Gyrfalcon's Keep nine phantom dragons
2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior
umg no need to match this length i just felt like the writes suddenly so.. hi. most of it is irrelevant since it's covering a few days worth of time i guess lol so you can skip to the end
<style type="text/css">.ame {margin:auto; width:530px; text-align:justify;font-size:11px;} .ame q {color:#7a2638; font-family:georgia;font-weight:bold;letter-spacing:1.3px;} .ame p {margin:0px;text-indent:30px;}</style>

Although loathe to admit any attachment too deep, she had happily fallen back into what could be called her coastline routine. She liked the territories here, revered their energies and their resources alike, so being amongst them appeared to be in her best interests. And, with the daylight hours increasing and the temperatures comparatively pleasant, she found herself in decent spirits despite unnecessarily busy thoughts that came and went.

For the first time in a while she had thought at length about her honored mother, the single-most important wolf she had known, and was curious of how the winter had been upon her mountain. It had then occurred to her that perhaps Yuurei and Makyo had bred again for this year, meaning she was possibly no longer the last survivor of their Rikudou wolves. It seemed likely, but she did recall last year's troubles. It had not appeared easy for her dam (although she had taken it all in apparent stride) and this memory stirred an uncomfortable feeling in the pit of Ame's gut, one that had stuck for several hours.

So, perhaps not. The sage would do what she felt best, of that Ame had been certain. Which spurred some fleeting relief. Although that only meant that the weight of the clan's continuation rested on her. That was no more pleasant an idea...

She had stewed long enough to almost turn inland towards the old homeland and gallop until she could run no more, just to know. Even as a great sage of her mountain, Amekaze's mother was an aging wolf. Winter, and potentially bearing a litter, could have taxed her too steeply and Ame would not know. She had paced with his thought in mind and ground her teeth until blood seeped from her gums.

When she turned too far inward, a storm began to brew out over the sea. Distracting and oddly welcome, the thunderstorm of a few days prior had only further served to enliven her. Winter's fatigue was easy to forget then and even her focus could sharpen there. It had been so long since she'd heard the roll of thunder and seen the lightning, so she quickly welcomed its electricity into her veins.

The need to prowl -- to move, at the very least, had been a deep insatiable itch. So she stayed busy. Hunting, ranging, and all else, she covered the beaches and the forest alike. She even took time to romp, for although in her solitude, it felt good to kick up her heels unabashed. There was little rest to be had but opposed to dwelling on what she could not know, it was the wise choice.

Now, days after, the sleepless hours had caught up to her and winter's coldness deepened once again. She awoke slowly and peered blearily ahead before shaking the debris out of her wild coat. It was only midday, but chilly out. She greeted this with a look of indifference and pulled herself to stand.

Amekaze had recently settled in the forests at the foot of the small mountain. It was not far from the river she favored, the Ridge pack, or the shore. However, she rarely trekked far up towards the slopes. The dense forests provided her enough and usually her attention was elsewhere. The upper reaches of the mountain had never called out to her, either..

There was nothing hurried about her actions today as she drifted towards a small cache she had built to unearth some old leftovers. This only took the edge off her hunger, so soon enough, she was wandering deeper into the woods hunting. There was a vague trail and her tired eyes scanned the woodlands, while her ears swiveled and nostrils flared.

The keening cry of a falcon broke her focus. She paused to listen. Based on her observations, not many birds of prey appeared to winter here. Likely they flew to warmer grounds or hunting territories elsewhere. Yet clearly, this one was here now. She narrowed her scrutinizing stare.

In the dreary skies above the treetops, with wings outstretched hung the imposing figure of a large bird. Amekaze continued to watch and when her paws found motion again, she was still leery. It was not far but she soon found she had lost sight of it, only to be reunited by the swoop of wings through the otherwise quiet trees. The bird had swung low, swooping a horizontal trail across her sights, and then vanished into the treetops again. The dark wolf furrowed her brow and sought explanation for this only to come up short.

Amekaze continued her hunt with renewed caution. She could feel the eyes on her and knowing this caused her to bristle out her coat.

Her path went no further up in elevation and instead zig-zagged through the trees. She stuck to her tasks, all the while hoping to shake the sensation of being followed in time.

[Image: 5ifpFkc.png?1]
i want to bleed in the 「r a i n
338 Posts
Ooc — Me
It was only lately that Pump had begun to contemplate her place in the Horizon ridge. It was two months since she had joined them, believing that it was the dire neccessity of survival. It had turned out that all this time she had managed to live perfectly well on her own. Scavenging had provided her with everything she had needed. There were no people there she could call friends. Akhlut had fallen out of her favor a very long time ago - the alpha was distant and hadn't done anything to impress her. He sought honor and loyalty and yet forgot that you had to earn it from your followers.

Therefore the moment her caches were empty, Pump left the lands. She had overcome her unwillingness to go anywhere far. This time she was driven by curiosity. And maybe a little hope that the grass was greener on the other side of the hedge. Her path led to the west - through the Ravensblood forest and further than she usually wandered. Gyrfalcon's keep was a new place to her, untouched by the presence of other wolves. She enjoyed that and went on exploring. After a while she caught scent of something very much alive and edible. This sparked her interest and the wolf-dog began tracking, unaware that there was another lone wolf not far away from her.
2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior
<style type="text/css">.ame {margin:auto; width:530px; text-align:justify;font-size:11px;} .ame q {color:#7a2638; font-family:georgia;font-weight:bold;letter-spacing:1.3px;} .ame p {margin:0px;text-indent:30px;}</style>

She stalked on, over vague trails of prey that so far had not led her anywhere definite yet. She admittedly was somewhat distracted, her eyes awfully eager to turn towards the treetops and skies curiously despite the vague thrum of hunger that would only get louder as the hours passed. Amekaze kept going until something distinct slowed her up.

She began to adjust her path and focus on it, but the sound of wings overhead shot her attention straight up once again to see the bird's newest retreat from sight. Her fur stayed prickled and she huffed, moving on a little faster this time.

Their paths all but crossed not long after. Amekaze lifted up her head, her eyes narrowing as she did to see the dark-furred creature better -- who had a very odd look about her, with a touch of the Ridge's scent on her deep black coat. Ame knew many of the Ridge's wolves (even with the Ridge's trademark not being an overly strong smell at play here), but this was not a familiar scent or face.

Purposeful strides aimed her closer and Amekaze chuffed, appearing confident in the way she held her body. So I am not alone here, she said, masking her distraction to the best of her ability. This was the first canine she had seen here in all the time she had spent lurking about.

338 Posts
Ooc — Me
Pump was caught off guard by the sudden appearance of the other wolf. She forgot all her endeavour to hunt down the small prey and stopped in her tracks. The fur bristled along her spine, tail was raised just above the level of her body. Ears were perked up and her gaze was locked on the foreign figure. Surely it was a wolf from head to toes - lean and probably agile, a loner, perhaps, since she was sure that this one did not live in the ridge or anywhere nearby.

They stood too far from each other for any serious conflict to arise, but Pump did not trust the stranger and was ready to run as fast as she could any moment. In a short distance she figured she could outrun the other one. "So it seems," she returned, tilting her head slightly to the side and waiting to hear, what more there was to be said.
2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior

As one mere wolf, the symbol of her strength paled. She always felt the spur of possessiveness when she unexpectedly encountered another in a place she liked to use, but always had to bite back the reactions that may follow. Her existence, purposeless outside of survival, didn't necessarily entitle her to much and the nature of the very beast meant she could lay no formal claims to nature's lands.

She loomed closer by a few steps and with her ears turned fully forward, she took in the words -- as sparse as they were. It is rarely so, she said, sharpening her green eyes into a squint. Amekaze kept her muzzle lifted up and sniffed curiously, all while being increasingly domineering with her stance until the much fluffier canine rebuked her. Mm, so what draws you from the Ridge to here? she asked briskly. She suspected hunting, as was what had drawn her in too, but all the more reason to be vaguely possessive of these slopes -- for right now, anyway. Of course, it could just be the will to explore. There were many times when she roamed as aimlessly as she did for that reason alone.

338 Posts
Ooc — Me
The black she-wolf didn't seem to be very friendly, which was a relief for Pump. This meant that she didn't have to pretend to be all friendly and nice, if she felt entirely different inside. Being in a pack meant to stick to some certain rules and boundaries. Now that she was on her own - she could be herself and no one would think badly about her for that. "That's good," Pump managed to interject a remark. She had sought out solitude lately more than companionship. She had walked the Ridge's lands praying that she wouldn't have to meet anyone.

"Curiosity," Pump replied. "I have been wondering, if living there or by this tree here would make any difference?" she beckoned to a randomly chosen fallen tree that was lying in the distance.
2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior

Her ears switched to the remark, finding that while she did agree that it was good to have little company here, the nature of the other's presence here negated this for her. She stared and stood still to listen, almost needing to bite back a short laugh -- ah, so this was another pack beast feeling.. dismayed about such a standing. Amekaze knew that her decision to stay alone all winter had not been made in poor choice.

I could not say from any experience as I only know the Ridge from the outside, but I would not doubt it. You speak like it is an issue, she remarked nonchalantly with a roll of her shoulders, then ghosted closer with a loose walk. The Ridge was an interesting thing to her and more so than any other had managed to be. She was most allured by the prospect of still maintaining some of her freedoms while gleaning the benefits of a pack, yet others seemed more perturbed by this. Not that she fancied it enough to pledge herself just yet, though.

She arced a circling path around the other, greedily getting a full, good look at her as she awaited an answer. The scent of the Ridge was more faded than she had originally realized and the more she looked at her, the more Ame questioned what precisely this canine's heritage was.

338 Posts
Ooc — Me
"An issue..." Pump repeated the last word and thought a bit. Where was the issue - with the pack or with herself? She had experience of living in a group, she had gone through the ups and downs with having to tolerate others. The simple truth the wolf-dog had learned was that, if you stuck together, you had better chances of survival. None of the wolves in the Bilberry hills had been good friends, they were strong individuals, survivors, they were brought together not because they needed company of others, but because, if they cooperated they were stronger, tougher... a force to be recognized.

She couldn't say any of this about the Horizon ridge. There were few strong wolves - Jinx, for example, or recently befriended Kennedy - the rest? Sentimental fools. Her issue probably was that her expectations had been too high. Maybe the issue with the pack was that it was led by a very young wolf with no experience of life. "Alone in the crowd of people," she summarized, how she felt about all of this. "But you are a loner yourself," Pump continued, observing the other carefully, while she neared her to do the same. "Do you mind telling, how is the life here in the wilds?"
2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior

Her ears quivered attentively as the words were parroted back to her, but not immediately paired with a real answer. Amekaze then assumed it was too difficult to put into words, or perhaps not wholly understood just yet. She did not pry further and waited, with her first response being a soft 'hm' sound and then a nod to the question posed as she contemplated her answer.

Indeed, she was only a mere loner. It had become a look and lifestyle that suited her well, she believed, but it was bound to come to an end eventually. It suits me and my interests for now, but is not easy. For if the fluffier canine might be enamored by the idea of freedom, she ought to know it was not without consequence. Amekaze had worked hard to survive the winter. She had her upbringing to thank for the abilities and skills given to her that allowed her to survive, even when circumstances were unforgiving.

But Amekaze wouldn't elaborate in too much depth, for it was of little consequence to her what this wolf did or did not do. Ame had found Akhlut to be one of the more suitable leaders for herself, but she was not an orthodox being. What she liked may not appeal to all, and apparently it made this individual feel alone in a crowd -- a notion that Amekaze did not fully understand. I can make no formal claims but if the desire strikes, I can do as I please, even if that means leaving entirely. However, this is a region ruled by packs, with new ones constantly appearing and taking free spaces and hunting grounds away from me. It is a delicate balance, she said in truth with a series look on her face.

338 Posts
Ooc — Me
Pump did not fear hardships. She had survived many harsh winters before, had dealt with immense hunger to the point, where she had been forced to feed on the dead carcasses of her packmates. In her short life she had gone through horrors many wolves didn't experience in a lifetime. Therefore living in the wilds alone was not about being easy or hard, rather - whether it was possible. And since this wolf didn't look too bad she concluded that the answer to her first question was a yes.

There was truth in the loner's words. You could be fine and alone and live on good hunting grounds as long as no one else made claims. You could fight one individual, but not an entire group. It would be a suicide mission. Then again - you were free to go and live, wherever you wanted. Wasn't that worth the price of the certainty in life a pack offered? "What are your reasons not to join any of the packs here?" she asked.
2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior

Her expression remained impassive, even in the face of another question. Ame had not expected this; rarely did pack wolves have any need to ask about lonerhood like they were considering it as a lifestyle for themselves. Usually it was the opposite, namely in her case. This truly was a strange, strange land.

Mm, what were your reasons for joining the pack you did? she queried back first before answering, changing the question to fit her. It may have seemed like Ame was dodging answering at first, even if she knew exactly what her response would be, but she was curious and ready to turn it on its head. I have many reasons. Namely, not many are a good fit for me, and some leave me utterly unimpressed.. she said with a noncommittal roll of her shoulders. Not all of the packs fell under this, but most of them. She was intentionally vague.

338 Posts
Ooc — Me
Pump had lived in a group since her birth and up until now hadn't realized that there could be another way. Being a lone wolf during her travels didn't actually count, because she had been on a lookout for a new pack. What did she seek in the pack? Loyalty? Trust? Strength? Chances of better survival? These were her priorities. She was not a making friends type of person, but she could live with that too.

"Care to tell, why they didn't fit you? Why didn't they impress you?" Pump queried further.
2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior

Her only pack had been family, but their family was not.. what she assumed was entirely typical. Even to this day she still could not claim to understand the unspoken depths of what it was her sire and dam truly shared. Secretive as they were, all Ame knew was that their combined methods of leadership to balance one another out was strong and effective. It was not anything she ever saw replicated (even in small part) here.

You did not answer my question, she chuffed, reminding of it then. Ame was not all answers in exchange for nothing and admittedly, she was curious about what drew this wolf to the Ridge in the beginning. She could remember when the Ridge was just freshly formed. It had been around that time that she had met Akhlut.

It is difficult to explain, she began, for much of it went by just what she felt deep, deep in her bones. I seek a balance of many things: freedom, camaraderie, strength worth bowing to.. among other things. None have met this, in full..

338 Posts
Ooc — Me
"Then your views about pack-life are not very different from my own," Pump remarked, when she had heard Amekaze's answer and contemplated it a little. It was a shame that while Ridge had some strong individuals or those, who had a good potential to be such, there was nothing that would hold them together. It was hard to tell, why it was so - whether it was only the alpha's fault or there were other underwater rocks.

"I didn't want to die," she replied to the loner's question earlier. This one simple thing was the driving force behind many of Pump's decisions and actions. "I sought strength, protection and opportunities to hunt more effectively. It turned out that I can provide myself pretty well without others... But maybe it is because these are quite peaceful lands," she mused.
2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior

On rare occasion, she privately considered her own worth as a leader. With her standards so high and the image of what she was seemingly so clear in her head, it occurred to her that perhaps none would suit, and yet, her motivation to take it for herself was far from fully-fledged. A pack of wolves relying on her did not hold any appeal for someone as aloof as unsociable as she, even if she assumed she may make for a strong, decisive leader with time. It was not to be. Not now.

She chuffed another low sound then, but with different intonation. There was solace in finding a like-minded soul but.. Ame knew it was not easy to feel this way. It is unfortunate that it is so hard to find what we want. One would think, that by nature of our kind alone, that any pack life should provide better.. yet I can survive alone and not feel that I am missing anything dire. she murmured thoughtfully. But you are right, these are lands steeped in peace and existing as a loner is made easier by this. I only question if it is permanent. Her expression darkened momentarily. She wondered if ever these lands had tasted the blood of wartime. Prior to her arrival here, they had been nearly untouched, so it seemed unlikely that they had. By the nature of her youth, upbringing, and even the circumstances of her existence, she was continually wary of the concept of war.

338 Posts
Ooc — Me
Blood and wartime were not the things what Pump had had in mind, when she had talked about a peaceful life. Bilberry hills pack was located far from any other settlement of their kind. Maybe it was because of the near proximity of the Big Road and the flashing, metal deer, as well as occasional appearance of odd creatures. They had never had a conflict that would start a war. Trespassers were simply and quickly ended - a common and neccessary violence. No mutiny ever had arisen among the ranks. Their biggest fear was famine during winters, which were quite harsh and not all survived it. This was not an occasion here. This place was balanced, peaceful by Pump's definition.

"Nothing is permanent, therefore I see no point in worrying about future, if you live here and now and are fine," Pump said in a rare moment of sharing a wisdom. "What is your name, loner?"[/align]
2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior

She always felt an infuriating contradiction when considering the possibility of experiencing wartime again anywhere except for in the name of Rikudou and Shikkotsurin's territories. Having tasted it young, she knew how -- how to fight, pitted against whoever the enemy was without remorse... but at the same time, it was far from her best side.. despite how they had honed her. Amekaze put the thoughts of it away before foul, bitter memories could resurface.

That is true, and really the best way to look at it. My homeland tasted war, so richly that my brothers died because of it. Aside from the brother she had been forced to cripple or the younger brother that had gone missing, but this was inconsequential. She sighed. It is second nature to consider it on occasion, she rolled her shoulders in an infrequent expression of anything remotely personal, but as flippant as the mention was, she was not delving into anything further. I go by Ame. You? Having once been familiar with most wolves of the Ridge, she was curious about this one's name to match to face.

338 Posts
Ooc — Me
Finally there was someone with a short and simple name. Considering the fact that almost every wolf Pump had met here had not only one, but two or three names, nickname and a family name that ran in great history of many generations, this was a very welcome change. The wolf-dog was a simple being and she enjoyed if the world was ran in simple terms.

"Pump," she replied, deciding not say her full name, which sounded silly and unnecessarily long. Her grandma had taught her many useful things, but she had had her quirks and had never revealed, why Pump was Pump or what exactly the name meant. As much as she knew - she had deserved to have it. Others in her pack hadn't been so lucky.

"Are you from around here? Or have traveled far and a lot?" she decided to turn to more casual subjects. Dwelling on philosophical things for too long was not very healthy, according to her.
2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior

She had her lengthier titles but using them was useless here, as a loner like herself. Ame preferred to keep her identity as unspecific as she could even if she was proud of where it tied her to. Some wolves seemed overly eager to share but not her, and she nodded in quiet acknowledgement of the other dark wolf's similarly simplistic title.

Mm, I am from a place more inland by at least a few days of travel, she answered. North, and towards the east, was where her homeland was relative to here. It had taken her only than just a couple of days to get here from there because she had meandered and moseyed much more, but she guessed it could be done in much less if one was devoted to the trek. It was not impossibly far away but definitely not a day or two trip total. And you? I do not assume you are from here since I have yet to find anyone who truly is, and never have a seen a wolf.. as you are? She tilted her head, hoping her question was portrayed properly enough.

338 Posts
Ooc — Me
"No, not really," Pump replied, trying to remember, how long it had taken for her to travel from Bilberry hills to Teekon wilds. She had never put much importance in numbers, therefore it was hard to tell. There had been many stops along the way, since her aim had not been to come here exactly. She had simply been looking for a new place to live and belong and happened to find it here. The fact that it hadn't worked out the way she had planned, didn't matter.

Pump furrowed her brow, when Ame referred her looks as something extraordinary. It wasn't the first time during her stay here and it always was confusing. She didn't see herself any different than the rest of the wolf population. Non-uniform wolves were very common in her pack, therefore she was very tolerant to diversity. After all - looks were not the thing that mattered, your worth as a person did. "By that you mean?" she urged Ame to tell, what exactly was off in wolf-dog's looks.
2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior

As spring continued to thaw the landscapes, she had admittedly considered returning more strongly. But, she would have to go back without anything to show for it. She may have cleared her thoughts and found a piece of an inner sanctity that had been lost around Mizuna's death and honed her solo survival skills to a dangerous edge, but these were not physical.

Anyway, as she had almost expected, she had not worded herself so well. She was used to it, although knew her further explanation may either be too unclear still or too blunt. I mean to say that your features are different from the typical that I usually see, not to say she meant it in a bad way, though. From the extra fluff of her fur to her ears that sat differently, it was a curiously interesting look that she had never seen before. I wondered if perhaps it was something to do with where you had come from? for she knew subspecies differed and were sometimes tied to where they had come from. But also, that this was not always the case. Since Pump had said she hadn't come from far, Ame doubted it now.

338 Posts
Ooc — Me
"Is that so?" Pump asked feeling curious. She had never seen her reflection (nor would she recognize herself, if she saw it somewhere), therefore she didn't understand, why did others treat her like she looked different. As far as she was concerned, they all looked pretty much the same. Extra fluff, fancy ears, odd coloring - that didn't matter, as long as they all had four feet, decent tail and a head with functioning brain.

"I don't think that my former pack mates looked any different than any of you here," she replied. "There was a bit more diversity, but nothing as peculiar as white and sepia colored wolves I have encountered here," she remembered, how hard it was not to gape at Jinx or Pied because of their unusual pelt color. "Now... these I can call odd..." she finished her musings.
2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior

Ame nodded, for she had meant what she had said. Not many looked quite like Pump did, but she was still very wolf in appearances, so Ame did not peg her as anything but one. She had seen her fair share of hybrids of the coyote sorts, and wolves of varying subspecies, so she knew their kind could come in all sorts of ways.

She considered herself very typical in contrast. Where she had come from, this look was rather commonplace, although with some wolves being simply bigger and bulkier than she was. Ame's features were not outstanding considering what she was used to.

It appeared the perhaps Pump felt similarly in her own way, judging by her words, but it was the pale wolves that were different to her. Ame chuffed a light almost-laugh. So it seems to just depend on what we are accustomed to. In my homeland, many of us were dark as I am, but some white and tawny.. however most of them were individuals that had come from elsewhere, but I was still used to seeing them.. she mused. Her father's clan was full of dark gray, deep browns and blacks with only subtle accents of anything lighter than silver. Ame had never met other from her mother's blood, but legend said they were dark-furred. She had never thought of any of their structural features to be outstanding, either. Just default, but she realized how this was merely because it was what she had grown up around.

338 Posts
Ooc — Me
ooc: I will fade it here. Thank you for the thread!

"Looks have never mattered to me as much as the person behind them," Pump concluded their conversation. Pretty is as pretty does. Another wisdom her grandmother had used and everyone in her former pack had followed. Beauty had never been considered as a valuable quality. It didn't reflect your skills in the least.

"Well, it was nice talking with you, Ame," she was ready to leave. Already it felt that she had stayed here longer than necessary. "I will be heading back," for a moment she had wanted to say "home", but then changed her mind. She was not sure of her future in the Horizon ridge. "May you fare well in the wilds," she wished the lone wolf and turned to leave.
2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior
:D

Amekaze nodded, taking the conclusion in stride and finding she agreed all the same. Appearances were trivial, despite her penchant for observing all she could. Her critical eyes aimed to see deeper than just the surface, anyway. That was where the real matters of interest were, even in the most curiously marked of individuals.

Farewell, she said in return, considering making mention of their paths perhaps crossing again, but she refrained for the time being. Ame wondered if pack life would become more to Pump's liking, or if she would mosey away when it was no longer enough to keep her rooted. Whatever the case, the dark loner dipped her muzzle and was on her way as well. She headed further up the mountain alone.