Moonspear some to dust and some to gold
2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior
All Welcome 
A new day dawned and a bit uncharacteristic to her normal, she arose just before the sunrise finished. Now that the dust had begun to settle regarding the chaotic recent events, she was working herself back down to a far more appeased state of mind. Rounding her borders should help, she guessed, but judging by the warmth of the morning already, there would only be a few hours during which she could work comfortably. 

She wasted no more time and set out with determination on her heels. When she reached the borders, she marked them generously -- because she may as well make use of one of her more annoying side-effects of pregnancy. Her claim, her mountain, her rules, and thus, her comfort ensured above all else. This would be clear, crystal clear, from here on out. There was going to be no room to question it, otherwise she'd get to put her teeth to work yet again and without a single shred of hesitation. This was not to say she wanted it to be that way, but if it was, she'd smother it quickly.

Her patrol continued on at a good pace for a while, and thankfully all seemed well here underfoot. No trace of the duo of wolves they had chased off, no hide or hair of Lazarus, no other disturbances. Nothing. Peace and quiet, finally.

She found a patch of shade and decided to rest and recharge a bit. The heat wore her down quickly, lately, so she reclined on her side to pant it out until she felt like moving again. Meanwhile, her stare was hawkish. Even from her shaded spot, she was ever watchful.
[Image: 5ifpFkc.png?1]
i want to bleed in the 「r a i n
380 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
I have no idea how this fits into my timeline XD

He had been on guard since Lazarus' attack of Ame, worried that somehow, someone else would try the same thing. The chances of that were slim, especially from another pack mate, but Dash was blissfully unaware of the betrayal that Althaia and Harley had committed, or even Charon. He didn't think there was, or would be, and issue with their mateship, but things were about to come to light.

He had picked up on Ame's strong scent and followed it, his intent protection. His nose was low to the ground, as was his gaze, as he walked along. So focused on her scent was he, that he failed to noticed just how close he was getting to her. He was walking at a fast pace, hoping to catch up to her. When his gaze finally went up, he was almost on her as she laid in the shadows. He stopped abruptly, and retreated a few steps. Ame- I'm so sorry, I should have been looking where I was going. He lowered his body quickly in respect to her.
Feel free to tag Dash as needed. Unless otherwise asked, all threads are AW. 
2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior
She had managed to get comfortable, reclined with her paws outstretched and the rest of her only halfway propped up on her side. With a bit of time she'd cooled down somewhat, thanks to shade and soft mountain breezes together. However, the sun was getting hotter, the skies cloudless and bright, and humidity probably bound to climb too if the last several days were any indication. She felt a frown creeping up on her. She didn't look forward to it.

When Dash appeared abruptly, she was all attentions on him as soon as she could be. Her ears swung aggressively forward and maybe her glare read a little more hotly than intended. His arrival straightened her up into a sit but his step back and apology eased her somewhat, enough that her ears fanned back with a slow exhale. "Dash," she said with a quick nod of greeting. She tilted her head at him and watched him more intently than normal. At least as far as she knew, he was not involved in any of this recent trouble. In fact, perhaps even the opposite. He was one of them quite devoted to the search for Lazarus and for that, she was grateful. "Where are you headed?" and so focused, too. He he know something she did not?
380 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
She had looked angry at first, but it seemed she relaxed a little with his apology. He really hadn't meant to come up on her like that. He was just so engrossed in her scent and following it that he had forgotten to actually look where he was going. She asked where he was headed, and he wasn't sure what to say. Dash wasn't a liar, though. He just thought the truth might sound weird. 

Actually, I was headed to you, he admitted. With what happened with Lazarus, I wanted to make sure you were alright... I wouldn't put it past him, if he's able to, to come back. He had been on edge regarding Lazarus from the moment he met the male. That feeling had never left, and now it was amplified by the attack on Amekaze. Being protective, he had followed her to make sure it didn't happen again. I wanted to say, too, that I'm at your disposal. If you need protection, I would happily provide it. Was that weird? He was basically offering himself as a body guard to the Alpha.
2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior
Her patience was brutally thin lately -- heat, healing, stress, disobedient wolves, and feeling like constantly rolling her eyes at all the bullshit life kept heaping up in front of her just to begin. But, Dash deserved none of this ire and she hoped he would be understanding, since she did check it back quickly. He went on to answer so she listened.

Few had broached the topic of Lazarus with her, and for obvious reasons. Due to this, she did not know what exactly they knew, how much or how little. Watching him carefully did not seem to allude to much. He just appeared to know what he needed to know. Amekaze would take that as a good sign. "I am alright," she assured with a soft nod. She was better now although still not accepting many inquiries on the details. "And I agree.. he may," she supposed and started to frown. "He may still believe he still has some right to the mountain," and her, although the lines between the two could blur readily. He had overpowered her (only after lightning weakened her already), and she still stung from that blow, but it would never be enough to snuff her out entirely.

She didn't know exactly how badly Charon had injured him, or if he was even alive enough to come back to claim anything of his-- perceived as such or otherwise. She hoped it would not come to that, that her puppies truly were not of his creation, and that she could see a conclusion to this soon -- if he was not dead already.

She shifted her weight just a little. His words carried a heaviness to them. "I appreciate it," she said in a quieter, thoughtful tone and nodded. "You have done much already -- and after all that had happened to you, as well. I just do wish that it was not necessary," she shook her head and felt frustration roiling. This was her unfinished business, but she would always keep this in mind.
380 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Dash wasn't usually one to hold a grudge, though in the case of Lazarus, it seemed he was. The male had made what Dash felt was the ultimate betrayal, and Dash didn't even know the half of it. He was only told that Lazarus had attacked Amekaze, not any more of the sordid details. Still, Amekaze's reaction did not off-put him, as he felt it was his fault for almost stumbling into her.

Confusion came over his face as she told him that Lazarus might still believe he has a claim to the mountain. I don't understand how he would think that. You and Charon are the only ones who hold that right. Dash knew all of the Moonspear wolves had a right to claim this as their home, but he got the distinct impression that wasn't what she meant. I didn't like him from the moment I met him, he confessed to her. I feel as though I have failed you and Charon by not expressing that. Maybe if he had, the Alphas would have kept a closer eye on the other male and this attack could have been prevented. 

He felt guilty, and shook his head when she tried to commend him for what he's done. I don't feel I've done enough. I wish it wasn't necessary, either, but he's a threat, and I don't want him getting to you again. He didn't even know Amekaze was pregnant, but if he did, it would only heighten his protection of her.

He wasn't really sure where this new-found protective feeling for her came from, but it was there. It was almost a gut feeling he had that he just couldn't ignore. Amekaze seemed to want to deny his offer of protection, but Dash was unsure if he could take no for an answer. Let me help you, he said softly, his gaze at her front paws. It wasn't a question, but also not a command. It was a statement, one he hoped she would accept. 
2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior
Amekaze was silent a beat, not certain how to answer why she believed, no, knew, he would think that without having to explain exactly what had happened. Whatever Charon had done may have changed it somehow, or with her heat being over he may have been a touch more mild, but she still held firm to that belief that Lazarus wanted this mountain. He'd made it clear to her. He never left until removed, he'd heeded her (until that happened), and hindsight told her too that it should have been far more obvious sooner -- especially as Dash spoke against him. She nodded somberly, feeling bitter because she had not done them better, either. "I knew he caused some unease in the ranks, especially among the other males. I did not know how.. personal it had ever been," she grumbled. "To me, he was always mindful. Until he was not." she huffed, and that had been the last of it.

Nevertheless, Lazarus and whatever was left of him aside, Dash was insistent and she knew right away she was not going to shake him so easily. Let me help you struck a certain chord and she eyed him, conflicted. Everything lately made her wary, distrustful, and just generally prickly feeling. This was no different on the surface. She wanted to keep it all at a certain distance. Helping her was not.. meant to be done in the typical sense, "I know," she said with a narrowing look. "He will be a threat until we can know with certainty that he is dead, unfortunately. I do not want the notion of him hanging over us, or me, constantly though." She exhaled a sigh and pulled herself up to stand, then stretch out -- first with her forelimbs forward. Once up, she shook her coat. "For starters, help me by finishing my patrol with me," she smirked, although an undertone of old tiredness began to seep through as she gestured towards the last swing of her route. She didn't rush to leave the shade yet though, but would hopefully keep this discussion going, just on the move so she could get two things done at once.

Ideally they could resolve this strife all soon but her hopes were not impossibly great yet. The trail grew colder by the day and soon enough, she wouldn't want to spare the able-bodies to go on a wild chase for him, especially not when she would no longer be attending the borders and would have lives of whelps to concern herself with. That edged closer by the day already.
380 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
It seemed that Amekaze already had an understanding of how Lazarus had come off to some of the other wolves at Moonspear, but the male had been mindful of her. It struck Dash as odd, but he supposed if Lazarus had his eye on Ame from the beginning, with less than noble intentions, the attack didn't seem that out of place. If Lazarus realized he would never get her, maybe he got angry and lashed out. He didn't ask of the specific details, though, thinking that part he really didn't need to know. 

She confessed she understood that he would be a threat until proof emerged that Lazarus was dead, but she didn't want it hanging over her head. Dash took that as a refusal of his services, and was about to argue further when she invited him along on her patrols. He felt a sense of relief, even if maybe she meant she only wanted him for the patrols and nothing after that. But, he would not give up so easily. He nodded. I'd be happy to, he said. He moved to allow her to go first, intending to follow.

There was one thing that Dash wondered about, though he wasn't sure if it was rude to ask. I was wondering, he began. Charon had mentioned that you two might be considering pups soon? Dash had never been around pups, except when he was one, and he wondered what it would be like.
2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior
When he agreed, she picked up a steadied walk with her eyes on the trail ahead. It was good that the borders had seemed quiet lately. The removal of Lazarus had, admittedly, made for one less wolf making the rounds as consistently as he had once done, although she hoped more of their newer recruits would soon step up in full to fill any blanks in -- and maybe make them even stronger in the long run, especially with their middling ranks having settled in decently so far. Who was to say. Right now, she had a hesitant hope towards some of the newer faces who hadn't had a chance to make trouble yet.

Dash wondered, it seemed, and so did she until she heard his explanation. Amekaze could appreciate how he could get to his points seemingly readily enough. She didn't know how to feel about hearing and Charon had evidently covered the topic though, since it was even one that she was not exactly the best at maneuvering about. It made her wonder how long ago that had been. The pale alpha had seemed a little lukewarm about her confirming her pregnancy to him, but she suspected she knew why. "Yes," she nodded, and did not know how much curiosity he had in the matter yet. "Soon." Amekaze didn't meant to let it sound so ominous in case it did. "Probably.. in another turn of the moon, or so," she added. It was only her best estimate of their arrival, and out loud, it sounded so very soon.
380 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Amekaze confirmed what Charon had said about the Alpha pair trying for pups. But, he was mildly surprised to hear it would be so soon. You're pregnant? he asked, his expression showing his curiosity. While Dash knew it was one hundred percent not his business, and he would never say anything against the choice they had made, he was a little worried about having a new generation born just before winter. Would it not make it harder on everyone? 

He wondered, then, if Lazarus had found out that Ame was pregnant, and that was the reason he attacked her. Still, he couldn't fathom why, but the male was obviously crazy. Was more reason needed? He walked alongside Ame, keeping his head about her shoulder area as a sign of respect to her. It also gave him the opportunity to see what was on the other side of her. His gaze roamed over the area, as his nose searched for any scents that might be out of place. Lazarus' scent was still in the territory, but it was faint and would continue to fade until it was gone. 
2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior
She dipped her muzzle in a small, short nod. "I am," she exhaled. It wasn't something she'd made a lot of noise about, and would continue not to because it would be unnecessary to do so. With her heat falling when a lot of the pack was injured or preoccupied, that had somewhat let her slip under the radar with this, but she knew no one would really need to feel surprised. Maybe a little.. dismayed she'd let it wait this long, if anything. "I would have preferred them to come earlier in the spring or summer, but nature had other ideas," she justified with a frown. Charon had only been on the cusp of his sexual maturity, and she not blatant about signs of heat then. It had not been meant to happen.

She would have preferred spring puppies too and looking back, she knew what had played a part in why not. Nature had not guided her incorrectly. If she and Charon had conceived anything the first time, they would have been born right around when the locust swarm happened and thus the famine began. That was hardship she had no interest in. Even dealing with all this.. frustrating shit right now seemed better than watching her litter starve. If she had them now, in a moon or so, she'd still have the tail of summer and autumn to ease them through before winter's bite came. By then, hopefully she could mold them into survivors.

Amekaze fell into the rhythm of her routine. With Dash at her side, it gave her a greater sort of focus. With him, it was easier to not let her thoughts roam away to whatever bothered her when the scents around were wholly uneventful. He kept her a bit more on task. "Anyway, that aside, how far out have you ranged for Lazarus?" she asked quietly. She knew they had yet to find anything, but how far had they gone for sure?
380 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
A soft smile appeared on his maw when she confirmed that she was pregnant. Congratulations, he said happily. It would certainly give the pack something to look for, though he was worried that it might also give Lazarus a reason to return, to possibly try and finish his attack. Dash would not let that happen, however. Ame confessed she would have liked them to come in a more bountiful season, and Dash understood that. It may have made it a bit easier, but I’m sure with the help of the pack, they will be well fed. Pups were the future, and a reason to celebrate. He couldn’t fathom that anyone would feel any different about them.

Charon and I found some signs of him at Bramblepoint. It looks like he might have spent a couple days there before moving on. Charon is on a trail right now, but I wanted to come back and check up on the pack, and on you. His worry would make him protective of her, but not possessive as Lazarus had been, unbeknownst to him. Dash knew his place, and had no intention of overstepping himself. He was a follower to Amekaze and Charon, and he rather liked it that way.
2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior
It wasn't the worst timing it could be, she reasoned, since they would still have the end of summer and autumn to hopefully have bountiful hunts. With the famine behind them, she was admittedly more prickly about resources than she had been prior, so perhaps a hint of her trepidation about late summer whelps stemmed from that. Although, she reasoned, she probably would have found something to worry about no matter what time of the year it was. Something about the imagery of new fresh blooms budding everywhere and puppies underfoot simply seemed most natural, and idyllic to boot.

Still, she chuffed softly, grateful, to his congratulations. It did ease her worries when wolves of the pack took this news well. In the long run, she believed this would make it easier -- and better for her and these pups. Only Charon's kind of 'meh' response had really managed to concern her, though.

But, on Lazarus, she was stone-faced with a subtle prickle towards the subject when he mentioned their finds. She swiftly found that didn't bode well with her, nor the belief she had that he had died somewhere in the mountains courtesy his fall. However she remained hesitant to let too much on too soon. She'd need a minute with this information. "Hm," she grunted, and fought off the urge to lash her tail nervously at the thought. "Well, if anything, it is good to have some sort of hint to actually track from now." Amekaze kept her sights dead ahead. "While I would rather hear it be about finding his corpse," she grumbled, even after attempting to pick a positive out of it.
380 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
He held the same sentiments as she, nodding his head in agreement. Me, too. A trail was something, but a body would make them all happier. As they strolled along, his eyes scanned the area as his nose searched for any scents that weren't supposed to be there. Thankfully, he found none, but he marked the border anyways to make it stronger. 

He fell into an awkward silence, as he wasn't sure where to take the conversation from here. His thoughts did go back to the pups that would be here soon. The more he thought about it, the more excited he was. He hadn't even given much thought to them before, especially having his own, but he hoped to get some experience with Charon and Ame's pups, providing they allowed him to hang out with them.

Fade, maybe?
2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior
sounds good~
On Lazarus, she found she just wanted that closure that would only come from knowing he was done. She'd long since moved past the harms done to her specifically (what's done was done), worked diligently to cope with the fact that these puppies may not even actually be Charon's, and was tired of the idea of him inhabiting her concerns at all while the bulk of the ranging -- there still loomed the possibility that he could return, desire this mountain more than ever before, and stake a claim to the pups that could even rightfully be his. Her involvement in the possession of all of these things was what troubled her deeply..

Nevertheless, she readily did not drag that topic out any further and eased readily into the mindset of the patrol. Dash felt similarly, she was assured, and she remained thankful for his work in helping track -- even if nothing concrete came of their efforts. What mattered was that they continued to cover ground, and maybe even change the success of it all soon.

But for now, she meandered over the borderlands, sniffing and marking where appropriate. With two eyes and ears devoted to the task, they were thorough and effective. She took her solace in knowing that for now, in this very moment, all almost seemed well.