Dawnlark Plains I live in my own little world. But its ok, they know me here.
373 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
All Welcome 
For timeline purposes, this is after this thread and before this thread

Aviana laid at the entrance of her den, her head the only thing poking out of the hole in the ground. The sun was rising, and she enjoyed the rays of heat on her face. Normally, she would have laid out completely in the sun, but her heat had finally come, and she was camping out in her den. She knew she couldn't stay the entire duration, but she wasn't going to leave unless she had to.

She sighed, feeling a bit depressed. She knew she was getting older, and she wondered how much longer her body would be viable for puppies. She wanted them, but if she didn't have a mate, it wouldn't happen. She had spent much of her life avoiding males, and this was her punishment for it. It was kind of funny. Now that she had gotten over her fears, it seemed there were no available males around. She liked Shale quite a bit, but they had really only hung out once. There was Ulysses, as well, but he hadn't been around since their first meeting. Maybe it had been fluke. 

The sun suddenly left, and Aviana lifted her gaze to find that a cloud had blocked it. She gave it a dirty glare before turning her eyes back to the field in front of her.
[Image: CYEyvJP.png?4]
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
Pema was not the only one in heat this week, and although Grayday was pretty sure he knew who the other woman was, he still felt as though it was his duty to investigate. Not only to ascertain just who it was, but to make sure she was following the rules that he had laid out at the beginning of the season.

In his encounter with Thuringwethil, he had been submissive and reserved. He had not wanted to invite drama between the two packs, and the best way to do that had been to offer his utmost respect. In approaching Aviana, he was still respectful, but far less cautious. "Aviana," he greeted with a friendly woof. He stopped only a few paces away and sank to his belly, his tail wagging a few times before he settled into repose. "How are you feeling today?"
What's Mine is Ours
373 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
I'm so glad you joined!

As she watched her Alpha approach, Aviana's ears folded softly on her head and her tail wagged, though he probably wouldn't have been able to see it since it was inside the hole. Hey, Grayday, she greeted. He seemed in a good mood, for which Aviana was glad. She wondered how his eyes were doing, but she wasn't brave enough to ask. She didn't realize part of the reason they moved into the plains was so that their leader wouldn't run into things.

I'm okay, she responded. She assumed he could smell just fine, so he must have known her current situation. I'm in heat, she confessed. She had no intention of producing this year, so, Pretty pointless, though, huh? she chuckled. It was a way to let Grayday know she understood where she stood. 

She sighed, and then regarded Grayday a moment. She felt relatively close to him, and she very much trusted him, even with her feelings. This is going to be my fifth spring, and this heat is... late. I wonder if next year I'll even get one, she confessed. It was a fear of hers. She wasn't asking for leniency in Grayday's rules. She wasn't asking for pups this year-- who would she have them with, anyways? She just wanted to voice the fears that had been going through her head. She knew some wolves lived to see their double digits. Maybe it was fear, or maybe she was being realistic, but she didn't see herself living that long.
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
"I know," said Grayday, who had been attracted by this fact. He laid his head on his paws, though, to show that he had no ill or untoward intentions. He still remembered how fearful and submissive Aviana had been at the borders.

He listened solemnly to her worries, understanding them all too well. That had been him at Silvertip, wondering if opportunity would ever come knocking. But, unlike Grayday, Aviana was waiting patiently instead of going out and seeking her destiny. And she was older than he had been, too.

"You've been a good pack member, Aviana. Perhaps the stars will align for you next year," was all he could say. At the end of the day, he was more concerned about Cat and Pema's fertility than Aviana's, but if he could, he would reward her loyalty and hard work in the coming season. It wouldn't only be up to him, but he would certainly petition the more senior females for her sake.
What's Mine is Ours
373 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
He wasn't surprised by his heat, and Aviana figured as much. Maybe a younger wolf might be confused by her new scent, but Grayday was a seasoned male who knew exactly what it meant. She appreciated that he was relaxed and on her level. While she didn't think he could ever hurt her, it just gave her the extra proof so that she could relax.

She smiled as his praise, and even allowed herself to hope for next year. She wasn't so much of a pessimist that she wouldn't. Could you put in a good word for me? she joked. Aviana didn't have a religion, didn't think of the afterlife, and didn't really believe there was any outside force that controlled her destiny, aside from just nature. But, it didn't hurt to think that it might help her.
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
Grayday opened his mouth, about to joking agree, when he realizes what exactly she was saying. Not to put in a good word with Pema and Catori, but with nature itself. It hit him then that this might very well be her last heat. She might never get a chance to rear children. It had been the most meaningful experience in Grayday's relatively long life, and Aviana could soon be denied the opportunity.

By him.

"Aviana..." Was he really about to do this? "I think you should take your chance this year instead. If you want to have children, you should do it now. While you're sure you still can."

He eyed her as seriously as he could without actually being able to see her. "Even if you can't find a man who will stick around, there are plenty of men right here. We wouldn't let you starve."
What's Mine is Ours
373 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
She had been a little lost in thought, but Grayday saying her name got her attention focused on him. Hmm? she responded, wondering what he was going to say. She had expected him to joke back with her, but the words that reached her ears did not sound funny at all.

Aviana froze, as if movement might make her wake up from this dream that Grayday was giving her permission to have puppies this year. Did he really just say that? The blood pumped in her ears as her heart raced in her chest. He was even so bold as to say it really didn't matter who it was from- or whether they stayed or not. 

Grayday, she said breathlessly. Do you mean that? Surely, he did. Aviana thought she knew her Alpha well enough that this was not something he would joke about. That in and of itself gave her the hope that she might just be a mother after all. 

But, who? The first wolf that came into her mind was @Shale. But he had Pema, that was obvious. She thought about the other males in the pack, but none had really struck her fancy. There was the wolf she had met not long ago- Ulysses. He had seemed nice and well mannered. Maybe she would seek him out.
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
Grayday gave a solemn nod. "I don't want to be the reason you never get to be a mother. And you deserve this, Avi. You've been good to us," he assured her, crawling forward to give her a little nuzzle before backing off once more. "Just remember to follow the out of character breeding guidelines that can be found in our private forum."

He offered a little smile and a wag of his tail. "Let me know if you want sonone to go with you. I understand it can be frightening to go out on your own in this state."
What's Mine is Ours
373 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
She tried to get her heart rate under control, but it continued to race in her chest. She was mostly waiting to wake up from this incredible dream where Grayday was giving her a shot at having puppies. But, the wake never came, since she wasn't sleeping. 

She had no idea what she had done to deserve such a gift from him, but she wasn't going to question it again. She returned his nuzzle, and considered his offer. She understood his reasonings behind not wanting to send her alone. I appreciate the offer, but it might be a bit awkward to bring someone along on a...love trip, she chuckled, trying to put it delicately. I am so thankful for you, Grayday, she said, the emotion in her voice. If I do bare children, you will be the reason for it. Because otherwise, she would not have gone against his rules.
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
Grayday gave a solemn nod, resisting the urge to snort at the term 'love trip'. Apt, but not what he would have termed her voyage. "Alright, but be careful out there," he said, standing and stretching. He paused when she offered her gratitude, wagging his tail be remaining quiet for a moment. He would be responsible for these pups, even though that wasn't exactly what Aviana was getting at.

The male wondered, for a moment, if he was taking on too much in his old age. But the pack would be behind him on this; Aviana was a valued member, and who didn't love to see puppies running around? Sunny and the hunters would help provide for them, Shale and Sylvas would help protect them, and Catori and Pema would help nuture and guide them. Even if they might be a bit peeved at Grayday at first. Besides - he wasn't that old just yet.

"We all serve each other," he replied. He was only doing for Aviana what the pack had done for him. And, with that, he bid her adieu and turned to take his leave. Aviana had work to do.
What's Mine is Ours
373 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
She nodded, I will, she promised. She didn't want to get hurt, and she knew there was the possibility that someone she didn't want to mate with might attempt to push themselves on her. Aviana was scared of that, but for her future children, she'd fight off anyone she didn't want fathering them.

She watched him go, a myriad of thoughts swirling around her head. How would she find a male? How would she know a stranger was the right pick? She'd have to trust her gut, which up until now had always been cautious. But, she would find a way.