Hushed Willows I'll tell you stories of a better time
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
All Welcome 
Tagging for reference but its open to whoever!

Ibis was visiting with her new friend again. The one she didn't tell her mother about. The one that, she's come to realize, doesn't have a body attached to it. She knows by now that it's a skull of some kind of animal but that doesn't bother Ibis as much as it should; she's still got that child's innocence accompanied by a lack of experience and knowledge, an ignorance more than anything. Dredging it out of the dirt caused a few tiny vertebrae to crumble away from the base of the skull. Some bits of bone remained in the hole but she'd left them behind when Eleuthera caught her, and by now she's forgotten where the grave had been in the first place. The skull goes with her everywhere; she wants to find @Okeanos and show it to him the way she shares everything, from toys to food to her deepest secrets. The sentiment is soured a little bit when she thinks about @Eleuthera finding her there among the willows.

The skull is in her mouth, between her teeth like an apple in the mouth of a suckling pig. She drags her tongue across it just because, and feels the texture of the porous surface. Ibis determines that she doesn't hate that feeling but it's not as satisfying as the smooth quality of leg bones, or the awkwardly curving rib bones that mommy sometimes brings her. She tests her thoughts a few times as the skull shifts in her mouth, her gait causing it to slip and almost fall a few times.

By the time she stops, her mouth is dry and it feels like she's been breathing in cave dust for too long. As she begins to place the skull down upon the dirt, she pauses. Her eyes grow wide and she hastily looks around in case she isn't actually alone, as if maybe she knows she's got something she shouldn't, and when she deems the coast is clear Ibis sets the skull down. She licks her lips a few times to get her saliva flowing again, and then begins to circle the skull with her head up (almost like a ritual) but she's looking for her brother, wondering if he's around. 

She doesn't want to call out, but considers it when her patience grows thin. Ibis huffs softly to herself and then pauses in her parading, lifts her head, and yelps a tiny howl. Her voice isn't very well developed as in the past, but the sound is sharp and loud enough to carry through the trees.
719 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
The little yips caught her attention; Lily was happy to hear that the children were finally settling in and having fun. Delight's children, especially, had been sullen, and little wonder why. It was a big enough change for the adults. For the pups, it must have felt as if their whole world had been turned upside down. Things were getting better. . .finally.

Well, at least that's what she thought until her gaze fell on the object of Ibis's delight.

Erm, Lily blurted, lost for words. She padded closer, staring warily at the skull. Where did you--where did you get that, Ibis? she asked, trying for patience and calm and somehow finding it, at least in part. It looked slightly dirty, but not too old, and--god, was it a wolf skull? A small wolf, a child? Her stomach churned, and bile rose in her throat.
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
Drawn by her call, the wolf that arrived wasn't her brother or anyone she was particularly comfortable with. Lily might've been a friend of her mother's, but Ibis only knew her as an occasional sitter and otherwise, she was often running around and doing her own thing. But to have earned her attention rather than Okeanos' - well, that bothered her. She immediately shifted position, moving so that her prize was hidden behind her slight figure. 

Lily asks her question and Ibis huffs, looking away, looking around, acting like she hadn't just been caught with something she should've have. What? N-nothing -- She lied, poorly, and kicked some dried leaves over the skull. Have you seen Okee? I -- I wanted to play with Okee. She tried to redirect Lily's attention but it would likely not work out.
719 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
She broke into an unexpected rueful smile, settling back on her haunches and shaking her head. Okeanos, you mean? I haven't, sorry. Her sunset eyes lit on the leaves that Ibis had used to stash her, erm, toy away, though they were softer now. She supposed children were curious, after all. A skull didn't quite have the same meaning to them as it did to adults.

You don't have to hide anything from me, Lily said quietly. I'm not going to get you in trouble, or judge you. Heaven forbid. She and Freddie had been the ultimate partners in crime, back home. Jimmy and Dottie had always scoffed at their antics; they had really raised hell. Not going as far as playing with lupine remains, but, you know. . .

I am curious, though, she added, with a grin. What're you up to?
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
Yeah, she meant Okeanos, but when the adult said his full name she rolled her eyes and sighed; obviously that's who she meant! But she admitted that she hadn't seen him, so that made her pause and consider what to do next. Wherever Okee was, he must've been very busy or very lost in the willows - this place was still so new to them both.

You don't have to hide anything from me, Lily promised, which earned some big doe-eyes from Ibis. She wasn't sure if this wolf could be fully trusted but she was a pretty easy target when it came to such things, being eager to make friends and garner the attention of other wolves. So far she'd been pretty reclusive but Ibis would eventually grow out of that. If this wolf was really, truly, never-ever-ever going to make fun of her -- then maybe it was okay. Her tone said as much, and Ibis wanted to trust it.

Oh, ok... I guess, she mumbled as she slowly, deliberately, stepped back so that the skull was exposed again. The leaves shrouded it still, so Ibis nosed at them to uncover the prize and she flashed a quick look at Lily, still slightly concerned. Then, in a conspiratorial tone she said, I find this unner a tree! Thought it was a rock but its so soft, and -- I think its very pretty. She bat her lashes, innocent to the extreme and unaffected by the macabre association carried by the skull. It is, right?
719 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
To her utter relief, the girl began to melt, though she didn't miss the eye roll thrown her way. She smiled wider as Ibis pulled out the skull and brushed off the leaves, beginning to tell her all about her new toy. I think it's very pretty. It is, right?

Well, as pretty as a skull could be, Lily supposed. It was pleasantly smooth and round. Yes, I agree, the blackbird said, nodding. It's very unique. It doesn't look like any other rock around. You found buried treasure, I should say.

She laid down, placing her paws, sphinx-like, in front of her. What do you do with it? she asked, cocking her head. What sort of games could you use it for? Surely it's too soft to toss around, or to chew like a--a bone. A leg bone, anyway.
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
She didn't know very many big, complicated words. Unique was one she hadn't heard yet, but because of the inflection Lily employed when she used it Ibis got a positive vibe off of it. Her little face creased with a smile, one which grew triple the size when Lily called the object a treasure - it was! It really, really was. At least to Ibis; it might've been the most important object she'd ever owned.

The girl ducked low so that she could look at the skull. She studied the way the light caught on the curve of the forehead, closed one eye and spied the interior of one of the orbital cavities, and then when Lily asked about how she played with it - what games, and the awful mention of chewing on it - Ibis' head raised and she gawked at the dark woman with abject horror. It was an awful thought to imagine her little prize between someone's teeth.

Oh, no! No no, I.. I'm very careful with it, Her ears had lanced back across her blonde head at the very idea. The fur along her spine even bristled for a moment, although Ibis was not aware of this. I — I talk to him. When I can't find Okee, and I don't want mama to be sad, and... If I get sad, thinking of daddy. I talk to him, and he makes me feel better. She didn't understand the concept of secrets but in effect, that's what she was talking about. The little skull held every detail of her fears and misgivings, it was her best friend when she was at her lowest and most depressed state.

Maybe it wasn't right. Maybe Lily would tell her to throw it away, but she was so attached - and she was absolutely too innocent to realize how bizarre it was to have a friend that was actually very, very dead.
719 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
She nodded once, pleased that Ibis was taking proper care of the skull. Or, at least, as well as she could, given that it was really meant to be, you know, buried. A smile bloomed over her muzzle as the girl continued, her gaze moving from Ibis to the skull then back to Ibis again.

It was charming but sad. The cherub barely had anyone to speak to. She had resorted to sharing her problems with an old cranium, instead. Her expression grew mournful, just slightly, but she kept her eyes trained on the scene until Ibis was finished speaking.

That's all perfectly fine, Lily quasi-lied, a corner of her mouth quirking gently. It's good to have a friend. But Ibis. . .if you ever need to talk to someone, and you want someone to talk back--come find me. My ears are always open, she said, grinning as she rotated her auds in illustration.
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
Feeling a little bit exposed now, and not liking the sensation all that much, Ibis fell quiet. It was Lily's turn to break the silence and as she spoke, Ibis felt a little bit better. She liked what she was hearing - more than the promise given to her by the adult, she genuinely liked the tones and the quality of Lily's voice. When it ended, the girl gave a little nod and glanced to her "friend", the skull - Ok, I will, and for a moment it wasn't entirely clear if she was agreeing to the proposal or to something the skull might've said. When she glanced back to the dark wolf, Ibis was smiling shyly - and shifting her weight, having nothing else she wanted to say and wondering quietly if she could go. It occurred to her that she should ask, but she didn't want to be rude and mama always said she had to respect the bigger, stronger wolves.
719 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
There was a feeling of dismissal in the air that Lily recognized all too well; it didn't hurt, and she smiled. Say hallo to your friend for me, she said warmly, gazing down at the skull. I should get back to my patrols. Unless you wanted to come with me? she offered, raising her brows and leaving the door open.

It was a win-win for both of them, really. Go separate ways and they would be unbothered by the other, free to indulge in their thoughts and actions with no mind paid to anyone else for the next couple of hours. Travel together and they both would learn more about each other, as well as the world around them.