Hushed Willows [festival] if my heart were a turntable
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
Charon didn't believe what Gannet said to be truth, though he recognised that Gannet himself thought it truth. When he was younger, maybe Charon might've valled Gannet a filthy liar and he would've tried to drag him back to Moonspear to hold him to his duties. It didn't matter whether anyone had wanted him. It didn't matter whether he thought he repaid it. They had agreed that he would stay until Charon and Amekaze said that it was repaid.

I and Amekaze were the only ones who could tell you whether it was repaid, because that is what you promised us the day we spared your life, said Charon. I will not take the life I am owed, or drag you back to Moonspear by your scruff, even though I should. Your culture may not dictate it or understand it, clearly, but where I come from, words matter and a wolf sticks to them if they know what is good for them. You forfeited your life to us that day. We didn't kill you so that you may live and serve. That is the promise you made, and that is the promise you broke. It was not entirely so that it was 'his' culture -- youthful Charon had simply picked the 'cool' things from Ragnar and Thistle's viking culture that he liked and applied them to his own life and pack and values -- but even so, it was clear Gannet didn't think he had done wrong, because he didn't understand the viking values behind being a thrall. He didn't understand that they did not kill him only so that he may serve Moonspear for the rest of his life. Yeah, maybe he would've paid it off eventually, but now they would never know if he would've.

I'll stop wasting my time trying to make you understand this shit, Gannet. You were supposed to stay because you forfeited your life to us, but you were supposed to tell me you were leaving personally because you were my friend. His tone was cold, almost as if he did not mean the words. Perhaps because it was clear to him now that Gannet did not consider him anywhere near the same. No matter; he had learned his lesson. Charon turned away from Gannet, his expression cold. As he walked away to find Amekaze again he said decidedly: Next time I find some asshole Redhawk trying to protect a murderer on my borders, I'll just kill him.
Messages In This Thread
[festival] if my heart were a turntable - by Gannet - February 20, 2019, 12:26 PM
RE: [festival] if my heart were a turntable - by Charon - February 22, 2019, 02:19 PM
RE: [festival] if my heart were a turntable - by Gannet - February 23, 2019, 12:57 PM
RE: [festival] if my heart were a turntable - by Charon - March 02, 2019, 03:40 PM
RE: [festival] if my heart were a turntable - by Gannet - March 04, 2019, 01:40 PM
RE: [festival] if my heart were a turntable - by Charon - March 05, 2019, 05:44 AM
RE: [festival] if my heart were a turntable - by Gannet - March 06, 2019, 09:07 AM
RE: [festival] if my heart were a turntable - by Charon - March 09, 2019, 04:07 PM
RE: [festival] if my heart were a turntable - by Gannet - March 10, 2019, 11:12 AM
RE: [festival] if my heart were a turntable - by Charon - March 10, 2019, 04:38 PM