Noctisardor Bypass Raven wings sound like velcro when they fly.
330 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Joining 
A lone wolf prowls northeast of the bypass, head low near the dirt, with something gripped between his teeth. He tugs the thing along; it looks thick like an oak branch, but carries a ruby sheen, and is animate upon the surface. He stops his tugging to rest his neck and shoulders, lifting his head up proudly as he shakes the tension free.

As soon as the object is left alone there comes a more vigorous buzzing - flies, some hungry wasps lured by the taste of proteins in the air, find their way to the surface of the haunch. A large fly lands on the man's head and crawls up the base of one ear, finding some dried blood there, and a flick destabilizes the pest. It arcs irregularly back to the butchered limb.

Tulimaq had thought it prudent to fill his belly when he had found the dead elk and to bring some piece with him afterward. The blood had cooled in the dead limb, coagulated, begun to rot. The summer sun did him no favors. By now most of the leg was ruined - inedible even to wolf standards. He looked down at the greying meat with a furrowed brow and decided to leave it where the flies amassed.

As he hiked further the acrid stench of foul meat finally cleared from his snout, replaced by a very obvious musk that got stronger the closer he moseyed towards a range of cliffs. Curious - and tired of being on his own - he probed the evident borderlanda to the claim and kept himself watchful.
✰✰✰
229 Posts
Ooc — b.
With nothing to show for it so far, Jomyo's hunts were skimming towards the fringes of the claim. For a brief hesitation over a lukewarm trail, she thought to guide them back to the heart of the territory to try more there--back to where she had been sticking closer to lately, considering the young trio of pups that surely busied the head wolves. She supposed it was her way of picking up some of the slack that inevitably created, but.. peering outward, and wondering of beyond, the Eizokusei kept going on her original plan. Perhaps the hunt beyond may bring her more.. though, these were loftier expectations.

She wiggled her nose to the winds, and eased into a slow jog to cover the ground she sought. Their borderlands neared and as it did, she picked up her pace, until she saw the unfamiliar silhouette.

This dropped her back to a slower gait and she raised up her head, peering carefully to the shape that gained features, and scent to go with it. All unfamiliar to her. Without Kaertok or Arbiter immediately around, she may as well investigate while she was here, so now her approach gained purpose--she closed in. This is Legion, the scout provided, her paws still in motion, but slowing by the stride. He was taller than expected, up close. Need something? she asked.
330 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
He was not alone for long. The terrain was well marked and heavily trafficked. The wolf was counting on astute guardians being present and when a narrowly built figure made itself known with a raise of its head, Tulimaq made sure to stand firmly in place. He kept his eyes on their shape as they came closer, patient, biding his time while he sought clues about the other wolf and their pack. They looked healthy; perhaps the same age as himself (not that Tulimaq was counting the seasons), with a discerning eye.

When they spoke it was with pride, but he would not have called it arrogance exactly. A certainty inherent to themselves. Such a quality was familiar - many wolves of Tartok were not outrightly boastful but could hold their own in combat or a hunt. The same edge followed this stranger. She called it Legion.

A warm meal, solace from the road, maybe a fight to get the blood flowing. Right now I'd settle for a little company. He watches the woman for any sort of reaction to his list, mostly made in jest. He kept his head suitably lowered by comparison to her own posture, but could not help the idle flick of his tail tip - a sign of friendliness, invitation. Best to get to the point, he thinks.

I am a hunter, warrior, and ranger. Mostly a ranger. But I wish to put down roots. Would your people benefit from such skills?
✰✰✰
229 Posts
Ooc — b.
As much as she was watching him, she knew it went both ways. Her appearance spoke for Legion at times like this, and on the whole, she was comfortable with her stead here--though that did not lend itself to complacency. Experience, granted by the years on her bones, had her knowing better than to let that take hold, even in the folds of security and stability. Nevertheless, her stance is assured, and immediately, she could appreciate an answer that seemed grounded in reality. All typical wants, and nothing to really disagree with. Who didn't want a warm meal and a safe place to rest? It was, more or less, what kept her around this neighborhood.

First, she answered with a short nod. Fair enough, she replied, though it was difficult to get much else of a rise out of her otherwise impassive gaze as it roved him. The tendrils of her approval were there, however. I think they might, she added, pairing with a knowing look back. Arbiter and Kaertok lead this place. I'm Jomyo, a ranger primarily. Hunter, secondarily. she supplied, feeling like more of the latter lately, pups and plentiful summertime considered. Hopefully, he might answer with something to know him by too. 

They needed reasonable folk, and in her preference, those of greater experience than only a year's worth.. especially to help on the larger hunts as sooner than they might want to admit, the days would shorten and chill. She had a pretty good inkling that @Kaertok and @Arbiter would not disagree with the notion. It is a straightforward place here, really. Our claim here in the Bypass is recent still, but I have made a comfortable spot for myself, and still range when I wish, the scout explained, never feeling stifled by business here, as the leadership always seemed fair to those capable, and willing, to do their share so they all could live well.
454 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
The moon had gone a full turn since the children were born. They grew stronger with each day, and Kaertok watched as they did so. None of the three had particularly strong personalities (yet?), but that would come with time, he imagined. He broke from the den site, eager to stretch his legs on a patrol away from them and Arbiter, who was still just as much a mystery as she always had been. The Tartok wolf thought often of Raleska and how her children were doing, although he had mentioned none of this to anybody else.

Rounding a bend, he saw Jomyo speaking to a wolf he did not recognize. Assuming it was either an intruder or joiner, Kaertok made the obvious decision to butt in on their conversation, coming up alongside Jomyo and casting her a quick glance to ask for her to bring him up to speed on what was going on. Nothing about their body language screamed "conflict!" so Kaertok assumed there was none.
330 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
It sounded as though Tulimaq had met his match. This woman boasted the same skill-set and as she let this be known, he appraised her with a deeper level of scrutiny. She sounded confident of herself without being boastful, and spoke in a to-the-point manner that the man appreciated. When she mentioned the resident leadership he tucked away those names without any change to his demeanor, except one ear flicked curiously forward when she mentioned Kaertok; it was rare for Tulimaq to encounter anyone using Tartok's inuk language outside of their claims, and he was intrigued.

The man arrived without a word, summoned perhaps by the conversation itself. Tulimaq's attention drifted to this newcomer and did not recognize him at all, but that made sense considering how prolific Tartok was. He resembled a northern bear more than anything; solidly built, and appropriately named, if this was indeed the leader that Jomyo had mentioned.

He took a breath and averted his gaze from the man, but offered a small greeting - and a test of his assumptions - by saying, Unusakut. Your guardian Jomyo tells me I may be of use to your people. I am Tulimaq. I am seeking a home, and can pull my own weight.
✰✰✰
229 Posts
Ooc — b.
Jomyo was keen to keep this moving smoothly, and she had little interest in dawdling about with it. His first impression, albeit brief, was a strong one so far. The scout had no qualms when Kaertok arrived, easily inserting himself into the situation, which left her to presume Arbiter was at the densite tending the babes. But, this personally worked fine for her (she was comfortable with his lead), and she signaled his status subtly with a quiet measure of deference from her stance. It was a glance and a soft shift in her before she nodded her muzzle towards the newcomer--who greeted with a strange tongue, though it did not sound entirely unfamiliar. However, she had heard all sorts of languages in the places she had seen; pinning this one down here was asking a lot. Nevertheless, he went right for the point and she appraised his initiative silently.

Indeed, she did think he--Tulimaq--would be useful here. Another nod from her confirmed this with no hesitation from her. A hunter, ranger, and warrior, even.. she added, reciting as he had told her, just to entertain Kaertok with the details of how well-rounded for survival he sounded. It was just words for now, but, he looked to have made do on his own enough to get here from wherever he had come. He didn't look too rough for the wear of the wilds, though summer had been kind so far, and she did not know how long he had traveled yet.
454 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Did Jomyo fancy herself a guardian? Kaertok had always thought of her as only a scout, but perhaps she had fighting abilities hiding under that agouti coat of hers. Maybe she had introduced herself as a guardian as a measure to keep the stranger from trying any funny business. That would have been a smart move on her part. Tulimaq looked strong.

Assuming you live up to pulling your own weight, you are welcome here. Keep your distance from the children, or I will chase you out. There was an implied “or worse” on the end of that sentence. Kaertok had caught the single word in his mother tongue, but he let it rest for now. If this wolf was Anneriwok or Tartok, it would be apparent soon enough.
330 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Everything was relayed swiftly, either by his own commentary or that of the guardian, and the white wolf took it all in. He appeared to scrutinize Tulimaq for a moment; then, provided he approved of what he saw within the ranger, agreed to let him stay in short order. The acceptance was met with a small nod. Tulimaq glanced at the man's face and dropped his eyes immediately, deferring as he was required to, and then turned to depart from their company. He would keep in mind to stay away from any youngsters he came across, which was fine with him — he wasn't quite patient enough at this point in his life to keep them entertained or tutored, plus as a newcomer it made sense to have him keep his distance.

I will acquaint myself with your claim. Thank you. He said. He paused long enough to grant his thanks to them both — then ducked again and began the hike deeper in to the territory.