Larksong Grotto banned from the roxy
348 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Deerstalker
Tracker
Trapper
All Welcome 
It took some time for Haunt to catch up with the herd today. They had traveled inland, settling at the edge of a forest growing in the shadow of a rugged peak. She found someplace to settle nearby and did a head count, coming up one short each time. Haunt licked her chops and kept an eye out for the missing member, though none appeared. She watched the others graze awhile, then quietly slunk away.

Rather than return home, Haunt found the herd's trail and retraced their steps. They had actually gone further east before doubling back toward the mountain. She found this curious but soon discovered why when she came across the remains of a doe near the edge of a grotto. The youth approached warily, the furs along her spine prickling as she detected the scent of a mountain lion.

But it was stale and there was very little left of the cat's kill. After standing there pensively for a bit, Haunt crept the rest of the way toward the scattered pile of bones and viscera. She scared off a crow, who flapped noisily to a nearby tree as Haunt bent to see what she might scavenge.
2 Posts
Ooc —
It was quiet.
Too quiet, thought Oddball, who climbed recklessly along the top of the grotto. The edge was rough on his travel-worn paws, which teetered dangerously at times. The size of them was to blame. They were a little on the large and flat side, and he never quite grew into them, and they made his ankles look thin and girlish in comparison. It was a wonder he did not trip and fall to his death, balancing on the edge of oblivion like that.
He could see and smell a thick collection of trees down below. Water, too. His tongue felt like sandpaper when he thought of how very nice it would be to get a proper drink. There was snow all around to chew, but it wasn't the same. Too much ice around here. The grotto was warm enough that there was still running water. He could feel it on his nose when he dipped his head down, and hear it, if he listened really close.
Mission in mind, Oddball picked his way toward a natural entryway, but was stopped short by the sharp commotion of wings as some panicked bird took flight. He followed it with his eyes, then dropped them down to find the source: a gangly winter wolf lurking close to a mostly eaten carcass. That explained the quiet.
Never one for nerves, Oddball grinned his most winning grin and called, Ahoy-hoy! from his precarious perch on the rocky lip.
348 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Deerstalker
Tracker
Trapper
There was nothing worth caching, though plenty for a single meal. Haunt latched onto a shinbone and dragged it away from the rest of the remains. She settled down on her belly with the bone trapped beneath her foreleg and began to scrape her tongue along it, drawing away bits of stringy meat. When she finished cleaning it of gristle, she intended to crack it and suck out the marrow.

Long before that could happen, someone shouted, "Ahoy-hoy!" The she-wolf startled and jumped halfway to her feet, crouching over the dropped bone. Her yellow gaze sought and quickly found a figure perched on a rocky bluff nearby, his lime eyes contrasting with his pale gray coat. She was lucky it wasn't the cat, come back to claim its leftovers.

The wolf didn't appear threatening, though the way he loomed like that made her wary. Remaining aloof, Haunt repeated lowly, "Ahoy-hoy?"
2 Posts
Ooc —
Now he let his eyes drift to the object that fell from her lips. From there, he pieced together the scenario: a young huntress, from the gangling look of her, felling a lone doe and returning to the site time and again to feed.
It was no wonder the crow was here, and no wonder it took wing. A preoccupied scavenger was easy pickings for a wolf of her caliber.
A friendly face, said Oddball wonderingly, tweaking his grin into a wider smile and letting his short, rounded ears fall sideways. There was nothing about Haunt to suggest what he said was true in any way. Returning his abnormal greeting hardly qualified as friendly, but it was a far sight better than the response he usually got when addressing a stranger over dinner. It only took so many threatening snarls before a guy started to wonder what he had done to offend everyone so badly.
So, ah, lookin' to share? he tested, side-stepping those large paws away from the ledge and eyeing Haunt with the corner of one narrow green eye. I can repay you with my excellent company.
348 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Deerstalker
Tracker
Trapper
His answer didn't make a lick of sense to her, so Haunt said nothing. That led to a beat of awkward silence which the stranger eventually broke with a question. Her eyes cut down to the doe's remains and back up to him as he began to scoot along his perch. One of her ears bent sideways and she snorted in amusement at his offer.

"I mean..." She looked down again, scanning what was left of the deer. "There's enough here for both of us to have a decent snack, I guess. No payment necessary," Haunt added, eyes drifting upward again. "Wish I could say otherwise, but I didn't actually make this kill. I found it." She rolled a pale shoulder. "I don't mind sharing, no," she concluded.

They took positions on opposite ends of the remains, though Haunt raised her head between every bite, not just to keep an eye on her fellow wolf but also keep one out for any sign of the mountain lion. She ate quickly, opting not to linger and attempt to socialize with the stranger. Instead, she hastily returned to the safety of Sapphique.

Mar 21: Narrating an ending due to Oddball falling inactive. :)