The Sunspire A meeting under the moonlight
I'd rather die with someone than let that person die before my eyes
261 Posts
Ooc — Rain
Snow capped mountains tower over a thick wooded area where Rain can smell the border of an unfamiliar pack. She flicks an ear in uncertainty, gazing into the moonlit trees with longing. A pack is what she has been searching for and just beyond this tree line lay the end of a hard and lonely journey. But would she be fully accepted? Or could she fully accept becoming part of another pack? Maybe not at first, her pains from losing the Alpha female she had admired still scar her soul. It is a wound that needs more time to heal and maybe another pack to wash away the pain....

Silently snarling, Rain shakes the memories away before they can overwhelm her and sits down on the ground. Allowing the memories to surface and linger would have her turning tail from this new opportunity. It is hard to bury something that has been haunting me for a year, she notes sadly. Getting to her paws, she paces slowly along the tree line, studying the shadows of the woods. She will not dare to cross the borders without first speaking to the Alpha. If she did, it would immediately destroy any chance with The Sunspire pack for it would show dishonor.

She won't have to cross the border if she catches the Alpha here tonight. Hopefully Amekaze will accept Rain into the pack. The time dragging along has her anxiety slowly rising by each passing minute though. Setting down again to try to hide her anxiousness, Rain sniffs the cool autumn air but the wind is blowing from behind, so she knows the scent will not reach her before she sites the Alpha.
2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior
<style type="text/css">.ame {margin:auto; width:530px; text-align:justify;font-size:11px;} .ame q {color:#7a2638; font-family:georgia;font-weight:bold;letter-spacing:1.3px;} .ame p {margin:0px;text-indent:30px;}</style>

Sleep was fleeting, restless, and a creature of the night anyway it only seemed natural that she would be roving. In fact, in recent days, it was hard to pinpoint any set time in which she wouldn't be lurking around somewhere -- the hours she kept were irregular and seemingly random. Usually, though, she was busy.

She now spent more time than ever on the borders of the mountain. Duty resided there after all, and a quick rest and fishing endeavor just before sundown had powered her through. She moved through the forested eve with a simple trot.

In much of her time here, the borders had been quiet. No cougars, few wolves, and little else of note, so when the scent of someone else lingered, she was quick to notice it and zero in. Amekaze approached smoothly from the cover of the night and regarded the strange female critically.

Her minty stare may have been her sharpest feature, what with the dark and a concealed expression worn, it was at least painfully clear she was watching. What brings you, stranger? she asked as she measured up the other. Amekaze stood confidently keen here amongst this mountain that smelled so distinctly of her, their spire, and all they had come to be.

[Image: 5ifpFkc.png?1]
i want to bleed in the 「r a i n
261 Posts
Ooc — Rain
Rain catches herself zoning in and out, will she have to wait much longer? She has caught site of the Alpha roving this side of the mountain before, but would she really be here tonight? A sudden voice calls out, "What brings you here, stranger?" Head snapping in the direction of the sound, Rain holds back a startled growl and stares intently at the black wolf that appears from the night. The wolf is about her size, lean with a scar on her chest and sizing Rain up from the looks of it. Confidence surrounds this wolf like how the river surrounds a wolf that passes through it.

She allows the silence to lengthen and grow for a time while she gazes upon this wolf with searching eyes. "You are Amekaze? The Alpha of this pack? I have been alone for a year, but I seek what all wolves knowing and unknowingly seek for, a pack." Lowering her head, she sniffs at the black wolf to catch her scent. Rain can't be sure who this black wolf is, but pack scent does cling to her fur.

And if this isn't Amekaze? Will this wolf turn to bring back her Alpha, or will she drive Rain off? That is a possibility, but even if she is driven off now she will return later. The sound of the Alpha's name haunts the howls in this mountain area. Those mountains now cast a shadow over them both as if pulling them into the terrors of the night.
2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior
<style type="text/css">.ame {margin:auto; width:530px; text-align:justify;font-size:11px;} .ame q {color:#7a2638; font-family:georgia;font-weight:bold;letter-spacing:1.3px;} .ame p {margin:0px;text-indent:30px;}</style>

The dark-furred female had not been a leader very long, so could not say if she had garnered any reputation beyond the boundaries yet. Interactions with other packs had been on the slim side, and it was distinctly in her nature to not reveal too much to outsiders; frankly, she did not like them to know much about the goings on in the Sunspire. Inevitably, knowledge spread, and she was just left to wonder how much and how far. At least she knew she had not had time to gain a bad reputation. She had ascended quietly but certainly and insofar, kept the pack together and healthy.

Also because of the newness of the role, she was still learning. Amekaze had been a watchful follower and knew what she liked to see her in leaders. The goal had been to emulate this, albeit with her own distinctions in place.

I am, she answered simply, and took in what the lone female said. In doing so, she kept her eyes on her. For having been alone for a year, she did not look in poor health -- which already suggested she was a decent enough survivalist. Perhaps the Sunspire may suit your needs. You look.. well enough for being a loner that long, she smirked. As far as a home went, they may be just what she was looking for. Ame may be biased, somewhat, but she believed it to be a good home. What could you bring to us? For their strength was in their members. And what could I call you, since you already know my name? she asked, letting her stare linger curiously on the scar on the female's eye just briefly.

261 Posts
Ooc — Rain
"I'm called Rain," she simply answers. "I do not mean to intrude into your pack life, but I can offer you my strength and loyalty." She gets to her paws with her head held high. "If you want, you can test my strength." Giddiness surges through her at the thought of a fight, but she isn't sure that challenging an Alpha to test her is the best idea. The need for acceptance clouds her judgement though, she will do anything to show Amekaze how much of an asset Rain can be to the pack. "As you've already noticed, I clearly have the strength to hunt for myself." She flicks an ear thinking, Small animals are always easy to catch, but my luck for finding half uneaten carcass is what kept my health decent. She whines silently to herself, being a loner has taken it's toll on my pride. What wolf devours the left overs of someone else's hunt, how... shameful.
2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior

She kept her expression masked, though was surprisingly interested -- her name was Rain, not so unlike her own.. or rather the simplified version of her name she preferred. It did mean 'rain' as well. She chuffed softly.

Strength, loyalty, and respect, she replied, lifting her head up marginally and letting her tail twitch upwards, too. As a new Alpha, she was still working out how best to carry herself, and how much her presence could demand without needing to actually demand it. Her charisma was not quite the same sort as Ferdie's, but she was steadily sharpening her skills and understanding what felt.. right. Everyone within the pack had seemingly taken to her without major issue, so she felt it important to instill the same in potential new faces. Their pack could always use the growth, after all, especially with winter looming steadily closer.

Her ears quivered forward, catching the implications here readily. Mm. Well, tell me of your other skills that may be of interest, she said, striding closer and remaining ever-watchful. Amekaze could not say for certain, but guessed that an adult wolf of her caliber had some interests or preferred set of skills. Every wolf that managed to survive could hunt, travel, and guard to some extent. And your strength, she drawled through a growing smirk and lunged forward into Rain's space, pressuring her for a reaction. I would like to see for myself, she flung her tail up tall and was ready for what would follow.

261 Posts
Ooc — Rain
Rain lifts her lips in a snarl as Amekaze suddenly lunges into her space. "My other skills?" She questions. "Perhaps we will both find out what those may be, but what use are other skills to a lone wolf? All I know are fighting and defending."Once in life she claimed both strength and social skills. Now she can't say she knows how to interact with other wolves. That skill may come back to her eventually, but it is dull now.

She stares into the green eyes of the Alpha, her neck fur starting to rise. "And what of you Alpha? What are your skills?" This is a test of my strength, not a challenge against Amekaze, Rain reminds herself casting her eyes to the side of Amekaze's, her ears perked forward. She has to hold back the excitement tingling inside to keep it from shaking her body, not wanting to seem too eager to fight an Alpha.
2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior

She peeled back her own lips in an expression somewhere between a smirk and a snarl. While she did not fancy having her eyes met, nor the questions turned so easily onto her, she swayed her raised tail eagerly to enforce her position. Recently she had been feeling grim and wound-tight by the weight of Ferdie's sudden disappearance, so perhaps she was a dash overeager as well.

I see. What did you guard? she asked and took to fluid motion to circle the female in long, easy strides (for conversation in between action suited her well enough). Naturally she assumed a former pack and its lands, considering that she was a mature female who surely had at least a natal pack in the past. However, life took many different paths depending on the wolf. I have many skills, she quipped in turn with darkening eyes, although there was a hint of mischief too. I fight, defend, keep the history, watch the skies, and resonate in nature's energy.. among others, she spiked her own hackles as she explained. This was to say, there was a reason why she led, despite her inexperience in positions of power -- underneath her she believed the pack and its mountain were well-cared for; she and Jace were among the ones with the most honed skills, and just as the dark-furred Beta was comfortable where he was at second, she was at a growing ease where she now stood.

And so, to test Rain's reactions further, she darted forth with teeth first towards her nearest side. While packed with the speed her agile muscles gave her, she did not intend to do harm with the motion should she connect.

261 Posts
Ooc — Rain
Rain watches the she-wolf begin to circle, lowering her head just a bit to show Amekaze she means no threat towards her position. Amekaze lists her skills and Rain flicks an ear. She isn't the least bit surprised at how many the black wolf names. An Alpha is expected to have several skills to lead successfully. It seems to her that this wolf fits the part quite well. Not to mention she is starting to like and respect Amekaze just from the small amount of time they have conversed.

The first attack comes as Amekaze suddenly darts in towards her side. Rain snarls and spins, the Alpha's teeth nearly colliding with her. The speed of the attack catches Rain off-guard, but she returns the assault with a lunge at Amekaze's front leg. Knowing she can not match the Alpha's speed, Rain braces herself to counter the next move. "I guarded many things," she answers the she-wolf's earlier question. "While I was part of a pack I guarded them, our land, and our beliefs."
2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior

She was prideful of her skills, even if she did not consider herself a master at any of them just yet. There was time and experience separating her from that goal. Fighting was perhaps her strongest, or maybe just the one she believed came easiest, but she aspired to be a great naturalist all the same.

Nevertheless, she followed through as Rain spun aside. Amekaze danced delicately to pursue, while having to work her own legs out of the way defensively for the attack that came back onto her; Rain was quick, of mind and body, and answered appropriately with a response that satisfied her well enough: she was a guardian of many things.

It was the mention of a belief that sparked her curiosity. She paused for the slightest of seconds. Beliefs? Ame asked. This was mostly for her own personal reference and less about her rightful passage into the pack. Amekaze was tolerant of many types of beliefs (so long as they were not too farfetched, or contrary to her own) and liked the lore behind many of them. She then sprung forward again for Rain's shoulder, this time less with her outstretched jaws alone and more with momentum and the weight of her body behind it.

261 Posts
Ooc — Rain
The black she-wolf springs forwards towards Rain's shoulder with a speed that leaves her believing this attack will hit it's mark. She is correct as the world tilts and spins when Amekaze rams into her shoulder, the momentum sending her rolling across the ground.

"Our beliefs," Rain says getting to her paws and shaking the leaves and dirt that clings to her light grey fur. She winces as a small pang jolts through her shoulder. Well that'll leave a slight bruise. She tests her weight on the shoulder happy to find that it can take her full weight without causing too much pain and continues, "Consists of our morals really. No one can defy the Alphas. Each wolf is expected to contribute to the pack and if they do not, then they can be challenged for their position and, if serious enough an offense, can be driven from the pack." Rain begins to circle Amekaze this time, her eyes catching the light of the moon. "Pups are to be looked after by the strongest of the pack so that their strength may be passed on to the little ones. Those that are fit enough to hunt are expected to join in the hunt."

Rain lunges in to snap at Amekaze's hindquarters before jumping away to circle again. "There is more, but I'm sure you get my point. I made sure everyone followed the beliefs and also took care of the ones who did not." As she comes to be in front of the Alpha, she jumps forward with all her strength towards the scar on Amekaze's chest. If she can't match the Alpha's speed then perhaps she could overwhelm the small wolf with her weight.
2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior

Even in a casual throw like this, she felt almost too alive. She relished in the experience and was enjoying this to be a show of skills of a potential comrade, one of her decision too. Amekaze's new alphaship was glaring to her suddenly. This was one of the first wolves to join fresh under her watch -- one that had no idea of the mountain before her, the second leading guardian of these slopes. But, this was also loyalty for her to gain all of her own doings. Insofar the Sunspire wolves once loyal to Ferdie had accepted her without challenge, and this was something different than that.

Anyway, she waved her tail and enjoyed the satisfaction of success while it lasted. All the while, she listened too. Sounds like logical beliefs, she replied as she watched the female circle her. Amekaze could not find fault in it; it seemed all parts of a cohesive plan to keep the pack strong. When Rain swung for her haunch, she was in motion, although left a swatch of fur behind--that caught by her opponents teeth and pulled out by her own momentum. Amekaze didn't stall, and had to prepare for the next move that this time came for her chest. She faltered backwards, backpedaling back to dodge as much of the bite as she could. Still, she felt the pinch of teeth on her scarred chest, not so far from where her sister had once seriously wounded her.

Rain outsized her, although not by leaps and bounds, and Amekaze would maintain this head-on approach now that she was letting questions slide for the time being. She snapped her jaws towards Rain's own, all while trying not to be pressured backwards much more -- for it was speed that was her asset, not sheer force of size. While not sure if she could actually gain ground this way, she enjoyed jaw-spars and would try to hold her position if nothing else.

261 Posts
Ooc — Rain
The feeling of teeth catching the skin on Amekaze's chest sends a thrill through Rain, a small achievement, but one nonetheless. As she backs away for another lunge, her opponent takes a snap at her jaws. Slight pain and the smell of blood fills her nose from the spot on her muzzle that Amekaze manages to snag. It is only a small scratch, nothing that will leave a scar, but it is a success for the Alpha.

A growl deepens in her chest as she snaps back. Success for either one of them means a raise in moral which could influence who won and who lost. To Rain, fights weren't just about skill, but also one's will. If a wolf more than confident in their ability to win were to go against one not as confident, then the outcome would be different than if they both fully believed in their skills. Little scratches and bruises wouldn't much break her moral, but each mark for Amekaze meant that she could land worse attacks.

Raising up on her hind paws, Rain attempts to catch the black she-wolf on the back of her neck. She isn't going for a serious injury, but if she could hold the Alpha down, then she could get in a few good bites before Amekaze could go leaping off. Even though the Alpha's speed is impressive, Rain feels a bit of frustration. It isn't a bad thing though, she is enjoying this challenging fight.
2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior

She was never afraid to weather a few scrapes, cuts, and bruises all in the name of a decent spar. Perhaps she did like it more than she should for she even welcomed the injuries to a certain extent (so long as she could still function, she had no complaints) as they were just testament to a good fight. To her it only meant a job well done, whether she technically won or lost in the end.

Rain could move well and this kept Amekaze in motion. After her jaws snapped shut she began to wheel away, and Rain followed rearing up. Ame ducked her neck low, fluffed her hackles to obscure her edges, and attempted to absorb the brunt of it. She took a few of the bites to the backs of her shoulders and each left smarting stings behind.

But then she used this opportunity to whip her own bites towards Rain's haunches as she turned away with a buck. This was to possibly compromise her in any way so that she may sneak in what she could before deciding that this was finished; truthfully, she had seen and heard enough, but there was no harm in keeping this going for just seconds more.

261 Posts
Ooc — Rain
Her attempt at the Alpha's neck leaves Rain with a mouth full of fur, she was able to get in a few bites, but then Amekaze went for her haunches. Pain nips at her hindquarters as teeth sink into her flesh. Before she can snap at her opponent, Amekaze turns away with a buck.

Tongue lolling out of her mouth, Rain sits stating, "You're good Alpha, though I wouldn't expect anything less." She licks the bleeding wound on her haunches. "Your speed is hard to keep up with." Laying, she rolls over on her back to reveal her soft underbelly. "I give in, you've exhausted what little energy I've got left." She is glad that she got to have this opportunity to test her skills and show the Alpha what she is capable of.

Rolling back over and getting up, she trots over to Amekaze sniffing at the wounds she left on the back of the Alpha, giving them a lick. Her own wounds are smarting, but they would heal up in a couple of days. "I guess I need to work on building up my stamina," she tells Amekaze. "So what now?" She sits in front of the Alpha and flicks an ear.
2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior

She could feel her scarred nape beginning to protest already courtesy of Rain's bites. It was still a bit more tender than she realized, after a summer of scrapping with Swiftcurrent Creek wolves. However, now was not the time to dwell.

The second Rain disengaged from the spar, Amekaze slowed and settled her hackles. She rolled her shoulders, frowning slightly as she tested to see where exactly the aches were. Speed has always been my strongest asset, she chuffed and shook her fur. More stamina was never an issue, either, and she nodded. You have a great might, though. We should continue it, sometime.. she suggested with a friendly, albeit small, swish of her tail that was now no longer held so tall; Rain was officially a wolf of the Sunspire, by her thinking.

Now, you are welcome here as you please, so.. welcome, the dark Alpha said. Integrate and settle in as it suites you. She gestured towards the mountain, preferring to let the location do the speaking. My Beta is a dark wolf with blue eyes, Jace. You will probably run into him. Ranks are.. largely traditional; the smart, skillful and strong rise well.. she mentioned, but believed all of this was better learned in practice. She doubted Rain needed her to spell it out for her.

261 Posts
Ooc — Rain
Rain feels a sense of pride as Amekaze welcomes her into her homeland. Our homeland. Trotting past the Alpha she thanks her and makes her way into the mountains to discover her new home. She wonders if she really will run into the Beta, Jace. Did he wander often? Glancing back, she see's that Amekaze has disappeared. I guess the Alpha wanders as well. She smiles, stopping for a moment as a memory slips into focus.

Night nips at her mate, Shadow, her tail wagging happily. He ignores her at first, occupied with a rabbit that he spotted a few feet away. She nips at him again and he turns on her, nips at her ears and takes off running into the trees, his coat blending with the darkness. Rain had watched the playful side of her Alpha's with amusement. They were almost the same wolf.

She wonders if Amekaze and Jace would be mated at some point. Her ear flicks, it isn't any of her business what was going on there. Still she can't help but be curious. They were both wanderers. Could they be described as the same wolf as her past Alphas had? Perhaps not. She silently scolds herself, jumping to conclusions wasn't normally what she did. Turning, she continues her trek into the Sunspire, leaving the thoughts to drift away on the breeze.