Redtail Rise red and orange dahlias
Redtail Rise
Trēow
130 Posts
Ooc — Lieu
All Welcome 
Tags for reference but AW

Ever since each pup declared what they intended to become, they all splintered off and began individually to work hard to impress their mentors. Shadow, @Mulherin, often accompanied Bloodspot, @Masquerade. Saturday’s Sunset noticed that Sister, @Saturdays Sunrise, practiced patrolling more and more. Though she often missed her sibling, Saturday’s Sunset understood this was the way of things, and so she was proud of her other half.

Often, Saturday’s Sunset began to tag along with Mother, @New Snow, and Father, @Augur, who were both accomplished hunters.

Last night, they had followed a game trail of deer as it moved from the valley into the rise. Exhausted, the girl and her spirit fell into one of the deepest slumbers she could remember.

She awoke to a cool, late September afternoon. Had she really slept through the whole day? One big stretch sent shivers down her spine. She began to look for Red Eye, @Redsky, who had also chosen the path of the hunter. Maybe they could explore together.
Young Hunter
79 Posts
Ooc — Ryder
Sky saw one of the other pups, Saturday's Sunset, looking around. He remembered that she too had decided to take the path of a hunter so he padded over to her lightly. "Hey! Wanna go out and maybe try to work on hunting together?" He asked. He hadn't had the best of luck on his own, but maybe with a partner it'd be easier.
Redtail Rise
Trēow
130 Posts
Ooc — Lieu
It was Red Eye who found her first! A month older than she, the boy had already grown considerably larger as he teetered on the cusp of adolescence. In some ways, he looked like his brother, Shadow, but in some ways, he did not… perhaps he felt the same way about her and Sister, Saturday’s Sunset, her spirit mused.

They shared the similarity that one sibling had chosen hunting, while the other had chosen fighting or protecting. In many ways, the litters of Avicus and New Snow were like mirror images. Male and female. White and black.

Saturday’s Sunset yipped a greeting as she smiled with an open-mouth pant.

Yes! I will hunt with you! her spirit cheered. Then she suddenly turned around and looked back over her shoulder.

This way, I will show you a trail my mother showed me, her spirit said.
Young Hunter
79 Posts
Ooc — Ryder
Redsky nodded at her visible excitement and agreement at his question. So when she started off he followed, knowing she would lead him into the forest and into a good hunting spot. He wanted to catch something
Redtail Rise
Trēow
130 Posts
Ooc — Lieu
Red Eye showed interest which made Saturday’s Sunset’s tail curl with delight.

Maybe someday, one of them would be the Ulfhedinn of the Rise when Father retired.

She led Red Eye through the forest, whose colors had just begun to change, until they crossed a path. The girl’s nose flicked to indicate a cloven hoofprint in the soft dirt. A pile of scat nearby. Mule deer… and, by the thick scent in the air, it seemed they used this trail often.

She licked her nose and tilted her head as if to ask what Red Eye thought.
Young Hunter
79 Posts
Ooc — Ryder
Redsky was not the best at hunting bigger prey yet so when he saw the prints and caught the scent he got a bit nervous. But with the girl’s help, they could maybe pull it off. “It’s not going to be easy but i think we can catch one. I know how, but i’ve never actually done it before. Want to try?” He asked her
Redtail Rise
Trēow
130 Posts
Ooc — Lieu
Saturday’s Sunset pondered the thought for a moment, for it was unlike her to do anything impulsively.

How would they ever become Ulfr if they didn’t try?

She nipped at the dark ruff of Red Eye’s nape. A shimmer in her eyes.

Let us hunt! her spirit agreed.

Her white tail waved in the air as she honed in on the freshest trail and began to lope in the direction of their prey.
Young Hunter
79 Posts
Ooc — Ryder
He saw the excitement at a challenge in her eyes and actions, so he nodded. "Right, lets do this! May I lead? Since ive seen it done before and I dont remember if you were there or not." Redsky asked. "Ive also hunted fawns so i know roughly how to avoid hoofs." He added.
Redtail Rise
Trēow
130 Posts
Ooc — Lieu
Red Eye’s words request a lead hunter position and Moon Runner reads his confident body language. She has never pursued deer before but, most of all, she is curious to see what type of huntlead Red Eye would make.

Her head and tail lower as she relinquishes any kind of point position. Then, she falls to his side and waits for him to take charge.
Young Hunter
79 Posts
Ooc — Ryder
The deer herd comes into view and Redsky picks out the weakest looking member. A young stag in the back. “You see the small one in the back?” He asked his partner. “He’s our target. Can you distract the lead stag and make him run while i trap the boy?” He asked. “Then come back and help.” He added
Redtail Rise
Trēow
130 Posts
Ooc — Lieu
Moon Runner followed Red Eye through the forest along the deer path she had shown him. It was only a matter of time before the air became thick with the scent of the herd, and when that happened Moon Runner’s instincts kicked into gear.

She assumed a stalking position, crouched low beside her compatriot. Her pupils became large and her ears twitched as he listened to the animals rummaging.

She followed his gaze and saw the young stag. Red Eye spoke, then and she gleaned his meaning.

But, she is unsure.

Never before had she danced with such a beast. The lead stag - all the stags - looked huge to her.

Moon Runner's ears slicked back against her skull and she licked her nose nervously. A whine.

I do not think I can do this, the spirit said.
Young Hunter
79 Posts
Ooc — Ryder
she was scared. Understandable. “can you pin the baby then? i’ll make the stag run but you need to try and stop the young one from escaping. just hold him down and i will come back quickly to help.” redsky asked
Redtail Rise
Trēow
130 Posts
Ooc — Lieu
Sadly, the dice gods rolled for failure. Last post for me!

There was an exchange. A compromise.

Moon Runner licked her lips as she mulled over the plan. Red Eye did not seem afraid. She felt disappointed in herself.

Eventually, she conceded, and the two young wolves began to stalk their prey.

Moon Runner tried her hardest but, in the end, their inexperience cost them dinner. Swiftly, the deer bounded away and quickly outpaced them.
Young Hunter
79 Posts
Ooc — Ryder
Redsky gave chase for a bit but came back empty pawed. He was disappointed but he knew with more experience he’d be able to catch a deer some day