Firestone Hot Springs mystline
2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior
<style type="text/css">.ame {margin:auto; width:530px; text-align:justify;font-size:11px;} .ame q {color:#7a2638; font-family:georgia;font-weight:bold;letter-spacing:1.3px;} .ame p {margin:0px;text-indent:30px;}</style>

The days had been quiet, and perhaps even beginning to approach the point of lonely as well. Amekaze enjoyed the peaceful sanctuary the deep, dark wetlands provided up until a point. Even her patience for solitude was bound to run out. Reclusive-tendencies or not, even she felt the societal need of the wolf. All of her true bonds were too far away for her to reap their benefits. The nights were growing colder. Winter approached and her intentions remained vague.

Scenery changed as she left the wetlands behind and ranged towards the west. She traveled through the night, hunting, tracking, mapping as she wove a meandering path flanking a mountain then eventually across the flatlands. Amekaze had hunted successfully and although the wetlands had suited her, it was high time she press forward, even if the arrangement was not meant to be permanent. For all she knew, beyond here, matters were scarce.

Although, she doubted it.

Already she knew of one pack off this way generally -- albeit more towards the North. More seemed plausible enough. She would likely find out if so. However, Amekaze preferred a cautious approach to packs until she understood what sort of power they had at their disposal.

The afternoon had come with gray, dull skies and she continued with a steady trot across the foothills. Ahead, she could see something different and smelled the shift in humidity already which prompted her to slow to investigate further. Places like these were not something she knew much of. Curiosity brimming, she pressed onward, walking languidly towards the warm springs and memorizing the landscape as she went.

<i>"Sometimes there is no darker place than our thoughts, the moonless midnight of the mind."</i>
171 Posts
Ooc —
After the altercation at the Dragonwatchers' borders some nights ago, a reeling Koontz had retreated to her overlook. Ray had attempted to follow her but she had asked to be left alone with her thoughts. She had sat there for what felt like days on end, hashing the stormy night's events over and over in her head and agonizing over some of them.

Presently, she forced herself to clear her head and focus on something else; she had now spent far too much time caught up in her toxic thoughts. She loped down the decline leading away from the plateau, hoping that by keeping busy, she wouldn't stray right back into her dark and dreary thoughts. The sulfurous smell of the hot springs caught her attention and she followed it, thinking that a hot bath might help her relax.

She found many pools of warm water once there but she found the stench more off-putting than expected. While she stood there and contemplated taking a dip anyway, a flicker of movement drew her eye and she found herself looking at a black she-wolf with pale green eyes. Due to her frayed nerves and the stranger's similarities to Vilocity, a snarl exploded from Koontz's maw before she could even think about it.

As soon as she realized it wasn't Vilocity, she stopped. A beat of awkward silence ensued before she eventually said, "I'm sorry. I thought you were somebody else. I didn't mean to be rude." Her silver tail fell flat against her hind legs. "I'm Koontz," she offered, a note of apology still lacing her voice as she peered at the unfamiliar she-wolf.
2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior
<style type="text/css">.ame {margin:auto; width:530px; text-align:justify;font-size:11px;} .ame q {color:#7a2638; font-family:georgia;font-weight:bold;letter-spacing:1.3px;} .ame p {margin:0px;text-indent:30px;}</style>

Amekaze maintained her forward momentum to mosey through the hot springs undisturbed for quite a time. Although she had only dipped her paws in the waters to test them out, her fur felt damp and heavy -- not that she found she minded much so had no complaints.

The overpowering scents of the irriguous scenery itself consumed her focus readily, yet she knew to keep her eyes peeled. Surely she would not have this whole place to herself. She had realized that this valley seemed more plentiful in wolf-scents than the region around the wetlands and idly, the dark female had wondered why that was so.

The thought was cut abruptly short as her paws came to a quick stop. A snarl sounded and Amekaze reacted immediately, bristling her furs and stiffening her tail despite an expression that stayed calm. She did not know what she had done to warrant such a greeting, but did realize that it seemed to go no further than that. Her stare turned more scrutinizing, perplexed but critical as ever.

An apology, explanation and then a name followed. She received it all stoically and decided that she could not spare the same generosity so readily. That's hardly a way to greet a stranger, she quipped despite the apology of the sterling female and stepped a few paces closer. Her hackles had softened, although the natural spikiness of her nape made the difference hard to tell. I hope whoever it is I reminded you of caused you real trouble to warrant that. She was then quiet, considering not saying anything further at all, but half-reluctantly she added I'm Ame.

<i>"Sometimes there is no darker place than our thoughts, the moonless midnight of the mind."</i>
171 Posts
Ooc —
Koontz sighed softly at the stranger's rebuke, uncertain what to say beyond her apology. She looked rather defensive, not that Koontz could blame her. The young Redleaf-DiSarinno felt all out of sorts. She didn't feel like herself. After all, since when did she go around snapping at strangers?

At the female's subsequent comment, Koontz's sharp, pale eyes found the other wolf's face. "She did indeed," she replied lowly, "but I still shouldn't have done that. My nerves are more than a little frayed lately," she explained.

"Nice to meet you, Ame," Koontz said after a beat, feeling a little awkward about the pleasantry, as she was sure Ame didn't feel the same way at all. "Are you from one of the packs around here? I'm from Dragonwatchers. We live at the plateau," she said, lifting her head and pointing her silver muzzle at the rocky outcropping directly overhead before shifting her gaze back to Ame.
2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior

The sterling-hued Koontz explained herself further, referencing frayed nerves to be largely at fault here. Ame's expression was blank for she couldn't particularly muster any sympathy. Amekaze was more curious of her apparent lookalike that had made her react this way -- who the wolf was, what precisely had she done and so forth.

She tipped her muzzle into a short, curt nod instead of returning the spoken pleasantries; for her, it would have been just too much of a stretch and she didn't feel it necessary to bother. Appearing even this personable would grow tiresome quickly, so she wouldn't push it. No, a loner. Formerly of Mount Rikudōu. She watched, doubting that mentioning that place would mean anything to Koontz or stir any semblance of recognition. It seemed unlikely that any here would have known about her birthplace and it only made her realize how far from home she truly was now.

Dragonwatchers? This is the first I've heard of their likes, she tilted her head, mildly curious after sparing a brief glance in the direction Koontz had gestured before settling her stare back on her. First Tartok, now Dragonwatchers, she was slowly beginning to piece together a picture of this region's residents.

171 Posts
Ooc —
Although Ame didn't seem particularly inclined to open friendliness—and, again, Koontz couldn't blame her—she came across as both intelligent and diplomatic. She's nothing like Vilocity, that's for sure, the Alpha thought wryly. Beyond their physical resemblance, the two dark she-wolves shared nothing in common as far as Koontz could see.

"We're small but mighty," she said, answering to the implied inquisition in Ame's tone. "We've lived here since summer, which makes us one of the area's original packs, I believe." Koontz tried to think of something that made Dragonwatchers different from the other packs. "We thrive on a sense of duty and balance. Each member is encouraged to pick a Dragon Duty that fits his or her skills. I'm a Boneknapper, for example, which means I'm responsible for keeping the pack fed."

She fell silent for a few beats, allowing Ame to digest this information. She wondered if Ame was looking for a pack, especially considering the time of year, yet Koontz wasn't the type to make a hard sell. If Ame was interested in Dragonwatchers, she would happily embellish on the information already given. If not, she wouldn't press the subject.

"What took you away from your Mount Rikudōu?" she wondered after a moment, enunciating the name carefully.
2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior

The concepts of Dragonwatchers were all noted with a stoic, thoughtful look as she absorbed the words, finding she was somewhat surprised to hear they were one of the "originals" having only been founded this summer. Had this region truly been untouched before then? I would not have expected an original pack to still be so young she remarked. She had come from old lands with long, bloodied histories that had lasted many a generation before her. This place was much different.

Whereas Tartok had caught her attention most easily with mentions of strength, Dragonwatchers hooked her with the mention of "balance", although she wondered to what extent they adhered to this. Amekaze's mother's sage arts had instructed a balance with nature's energies and thus, a strong carry over into other parts of life where nature resonated. That was what Ame sought, though she knew it could have multiple interpretations.

The "dragon duty" bit was somewhat peculiar notion to her, what with the "boneknapper" being the one to feed the pack evidently. A traditionalist born and raised, she was unaccustomed to calling a hunter (or quartermaster) anything but that. Amekaze's expression was intended to stay blank, but she could feel her confusion beginning to find its way onto her face.

She nodded a small nod and straightened her ears that had slowly splayed. I cannot say I have heard packs utilize a dragon theme to such an extent. She recalled the peculiar wolves of Ryuchido, who, although their focus was more on snakes, their strongest were said to shed the guise of snake and transcend into dragons. In many mythologies she had known, dragons and snakes were often interchangeable anyway. However, she sensed no true similarities between Ryuchido and Dragonwatchers. Out of curiosity, what do you term the fighters and guard there? she asked.

When Koontz asked of Rikudōu and the dark-furred female realized she had no clear, concise answer that could be explained in as few words as she wished to use here. My path necessitated that I see new places and wolves so my own strengths can continue to grow... Her head had lowered and she practically scowled through the words. For now, peace reigns and Rikudōu has little need of me. I intend to return some day... Although she could not say if that would be sooner rather than later. She did not want to go back until she had gained something and as of now, she had nothing to speak of -- save for having seen some interesting new landscapes like these which held little actual value..

171 Posts
Ooc —
Ame made an astute observation about the pack's longevity and Koontz replied, "I was surprised myself when I found this land uninhabited. I'm sure it wasn't always the case but, when we—my brother, my friend and I—arrived here and scouted the area, we found no other wolves. They only started arriving after us, as if we'd unwittingly led a caravan here. In fact, many have come from the same place where I was born, strangely enough."

When Ame seemed interested in the titles for fighters, Koontz smiled. She loved to talk about the system that she and Ariston had hatched (pun intended). "The Breathquenchers provide offense, whereas the Leviathorgans offer defense. They are the equivalent of the fighters and guardians, respectively," the young Alpha explained. "Currently, we have one Leviathorgan—my aformentioned brother, Ray—but no Breathquenchers." There was the slightest hint in her voice, as if Koontz wanted to prompt Ame to consider whether she could remedy that situation, should she have the skills for it.

She didn't press any harder than that, though, and she didn't mention the slight disappointment she felt when Ame reported that she intended to go home one day. Her story was not unlike Koontz's; both she-wolves had outgrown the nest, spread their wings and flown the coop. But whereas Koontz did not intend to return home to Flightless Falcons—she intended to start and maintain a life of her own—Ame would one day wander back to where she'd come from.

To tie the two topics together, Koontz asked, "So what skills have you learned since you left your birthplace?" This allowed Ame a chance to share what she'd learned on her time away from her pack and also gave Koontz an opportunity to learn what sorts of skills the dark she-wolf possessed, just in case she ever decided that Dragonwatchers might be a good fit for her until her eventual prodigal return.
2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior

She squinted, still finding it strange that Koontz and her fellows had encountered these lands largely untouched. As she had said, surely they had been inhabited before but why no longer? Amekaze couldn't help but feel somewhat suspicious as she wondered if it was famine, disease, war or otherwise that had driven wolves out in the first place. Whatever the explanation was, one wouldn't know it now. This place was plentiful and seemed peaceful; she could find nothing wrong..

And indeed, it was odd that many had come from Koontz's homeland as well. Amekaze had come alone as far as she knew, although it would be peculiar to later find out that others had followed after her. She found she was not keen on the idea herself.

Nevertheless, she listened about Breathquenchers and Leviathorgans, which were both very strange words to her ears. The offense and defense of the pack was pivotal in her eyes, although if she were made to select one for herself, hypothetically, it would be offense. She had seen warfare head on and risen to that occasion to fight brutally (it was what she'd been bred to do, after all), although defense was also doable and something she had experience in to a lesser extent. Her strengths were undoubtedly somewhere there, not as much in hunting or otherwise.

Although she would not get too far ahead of herself. She took note of the slight hint Koontz had nudged her way with the mentioning of the vacancy in Breathquenchers which aligned worryingly well with her thoughts at the time. The dark female simply nodded, remaining quiet while looking thoughtful still. A pack would likely be necessary before too much longer, especially with her return to the mountain looking to be further in the future.. unless she was willing to return there without her gains. Amekaze had not given up yet.

I left with all the skills intact that I would ever need, she answered curtly. Her mother had left her well-prepared. The favored daughter had been given much attention and raised under a watchful, experienced gaze. Amekaze was left to make it better, to test the limits of her ability and push her skills to the next level. My intentions have been to polish them. It seems my hunting has been all to gain since then and, I suppose, my lore. Amekaze didn't speak of her interest in history and tales often. Seeing new places and meeting new wolves made it difficult to ignore, though. I mainly seek to better my skills in battle, however there is little time for that when survival is more pressing and times are seemingly so peaceful. She shifted her weight as she was feeling uneasy with so many words. Uncharacteristically she found herself glancing aside momentarily before refocusing, renewed for the time being.

[Image: 5ifpFkc.png?1]
i want to bleed in the 「r a i n
171 Posts
Ooc —
Ame curtly corrected her, explaining that she hadn't learned new skills, per se, but had left home with a full repertoire in simple need of sharpening. Koontz's ears flicked backward slightly, in a subtle gesture of apology, and nodded to acknowledge a better understanding.

"I've also been forced to sharpen my hunting skills," Koontz related. She didn't want to continue pitching to Ame, so she ignored the renewed opportunity and simply lightly pointed out, "If you were to join a pack, it would likely free up more of your time, as you wouldn't have to focus on mere survival as much." She paused, then added, "You're right that it's a peaceful place—now. It's good to be prepared in case that ever changes. In my experience, it can change literally overnight," Koontz mused.

"Well, I don't like to force my pack down anybody's throat but know that, with your skills, you'd be welcome in Dragonwatchers. You still have a few weeks before the weather starts taking a turn for the worse," the yearling said, pale, shrewd eyes narrowing to scan the horizon as if reading a weather forecast there. In fact, she was. She wasn't nearly as skilled as her father but she knew a thing or two. "I predict the first snow will fall no later than the first week of November."
2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior

Perhaps her words had come off as brazen, but Ame was naturally proud of what she was and sometimes she couldn't bother to hide it. However, she did feel it was true, personal cockiness or not. The wilds had not been so unforgiving to her. Still she survived and did plenty well for herself. It was just not as cushioned as it could be with a pack -- there was no denying that. Nevertheless, it seemed that improved hunting was inevitable for Koontz had done similar. It was either become a sharper hunter or perish, and naturally Amekaze had opted for the former.

Koontz had good points and Amekaze nodded. I know that, she breathed. Joining a pack is my wisest choice for now, but I will not rush into it. I cannot give my loyalties away on a whim, she said and exhaled a slow, small sigh. Soon, she may not have a choice if nothing better was decided on by the arrival of winter's worst.

She wasn't quite ready to relinquish her freedoms of lonerhood, although recognized that her time was limited. I will keep that in mind, was her reply to the welcome the sterling female given her.. which had sparked Ame's curiosity in a new way. You can read the skies here? I hope you are correct, she chuffed, not wanting to see snow any sooner than that. You say your pack. Do you head it? Koontz had not been overly obvious, although she could see it being true now that she realized and thought back on it. Obviously she had seen the pack's founding and was very knowledgeable on its subject.

171 Posts
Ooc —
Koontz nodded her agreement to Ame's sage remark. "Joining a pack isn't a decision that should be made lightly. It's intended to be a long-term commitment, after all," she mused. She'd almost said life-long but, especially knowing Ame's intentions to return home, it wouldn't have seemed as appropriate as the term she chose.

Ame seemed to appreciate the offer, though what intrigued her even more was Koontz's ability to read the skies. "I can read them anywhere," she quipped lightly, nodding again and adding more seriously, "My father was a knowledgeable Skywatcher. He taught me a lot about the skies, weather patterns, moon cycles and the like. I can predict the weather with decent accuracy," she said modestly. Her skills paled in comparison to Aether's, though.

Koontz nodded a third and final time. "Yes, I am the Alpha." When she said this, her shoulders straightened somewhat and she lifted her head, not to display dominance—for she didn't possess it out here in neutral territory—but a touch of pride. "Ariston, Ray and myself founded the pack, with Ariston as the Alpha and myself as the Beta. Leading it became too much of a burden for him and he eventually left. I stepped up in his stead. I know I'm a young leader but I just try to emulate my parents, who were—and still are—Alphas of their pack for many years."
2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior

Indeed, it was not a decision she would take lightly. Amekaze had never selected a pack all of her own choice (having simply been born into the only pack she'd been in) and she was learning over time that it was not as easy as she might have thought originally. Her expectations were admittedly high but she still felt above needing to settle for less for her loyalties.

Nevertheless, reading the skies was an interesting skillset to have, especially to be able to predict it far in advance. Amekaze's abilities in such, which were basic only, were more for the short-term. However she reasoned that she was young still and with plenty of time to learn and observe more and unlike Koontz, neither of her parents had instilled on her the knowledge early. If her future did include her becoming a part of the Dragonwatchers, it was likely she would try to learn more from her in time.

Her ears flickered thoughtfully in response, but otherwise stayed quiet and listened on. She would remember all of this.

It was good to know (albeit a tad surprising) that she was speaking with the Alpha of the Dragonwatchers. She tipped her muzzle in a short nod although otherwise remained still. In the company Alpha or not, her own posturing was neutral enough as it was, not that she believed any real display was necessary. I see, she equipped, idly wondering if those names she had mentioned would ever be necessary for her to know. Ame then flicked her tail and prepared to shift her weight.

She was feeling nearly done here, for the time. Her explorations could continue on and partly, she fancied a hunt before it got too late I have learned a good share from speaking with you, she spoke deliberately. You may see me again, but I wish to be going now. Amekaze took to motion again, beginning to turn away from the silver-furred Alpha. After another nod, she began to stride forth towards the North, generally. Ki o tsukete, she quipped swiftly before assuming a trot and being on her way.

She had plenty to think on.

171 Posts
Ooc —
Ame didn't have much to say beyond that. She seemed to have absorbed Koontz's every word for future deliberation. After informing the young Alpha that she had found their conversation educational, she bade her farewell. Koontz watched as she loped away, hoping that Ame might consider returning and joining her ranks. She needed skilled, pragmatic wolves in her fold.

Only when she was left alone again did everything come flooding back to her. She felt several pangs as she unwittingly recollected the stand-off with her own—now disenfranchised—cousin. She hated Pied but, more than anything, Koontz hated herself for her own behavior.

Shaking her head roughly, she sought out a pool and jumped into it directly, the searing heat and physical pain momentarily distracting her from her mental and emotional duress. It stunk to high heavens but Koontz didn't even mind this presently; it was just one more lesser evil.