The Sunspire Knowledge is the heart of the world
<p style='text-decoration:italic;font-size:10px;'><I>Got nothin to lose but time</I></p>
350 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
@Amekaze perhaps lovely if you have the time?

Now that Vienna had decided to pursue the healing arts, she was doing all she could to get her skills up to par as quickly as possible. With the cats in the area and the dangers of the season they would likely be needed soon and Amekaze could not do it all. She had so many other roles to fill. This was Vienna's best way to help out, and she wished she had taken it into account sooner.

She was seeking Ame out, hoping to steal a moment of her time to learn what she knew. If she was too busy, then Vienna could seek elsewhere, but she would rather learn all she could from her own respected leader. Unable to find her by wandering, she sent up a quick call, ensuring that it was not important but requesting the alpha's presence all the same.
2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior
<style type="text/css">.ame {margin:auto; width:530px; text-align:justify;font-size:11px;} .ame q {color:#7a2638; font-family:georgia;font-weight:bold;letter-spacing:1.3px;} .ame p {margin:0px;text-indent:30px;}</style>

The frustration of a failed rabbit chase was redirected quickly. As she had stood defeated in the cold, panting plumes of condensed breath, the howl rose and her ears quivered accordingly; Vienna..

Providing the rabbit's general direction one last scoff, she turned and jogged off towards the songbird's summons. It was sure to be a welcome change of pace, for it was at least different that grinding the hours away on patrol and the hunt. Not to mention, she would be glad to see her. Naturally she had noticed the steady return of her scent to the various places around the mountain. Her healing had been steady, and at least Mallaidh had been present for some of it. Which, now that she thought about it, was something she could ask Vienna about -- namely, if she knew anything of the healer's intentions to roam.

So, not too long after the call, Ame arrived with a soft chuff of greeting and slowly waving tail.

[Image: 5ifpFkc.png?1]
i want to bleed in the 「r a i n
<p style='text-decoration:italic;font-size:10px;'><I>Got nothin to lose but time</I></p>
350 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Happily she looked on as Amekaze approached, and she came forward in greeting, giving an affectionate nudge to the chin before backing up somewhat shyly. She had spent enough time around Ame to know she enjoyed her friendship but was not sure how she stood in her eyes. Still, the gesture had felt right.

"Amekaze, hello!" Her tail waved in return though she remained relaxed and submissive. "How are you?"
2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior
<style type="text/css">.ame {margin:auto; width:530px; text-align:justify;font-size:11px;} .ame q {color:#7a2638; font-family:georgia;font-weight:bold;letter-spacing:1.3px;} .ame p {margin:0px;text-indent:30px;}</style>

Ame was at ease in Vienna's company. While they were not exceptionally close, the dark alpha liked their easy dynamic -- whatever it was, exactly. Her tail swayed slowly. Well enough. And yourself? It is good to see you, she said. Not only.. her, but her out and about. In well enough shape to not be confined to a den to wait away the hours healing.

Ame did glance over where the wounds were on her neck and sides the best she could from her present spot, and without being all too obvious about it. She had seen them at their worst and certainly, this was an improvement. But, she did still hate seeing them, and that they had happened at all.

350 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
"It's good to be seen," she responded honestly, happy to once more be able to seek company instead of relying on others to fulfill it. They did so admirably, but there was a guilt accompanying it that she did not miss feeling one bit.

"I actually had a question for you. This has... gotten me thinking. And I believe I would like to help you and train in healing. If you would be willing to teach me what you know sometime." Perhaps that was not a ton, but it was likely far more than Vienna herself knew. She knew of the herbs, just not what each did. And more advanced techniques were far beyond her knowledge span. "Only if you have time and only if you wish, of course. I plan on seeking knowledge outside the pack as well, if that is agreeable."
2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior

Easily, she found she agreed. Not noticing Vienna around had been almost unnerving since she had been here practically from the start, and it had only worked to make her more uneasy about her early healing. Thankfully Mallaidh's brief stay coincided with her injury..

The agouti wolf already had her attention, and she canted her head slightly -- definitely curious. When the topic came out, she couldn't help but nod. I see. Well, I can certainly share what I do know, but I have been hoping to learn more myself.. since what I know covers the basics, it is not everything. And truly, she wished to know more, even if her "bedside manners" left a little bit to be desired. Which was why she was easily supportive of Vienna's interest in the idea. They needed a good, consistent healer among them but she would need to find out how much Vienna knew already -- if anything at all.

If you could find someone outside of the pack to learn from, I think that would do you well. I have considered doing the same but not had a chance to meet anyone suitable, she said. Not that she had been specifically looking. She rarely roamed anymore and was usually up to matters here. The white wolf in the wetlands was the closest she had come, but he had not exactly been a medicinally-focused individual. Actually, I had first planned to learn more from Mallaidh, she chuffed softly. Ame had not planned to assume the official healer role, yet here again, she picked up the slack when necessary.. which led her to wonder if she should just get it over with and wear the designation in full one day. How much do you know already? she asked.

350 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Vienna was honestly just relieved Amekaze was willing to give her anything, regardless of how much or how little. She had not doubted the Alpha's kindness or willingness for a minute, but doubtless there were other things that needed to come first. It was good that she had the time. "Even if only a little, I am sure it is more than what I know now." she replied honestly.

"I will ask around. I have a few packs I could go to, having encountered some of their members as an Outrider before. They were friendly enough, so long as I don't breach ettiquette I think I would be fine. As far as healers, that is less sure, but I can at least ask." The Plateau and the Spine came to mind initially. Both Cara and Amelie/Finn/Junior had been amicable enough. Perhaps she'd try the Plateau first since she knew more of their lands and their like. Cara had been a bit more guarded and she wasn't sure she'd be as welcome there. She wouldn't mind seeing her again though.

"It is too bad that she left." Vienna had been rather upset by that, but understood if she needed to move on. She had not been able to properly thank her though. "I know only the most basic things. Aloe for soothing, yarrow or marigold for fever, mint and ginger for stomachache. Nothing advanced when it comes to actual wounds." Not having faced many dangers in her youth, she hadn't felt the need to pay attention when her mother had taught her of them. "I think yarrow has more uses than just fever but I can't remember." She frowned. "It's been so long. I tried to pay attention when Mallaidh was helping me, but I was so out of it I couldn't say for sure what she used or did."
2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior
VIENNA'S AV IS TOO CUTE OMG

Indeed, for her pack mates, she would give them all she could. It was strange how.. unexpectedly attached to many of them she had become, even if it was in her own distant way. She had come here to follow Ferdie and Jace and things had evolved curiously from there, leading her into a dynamic she never would have foreseen for herself if one had asked a year or so ago.

I think that sounds good. While I do not know if they have a healer, I would look into the Plateau first, she suggested, unaware that this was already in Vienna's plans. The Plateau was probably the best relationship with another pack Ame could think of, even if there was terribly little to base that judgement on. Which, to her, was infinitely better than bad vibes. She would never nudge a wolf towards the Creek, Ankyra, or even to a lesser extent Redhawk Caldera. They were three she wanted little to do with and thankfully, aside from the Creek, distance made it difficult anyway.

On Mallaidh, she nodded softly with a hint of a frown. It was too bad, but she did not press the subject and instead listened on. Vienna did have a good grasp of the basics, it seemed. Ame was pleased. You have a good start, I believe, she commented first with a nod. I like yarrow best for fevers and as a poultice on wounds. It seems to help keep out infection very well for something simple, and is so easy to find in warm months. I have also heard it can ease stomach pains too, although.. I do not know that from experience. We always used it for wounds -- which is much of the basis of what I know, she said. It was what her clan had taught her, just by being around the older, more experienced wolves who had seen plenty of battles. She had also realized that most of what they used were common plants. They usually did not have time to go searching for them, she guessed.

Goldenrod, too, for wounds and even dried oak leaves can help them when chewed into a poultice.. oh, and dandelion -- the leaves chewed ease pain a little, but are not strong. She the quieted to read Vienna's expression, since Ame wouldn't bombard her with too much all at once and needed a beat to think of what else she could mention; she had hit the big ones already.

350 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Daww thank you! I may have to take a stab at Ame sometime ;) she is awesome

Vienna nodded vigorously, elated that the Alpha's thoughts so mirrored her own. "I have met quite a few Plateau wolves in my travels and they seem rather accomodating, as a whole. I'll have to go see what sort of healing they have to offer and if they would be willing to meet." It would take a kind wolf to drop responsibility in order to train an outsider, but she hoped to be a quick and eager learner. Hopefully she would not waste much of their valuable time and take only what they could give.

Mentally she took note of all that Amekaze said, some of it known, some of it new. Goldenrod, wild oak, and dandelion she added to the mental inventory of supplies to look out for, and their uses she attempted to commit to memory. The names were so much easier as she had more practice with identifying, but she thought with a little work she could grow used to it. After all, instincts had to kick in sometime, right? Those built of the wild had good senses and she intended to hone hers.

Suddenly she let out an exclamation. "Willow bark!" She looked at Amekaze proudly, but then laughed when she realized the dark woman would have no idea what she was talking about. "Sorry! I was speaking to my brother and could not, for the life of me, remember one of the plants my mother had spoke on for pain relief. That was it!" Perhaps her memory wasn't as bad as she thought. Poppy was more effective for severe cases, but willow would work in most instances and did not have the addictive side effect. She'd been taught to deal with caution in stronger herbs.
2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior
even i'm too lazy to draw ame although it's been a while since i have aaaaa

She did believe that if any pack was worth pursuing deeper bonds with, that it may be the Plateau. Vienna spoke of meeting individuals from there with good reviews, and Ame felt the same. Mhm, I have yet to meet a foul Plateau wolf -- although I suppose I do not know many, but even if they only have a few tidbits of information to offer, it is worth hearing I believe, she nodded. Anything was better than nothing, and by piecing together that with what little she could teach, it could almost amount to a worthwhile healer. With a bit of experience added to it, she believed it could be achieved in full.

Anyway, Vienna added her own -- willow bark, and Ame nodded with a soft laugh. Ah, well, good thing it came to you, even if a little delayed.. she smirked. I am not particularly familiar with it, but there are other barks that are useful too, apparently.. Again, not that she knew by experience. I am just less familiar with poultice-type applications, since for myself, I usually let the wounds.. breathe, and rinse them often, although this is obviously not always effective, she said, remembering the fever that had stealthily pounced on her many moons ago. It does make it hard to.. learn plants in the wintertime, when much of what we are the dried up stockpiles left by other aspiring healers to go by. Come spring, I think we will all be able to learn much more.. Through means of others or just simply experimenting on their own.

350 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
She made mental note to definitely follow up, glad that Amekaze too thought the Plateau wolves a friendly bunch. It was further confirmation that she would be welcomed rather than attacked for approaching. "I agree.". Small tidbits of knowledge could quickly add up to become an extensive wealth.

"Poultices are the one I don't know either. Those are a little more advanced. Mother taught us the basics, things that we could use on our own for more common ailments." More serious wounds were not common, and when they did occur, normally another's care was necessary anyway. As it had been after the cougar attacked her, she doubted she could have done much for herself.

"Options are definitely limited by winter. Perhaps there are remedies that are best for the season though. Something to look for." Illness and injury were not summer specific and preparation was needed at all times. Perhaps those in the north would have more knowledge of cold-weather remedies? Were there packs in the north? She would need to explore. A sudden curiosity filled her. So far she had only wandered south.

Perhaps Ame would know. "Have you heard tell of any northern packs?"
2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior

There was much to learn, and feeling particularly aware of her inadequacies, she wished for springtime to come sooner. Of course, as Vienna mentioned, there had to be more seasonally-appropriate remedies to master here in the winter to learn. Yet, Ame could not speak well of them, as she only knew of some barks that could be used, and even that was not understood in full. Most likely, and definitely something I would be interested in knowing better, she said with a nod, for more than once she had worried about the availability of healing plants in the wintertime.

Then, with the shifting subject, she brought her attention towards the packs. Not too much, beyond the fact that they are.. there. Beyond the Plateau, she heard little from the other northern neighbors and since she rarely went trekking out and about on her own anymore, her mental map of where everyone was located was a little fuzzy. She knew there was one not too far from the wetlands towards the northeast, and then there was Ankyra on the coast.. but there was much land between the two and surely a small handful of packs littered the expanses north from here. There is one, a coastal pack which I believe is generally north from here with a poor reputation that I would advise not getting to know better, but they are a good distance away. She had not made too much noise about them since there were many unknowns, and it had become clear that they were not an active threat to the mountain itself. But to wolves out traveling, it was worth knowing just a little about so to avoid the fates that Rain had encountered with them.

350 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
She wasn't sure how close these trips would be together, but she would wish to go check it out for herself after a time. "I shall have to explore sometime then, though keeping a safe distance from the coast. No use in taking chances I don't need to take." If there was a shot at meeting friendlier souls inland, that was what she should try.

She was intrigued by the mention of this coastal group, unfriendly though they may be. She was not curious enough to ignore Amekaze's warning and seek them out, but to say that the idea in no way tempted her would be untrue. The idea of being in bad relations with another pack only made her want to fix the situation, but unless permission was given, she would not attempt such a foolish thing. Especially not alone. If there was one thing she had taken from the past month it was caution. She had learned the merits of proceeding with some thought beforehand.

"I will let you know if I do go, it wouldn't be for a while after this trip. I don't want to be gone too often." She was a wanderer at heart, true, but this place was home. She would miss them all while she was gone and the idea of leaving for extended trips alone got less and less appealing as her affection for her packmates grew.
2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior
She nodded just a bit. Also, she wanted to visit the coast sometime.. but likely not too soon. It would be then, and after using what she could deduce for herself, that she would make her decisions. For now it was just a cautionary word that maybe things could be strange, given the right time and place.. and she didn't need more wolves coming back wounded from being tossed off a cliff.

Until she visited on her own, it was her outriders that she would need to see through. So she definitely did not aim to discourage all travels out. She just wanted them to stay safe.. which was not always easy. Especially until she could feel stronger in her healer abilities, or had a new one trained up in full. "I cannot say for sure anything would happen, but best to be mindful, at least," she reasoned with a soft sigh.

"Understandable," she then replied. Vienna seemed to balance it well, and trusted she would know when she headed out just as she would know when she got back.
350 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
last for me :)

Vienna agreed in full, it was far better to be prepared even if unnecessarily. That was why she was making the trip, after all. And she would be little good to anyone if she got herself hurt again.

She would indeed inform Ame of her departure and return, either directly or through Jace. She liked them to be aware of where she was and knew it was the respectful thing to do. Couldn't have them thinking she's jumped ship, after all! "Thanks, Ame." She appreciated the trust and respect she was shown in her trade.

Now to go take care of things before she left! She had some supplies she wanted to track down and memorize so she could perhaps ask of their use. Some of the mountains plants were rather new to her.
2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior
Slowly, her tail picked up a renewed wag. "Of course, you are welcome.." she added, dipping her snout in a brief nod. While it was not her way to make it known in the clearest of ways, she hoped, truly, that Vienna understood how valuable she was to Ame. While some alphas may be the sort to discredit outriders, and instead focus more on the internal matters, she was coming to find that she found great use in their actions -- even if worrying about them while they were gone was a chore in and of itself..

But, she then offered quick farewells and was on her way as well. She would steadily work her way towards the borderlands, but if something else came up along the way, she was not opposed..