Totoka River obliterate the remnant
2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior
totoka river
<style type="text/css">.ame {margin:auto; width:530px; text-align:justify;font-size:11px;} .ame q {color:#7a2638; font-family:georgia;font-weight:bold;letter-spacing:1.3px;} .ame p {margin:0px;text-indent:30px;}</style>

The overwhelming presence of the nearby sea had changed her course. No longer did she loiter in wait tucked into the depths of the wetlands to the east, or even the hot springs in the shadow of the mountain once belonging to Tartok.

Since coming here a few days ago, she had not left the immediate area of the coastline and its bordering forests. The somewhat warmer temperature and the high humidity of the recent days that had dawned only helped in her pursuits. Amekaze had then sought her focus while the second anniversary of her birth came and went without fanfare, although she felt its influence deep in her bones -- a notion to be considered later.

The dark Rikudou had found it relatively easy to connect between herself and this place's natural energies, thus lending her good vibes and motivation to learn more. Evidently, she could find their wavelength relatively easily despite never knowing these places before now and this came as a welcome change. Insofar, some of the places she had known had seemed cold to her -- not exceptionally inviting, either. She experienced less of that here and it gave her a calmness not felt in any measure since leaving home. Amekaze felt comparatively subdued in its presence. She attributed it to the abundance of water, and that way it seemed overpower all, even well into the depths of the forest. Yet, she had only begun here.

Daylight filtered down from between the massive forest's canopy to dapple her shoulders as she moved from the deep woods and towards the shoreline. Today, it was colder, but not unbearably so. Amekaze just fluffed up her coat to buffer any winds that might cut through the trees and lengthened her gait to an easy trot. She followed the river, knowing that when the forest opened up, the beach would be soon to follow.

Once there, in full sunlight, she stole pause and filled her lungs with the scent of the sea. To her it was still foreign and bizarre almost, but she was finding she liked the sensation it bore.

Just ahead the river divided and each wove a different path towards its eventual goal. She opted for a small offshoot and stalked its bank, her nose hovering low to the ground in investigation. The waters began to smell more and more brackish and the distant roar of the waves steadily grew louder. She would approach them soon.

[Image: 5ifpFkc.png?1]
i want to bleed in the 「r a i n
Avatar by <a href="http://wolf-rpg.com/showthread.php?tid=1084">Zyn</a>
476 Posts
Ooc —
Pied soon discovered that the pack's claim extended beyond the ridge to include lush rainforest to the southeast, grasslands to the southwest and, of course, the open beaches to the north. She spent an entire day traveling the perimeters, then committed several more days to canvassing the width and breadth of the entire territory. Occasionally, she brought Kisu along, though Pied enjoyed the chance to explore on her own as well.

This afternoon, she set off from the foot of the ridge and headed toward the beach, the sand soft and cool under her feet. After trotting along the shoreline a while, she began to move further west, curious to further explore the deltas she'd found there the other day, just beyond Horizon Ridge's westernmost border.

As soon as she came within view of the river, she noticed a black speck roaming its banks, heading toward the forks. Pied tracked the figure as she came closer, quickly identifying it as a wolf. For a moment, her heart leaped, certain that it was Hawkeye. Why would Hawkeye be all the way out there, though? Anyway, Pied eventually caught the stranger's scent and she proved to be just that: a stranger.

She passed over the last of her new pack's markers and strode purposefully onto neutral grounds. Pied headed toward the other wolf, albeit at an indirect angle, so as not to seem like a threat. She stopped well short of the stranger, letting her close the gap if she chose, while Pied herself paused and dipped her head down to guzzle down a few mouthfuls of fresh water.
2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior
<style type="text/css">.ame {margin:auto; width:530px; text-align:justify;font-size:11px;} .ame q {color:#7a2638; font-family:georgia;font-weight:bold;letter-spacing:1.3px;} .ame p {margin:0px;text-indent:30px;}</style>

With the soothing chorus of the water's running in her ears and her senses all given something pertinent to focus on, she felt the subtle charm of inner peace for the time being. Warm, albeit curious here in the depth of the winter's chill, she took solace in her explorations and picked her way along the curvature of the waterway. She would take care to enjoy it fully.

And so, she did not hurry along. Amekaze busied herself with taking in all she could, so when another wolf became part of the nearby scenery, she narrowed her focus accordingly.

Already, the scent of the sea was overwhelmingly strong in her nose but she could see the wolf's markings from here already -- after all, they were uncommon and characteristic of only one wolf she had known. Pied, greetings. Ame chuffed while closing some distance between them in a neutral, relatively relaxed posture. However as unexpected seeing her was, she felt suddenly curious as she realized her mottled coat smelled of the seaside -- even more so than her own. Her presence here was likely not a temporary arrangement and still, here was far from where they had hunted in tandem. Amekaze knew that a short span of time could change circumstance significantly.

476 Posts
Ooc —
Clearly, I had a bit of a brain fart in my last post (Pied not recognizing Ame). Much apologies wow. /doge

And now I'm going to run with my mistake... ;)

When the stranger spoke her name, Pied's head reared back and she snorted, looking incredibly nonplussed by this unexpected development. Her nostrils flared and she drank in the other wolf's scent again. This time, it struck a chord of familiarity. It took her a few beats, yet Pied managed to dredge up the hazy memory of hunting alongside this very wolf several months ago. She wasn't sure why the memory seemed to have been suppressed. Had she been so starved at the time that her mental faculties had been afflicted, preventing her from storing it? Or had she locked up all the memories of those thin, painful days when Bon Dye had slowly and miserably collapsed?

"Ame, hi," she blurted after too long of a pause. Her tail wagged lightly and she wondered whether Ame had noticed her peculiar behavior. Well, of course she had. "I'm sorry, I didn't recognize you at first. I think my brains may have been addled when we met... you know, from the hunger and everything." The piebald yearling smiled apologetically. "I know I've been better since. How are you doing?" Even as she spoke, she dragged the memory of their mice-hunting out into the light and examined in more closely, recollecting it as a grim but not altogether horrible memory.
2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior
ahaha s'all good

Amekaze's ears splayed at first and her verdant eyes took to a brief squint. Surely, this was Pied... although the lack of recognition she saw in the other female's expression did lead her to question it if only for a second. Ame knew her markings well enough and doubted that many others wore them in the same manner. Although if she had encountered a doppleganger, she would not be able to deny her surprise.

Yet, matters seemed to resolve themselves and a greeting came her way. She mirrored the small tail wag and exhaled a small sigh -- a breath she had not even realized was caught in her throat. Understandable, it is alright, she replied to the apology with a small dip of her muzzle. Amekaze liked a nondescript, secretive existence anyway, and did not despair over a wolf not remembering her. Besides, as Pied had said, hunger had been a much greater thought then. Those days had been... strange, even for her and she was loathe to remember them in too excruciating of detail.

She listened, then gathered her response carefully. Well enough. I have only recently come to find the coast and already the sea-side has treated me better than inland has. Ame took a small pause and shifted her weight. You have joined a new pack? she asked, referencing the shift in scent and well, location too. It seemed Bon Dye had lost her loyalty, although Amekaze had heard the pack had reformed and moved. But, she thought she smelled.. Akhlut? That or the sea was in her nose.

476 Posts
Ooc —
Ame's question forced Pied to mentally backpedal. That was right, they'd met during Bon Dye's death throes. "Yeah, I live in Horizon Ridge. Bon Dye disbanded and reformed over at Blacktail Deer Plateau. They're doing okay but I moved here to be with my mate, Kisu." As far as she was concerned, their mate-ship was formal, though the pair still awaited Akhlut's official ritual. She didn't bother mentioning these unimportant details to her acquaintance.

"How about you? If you're still looking for a pack and you like the coast, you should consider the ridge. I've only been here a week or so and it's wonderful. I grew up near the sea, so it's great to be back beside it. I'm not sure how I ever lived without it, really," she admitted, glancing sideways at the spot where the river's forks met the incoming tide.
2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior

She didn't often receive news about pack happenings, so given this chance, she listened -- even more so when Horizon Ridge was mentioned. Bon Dye's reformation had caught little attention from her so far. Amekaze wondered briefly of Vires, and if she had remained with them, and then Kisu was mentioned. Again, Amekaze had known little of this, not even that they had known one another but it was little business of hers. She nodded thoughtfully and guessed that this meant Kisu was doing alright for himself too.

Evidently, Pied's testimonial of the Ridge was favorable, which she made note of. As the pack most relevant to her present interests and location, she fancied keeping tabs on them until she heard otherwise. I have not joined any yet, but I have met Akhlut. His Ridge seems the... best choice, of what I know. Especially with Tonravik apparently out of the area entirely. Amekaze had not found trace of her, and the remainders of Bon Dye had yet to inspire too much curiosity in her either. I do not know, though, I would like to know him better. I assume the pack does well enough for itself? With Pied and Kisu among the ranks that was already two who seemed like decent citizens, but she knew Akhlut was a young, untested leader -- not that she was any older or more experienced, though, and she had found his company tolerable too.

Still, her freedom... Although the benefits of a pack were sure to outweigh the loss in time. She stubbornly held out, waiting for the right time to make a move one way or another. Pied's words were at least good towards the case of banding together with the Ridge's wolves, although much of her opinion rested on their leader.

476 Posts
Ooc —
Ame mentioned Akhlut by name, eliciting a curious twitch of Pied's tail. He seemed to have left a good impression on the lone wolf, though Ame mentioned that she didn't know him well enough to truly judge. With that said, she seemed to have already developed a slight penchant for the ridge. Intuiting this, Pied saw the opportunity to help recruit what would be a good addition into the pack. She was no salesperson, so she wouldn't stand here and make a sales pitch, but she would definitely tuck a good word or two into her companion's ear.

"It's pretty small," the yearling said forthrightly, "but we have a really large territory, especially relatively speaking. We claim the ridge, as well as parts of the forests and beaches surrounding it. It makes for a variety of good hunting. I've only been here a short while, as I mentioned, but it's been a treat exploring everything too." Although the plateau had offered abundant prey as well, the territory simply paled in comparison to the ridge's.

"I don't know everyone that well yet but Akhlut seems like a sensible leader. And we've already established good relations with Blacktail Deer Plateau," she decided to mention. "So we're in good standing, for sure," Pied finished, leaving plenty of room for Ame to ask specific questions if she had any.
2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior

Amekaze still struggled to envision herself fitting into a pack lifestyle again. Even when she had been a pack wolf before, the structure her family had created and lived under had been different from what she understood traditional to be. If she were to join, it would take time to adjust.. and the thought of such made her vaguely uncomfortable. Old habits would be hard to break and she was leery of the constriction of hierarchy and obligation..

Hearing that it was small didn't perturb her any and learning of the territory at length was useful, though. She made note. Ah, so the lands are good, even considering the season. Although, I cannot say I am too surprised. The seaside does.. well, So it seemed to her, anyway, and she had only been here a few weeks.

She nodded on, also having been under the impression that Akhlut was sensible enough to head his pack well, despite his inexperience. He had appeared proud, although not to the point of pure arrogance, and able to make logical choices with a decent head on his shoulders -- as was evidenced already by his territory choice and good terms with others (which she just heard of now).

From Pied's words, it sounded as if life at the Ridge was.. good. You speak highly of it all. A smaller pack would almost... suit me more. Less complicated relations to sort through until she found her footing as a wolf of a pack (she repressed a cringe at the thought). And depending on how small is small, it seems I already am familiar with a portion of your membership -- you, Kisu, and Akhlut, that I know of, she mentioned. The last pack I was vaguely interested in disappeared before I could even know them better, she huffed, feeling marginally more talkative now. I hope that the Ridge is more stable than that. Which, time would have to tell.

476 Posts
Ooc —
Some wolves may have been put off by the pack's small size, yet Ame seemed to view it in a positive light. "There's only a half dozen of us right now, maybe one or two more. I haven't met everyone personally," she shared, "so you've met about half of us. As for stability, I feel like I can't say one way or the other myself yet. The more members we gain, the more stable we'll be, though," she hinted with a little twitch of her lips.

"What pack was that?" she wondered, thrusting her snout at Ame in an inquisitive fashion, her eyes vaguely scanning their surroundings before finding their way back to the other she-wolf's stoic face.
2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior

Her favorable reaction to the pack's small size came with the slightest reservation. A small pack could possibly more prone to dissolving, she guessed, so it would be a gamble of sorts. But she did not want to suddenly go from zero daily reactions to so many so soon. A large pack was off-putting for now, as socially withdrawn as she was. Yet, if it was comprised of a few, capable wolves, she could probably fit in easier. But this was all speculation. She would consider it all she was able, and still the next conclusion step forward eluded her.

Pied's hints did not go unnoticed, but she stayed quiet. Surely, her allegiance would be of some use to them and their continued presence here.. and if she knew nearly half of them already, that made her issue of meeting fellow pack wolves a little less severe. Time will tell. I do intend to seek out Akhlut again, she mentioned, then exhaled slowly.

It was Tartok. I had met their alpha and a member and once thought decently enough of them both to want to learn more, she huffed. She did not let it sour her much, but it was disappointing. At least they had gone on their way before she could become too invested in getting to know them better. Seems it was not meant to be, but this was before I had heard of the Ridge at all.

476 Posts
Ooc —
She didn't recognize the name of the pack, though a sense of familiarity niggled at the very back of his mind, as if she'd heard the word Tartok somewhere, perhaps long ago. Pied didn't pursue the subject, though, especially since this Tartok pack had evidently gone the way of the Dragonwatchers. Besides, the mention of Tartok seemed to put a bad taste in Ame's mouth.

"Well, the ridge is new and small but, if I have anything to do with it, it will stick around and succeed. I already mentioned that I was a part of Bon Dye... well, the highest-ranked members all disappeared and we went through a period of absolute misery before my pack mate and friend, Hawkeye, stepped up and reformed the pack. We moved to the plateau. I was only there for a few weeks before Kisu swept me off my feet and I moved to the ridge to be with him. I'm very ready to find some stability in my life and really establish roots somewhere, you know?" Pied stopped there, realizing she was rambling.
2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior

It seemed that learning of the Akhlut and his Ridge had come at a good time for her, what with her only other lead on a halfway considerable pack going away. Maybe it was fate suggesting something, in a way, but she was reluctant to put much stock in a belief like that. Although it was hard to discount it entirely.

She twitched an ear and found Pied's next words interesting, at least. A pack's strength banked largely on the leader, true, but with membership invested in the cause it could only be better. She chuffed softly after having let her brows furrow as she heard of Bon Dye's woes in the most detail she had been given so far. Surely, nothing worth repeating and certainly nothing Amekaze was interested in experiencing. To have highly ranked wolves leave suddenly would be utterly frustrating. She believed her loyalty deserved more than that, and thus, she could not give it freely. That is mildly encouraging to hear, Ame murmured truthfully. I do hope nothing like that becomes of the Ridge. I may not know him well but Akhlut.. does not seem the type to just leave. His pride.. she said thoughtfully, her words trailing in an incomplete idea as she tilted her head. I can see how the notion of roots would appeal, especially... here, She gestured vaguely in the direction of the sea with her muzzle. I had thought I would have wandered on long ago even, she exhaled, and perhaps there was a touch of conflict in her lowered tones -- she missed Mount Rikudou, but was her place and purpose elsewhere now?

476 Posts
Ooc —
At least Ame didn't seem to mind her rambling. Pied cocked her head to the side as her companion spoke, musing aloud about Akhlut again. She nodded in silent agreement. One of her silvered ears twitched in mild confusion when she misheard something Ame said (who called groups of wolves prides?), yet she didn't bother questioning it out loud. Perhaps it was a term Ame had brought with her from wherever she'd been born.

When Ame gestured toward the ocean again, Pied's lips curled. "One cannot overlook that unforgettable water feature," she agreed lightly, as if she were a real estate agent and Horizon Ridge was a house she was trying to tell to Ame.

Yet Pied did not wish to press the lone she-wolf. In fact, she announced in the next moment, "I'd better head back. I told my mate I'd meet him for lunch. I told him I was going out exploring this morning and I think he made me agree to see him at noon so I wouldn't wander off too far," she joked, chuffing.

As she turned to go, Pied paused to say, "Goodbye, Ame, and good luck. I hope to see you again." With that last hint and a smile, the piebald Omicron swiveled and loped back toward the ridge line in the distance.
2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior
junky endcap woohoo

Pied had given her more to think about. With very little bad to account for, she couldn't deny the pull Horizon Ridge had on her. Now knowing that she was already familiar with several of its fellows only helped and she decided that she would likely find Akhlut sooner rather than later.

Amekaze nodded silently when Pied spoke of heading back, citing valid reasons -- she wouldn't keep her unnecessarily, and Ame could resume prowling the riverside and likely continue onto the beach. Farewell, she chuffed in return, mentally hanging onto Pied's mention of hoping to see her again. Perhaps, she mused, but didn't consider it for long.

She returned her focus to the scenery and was on her own way.