Whitefish River we just keep swimming, swimming, swimming upstream
856 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Master Ambassador
Advisor
Coach
Rue nodded at Kavik's question, although she suspected it had been rhetorical. There was only one request of Minori's that would require them to leave the territory for discussion. Kavik nodded for her to follow, and Rue did so, noting that the hunter had his gaze trained. It seemed he had spotted their target. 

As they better positioned themselves to run down the buck, Kavik invited her to speak her opinion. Rue took in a long breath. Although they were now speaking of Minori and not Liri, Rue found this topic no less challenging. It did not bring her joy to speak doubts of a packmate, especially not one as loyal and hardworking as Minori. 

"I think that you and I are managing well as a leadership team," Rue began, "But I am not.. not confident in my ability to lead alone, should any events.. um.. compel your absence." Rue was beating around the bush a little bit here, but she figured Kavik would understand more or less what she meant. For one specific example, if anything should happen to Liri, and Kavik should need to take time to himself-- as would likely be necessary and quite understandable-- Rue did not wish for the weight of sole leadership upon her shoulders. 

"This is a dilemma for me, because I also cannot confidently reccommend anyone for the position," Rue admitted, almost feeling dirty for saying it. "..Yet," she ammended, hoping that someone might yet rise to the occasion and change her mind. She certainly meant no disrespect to any of the Plateau wolves.. Many of their packmates were skilled in their trades and dedicated to the pack, but Rue felt that alone was not enough to warrant nomination. Leadership required something extra, and Rue just hadn't seen it consistently in any of their packmates. Yet. Rue inhaled a long breath before continuing. 

"Minori is quite enthusiastic for the job. I.. I think she is devoted to the pack and makes a fine mercenary, but.. I am not impressed with her diplomacy." Or lack thereof. Rue knew that Minori's quite-unnecessary posturing during Takara's recruitment would be fresh on both their minds. There were other examples too, such as her hostility toward Corvus when he returned. "She seems to be.. reactive," Rue pointed out, "And I worry that if we appoint a leader who is so ruled by emotion, we will end up with another.. another Grezig situation." Rue's mouth set firmly. 

"I also worry about her erratic behavior after her head injury..." Rue continued gently. Surely Kavik knew what she was talking about, or he had at least heard the whispers. Minori had been startling easily, calling people by the wrong name, slipping into her native tongue seemingly by accident... She appeared to be much improved now, but Rue worried that the pressures of leadership might trigger a regression.

"And.." Rue added her final worry, "..the way she relates with packmates." Male packmates specifically, but Rue was not bold enough to say so aloud. Rue had only really heard hushed rumors about Minori and Corvus, Minori and Issun... but she had seen for her own eyes Minori overreacting in situations involving both of these men. Of course a leader should be allowed to pursue love, but in Rue's opinion this pursuit should not come at the expense of the pack's greater harmony. This had been Grezig's crucial mistake. 

Rue was proud of herself for speaking her concerns, but pointing out flaws in a loyal packmate was incredibly uncomfortable for her. Her jaw was quivering with the effort of it, and she felt like she was wound up tighter than a caterpillar in its silk caccoon. She needed to run, needed to expel some of this negative energy, and she hoped Kavik might consider felling the buck before pursuing the conversation further.  
Messages In This Thread
RE: we just keep swimming, swimming, swimming upstream - by Ruenna - December 19, 2018, 11:26 AM