an hour of wolves and shattered shields
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
Private 
we can keep this short & sweet since we have the other going <3

"kallik and aquene have lain together. i am not certain for how long it has been happening." germanicus could not be accused of tactfulness, not under his own roof. he sat down beside their bed and rotated his aching shoulders. "kallik wants to court her. he says they do not want to be married or have children. i said i would prefer that they have a chaperone or meet in common areas. he was resistant to this and i am certain he is angry now."

it felt rather impossible. "i do not arrange marriages. but i did press him this time." germanicus was thoughtful. "i see no reason why casual courtship should be practiced here. it is too distracting in my opinion." but his was not the only one which mattered. he looked at ruenna now.
856 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Master Ambassador
Advisor
Coach
Germanicus moved with a bit of stiffness, which was not unusual when he put in a long day's work. If he allowed it, Ruenna would work a bit of Aquene's medicinal balm into the fur along his back and shoulders. The balm had been quite soothing for her back, and really a blessing to her as she recovered from the physical activities of the week past. 

"Hmm. I was aware that Aquene had spent some nights in Kallik's chamber, but I imagined that was for safety and peace of mind."  Ruenna knew herself the terror that trauma could impose-- especially at night-- and it had made sense to her as to why Aquene might require a guardian nearby in order to rest easy. She had been through much in this past moon. "I suppose it was naive of me, to think there was nothing else afoot." 

A pause, and she allowed, "It did occur to me that their bond of trust might bloom into more than friendship. But I never imagined they would come up with such a ridiculous idea. How can there be courtship without the desire for marriage? What purpose does it serve?" Wolves courted in order to get to know one another on a deeper level, for the purpose of preparing for a married life together. If there was no desire for marriage, then Germanicus was correct-- courtship was little more than a distraction.

Ruenna experiences chronic lower back pain as a result of an accident from over a year ago. She moves with a very obvious, heavy limp.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
germanicus was relieved to know that ruenna seemed to be of similar mind to himself. he closed his eyes as she worked upon his shoulders. she was a very good wife and the eagle had settled into her nightly attentiveness. he looked forward to their time together each evening.

"i asked him how he would feel if aquene ended their engagement and began anew with another of the soldiers. it would not please kallik and it would cause dissent in my ranks." he sighed and leaned back somewhat as his body relaxed.

"i am concerned that our medicus will see it as he does. it is not my intention to force them but —" 

here in their chambers the imperator could shed the bindings of his rank. in time he turned and sought her ministering paw with a kiss. "i think i am becoming more protective," he said gruffly.
856 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Master Ambassador
Advisor
Coach
Germanicus noted the obvious flaw with casual dating, and Ruenna nodded in agreement. "I was once in a pack that was torn apart by a love triangle. It was such an embarrassing end, and so avoidable." Rue shook her head, recalling the Liri, Kavik, and Grezig debacle. "I understand the desire to court before making a decision, but it should be done openly and with the true intention to marry." 

Germanicus detailed his concerns further, and Ruenna sighed. "I don't think force is advisable, nor will it even be necessary. They just need a little.. pressure," Ruenna said thoughtfully. "The chaperone requirement will do the trick, I think." Ruenna knew people very well, and she knew that people would never change their behavior-- not until they became uncomfortable enough. The chaperone would certainly make things uncomfortable. 

The topic shifted, and Ruenna chuckled at Germanicus's admission. The kiss was a sweet touch, and it inspired Ruenna to divulge, "Soon you will have more to protect, Germanicus." She smiled conspiratorially, then leaned in to kiss his muzzle with affection.

Ruenna experiences chronic lower back pain as a result of an accident from over a year ago. She moves with a very obvious, heavy limp.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
whatever came to mind next dissolved beneath ruenna's words. he had no response for mention of courtship past or present. 

germanicus grew very still, the line of his shoulders firm with some unnamed emotion. and for that time it seemed his eyes beheld nothing.

and then the imperator blinked.

he returned to himself. moving so that he was truly before her, germanicus reached to perhaps pull his wife somewhat closer.

he was unromantic. and the eagle was not one who allowed his emotions more than the tight leather of a well-worn rein. but then again he had not heard these words before. and neither had the eagle experienced the sensation which tightened his chest inexorably and with a harsh intenseness unlike anything he had felt before.

her eyes were living gold, he felt. ruenna's face bore a glow that the man did not think he would comprehend. gently he lowered his forehead against her own, movements ginger with hesitation. 

"i will strive each day to be — better than i was the one before." he meant to be solemn but his voice held a slight roughness to its sound. "a better husband. a better — father." oh, he did not know that he understood the title. "and they will be adored."
856 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Master Ambassador
Advisor
Coach
Perhaps Germanicus thought of himself as unromantic, but this was not at all how he was viewed by Ruenna. A man need not wear his heart on his sleeve for it to be known by a perceptive woman, and Germanicus had shown his heart in with his actions, if not his words. Each time he requested her advice and listened earnestly, in every quiet evening they shared in their room, and with every pawful of healing balm massaged into her back, Germanicus showed his heart. It would never be forgotten that Germanicus had compromised much of his original vision for Mereo to accommodate for Ruenna. What could possibly be more romantic than the gifts of respect, quality time, and sacrifice?

Germanicus was still for a long moment. Then he pulled Ruenna closer, pressed his forehead against her own, and spoke his vow. His words were rough. This was difficult for him, to talk this way. Ruenna appreciated the effort more than he knew. 

"Germanicus, I could not imagine how you could be a better husband than the one you are already," she insisted. She tilted her head to place a small kiss on his cheek, and then she continued. "If you care for your children with the same effort and intentionality that I see you demonstrate every day with your soldiers, you will be a great father as well." Germanicus was already a father figure to many of Mereo's young men, whether he knew and accepted this or not. Ruenna was certain that he would not experience fatherhood to be so different from the leadership and mentorship roles at which he already excelled. 

"They will be adored," Ruenna echoed, beaming. She then swung her muzzle in toward her stomach to lick at her belly fur, certain that her children could feel her and would understand how much they were loved already. 

Ready to fade when you are!

2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
<3

ruenna had a faith in him that germanicus did not posses. her kiss lingered upon his cheek. the eagle watched quietly as she turned away from him, the soft curve of her neck mirroring that of her belly. she would be a wonderful mother, a fine credit to maternal love and instinct.

and yet he questioned his own. suppose he was too harsh?  suppose he faltered? suppose he panicked at the pinnacle of the moment?

later as ruenna slept, he would find himself awake again, watching upward the ceiling of their home. there was much to ponder. germanicus kept his breathing even.

perhaps in dreams it might come to him.

the imperator who put such faith in logic found himself standing at the precipice of something far more emotional than he had canvassed yet before.

and his heart was beginning to terraform itself.