Stone Circle What is drama but life with the dull bits cut out
Follow your heart, listen to your inner voice, stop caring about what others think.
545 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
All Welcome 
@Ira

Steph stretched from her sleeping spot in Stone Circle. She had taken a short, mid-nap, but she didn't want to be down for too long. There was too much to do for her. She sat up, bringing her left leg up to scratch an itch on her neck before she stood and shook her fur out. She yawned as she waited for her brain to fully wake up, then headed towards the stream that wove through the trees. 

A few minutes later, she drank her fill from the cool water, and lapped up what was on her maw. Her thoughts went back to her failed rabbit hunt this morning. She would try again at sunset, even though her stomach growled for food now. She would not eat from the cache, not when her mother needed it more than she. So, for a few moments, she allowed herself to simply sit and listen to the sound of home.
The soul that sees beauty may sometimes walk alone ~Geothe
Sunny is allowed in all threads, open or private, created by Steph
lift me higher, let me look at the sun
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
Ever dutiful despite her days counting down, Ira wanted to make the most of it and provide where she still could. The warrior traversed the edge of the borders, only pausing near the river at the sight of a familiar face. She recalled the young woman from her first days of Easthollow, Valette's daughter. What was her name--

Steph--?

Despite the girl's absence, she doubted her presence would ever be considered trespassing. Not to mention Valette's scent already clung to her which could only mean she returned home. You have returned.
#DAA520 , pawprintIra's Playlist  3/20*, * = incomplete threads
Follow your heart, listen to your inner voice, stop caring about what others think.
545 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Though she had not been listening for the approach, it caught her attention anyways. Her head swiveled as the female approached. Steph remembered her because she looked so much like her father, Greyback. She gave a friendly smile, though she remember Ira as being less than a happy-go-lucky wolf. I have, she confirmed. 

Steph had changed in her few months from home. She had found something in herself that she had been missing before. She was more knowledgeable, though some of that knowledge she got whether she wanted it or not, like how to fight. A few scars littered her face, but she found she had grown proud of them. She had also gained a confidence she hadn't had before, along with a quiet calmness. 

How have you been? Steph asked Ira, honestly interested. The pack had grown, she could tell, but other than that, she was ignorant to any other details.
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
Quick to formalities, she could appreciate that. I'm fine, thank you. More than fine, but also troubled. In a good way at least. New beginnings always took courage. Did your travels serve you well? Before Steph's absence, she never had the chance to speak with one of Valette's oldest. She did recall that she was once deemed second in command and as a warrior herself, she could only hope that some of that fighting blood ran through the wolf before her.

She was not blind to the new scars that littered the female's pelt. Luckily none looked too serious. She was happy to know another who could fight would be left behind after she took her leave. Easthollow had always been peaceful, but only up to the borders. There were scary things lurking in the shadows nearby, and she always hated how few of the wolves here took interest in protective fighting.
545 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Steph was glad to hear that Ira was well. She nodded slowly to her next question. They did, she answered. She wasn't sure how much Ira was actually interested in, but she figured the other female would let Steph know. I actually didn't really know what I was looking for when I left, she admitted. She had only known that something was calling to her, and she wouldn't find it in Easthollow. 

She cracked a grin. Turns out, she added a moment later, I was looking for myself. Five months ago, she couldn't have admitted that to herself, let alone to anyone else. Now that she had found an inner strength, it didn't seem so daunting to let others know that. Jokingly, she said, Who'da thunk it? She chuckled at her own joke.
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
Steph admitted to leaving Easthollow a lost soul, something she probably didn't realize but was quite normal from what Ira had witnessed. It's hard to stay somewhere your entire life, the world is very big. Sometimes a life journey requires an actual journey.

The roan wolf offered a small shrug with closed eyes. I believe that's quite normal. I too left home to write my own life. More like avoid shame, but in her defense, she built herself stronger since she left. Ira returned her gaze to the black figure ahead of her as she moved to take a seat at the river's edge indulging in a drink of her own. I am glad you answered your questions. Your mother could use the support I'm sure too. Four pups take most of her time.
545 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
A little vagueness going on in this post

Ira explained that is was quite common for coming of age wolves to do the same, and even she herself had done it. It made Steph feel better that she wasn't alone in that. How old were you? Steph asked, curious. She figured it was different for every wolf that went out on their own. She wondered how many simply found new lives and didn't go back to their home pack.

She nodded when Valette was brought up. Yes, she agreed. She was looking a bit thin, she added. Valette said the pack was large. Are enough of them hunting for her? she asked. Steph didn't know what had gotten into her, it just simply irked her to see her mother thinner than she should have been with so many around. Like Aerasha. Aerasha looks quite healthy, she commented, gauging Ira's reaction. Much too healthy, in Steph's opinion.
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
Thinking back to when she left, Ira had been an adult, but only barely. I was around two and wandered for over a year. Steph commented about Valette's appearance, and she too had noticed how thin the Matriarch was becoming. Unfortunately, Ira was not a hunter and could only provide small meals, if not hunt for herself.

Then Aerasha came into play. It was true the woman seemed to be living life larger than ever...literally. Truth be told, she avoided all contact with the happy carefree wolf since their first interaction. She had a way of prolonging her patrols in the least useful way. If I am quite honest, I tend to myself opposed to watching over the rest. The only ones I accept to watch are the little ones who actually need it. I try to hunt for myself to avoid the cache as I'm only really good with small game.
545 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
So, Ira had done it older than Steph, and for longer. Steph did understand it was different for every wolf. Even the experiences they learned while out on their own would be different. Some wolves found they liked roaming, maybe found a new pack to be in, others may have found mates. Steph needed only to find herself, and it helped her understand that this was right where she belonged. 

The answer Steph got did not please her, but she was careful to bite her tongue. This was supposed to be a family. They were supposed to be looking out for each other! Why did that not seem the case any longer? Why was Ira only tending to herself? Why was Aersha fat and her mother thin? Where the hell was Greyback? Wasn't he supposed to take over leadership duties while Valette was tending to their pups? Why did this seem more of a place where wolves stayed instead of a pack that had each other's backs?

Steph was quite for a short time. She knew that if she spoke in anger, it wouldn't help a thing. Thank you for being honest, she said finally. Steph had so many things that she wanted to do to jump start Easthollow back into life. But, first thing's first. Speaking of hunting, I think I'll go do that. See you around! she promised. She stood to go.

Steph would, indeed, be keeping an eye on things. After she went and hunted down a hare for @Valette and the pups.
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
Thanks for the thread! Even if Ira just up and left the next day >:(
Ironically the roan wolf would soon be looking after far more bodies than just her own, but becoming a leader means you start to think more about others. She was glad Steph was back to take care of the pack. They needed more specialized hunters and warriors, maybe the black pelted female was neither, but what was important was her willingness to at least try and fill those holes. I wish you good hunting. Gods know they need it with Aerasha. As the old keeper left, Ira's eyes would trail until she was out of view before continuing her patrol.