Swiftcurrent Creek i used to be nice, soft and tender
539 Posts
Ooc — summer
Away
All Welcome 
@Ibis 
She was foolish to think she could've resisted the urge to return. She thought she would be able to go on her merry way and avoid it, but her heart tugged her towards the Creek and soon she found her paws pacing in this direction too. She wasn't sure what she was expecting- to come back and see Fox and Bazi and Scimitar waiting for her? Of course not, and yet, she wasn't sure this is what she had imagined either. Star's eyes surveyed the landscape and travelled along the rocky shore of the creek. It looked the same as it once had many years ago. But it felt hollow and empty now, the pack was long gone. She could feel her heart sink, as she wondered what could've been their downfall, or what had happened to the wolves she once knew. Star knew wallowing in her emotions wasn't good for her soul- and yet- coming back to a place as nostalgic as this just stirred up those feelings. She approached the rushing water closely and took a seat right beside it, gazing almost longingly into the wild current, as her mind wandered to memories of her times here.
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
She remembered this place. It had been well marked the last time she had come here, and Ibis thought fondly of those warmer days. She had travelled alongside her aunt Sarah and her friend Gannet. Here they had met the guardians of the river and spoken with their superiors, trying to make nice so that the Hollow would perhaps have more friends in the valley. Such a long time ago - a different time, it felt like. Ibis surely felt like a different person now.

And the markings were faded too, now. Changed. The girl wandered across them with some skepticism, as if to touch the borderlands would be tantamount to treason; maybe someone still waited here for those curious enough to investigate, and then strike them down? She was skittish in her steps, shy, fawn-like in her silence and her creeping. The river's roaring pulse could be heard soon enough and it drowned out all else; there was a segment that looked to have over-ridden the bank and flooded outward, and it was this she circled, sniffing and watching.

Pieces of rubble had somehow become scattered across the terrain. Some larger pieces - what looked to be stumps or massive old trees - were uprooted and half-drowned in the water. It looked as if a mountain had fallen to pieces over the river and redirected it. The girl frowns; she cannot remember if anything so disastrous had ever happened in the Hollow, and Elysium had been intact when she had last visited there... Evidently, the river pack had not fared so well.

She remained for a few more hours, trailing through the territory and scouring for remains. Wolves could've been trapped here, she thought. It seemed only right to honour those lives possibly lost. Ibis did not find anything and for that she was thankful; there were some abandoned caches though, most of which had been picked clean by now. She lingered over one, and noticed as something pale drifted in her periphery. It looked small, light, like a cloud. She sought to close the distance, and as she did the cloud grew in size, almost triple her own dimensions - but it was decidedly canid.

The wolf lingered on the edge of the water and seemed to be distracted by it, perhaps mourning what once was. Ibis could relate. She thought to leave them to their own devices but knew how it felt to find a home abandoned, a family lost. Her heart went out to the stranger - and soon she was drifting up alongside them, her reflection rippling in reverse from the flowing water. She was quiet for a moment, letting the other wolf take notice of her in their own time, and then said: Did you live here, once?
539 Posts
Ooc — summer
Away
your writing is so impressive!!! my apologies if I cant keep up well in terms of length >_>

A sudden voice broke the cool air, startling Star out of her trance and almost causing her to jump a little. She hadn't noticed the wolf as she approached. She had noted that her senses seemed to be dimming lately- she wasn't sure if it was the old age, the nostalgia, or some combination of the two- but she cursed herself each time she let herself slip up. She swiftly looked upon the woman before her. Younger than Star, as most seemed to be these days, considering her old age. The girl was covered in calming shades of grey and white.

And Star was in awe at the wolf's words. It was as if she had read her mind exactly, and she wondered momentarily if her outward appearance betrayed that much of her inner thought. "It's as if you read my mind, girl." She started. "Once, I lived here. There was a pack here many years ago." She spoke about it distantly, as if it was ancient- in reality, unbeknownst to her, the pack had only fallen apart a month or so earlier. But it was true that the home she had known there had been dead for a long, long time.
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
Aw ty! I'm writing more lately because of NaNoWriMo, but don't feel pressured to match. :)

It had not been immediately apparent that the woman was older (nor in fact a woman) until they spoke, their voice at first sounding light but quickly becoming a bit weathered, either from disuse or age. It was a nice voice either way, sort of what Ibis imagined a grandmother might sound like. The way the stranger spoke of the riverside, it was as if she had lived her many generations ago — had Ibis stumbled upon a ghost, then?

There was a pack here more recently too, Ibis explained, which hopefully helped the woman a little bit too. Maybe she knew of the next iteration, or someone who lived among them. I came through here a season ago to acquaint myself on behalf of the pack I ran with, but... It seems like they've all gone. As she mentions this she looks away from the rushing water, to the haphazardly piled remnants of trees and the carved chunks of stone that litter the green.

Nothing here now but ruin. Well, a messy territory and a couple of wayward women trying to make sense of it. With this thought in mind Ibis looked to the pale woman again, noticing finally the marks upon her body - most of which were hidden in the silver-white tufts of her coat, and did not comment upon them despite her curiosity. It wasn't proper, Ibis thought. None of her business - although who would harm someone like this? The wounds looked old and perhaps they were from when the woman was much younger; they did not appear to bother them much, either way.

Are you looking for somewhere to live? She boldly asks, having never broached the subject in such a manner before and thus, not knowing what to expect. So far everyone she's encountered has been in need of a haven, but they've sought her out, and it was odd to be on the other side with something to offer. Maybe Ibis was wrong in her assumption though - perhaps this ghost was merely passing through and like her friend Bhediya, was looking for something she had left behind.
539 Posts
Ooc — summer
Away
Her ears perked as the younger girl stated that a pack had still existed there not too long ago. Her curiousity was piqued and naturally she wanted to ask a lot of questions as her thoughts jumped wildly from place to place, but she wasn't sure where to start. She noticed the girl's glance at the ruins, and within a few moments she spoke again: "Do you know what has caused their leave? This wreckage?" She asked, referring to the mess around them. 

When the girl asked her about looking for somewhere to live, Star chuckled. "At my age, it's more of looking for somewhere to die." She joked. Once upon a time she had been fearful to grow old and face her mortality head-on. Now she had matured, she had come to terms with the fact that her bones were old and her chances at ever being a pack leader or a mother were basically over. She could joke about her approaching death even if her life hadn't gone the way she had dreamed. "But in all seriousness. Maybe. For now I am a nomad, but if I find a place that seems well-fit, perhaps I will settle." She told the girl matter-of-factly. The problem was that Star had never known what she was searching for. She said she was looking for something well-suited, but she wasn't even sure exactly what that meant to her.
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
The stranger must have been away for a while, and only arrived quite recently, if they had not noticed the tumult of the past few months. It struck Ibis that there might have been a safe harbor somewhere after all, somewhere away from the quaking earth and the dangers that had arisen because of it. Her heart swelled, thinking of her absent brother - there was hope for his survival, still. As the girl opened her mouth to answer the question, the woman went on to speak further - the topic of which was grim, and made Ibis clam up instantly. She was not known for joking about death; until the cataclysm of this passed autumn she would not have thought of it at all, but... Ibis had lost too many in too short a time, now it seemed to dominate every moment.

To have someone as esteemed as this elder speaking in such a glib manner felt wrong, especially in the ruins of this land. Ibis would not speak against her though; it was not her place to correct anyone, so she stayed her tongue for a moment. The woman did not sound interested in settling anywhere and the girl could accept that; perhaps it was for the better.

For now I am a nomad, but if I find a place that seems well-fit, perhaps I will settle. The ghost elucidated; Ibis considered offering the marsh, but a selfish side of her (one which had been growing stronger as of late) kept her silent. She did not want to face the inevitable death of this fine woman, no matter how obvious it might have been. It was not fair to anyone of the marsh to put them through it either.

As for the past residents - This used to be home to a pack called Swiftcurrent. They might have dispersed earlier, I am not sure when exactly, but... The whole region has been unstable throughout autumn. The ground has been shaking, trees have been unmoored, it seems from my brief visit -- maybe parts of the mountains have collapsed. She motions with a flick of her thin snout towards the piles of rubble to confirm her suspicion, but it sounds too far-fetched for Ibis; how could a mountain crumble? But she remembered trying to cross the range before and nearly falling off the edge when things began to shake. It had been terrifying.

When I last visited I spoke to a... pausing to think back, Ibis squints and looks skyward briefly and then remembers the name, Rosalie! Does that sound familiar? She glances to the woman next, half expecting her to recognize the name but finding herself full of doubt, too.
539 Posts
Ooc — summer
Away
If Star had known her somewhat grim joke would offend the girl, she would've held back. In fact, it was better now that she was unaware of the effect it had on Ibis- had she been able to read her mind, she would've been thoroughly embarrassed. But the girl didn't react outwardly and so Star assumed that her humor was fine. When Ibis began to talk about Swiftcurrent, Star's eyes visibly lit up with satisfaction. Sure, they were gone now- but just considering that her old pack had lasted several years after her leave, made her feel happy in a way. If they had thrived for so many years, she wondered for a moment if she made the wrong choice by exiting. But it was far too late to have thoughts like that, and so she shooed the question away.

And then- shaking grounds? Collapsing mountains? It sounded to Star like the end of the world had hit the Wilds. Her eyes widened as she listened in shock. "It seems I have been away far too long! I think Mother Nature must be angry with this population," She joked again, unaware of the gravity of the situation and the terrifying effects it had had on many individuals.

When Ibis attempted to recall a certain wolf's name, Star listened eagerly, hopeful that she would name one of Star's old friends. Sometimes things in the universe work out perfectly to create miraculous coincidences to unite people. Now was unfortunately not one of those times. She wore a slight frown as she tried to recall the wolves she knew, and the name did not sound familiar. Slowly she shook her head, sorry to possibly disappoint the girl.
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
The concept of mother nature was new to Ibis to some extent, as she couldn't recall if anyone had ever used such a term for the forces at work in the world. But she understood and nodded, her face becoming more grim. Unfortunately, it seemed that way. The shaking started just after summer and got quite bad until recently, so you are very lucky to have made it this far unscathed. Her intent was not to frighten the woman but it was hard not to let that edge of worry work upon her tone. I'm lucky too, I suppose... My father's family lives over at Lost Creek Hollow and aside from the continued famine, they seem to be doing alright. My mother's people did not fare so well, Ibis didn't want to launch in to an entire diatribe about her separated parents or the losses she'd endured, but it felt right to at least use her experience to inform the pale woman. My mother lived on a willow ridge - called Elysium - but the last I visited, the place was abandoned just like this one.

It was why the woman's struggle felt so raw to Ibis, so real. Why she could empathize so strongly. Losing one's home and family was a disastrous thing that Ibis would not wish on anyone, ever. It hurt too much to consider all the possibilities; she often had to remind herself to think positively. Seabreeze was out there somewhere, alive and well, with her beloved Olive. The weight of Ibis' loss played within her words, but she sighed, shook her head as if to rid herself of the plague of thoughts, and focused on brighter themes thereafter: The woman had said she didn't recognize Rosalie's name so maybe her pack had existed before, and made Ibis think aloud, You could try visiting Lost Creek Hollow, maybe someone living there has an idea of what happened to your family?

It was a stretch - but better than nothing.
539 Posts
Ooc — summer
Away
As Star listened to the girl, she began to feel more sympathetic to her situation, and more thankful that she had not yet encountered disaster, only its aftereffects. Especially as Ibis explained the conditions of each side of her family, Star's heart went out to her. "Oh. I'm sorry about your mother... my condolences." She offered, a bit awkwardly. She meant it genuinely but she still seemed unsure of exactly what to say. Star had never known her mother and if her cruel father died in disaster, she probably wouldn't feel a thing. She didn't necessarily understand what a person's love to their parents felt like- but she had loved and lost before, and so she still tried her best to be sensitive to how the girl felt. 

When Ibis said family in describing the dissapeared people of Swiftcurrent Creek, Star wondered if she herself considered them a family. Probably at one point in time she had. But that was long ago and she had lived in many a place since then. However, she did not comment on this- instead she spoke. "Lost Creek Hollow? I hadn't heard of it. What direction is it in?" She asked. She hadn't a particular reason to trust this girl, but if she had a chance of finding the people she had once known, she would chase it.
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
Ibis accepted the woman's words with a little nod, not having any words left to commiserate. It hurt her in a deep, profound way to think of the willows being empty. She still held out hope that Seabreeze and Olive had found a safe haven with the rest of her siblings; it was a naive thing to hope, she knew that. Ibis was still within the shallow end of youth and she was open to hope, even if it was thin and withering with each day.

On the topic of the Hollow she perked up somewhat.

It is due east from here. There's a large forest, and then after crossing through that, there's a river. If you cross the river you've gone too far. Ibis remembered finding that muddy place - and the red-furred stranger she had met there, Cadeau. The memory left a smile on her face. My father is an alpha there, his name is Terance. And his wife - my stepmother - is Treason. Maybe if you ask around among their ranks, you can find out what happened? I'm not sure how many people are left from your time, though. She had meant that innocently enough; but after saying what she did, Ibis felt suddenly terrible, as if she had been insulting.

Her tail flicked up, fluffed a bit, and she murmurs, I mean! I don't -- that wasn't a comment on your age, you're very -- um, I'm sure someone is left, somewhere. Ah, there she is, the bumbling little girl surfacing beyond the tumult of her maturation. Silly Ibis, fumbling over an apology.
539 Posts
Ooc — summer
Away
Star listened intently as she tried to commit the directions to her brain like a tattoo so that she could travel this direction in the upcoming days. The other thing she tried her best to memorize was the names of the pair- Terance and Treason. If, god forbid, there was a conflict by her nearing the borders, she figured it would be beneficial to be able to say she had come to see Terance.

Then, the younger girl said "I'm not sure how many people are left from your time, though." There was a time at which Star would've huffed with annoyance at the slightest comment that could've been interpreted as an insult to her. But she had grown up- now she let out a hearty chuckle as the girl frantically apologized. "Don't worry about it!" She laughed, attempting to ease the anxiety of the girl. "I really appreciate your help. I'll try my best to remember your directions. Hopefully my memory isn't too faulty yet." She joked of herself. "Could I get your name, helpful stranger?" Star inquired.
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
The woman took it all in stride, which she appreciated. The last thing Ibis ever wanted to do was alienate possible friends! Her laughter rang out among the ruins and Ibis couldn't help but laugh lightly in tandem, enjoying the sensation even if she was still sad and feeling weighted. At the very least she had helped this wayward woman; even if she sought out the Creek and couldn't find whoever she was looking for, maybe she would find safety and security there.

Prompted with an introduction the girl laughed again, this time a bit flustered. My name is Ibis. It was very nice to meet you, miss...? Here she left a gap for the older wolf to comment, and followed it up with, Even though this place is a mess, I'm sure it will flourish again one day. I do hope you find what you are looking for, though.
539 Posts
Ooc — summer
Away
want to wrap up here/soon? :o

Hearing Ibis laugh along with Star cheered her up as she felt the atmosphere between them become lighter. As the girl introduced herself as Ibis, Star let the interesting name float around in her head for a moment. She would memorize this girl's name too; it could help her get on better terms with the Lost Creek Hollow leader, her father.

When the girl asked for her name, she spoke up: "Star." As Ibis made kind comments about the ruined creek as well as Star's goals, the older woman smiled softly. "Thank you Ibis. I hope you can meet your goals well too." She replied. For a moment she felt as if she had taken up too much of the conversation, as Ibis had not shared yet about many of her prospects- but she decided it was probably fine as the younger girl did not seem to mind helping Star out.
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
I can wrap!

Having explored as much of the creek as she felt was necessary, it seemed a good time to depart for home. She made note of the woman's features, her scent, her name - in case she came across her again. A part of her was hopeful that Star would find what she sought and be happy for the rest of her days; another hoped, perhaps selfishly, that they would run in to one-another again simply for another engaging conversation. There were many things Ibis would have loved to learn from the pale woman. Many stories she wished she could hear of the days before she, personally, had been born.

Ibis smiled and dipped her head in a little farewell nod, and got up from where she had been sitting. There was still enough daylight left for her to navigate back home, thankfully. She'd have to start soon though. Good luck Star, she comments as she begins to side-step away, and soon enough the nymph has put some distance between them - back through the grove of trees and towards the wetland where her other new friends were waiting.