Witch's Marsh A Toad's Memory
120 Posts
Ooc —
it's been a month since indra's death ICly and i'm going to make an assumption that marten would now know about it. please kick me if anything should be changed! for @Ibis <3

the news of indra's death had abruptly flattened marten. though realistic to all degrees, a creature bound in logic even with his empathetic soul, had never really thought that indra would die. in fact, marten was convinced he would die before her, and that he would probably give his life to save hers. along with his mother, his purpose in life was suddenly pulled from beneath his feet. no longer did he care about laurel, who he thought to be cruel more often than not. nor did he care about valette, or arlette, or his half-siblings, or any of the millions of cousins he had. no one mattered. indra was the only light he'd dedicated his entire life to, and he had let her down. she had died because he hadn't been there to protect her. 

marten contemplated numerous courses of action, each one darker than the first. was there really a point living if she wasn't here with him? he doubted it. but all the same, marten knew indra would've been disappointed to see him throw away such a promising future. so, instead, after days of nothing, marten said one final prayer at the mother stone, and then left. 

through the valley he went, passing plenty of familiar places. no where worth stopping. he stopped only when a small toad crossed his path, sitting before him, croaking. marten stared quietly at the thing, remembering an easier time.
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
The snow had gotten a little bit more dense in the past few hours, which should have worried Ibis but she wasn't thinking about the danger of it. There was a perpetual fog at ground-level of the marsh which seemed to creep in from the south, lending a particularly eerie vibe to everything rather than lending to the mystical vision that Ibis' mind painted. Everything looked to be grayed out, dreary, bordering on miserable—but here she was, leaping like a gay little fawn from one patch of snow to the next, barely making any sound as she went. The subtle crunch of the thinly collected snow was all that heralded her approach.

A few wolf-lengths away was a particularly large mound of white; what drew her eye towards it was the decidedly dark lump which streaked from one of the ponds, leaving a trail of algae-rich brown sludge across the white. The frog settled in place after that, maybe confused by the sight of the early snow, maybe addled by the cold. Either way, it was food. The fat lump looked like a chunk of coal, or a little meteor of brown with the trailing pond scum behind it. Gross, but edible.

Knowing that their food stores were still very thin, Ibis couldn't let the opportunity pass her by. She redirected her leaping, striding along with her body low and slinking like a cat, almost. She poised behind her target and with a brief running start, lunged for the frog—but the frog seemed to sense her coming and with a little hiccup of a croak, veered away, leaving her to collide with the very solid iceberg that was Marten.
120 Posts
Ooc —
if marten had seen the other wolf at all, he might've stopped her from lunging at the toad -- but he hadn't noticed. in fact, he'd been so focused on the toad, lost in thought, that he didn't realize anyone else was with him until she collided right with him. there was a short tumble, one marten didn't particularly care for -- rolling in cold, wet snow and whatnot -- that ended with the pale girl atop him. not a hostile creature to any degree, marten merely shifted from beneath her, uttering a quick, nice to meet you, as if any joke felt appropriate in his head right now.
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
The wind was knocked right out of her. While she was a very light creature and typically able to bounce back (being so accustomed to such awkward shenanigans as this), this time things kept on rolling. The large shape moved as if to accommodate her own, and with a crunch the momentum ceased, leaving the nymph laying astride -- well, a person.

Ibis blinked wide-eyed as the frost settled around them, and the unfamiliar voice roused action from her. As soon as she heard the greeting she realized just what had happened, and backpedaled as best she could. Oh no I'm so sorry are you okay? I didn't -- I didn't see you there, you blend right -- in -- throughout the episode she was trying to climb off of him as painlessly as she could, but.. Who knows what parts she stepped on or kicked in the process.

Once extricated from the tangle of limbs, and the floating plush coat of the stranger, she tried to regulate her racing heart and nearly insurmountable mortification at the whole ordeal. Are you okay? I -- wait, I've seen you before. Blink, blink. The fox boy came to mind, and despite feeling like she's totally alienated this person with that awkward showcase of her finite hunting skills, she smiles to him.
120 Posts
Ooc —
marten couldn't help but smile at the softness of her gestures and kindness of her apologies. as she scrambled off of him, marten slowly rose and shook out his pale fur -- snow scattering around him. he shook his head. it's not a problem, he assured her quickly, sitting back down before her. his bi-colored eyes blink as she claims she recognizes him, ears pricking as he studies her curiously. marten would be lying if he said he remembered her -- in fact, marten barely cared to remember a soul that wasn't indra. he remembered immediate family based solely on proximity, and maybe some of the wolves at easthollow... but certainly not this girl.

i'm fine, he says, but pauses again to study her, gaze settling upon her delicate features. she's pretty, he tells himself, but that doesn't really tell her who she is. do you? he asks, giving her a wry smile as if to apologize, i'm not sure i recognize you -- m' names marten. well, an introduction never hurt anyone. and besides, maybe he had met her before.
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
You're friends with that foxy boy, right? She quips next, having forgotten Hono's name - or maybe she never earned it? Either way -- I thought I ran in to you once... Or twice. The girl frowns thoughtfully, remembering back to the swampy bog that had been such a struggle to cross, and the pale stranger she'd seen from afar. Maybe not the same, though. Who knows - there were so many wolves passing through the area these days, likely searching for the elusive "greener grass" among the season's aftermath.

No matter. She let that conversation die off pretty quick, shaking the rest of the tension from her body and then settling beside him, watching the snow falling until she remembered the frog. Oh, the frog! Did you -- did you see where it went? Hastily looking around from where she'd planted herself, Ibis looked very much like her namesake; however, the frog had disappeared. Hrmph. So much for a quick little snack. Oh shoot. she mumbles, huffing a bit.
120 Posts
Ooc —
the foxy... oh. immediately, marten's face heats up, leaving him to wonder if the snow beneath his paws was beginning to melt. o-oh, iris, right? he says, quickly shaking the embarrassing feelings he was feeling as he finally puts her face to a memory. that was pretty recently too, wasn't it? kind of worrying, but marten reminds himself that he's going through a trauma, and his memory probably isn't going to be functioning as well as it should be. he felt sort of bad, though, she clearly remembered him pretty well. sorry, i've had a... rough month, he says, trying to come up with an excuse, but he still feels bad. 

he shook his head as she began to search for the frog -- toad. it was a toad. he didn't bother correcting her, but he silently reminded himself of the difference. warty, indra had said. frogs were smooth. 

she mutters to herself, and marten's ears flick forward curiously at her choice in words. were you friends with him? marten asks the yearling, almost regretting the question as he asked it. it showed, too, his ears flicking back and his face turning into an embarrassed sort of smile. he quickly backtracked, shaking his head. sorry, you were definitely hunting it, weren't you. i used to be friends with a toad when i was a pup, he corrected. did he sound stupid? marten realized sort of abruptly that he was terrible at socializing with anyone that wasn't family.
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
She was somewhat distracted but she heard him say a name, not quite the right one, and shot him a surprised look. Something between, 'Oh good you remember!' and 'hold on a minute'. A single deviation wasn't enough to bother her; she swiftly corrects by enunciating her name: Ibis! And then she carries on with scouring the terrain, getting to her paws again and shuffling a perimeter around where Marten is sitting. The sludge line left by the frog has already coagulated and has begun to glitter with frost; but the actual target was long gone now, and there was no trace of where it went.

The boy went on to say something about friends; Ibis had already dismissed the thought of Hono from her mind and didn't catch on until Marten mentioned a toad — a toad as a friend? Her head raised from where she was sniffing at ice, the expression on her face was blank for a moment and then she was smirking, holding back a little laugh - mirth in her eyes. You had a toad friend?

Really she shouldn't have been laughing; if she had a toad friend and someone tried to eat it, or a reminder of it, she'd probably start crying about it pretty quickly. The boy seemed... Stunned. Cold. I mean that's... Not the weirdest thing you could befriend. At least it was alive -- I mean, she didn't want to bring up her own plaything from childhood, as it was the leftover skull of some premature child she had found buried beneath the Willows. Yeesh.

Deciding to give up her hunt for the wayward amphibian, she settled back down and sat next to Marten, the smile faltering from her face for a moment. He was alone, she thought, and for some reason the thought nagged at her. Are you... Are you okay? You seem... I dunno. Sad, she could've said, but she didn't want to presume anything or pester him at all (beyond what she'd already done).
120 Posts
Ooc —
when she turned back to him, marten stifles his own chuckle. his lips turn up in a smile and his ears flick. his name was rupert -- don't laugh at me! i was a kid, he says, all in good nature, giving her a friendly side-eye. she didn't seem bothered by it, and he could see the humor in it. he wondered why she mention alive, but he didn't pry. maybe it was just a test, like, it was alive, wasn't it? he nods. rupert was alive, yes, i kept him in a little hole and fed him little worms.

the question asked, are you okay would probably bring out a full meltdown in most wolves, but not in marten. his expression dulled, for sure, but he gives her a sad sort of smile. my mom died, he tells her simply, though he elaborates, she was the only thing in my life. and now i don't know what i have. 

then, the yearling shrugs. not to throw that on you, but you asked, he says a with a flick of his ears, trying to bring up the mood a little.
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
Rupert! It was a good name. Perfect for a toad, she thought. The image of a pale little boy befriending a toad (and even caring for it so tediously) was beyond cute, and she started to smile - until Marten explained why he looked so empty, and her face lost its glee. Pairing up the terrible news that he'd lost someone so dear and the story of his toad friend made him seem... Sadder, somehow. Ibis frowned and looked down at the dirty snow where she'd been prowling before, watching as the falling flakes filled the petite prints she had left scattered around them.

She didn't know what to say, really, so she let a moment of silence pass, thinking of what she could do - as if there were anything. The best she could do was offer a friendly little nudge of her shoulder against his, being perhaps a little too forward in that moment, but she knew when Lily had died the presence of Okeanos had made her feel better, and hoped to offer something similar to this boy.

I'm sorry. She finally says. I've lost people too. I.. I get it. But she didn't fully comprehend the loss of someone so monumental; Lily had been close to her, but merely a babysitter, more like a big sister. Losing Okeanos most recently (though he was missing and presumed alive somewhere) was hard too, and the thought of her brother dead somewhere curtailed further conversation.

Little did she know of the true losses that were obscured to her. For now Ibis was blissfully ignorant of her own troubles, focused as she was upon Marten. I.. I wish I could do something to help. Is there anything..?
120 Posts
Ooc —
marten gives her a gentle smile. don't be, i'm... i'm okay, he answers. he's not sure if he's lying or not. he's certainly not great, but he knows that indra wants him to keep going -- she must, anyway -- and so he's holding himself together just fine. he's cried and grieved all he could within the month, and now he needs to move on. not emotionally, not right away, but physically -- marten needed to move on. eventually this hole would heal, he knew, but there was no point in prolonging it just by moping.

he wants to ask who she'd lost, but he didn't, knowing it would be useless to bring up wounds any further. he shakes his head. no, i don't think so, he says with a small shrug, but pauses, kind of uncertainly. where... where do you live? he asks, ears flicking, i was trying to find a fresh start but... i don't think i could leave this valley, i've lived here my whole life. not that that was too long.
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
All she ever wanted to do was help those in need. It was a habit born in to her via Seabreeze and trained too, conditioned, by Olive and the others of Elysium. It felt right to do good; and this boy, this sweet, lonely, giant of a boy, he needed someone to lend an ear or some food - and Ibis merely waited to hear what he needed. Whatever it was, she would try to fulfill his wish. Nobody should be alone at a time of such great loss, she thought.

And then he spoke, doing the usual verbal side-stepping of those in great pain. Ibis wouldn't stop him; they did not know one-another very well and so there were certain limits to what was proper, and she wouldn't impose. When Marten asked about her home she smiled softly.

I live here, actually. The marsh around you has become my home. There are others here too. The marsh was a sprawling mess of mud, but it was her personal paradise, and had become a tiny haven for some. Its a little cold, and wet, and... Well, miserable some nights, but... It is home. She breathed deeply of the heavy vegetal scent inherent to the marsh - and then wheezed softly as the taste overwhelmed her senses. This dissolved in to a light scoff. If you don't mind being a little damp, you could stay here with us..?
120 Posts
Ooc —
marten looked around quietly, noting that the marsh did seem all of the things she mentioned. she seemed enthralled by it all the same, though marten didn't quite understand why. he wondered what happened here to make her love it so -- if you asked him, it seemed like a breeding ground of pneumonia. 

but still, he didn't tell her that. 

i would like to stay, he told her with a small smile, i'm learning medicine and herbs. best he could without a teacher, he had experimented his way to where he was... which wasn't too impressive, truth be told.
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
Their numbers were growing by the day, or so it felt. Adding another mouth to feed would put a little more strain on their resources - not that she would speak of this, or ever refuse anyone a safe haven - but to hear that he knew how to employ the herbs of the marsh was uplifting. They had hunters, warriors, and scouts a-plenty; Ibis found herself immediately invested in the wellness of this pale boy, covetous of his skills above all else, which was selfish of her. If he needed a home she could provide — and getting someone with such skills would be a bonus.

Consider it your home too, then. She remarks with a wider smile. I will say.. Even though I'm quite attached to the marsh, if it proves to be unsuitable for winter we will find somewhere better. I... I hope you're happy here with us. She was rambling a little bit, feeling quite unsuited to this position she'd found herself in. But, if it gave him peace, that's what mattered.
120 Posts
Ooc —
marten returned to her comment with another soft smile and a flick of a pale ear. i'll consider it home, he says, tail waving gently as he motions for her to lead him... somewhere. into the territory, or maybe to part, either way. marten didn't mind the company, he'd been rather lonely lately. we'll see as winter comes, he adds, not commenting on his happiness, do you have anywhere else in mind -- if it doesn't work out? he thinks that that's a good idea.

he wants to tell her that he's very good at offering guidance, if she wants it... but is that a strange thing to offer to a stranger? well, almost perfect stranger. he feels like it is. and besides, it's not like they're that far apart in age -- what does he really know that she doesn't? no matter how worldly indra always said he was, marten figures it isn't relevant anymore.
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
She was glad to have helped him, and deep down she hoped that things worked out for both of them. Maybe he could build a new family out of the collection of strangers she'd built? Maybe it wouldn't suit him in the long run, but at least for the winter he would be safe, warm, and fed. All that Ibis ever wanted was to help others—and she felt a certain kinship with this boy and the hardships he'd recently faced.

Do you have anywhere else in mind -- if it doesn't work out? He asks, which piques Ibis' interest. She hadn't yet considered how ill-suited the marsh was to so many wolves... But this would give her mind a momentary pause, and her head shook softly. Not yet. That is a good idea, though. Maybe... I could show you to the marsh, and on the way we could talk about it? If he was up for that; maybe he'd opt for some alone time and follow her after. But something did pop in to her mind: There is a forest due-west of the marsh, and we could take shelter there if the snows become too hard. Or... Maybe it would be worth it to settle there right off the bat...

Her tone was thoughtful, her eyes briefly distant as she peers off in to the snow drifts, contemplative of many things.
120 Posts
Ooc —
marten nods as she suggests that they talk as she show him around -- he really doesn't mind the company and could use a little bit of a tour. he could figure it out himself, sure, but thats not the point. 

as she begins to answer his question, marten's ears flick curiously to the answer. he feels a bit distant from the conversation -- for a number of reasons -- but he sees value in listening to any wolf who chooses to open up to him. some wolves have a lot more going on underneath than they portray on the surface -- where's the harm in letting them sort things out out loud? he nods again. 

that is a difficult decision to make, he tells the female gently, continuing with a small shrug, if you love the marsh, we should stay. but... if weather proves to make this territory difficult, there's no harm in moving -- maybe in the spring we can move back. 

he adds, because it was such a big deal at easthollow, if you want to have children, somewhere with less water might be safer for them too. he'd decided they were about the same age, and though marten had no desire to have kids, he knew indra had told him once or twice about the changing of seasons. ibis seemed... more motherly, than he did.
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
He made good points about the land, and what they could do with it. Maybe the marsh was her beloved space right now; that didn't mean she would really ever lose it, it existed there before her and would continue to exist after. They could move wherever they wanted as they needed, which would be the best route to go with. She nods as she listens, and then freezes.

If you want to have children— What. What. W h a t.

As Marten went on about that, Ibis' pace didn't change and she tried to keep her face passive, but there was no mistaking the raising of her brows or the utter shock on her face; she'd never thought about being a mom, or about the seasons progressing to that point, and truthfully hadn't been taught much about all that stuff even though her mothers were so... well, motherly and trained as caretakers.

I... Well, maybe, she felt her face get very warm, like she was standing under a heat lamp, and it was very uncomfortable. One day. I never... That's not why I wanted to form a pack. Um. But I'll keep that in mind -- if we get younger recruits.
120 Posts
Ooc —
a small smile presses to his maw. i didn't mean to insinuate that, he says apologetically, and then adds, it's just something to think about. my old packs were always concerned about what would happen if pups came into the ranks -- what territory would best suit raising children. he adds a small shrug, as if the thought was just that simple to them. marten had never really thought about children himself... after all, the dynamics of that didn't fit his person. and marten was bred to look out after others, so it was a thought he felt presently important.

sorry to bring it up, he reiterates, shooting her another apologetic smile.
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
Her bashful answer is met with stoicism, of a sort anyway. He's apologetic and she shakes her head, dismissive of all of that. No, you're right -- I mean, its a good idea to think about all that. I haven't fully considered the future in that way, but maybe others have.

Little did she know that the pack would one day be home to actual children, not just Ibis who often felt like a child in a nearly-adult body; in the coming days much would change and so would she, presumably. His smile makes her mentally pause and Ibis returns the sentiment, the corners of her mouth twitching.

I can only hope that... Well, wherever we end up, everyone is happy and healthy. That's all that mattered to her right now. Happiness, good health, maybe a warm meal where possible — but some of those things felt like long-shots. The world was a mess and winter was finally making itself known, which made everything so much more dire.