Noctisardor Bypass Come on, let's savor what we're falling for
159 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Private 
back dated to a day or two after this thread, so like 4/25
@Arbiter

He hadn't been home long before going to look for Arbiter. He wanted to tell her about the wolf he had met in the meadow and about the new pack that was there. He wasn't sure if she was aware of them yet, and he thought it might be a good chance for an alliance. He could even be the go between for the two the packs since he knew someone over there already and like to explore. Plus, he still wanted to go visit Ursus and see what it was like to live with bears. He was eager to prove himself and make Arbiter proud; this seemed like the perfect opportunity to do both. 

He thought maybe the borders would be a good place to find her and he thought he ought to patrol today anyway, so he wandered slowly along the edge of the bypass searching for a fresh scent trail.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
Arbiter hadn't been too concerned that someone would manage to stumble across Merrick and his ilk any time soon. The fact they'd even wandered this far had seemed rather ridiculous to her (especially them saying she should stay up here, excuse me?) just based on distance alone. Besides, she doubted any of the youngsters would end up in trouble -- they were meek things.

But yes, she was out for a patrol, as usual. She needed the movement. Arbiter could tell this time around that things were changing. At least she'd organized things... Sort of. Maybe in the end her choice wouldn't be ideal but she'd see how things would go. But most of her attention was focused on the outside world. She needed to make sure it was all secure, likely not looking to Pheiros' approach initially, though an ear turning would show she'd hear him.
Arbiter is often not a nice person and will think mean things without acting on them.
If you aren't sure whether her snarky thoughts might be readable, just ask!  IC≠OOC
159 Posts
Ooc — Hela
It didn't take him long to find her and as her form appeared in the distance ahead of him, his walk turned into a trot and then a gallop. Only, he overestimated how long it would take him to reach the Legion leader and he had to abruptly stop mid-run, which meant he kind of awkwardly slid forward and tripped over his own legs a bit. Having done plenty of clumsy things in the past, he was just as good at recovering, and he stood and matched her stride with a shake of his golden fur and a sheepish look in her direction. Hey, Arbiter, he greeted, hoping she wouldn't comment on his less than graceful entrance. Could I talk to you about something? he asked. He wanted to get this out right away or he might overthink everything and convince himself that it all sounded stupid.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
Pheiros still seemed to move a bit like an ungainly fawn, but he wasn't the only one in the pack who still sometimes had issues keeping all feet beneath him -- maybe more practice hunting would eventually train their legs to operate the way they should. She made a mental note to make a point to force the yearlings into a hunt or two that she could observe.

Still, she looked towards him, a slight tip of her head, What's on your mind? She honestly didn't have a clue what he'd say. There hadn't been that much exciting stuff around here recently at least. That part was probably a positive.
Arbiter is often not a nice person and will think mean things without acting on them.
If you aren't sure whether her snarky thoughts might be readable, just ask!  IC≠OOC
159 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Much to his relief, Arbiter didn't make a comment on his less than graceful entrance; he always hated when his short-comings were pointed out because they were already on replay in his mind every day. He didn't really need others to comment on them unless they had something constructive to offer to help him be better. Pheiros was always looking for ways to better. 

On that note, and with Arbiter's full attention, he got right to the point. I met a man in the valley near where we used to live, the golden boy started. He leads a new pack over there, and I wasn't sure if you were aware of it. His gaze lifted only briefly to study her expression before it fell to the ground in front of them. He seemed really nice; he even invited me to come see his territory. I was thinking maybe we could have an alliance with them. This had a small smile forming on Pheiros' face. He still couldn't get over that they lived with bears. His name was Merrick; he said he knew you—that you used to be his leader. He looked to Arbiter then, his expression curious; he wanted to know what she would say. His hope was that she would be proud of his initiative.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
Pheiros had certainly proven to be a good wolf to keep around. Young, but he was loyal, and that was something that she highly respected. He tried, he learned. What else could be wanted from the young? 

Her look was... Odd. Well, not initially. Initially it was pretty normal. At least until Merrick's name was mentioned, then it twisted into some cousin of suspicion. I know him, and I don't know what he's up to but I certainly wouldn't call him one to trust, let alone nice. He showed up here himself a little while back, full of threats and ego. He made it clear he's certainly not an ally -- but what he actually wants, I don't know. I told Spook and Brou to avoid them -- but I think you were gone at the time. She was very skeptical about the whole thing, Was he really acting nice? The last word was said with not quite distaste but close. To her, Merrick had proven to be noting but a poisonous person.
159 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Well this had suddenly become confusing and uncomfortable. Her description of Merrick was completely different than the man he had met in the meadow; it was like they were talking about two different wolves. He had really liked Merrick and had been very much hoping that Arbiter would think he did something good, but it seemed he had been fooled. As much as he wanted to doubt what she was saying, he trusted her and knew she had no reason to lie. 

His face twisted with confusion and concern as he thought about her question. I mean, he seemed nice, Pheiros answered first. But—maybe it was all a lie? It was half a statement and half a question for Arbiter. She seemed to know him better, and no matter how much he wished for the opposite, he knew that whatever she said must be the truth. He felt like an idiot. Hurt burned in his chest at the thought of being so blatantly lied to.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
She sort of wished she'd had a chance to tell him about them earlier. Perhaps that was how Merrick had managed to gain a pack -- he had learned how to talk well. She felt a little bad that Pheiros had needed to learn that the odd man was a liar, but on the other hand, best to survive with damaged honor rather than losing his life. Certainly a better ending in this case. But then, which part is the lie? No matter what is truth, his words aren't worth anything. I don't know where it was things went wrong for him. He had seemed normal enough as a youth, but he left without a word when he was old enough. A slight shrug then, Perhaps it was due to something after then. He had never acted like something was wrong when he'd been in the Hollow. So how were they supposed to have changed anything? I'd rather trust him to be dangerous and hope something else keeps him occupied, it's safer that way. A slight shrug, But if you have another suggestion, I'm open to it. But what was there really to do? He'd made threats and he was far away. As it were, their pack was still small enough that Arbiter had zero desire to risk any of her members. If they'd had a sizable contingent of proven warriors, then she might not care. If they were all hot air, then it really would be a waste.
159 Posts
Ooc — Hela
He didn't know which part was the lie. All of it? He had only met the man once, and it seemed like Pheiros had played right into his paw. He was so willing to believe that everyone had good intentions; how could tell who to trust and who not to trust? He didn't think he had the confidence to distrust anyone he didn't know even if that did seem like the best resolution. 

Her question brought him from his overwhelming thoughts, but only so that he could delve into more. Um, I don't think so, he answered quietly. I think you probably know best in this situation since you know him better than I do, he added, eyes glued to ground in front of them. Let's face it: she knew better in all situations, he was pretty sure. 

Then the question that had been rolling around in his small brain finally spilled from his lips, his words uncertain as he momentarily glanced up to Arbiter. How do I know which strangers I can trust and which ones I can't? Maybe there was something he was missing.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
Arbiter wasn't one who felt bad for anyone really. Stuff like this was a learning experience. It wasn't something to shame, it was just learning, just life. Not everyone was honest, not everyone would be kind. So it goes. Learning to spot those not meeting social norms was more of the skill. Most wolves in the Teekons are relatively honest from what I've seen. Merrick is the exception rather than the rule. I don't know how he approached you or how he might have acted that might provide a clue. To me, he seemed unstable with a tenuous grasp on actual events. 

She gave it some thought. Without that background information on every stranger, it was obviously harder to tell who was actually worth believing, Generally, asking more questions will reveal holes in stories -- truth and reason are easy, lies and uncertainty take more effort. How much did you ask about his pack? Did anything strike you as a little odd? Did that count as critical thinking? Possibly? But it would be a good starting point for how he should approach things, Arbiter figured.