this is my book
and i know how to work the spells and charms in it
i know them all
1,610 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Warrior
Master Missionary
All Welcome 
he was meticulously pissing over every inch of the meadow his bladder could splash, pausing from moment to moment to glare angrily in the direction of where he had last seen treason. merrick then would put a barrier between whatever she was doing and ursus, and if she crossed, he would throw her head on his rook's altar.
the thought made him feel better, and he hummed tunelessly as he went on, hiking his leg over grass and shrub alike.
159 Posts
Ooc — Hela
He didn't usually wander this far from home. No matter how far he made it past his first year of life, he still felt like a child in many ways. He had no real skills and protecting himself was out of the question, hence not usually wandering very far. But the weather hadn't been too cold today, and Pheiros was hit with the rare need to explore. He was restless, and the only way he could ease the feeling was to wander. 

It had been a long time since he had been in this meadow, and he instantly regretted coming here. All it did was remind of of dad, but then most things seemed to do that lately. He continued to move through the grass anyway, wrinkling his nose at the overpowering stench of urine. It was like someone was marking but like way more than they needed to. Curious, he followed the scent until he saw the dark man in the distance. He continued to move closer, stopping eventually so that he could greet the handsome stranger with a soft: Hey, The last wolf he had met while exploring near home had been really nice, so maybe this one would be like that too.
this is my book
i know them all
1,610 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Warrior
Master Missionary
merrick's head lifted sharply; ragged ears thrust toward the stranger with hate flaring chillingly in his single eye.
in a devil's breath it was gone, replaced by curiosity. not near enough to glean the other's scent yet over the reek of his own piss, merrick grinned. "i have someone like you over here too," he called in reference to the stranger's canine ears. 
@Fraser lingered in his mind, and he focused more clearly on his audience.
"you alone?"
159 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Pheiros missed the flare of hate in the stranger's eye, which was probably good because he was already kind of nervous when meeting new wolves. His response was weird, and Pheiros looked around curiously before looking back to the dark man. Like me? he asked. What did he even mean by that? And the way he had phrased it made Pheiros think that someone was with him, but his inspection of the area only provided him with the stranger he was talking to. 

He asked if Pheiros was alone, and he nodded. Yeah. I live not very far from here. Strange place to start a conversation, but he was friendly and laid back enough that he just went with it.
this is my book
i know them all
1,610 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Warrior
Master Missionary
it didn't seem like the blondie really understood, and so merrick sighed, taking a swinging step outside the range of his markings. perhaps too immediately did the fragrance laced through the other's coat finally reach him. he licked his lips slowly, single eye hard despite the warmth of their meeting.
and then the young coywolf relaxed, straightened. "same. i live just over the meadow here," he chirped softly, gesturing toward the stone walls of home. "i'm merrick."
159 Posts
Ooc — Hela
The stranger didn't answer his question, and the knot of insecurity tightened in his stomach. Was it a dumb question? Maybe he shouldn't have asked it?

Thankfully, he didn't have much time to break the small interaction down and overthink all the details because the stranger sighed and turned to him. He seemed more relaxed then, and that was when Pheiros noticed his missing eye; he would be careful not to let his gaze linger there. The greeting seemed friendly enough that the golden boy relaxed some himself, enough to let his tail wag where it lay neutrally against his hock. I'm Pheiros, he offered in return. Then he turned to look where Merrick had motioned. You don't smell like Easthollow, he pointed out, his tone amiable and curious. That was the only pack he knew of over there. We used to be their neighbors. He looked back to Merrick, a shy smile curving his lips. Your pack is over there too? he asked. He smelled of many others, so he assumed that was the case. He would be sure to let Arbiter know they shared the valley with another pack.
this is my book
i know them all
1,610 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Warrior
Master Missionary
merrick smiled back, seeking to soften the battlehard planes of his face. "it is. it's called ursus. we're between you and easthollow."
single eye surveyed the boy for any hint of suspicion. "so you know arbiter then?" merrick suggested lightly, pretending to sniff the ground in search of scent.
all the while hiding the malevolent quirk of his jawline.
159 Posts
Ooc — Hela
He had never heard the pack name before, but he committed it to memory just to have more information to report back. Maybe they could be allies in the future.

His tail lifted some and wagged at the mention of Arbiter. Yeah. I've been with the pack since before we moved, he offered. My mom ditched us when I was little and my dad died soon after, so she's been kind of my family since. He was unsure if she felt the same way about him, but she at least always made sure he knew he had a home wherever they were. How do you know her? He asked, another smile lifting the corners of his mouth.
this is my book
i know them all
1,610 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Warrior
Master Missionary
"she used to be my leader," merrick chuffed, happy to get to the meat of it, but understanding that such must be accomplished on far gentler ground than this. you could choose better family, snapped his cruel mind, but if anyone knew the waiting game, it was he.
"what do you call yourselves? bet it's cooler than ursus," he laughed self-deprecatingly, approaching the stranger with a friendly wave of his plume and a pause a polite distance away.
159 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Pheiros's face lit up then. Oh, so then you know her like I do, he said first, relaxing further. It was interesting that he had run into someone that knew Arbiter but not surprising. She had been here for a while, so he was bound to run into wolves that knew her the more he started exploring outside the borders of pack lands. 

I don't know about cooler, he said first. We're called Legion He stepped even closer when Merrick paused his own steps. What does Ursus mean? he asked, stopping after a few more steps. His own tail wagged again as he waited for an answer.
this is my book
i know them all
1,610 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Warrior
Master Missionary
pheiros was naive. merrick enjoyed that, for it gave their conversation an innocent quality that was entirely one-sided. "come walk with me," he invited, beginning a slow perimeter of the meadow. it would keep the boy's packlands in sight and put a barrier between they and ursus: for now.
"legion is a neat name," merrick purred, though this creature was anything but demonic. "ursus means bear. they live with us in my valley."
it was always a draw.
would that be so now?
159 Posts
Ooc — Hela
He eagerly accepted the invitation, trotting forward and slowing when he reached Merrick's side. Pheiros followed alongside him, smiling at the compliment offered about the name of his pack. Thanks, he said, smile growing a little. 

His eyes widened at the mention of bears. Wow, you share your home with bears? He looked to Merrick, his expression incredulous. Then hesitantly, he added: But...aren't you afraid they'll attack you? He had never seen one personally, but if he did, he was pretty sure he'd run really fast in the opposite direction.
this is my book
i know them all
1,610 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Warrior
Master Missionary
"we treat them with respect," merrick said softly. "when they feel respected, they don't attack." he supposed it could still happen, but decided not to mention that. why scare this boy away from the concept of ursus? "bears like their space, and they like food. we have lots of both," the coywolf went on, tongue lolling. "maybe if you settle close, you'll be able to see one."
159 Posts
Ooc — Hela
He had no real life experience with bears, so it was easy for him to latch on to what Merrick was saying. If they lived with bears, then he must know what he's talking about. Respect, food, and space: it all made pretty good sense, at least with the way his new friend was explaining it. Oh, okay, Pheiros replied softly. He still thought it was pretty brave to live with bears even if he did now know the formula for living with them peacefully. 

His tail wagged at the mention of seeing a bear for himself one day. Maybe I could visit sometime? he suggested, ears falling a little from nerves and insecurity. He wondered after he spoke if it was maybe a lot to ask from someone he just met, but he had gotten excited at the prospect of seeing something he had always considered dangerous in setting where they wouldn't hurt him. His gaze shifted down, away from Merrick as he waited to see how he would respond.
this is my book
i know them all
1,610 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Warrior
Master Missionary
"yeah," merrick grinned at the friendly boy. arbiter should have warned her wolves better, if this kid in her family could not even see the direct danger of ursus. and wanted to visit. "that would be nice." a swish of his tail. "i should probably head back," the bearwolf murmured.
"we're the valley over there," he indicated, "shaped like a paw. drop by."
his eye glittered.
"make sure you tell whoever gets there that i sent you, if i don't get to you first."
159 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Okay! He offered with a friendly smile, tail wagging even more behind them. He was pretty excited to see what living with bears looked like. I'll visit soon, the golden boy promised. He would need to return home first so he wouldn't be gone too long. Plus, he wanted ask Arbiter about his new friend. 

Bye, Merrick, he offered. See you later. With another smile, he turned and trotted away towards the bypass, happy to have met another friend while out exploring.
this is my book
i know them all
1,610 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Warrior
Master Missionary
a nod. merrick openly stared after the starry-eyed youth as he departed back back back to wherever that creeping traitor was housing her lair, and then laughed lowly to himself, splasing pailfuls of urine along the edge of his hunting grounds.
come back, indeed.