Hoshor Plains You're looking rough
I like when life feels playful
76 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Private 
@Speedy

Lokie had tried to put as much distance between him and the Caldera. He moved slowly, his body ached in ways it never had before, and his face still expelled droplets of blood . It had slowed, but it had not stopped. His front paws hurt to walk, but all he needed was one more step. And another. And another. 

The sun beat down on his battered body, worsening the situation. He came to a slow stop, his body finally refusing another step. He was overheated, bruised and bloodied, dehydrated, and he had lost quite a bit of blood from his face. He laid down slowly, losing consciousness quickly once his head hit the ground.
Your soul is infinitely creative. It is alive and expansive in nature.
It is curious and playful, changing with the tides of time.

Debbie Ford
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
The summer had been warm and fruitful in the way of herbs and other useful plants, which meant that it was fairly easy to replenish her stores once she was able to return to her work. The children were old enough now that she could be gone for an hour or so to take care of things, but she tried not to be gone any longer than that. 

Today was different, though. Her daughter was sick and needed something she hadn't been able to find near the river. So she had set off for the plains where they lived for a short time after the quakes, hoping the fields would have what she was looking for. The kids were in her mate's capable paws, so she tried no to worry about them too much. The morning had brought an unrelenting drizzle, but now the sun peaked through the clouds to warm everything back up; she wondered for how long, though. 

Speedy slowly moved through the grass, inspecting the plants very slowly to find the particular scent of lavender; it was easy to pick out of all the other scents as long as it was around, but so far, she hadn't been lucky. She paused immediately as the familiar and alarming scent of blood filled her nose. Lifting her head abruptly, she looked around to find the source. She knew it was from another wolf and not prey, and as dangerous as it might be to seek out an injured stranger, she couldn't bear the thought of ignoring someone that might need her help. 

She tracked the scent to a mound of injured wolf and slowed her steps as she approached. He looked in bad shape, but she didn't immediately rush forward. Sir? she said hesitantly. I'm a medic; can I come closer and look you over? She waited for an answer, but none came. Fear squeezed her chest for a brief moment as she considered the possibility that he might be dead. The faint rising of his chest told her differently, though, and she released a huff of breath in relief—a short-lived relief; he still needed help, that much was obvious. She moved to him then, and gently nosed over him. There was a large, deep wound on his face that needed cleaning before she could assess it further. She also found a bunch of small gashes on his front paws and various other abrasions on his body, but none of that really accounted for his mentation. She wondered if there was more going on inside that she wouldn't be able to address while he was unconscious. So, she decided she would start with the injuries she could see; she knew the territory well, and could easily find what she needed. 

With a worried look over the injured man, she hurried away to get supplies. She knew a small bend in the river reached the edge of the plains, and she made her way there; her hope was that she would find everything she needed in one place and wouldn't have to spend too much time searching. When she reached the water, moss was easy enough to find; she pulled a few chunks from a few different rocks and held each one in the water until it was completely saturated. She laid them on the bank in the shallow end of the water when she was done so that they wouldn't dry out while she searched for the plant that she needed. It took her some time searching the grassy edge of the plains that hugged the bank of the river, but she finally found the golden flowers. She plucked a few of them from the ground with her teeth and then made her way back to the moss. This was always the hard part when she was working alone: trying to carry everything. She needed to make one trip, so she placed the moss and the plants in a pile and scooped them up between her jaws. It was a little difficult to hold it all, but she managed. 

When she arrived back to him, she set her mouthful down near his head and looked him over again. She wouldn't be able to do anything for his pain here, but she could at least tend to the awful-looking wound on his face. Unless he woke to stop her, the healer would pick up the first water-soaked moss between her teeth and start gently squeezing the water out over his wound to flush it out.
76 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
He was unaware of the female's presence, or her intention. He didn't know she came, left, or returned. But the moment the water droplets touched the exposed tender flesh of his cheek, the pain caused him to awaken abruptly. He screamed in pain and shot up off the ground. His foreleg lifted to rub against the painful spot, which only caused it to hurt worse. he retreated several yards, fearful this female was trying to attack him. 

His tail tucked between his back legs, and his ears flattened on top of his head, showing submissiveness, but moving slowly away at the same time. He kept her within his vision, in case she lunged towards him. He couldn't move very quickly, but the will to live had returned to him, and he would fight her if she tried.

Debbie Ford
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
The second the water dripped into his wound, the stranger cried out in pain and bolted up from the ground, sending the healer back a few steps in surprise and horror. She watched him move away in fear, his body language submissive yet defensive. The whole thing hurt her heart. The last thing she had wanted to do was cause him anymore pain. 

Staying where she was, she watched him with cautious concern. I'm so sorry, she said softly. I was just trying to clean your wound. His injuries still needed much attention, but she wouldn't be able to help him at all if he didn't trust her. I'm not going to hurt you, she added. I just want to clean your wounds and apply something to keep them from getting infected, she explained calmly. Are you thirsty? There was enough for him to have a drink until she could lead him to the river.
76 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
She didn't move towards him, and Lokie was relieved. If this was the same wolf that just attacked him at the Caldera, he didn't think they'd waste time by lingering back. They certainly hadn't the first time around. His ears perked a little when she began to speak, and he paused in his motions to escape. 

He took her words into consideration. Lokie could care for his paws well enough, but the wound on his face was nothing like he had ever had before and it wasn't in a place he could keep clean very well. His eyes searched her expression, and he didn't find dishonesty there. He wouldn't be lucky enough for another healer to stumble upon him, he was sure. 

After a few moments, he moved forward towards her. When he was close enough, he sat back on his haunches with his head lowered below hers to give her access to his maw. The first time the water landed on his wound, it had stung, and he didn't expect anything different this time. But, he would sit through it.

Debbie Ford
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
He seemed to calm enough to consider her words and not seem like he would flee at any moment, which was good; maybe he'd let her tend to his wounds after all. She'd hate for him to be all alone out here with a festering wound and no one to take care of it. 

She remained completely still as he finally came back over to her, offering him only a warm smile. When he lowered his head so that she could finish what she started, the healer moved to reach for the moss again. I'm sorry, this is going to be uncomfortable, she warned him before she picked the plant up with her teeth. She was sure he already knew that, but she couldn't help but prepare him out of habit. As gently as she could manage, she slowly tightened her jaw over the moss and let the water drip over his injury. If he made any sounds or showed his discomfort in any way, she would offer him an apologetic look. She repeated the process once more with another piece of moss and then paused to look over the wound. It's deep, she said after a few moments. But it should heal okay as long as it doesn't get infected. She picked up the golden flowers and set them down at her feet. I'm going to apply these to keep that from happening, Speedy explained before picking a few petals off with her teeth and chewing them up. She applied the chewed substance to the wound and repeated the process until the entire thing was covered. Okay, that should do it. But this will need to be cleaned and the petals re-applied at least once a day, she told him. The wounds on your paws need cleaning too, she pointed out, ready to start there if he would let her. Do you have any other injuries? she asked. She would be better equipped to monitor his healing process and manage his pain if he stayed with her pack for a bit, but she waited a few moments to let him answer her first question before offering it.
76 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
He winced as the droplets touched the sensitive skin, but he didn't pull away. It would be a necessary evil so that he could heal. He appreciate her empathetic looks, even if it didn't help. At least he knew she wasn't trying to hurt him on purpose. He was also grateful that she told him what her next move was before she did it. It helped him to prepare for the pain it would cause. 

He looked confused when she said they would need to be reapplied. I-I don't know anything about this stuff, he admitted softly. Plus, how was he supposed to apply it to his own face? When she mentioned his paws, he went slowly down to his stomach with his front legs stretched out before him to give her better access. He honestly thought he could take care of his paws on his own, but he wasn't certain he could keep the infection away, so he stayed quiet. 

When asked of any other injuries, he spoke up. My side hurts. I fell from cliffs into the water, and I think I might have hit a rock on the bottom. I passed out when I hit the water, so I'm not really sure, he explained. It was very possible that his ribs were bruised, but that wasn't something he knew about. He just knew it hurt.

Debbie Ford
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
The fact that he not only had no knowledge of healing but also wouldn't be able to take care of his own injuries only solidified her feeling that he should come home with her and let her take care of him for a while until he was back to normal. When he shifted to the ground to allow her access to his paws, she picked up the moss once more between her jaws and cleaned each little wound with the same care she had shown to the much more serious injury on his face. When she was done, she sat back up and looked him over. These should be okay as long as they're kept clean, she told him. They would need watching over, though, to make sure they didn't develop any signs of infection. 

She winced when he told her that he had fallen from a cliff and that his side hurt. That could mean various things, none of which would be healed quickly. You need rest and pain control, she told him softly. And someone to keep an eye on your wounds and keep them cleaned and treated. She searched his face worriedly. I'd feel more comfortable if you came to stay with my pack and let me make sure you heal properly, Speedy continued. My pack is called Kaistleoki; we're not very far from here. I'm Speedy, their physician, and I don't think they would object to you staying with us until you're feeling better. She was pretty sure Ira would be okay with it. She wasn't sure how stubborn the stranger would be, and he had definitely been through something awful, so she didn't know if he would accept her invitation.
76 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
He watched as she tended to him and made sure to clean each and every wound. She was nothing if not thorough. Thankfully, the wounds on his paws hurt far, far less than his face and side did. These kind of punctures were what he was used to and he found he wasn't so anxious about her cleaning them. He nodded to her instructions to keep them clean. That would be easy enough for him to do. 

She began instructing just what he would need, and his eyes widened in a slight panic. He had no one. He was a lone wolf, he had no family here. He knew Connor, of course, but he had no idea where his friend was. In the length of time it could take to find him, Lokie could be dying in the crevice of some mountain. 

His eyes widened further when she suggested he come stay with her pack. He had just been attacked by some mad wolf, and now he, a stranger, was supposed to go stay with a whole pack that didn't know him from anyone else? He couldn't remember of having heard of that pack name before. She seemed to think it was a fine suggestion, but he had his doubts. Some strange wolf, encroaching on their territory, taking time away from their medic, their meals? He could not see any way that it would be okay. 

But, he didn't have anyone else. He fought internally with himself before he open his maw gingerly. If your leadership approves, then I will stay with you. It was the only stipulation he had, but it was non-negotiable. If her Alpha's said no, he would high-tail it outta there!

Debbie Ford
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
She could tell he was overwhelmed by all of this, and she couldn't really blame him. He was alone and injured, and she was throwing all these instructions at him and telling him he should come stay with her pack, and they barely even knew each other. It was a lot for him to take in on top of everything else he must have gone through before she found him. 

Still, he agreed to go with her, which was a huge relief. She wasn't sure she could live with herself if she just left him out here to figure things out on his own. Yeah, I think they'll be fine with it. she answered. Then, she gently added: I'm sorry, I know this is a lot. Once we get back to my home, I'll get you something to eat and you can rest. At the very least, she thought he would benefit from a night sleeping somewhere that was safe. 

She looked him over. Do you think you can get up and walk right now? she asked him. She didn't want to push him to do something he might not be up for just yet. @Emrik would be worried that she was gone longer than normal, but she hoped he would understand why.
76 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
She tried to assure him that her leadership would be fine with it, but he would still prepare himself for them to say no. After all, it was a pretty logical choice to him, looking at it from their point of view. But, she knew her pack mates better than he did, and there was something akin to trust growing within him for her. 

At the promise of a meal and safe rest, Lokie would walk whether his body wanted it or not. He nodded, and then slowly gathered himself up into a standing position. Muscles in his side that had liked resting resisted against his movement and spasmed in an effort to protect themselves. Lokie held his breath until they relaxed, and then his breathing turned shallow as he tried to ward off the pain. After you, he said, implying he would follow her lead. Just not too fast, he requested. 

We can pick this up at KO borders, if you like!

Debbie Ford
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
sounds good! i'll start it

She watched him get up, wincing as she watched his pained, shallow breaths. She wished that he didn't have to move just yet, but he would be better off in Kaistleoki, she was sure of that. 

He seemed to finally be ready to move, and she nodded at his words. Of course; let me know if I need to slow down anymore. With continued worried glances in his direction, she headed off towards the river, hoping the journey was uneventful.