Redsand Canyon They came to see you spit your game
287 Posts
Ooc — Hela
All Welcome 
for @Derg
set for late afternoon

The canyon was hotter than he liked. Normally, he stuck to places that didn't make him feel like he would boil alive inside his dark raven coat, and during the hottest parts of the day, he wondered if he might be better off leaving and spending his days somewhere that didn't exacerbate the heat of the summer. He did tend to be somewhat dramatic, especially in situations where he was inconvenienced in any way. Knowing this about himself, he decided to find somewhere cool to hide until the sun went down and he could find something useful to do and not die of heat exhaustion. 

The sound of rushing water could be heard somewhere close by, and the beast spent the better part of an hour trying to find the source. Painstaking minutes were spent trekking through the sweltering canyon before he finally submerged from its depths and was able to look down over the sparkling clear water. The dryness of his mouth suddenly became unbearable, and he could think of nothing other than scaling down the other side of the canyon wall and plunging his face into the water. 

And he did just that. He submerged his face into the water and then furiously lapped in as much of the cool liquid as his stomach would allow. Then, feeling sloshy inside, he found a shaded rock near the water fall kept cool by the mist provided by the force of water hitting water and leaped atop it to promptly sprawl out and cool himself off. 

Within minutes, his eyes drifted shut. He didn't allow himself to fully sleep though—he never did; his ears were very much aware of the sounds around him. For now though, all he heard was the sound of falling water.
Shaking hands with the dark parts of my thoughts
Tha gràin agam air an t-saoghal
Health (100/100)
725 Posts
Ooc — Sofie
Therapist
Warrior
Derg was taking another trip to the falls on his rounds.
He often patrolled from Beecher's Hope, where he got muddied by the orange clay, and travelled all the way down towards Paranoia Peaks. The route he travelled was arguably the second most dangerous, for intruders who knew this sort of landscape would stick to the water to find their way and combat the unprecedented heat.

It also showed him who had been through too, for the water's edge was often damp and held paw prints.

On his patrol from the north to the south of the territory, he was passing Paradise Falls.
Sprawled out on a rock, a deep, dark shadow. Darker than Donovan, which earned a bit of caution from Derg.
He didn't know this man well, who's name had slipped his mind with recent events.

Derg chuffed, trotting up lazily, deciding a break wouldn't be amiss.
"Are you ok?" he asked. He'd hate for a packmate to be overcome by the heat, or thinking they'd be fine after an attack from some strange canyon animal.
And then drop dead.
|  •  •  |
287 Posts
Ooc — Hela
He hadn't heard the steps of the other man over the sound of the water, something that might have irritated him if that man standing in front of him hadn't reminded him so much of Alarian. His throat tightened and he stared at the Overseer, his violet gaze intense as his fractured mind tried to make sense of things. His scarred face, his lithe frame, his coat made of browns and greys—it was so similar to the one who used to be his. 

He hadn't even noticed that he had raised himself up to lay sternally almost immediately after he had opened his eyes to gaze upon the other man. Midar cleared his throat and drew in a long breath to try and steady his heart. Yes, he finally answered. It's hot, and I was trying to stay cool until the sun set, he explained, his voice sounding more normal with each word. Had it been anyone else, his answer would definitely have had less words and more cussing. 

I'm Midar, he said next, offering a stiff nod as he spoke. Then he gave an expectant raise of an eyebrow as he waited for the scarred man to reciprocate his introduction.
Health (100/100)
725 Posts
Ooc — Sofie
Therapist
Warrior
The man quickly sat up.
Perhaps he was anxious after being caught napping by the Overseer.
His explanation cam hastily, which satisfied Derg.
The man hummed lowly, sitting himself.

He smiled, hoping to ease Midar.
"It's ok, as long as you work when you can, then I have no quarrel with this," he explained. Whether the man hunted or patrolled - which he would be well suited for - Derg didn't mind.
He found it hard sometimes during the day.

"I'm Derg, Overseer," he reciprocated. He slowly pushed his forepaws out, settling down on the slightly damp clay.
|  •  •  |
287 Posts
Ooc — Hela
It was amusing that this Alarian look-alike thought he was frazzled over being caught napping; so much so that he released a soft, low chuckle. Oh, I don't care that you found me resting, he replied, stretching languidly before settling closer to the edge of the rock much the way a lion would. He did work when he felt like it, and he didn't much care about pulling his weight. He definitely wasn't interested in doing anything during the hottest part of the day, unless it was staying right here and learning more about the Overseer. 

Derg, Overseer he repeated back, dipping his head. You remind me of someone, he admitted with a raise of his eyebrow. He let that hang in the air between them as he gazed down at the other man. There wasn't much else he was willing to offer on the subject just yet; it would only dampen the mood, and that wouldn't be very interesting. A smirk curved the side of his mouth and his gaze never left Derg's face.
Health (100/100)
725 Posts
Ooc — Sofie
Therapist
Warrior
Oh, so he didn't care.
Derg didn't expect his packmates to be apologetic. But careful? Perhaps a little.
His brow raised but said nothing.
No point starting stuff now like what happened with Renard.
Blatant disinterest in being pack worthy, he thought. Unlike Baptise.

He hummed softly, looking across the water.
Was it just Derg, or was it getting...cloudier? Perhaps. Maybe a storm was rolling in.

His eyes drifted back to Midar.
Who he may be talking of?
"My sister Grezig, perhaps." He mused. The pair did look rather alike.
He watched Midar for some flicker of realisation. 
|  •  •  |
287 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Midar would only push so much, curious to see what boundaries others felt the need to set. And since this was one of the leaders, he most likely wouldn't push anymore. The raise of his eyebrow pulled on from Midar in return, but he said nothing else.

He shook his head when Derg mentioned his sister, Grezig; he had no idea who that was. Someone from my past, he said, his tone strange as memories he didn't wish to revisit came to the forefront of his mind. He shook out his coat where he reclined as if he could shake the thoughts away and decided he didn't want to say anymore about it. He rested his head on his paws and stared at the Overseer with an unreadable violet gaze. He actually said nothing else at all, just stared.
Health (100/100)
725 Posts
Ooc — Sofie
Therapist
Warrior
Vague.
Oh so very vague from a man who had demons hidden in his dreams.
Or maybe it was all nightmares.

It was a shame he hadn't met his sister. He suspected this man had a spirit like a storm cloud where grezig was the lightning. A perfect couple.
And a much better suiter than that Vaati bastard.
He didn't even know that the two were related.

"Care to talk about it?" He asked. He could try to make him feel better about it. Help him come to terms with his past.
|  •  •  |
287 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Not really, he said dismissively. He hadn't brought it up because he wanted to discuss the details of his past or the way he felt about it; he kept that shit locked up tightly somewhere deep inside. Sometimes it would all catch up to him, and all the feelings would hit him at once with far more intensity than he could ever anticipate, like it all was just building up until it exploded. Those were not good times for the beast, but right now, he couldn't sense any fractures in his control. He was someone who was important to me, but we're not together anymore. That was all he would offer before he changed the subject. 

Midar shifted over to lay on his side, drawing in a deep breath and releasing it slowly. How did you find yourself as the Overseer? he asked, his gaze never leaving the other man's face. You know, aside from the former one's death, he added with a low chuckle; he had found the whole thing peculiar and amusing, but had not cared enough about the politics to really look more into the situation.
Health (100/100)
725 Posts
Ooc — Sofie
Therapist
Warrior
Fair enough.
He wouldn't really either, though he blubbered enough to Donovan about it so no one else needs to know.
Not really.
Not unless they had intentions of making him feel better and building some sort of relationship with him.
Donovan was all lust and in-the-moment feelings.
Good feelings.

He felt bad for Midar though. He missed Ronnie so much...but was he just lustful too?
He glanced away, looking to the desert peaks, "I lost my important person too." He mused with a softly rueful smile. Wishing he could feel like Ronnie made him again.

His question earned him the return of his gaze.
"Ah," he thought for a moment. Why him? "Well, it seemed Donovan thought he could trust me more than that witch, and I was suitable enough for the job," he smirked, a soft chuckle, "he doesn't treat me like some of the wolves he lures to the Saints." No, if he did Derg would have been fucked on the spot. Maybe it was because he cried...but there wore more than enough chances.
Whatever, Donovan's issues.

And with that, Midar gave a huff, seeming like he was tired of talking, which was fine by Derg. He didn't want to gossip anymore so took his leave, returning to his patrol and leaving Midar to his snooze.
|  •  •  |