Duskfire Glacier line your lips and keep 'em closed
604 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Medic
Ambassador
Ranger
Limit Two 
Lane knew she needed to call the pack together and present some kind of plan. No doubt rumors were already spreading about the uncertain future of the Glacier. Ensio had been present at the meeting of leaders in the valley, and Lane had mentioned some of her thoughts and plans to both Meerkat and Askari. After speaking with Meerkat however, Lane wondered if her and Issorartuyok's decision to move the pack had been too hasty. Could there be other options to consider?

Lane lifted her voice up, but not to summon the whole pack. She asked specifically for @Askari, and after some consideration, @Arius. The former frequently acted as her advisor and the later, her trainee. Arius had requested training in leadership, and this was about to be a crash course.
32 Posts
Ooc —
After her former discussion with Lane, Askari had spent much of her time wandering the glacier... examining each corpse and even the living. She watched for any interesting behavior; an indication of how the ill struck would behave while still standing upon four legs. Thus far, nothing could be made from her search. 

She continued to watch on this day, but a familiar beckon broke the concentration. It was Lane. Now her curiosity lied elsewhere. Filling the role she currently held would take some time getting used to, and so, each time the alpha called, a surprise would follow.

The red wolf made haste to find the one who had called for her. Not long after, Askari was trotting up to greet Lane. She approached slowly, passing the woman's flank briefly to peck her shoulder with a warm nose. This was her way of a respectful and sincere greeting. Once the silent acknowledgment had been given, Askari circled 'round and lowered upon her quarters. Even though she had only known Lane for a short time, by now she was aware that these meetings weren't for no reason. This was important and so she would treat the encounter as such.

What's going on? She was quick to place the question out in front of the alpha, eager to hear whatever news were to be passed.
604 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Medic
Ambassador
Ranger
Wither-- I hope this isn't confusing, but (for continuity purposes) in this post Lane refers to a small conversation that occurred offscreen "yesterday." If you are uncomfortable with the pp, please let me know and I'm happy to edit. 

Torvi, jump in whenever! I know you're on absence, so no rush.

"Hi, Askari," Lane greeted her. Everything about the alpha would seem wilted. No, these meetings were never for no reason, although occasionally Lane would have liked for the reason to be a little lighter. 

Arius had not yet arrived, but perhaps he was attending the meeting with Issorartuyok. Lane would fill in her apprentice when he was able to arrive. 

"Askari, when we spoke briefly yesterday, I asked you-- theoretically-- how long you thought the pack's present food stores would last, if we consumed at our current rate. You told me they would last about a month." Lane had made this inquiry in a off-handed way, so perhaps Askari hadn't realized that there was a heavier issue attached to it. 

"Well, there is nothing theoretical about it. There has been a resurgence of the wasting disease, and it has devastated the herd. None are left standing."  Perhaps Askari had already heard this news, which no doubt had spread like wildfire through the pack after the devastation had been discovered the day before. "Without the herd, a pack of our size will starve. Even if we managed to pull through winter, there could be no pups here in the spring." Lane did not fancy the idea of going hungry all winter, and she feared the pack would lose Issorartuyok (and by extension, the other Tatkrets) if he was forced to choose between his home here and his future children. 

"Issorartuyok has called a meeting with a few hand-picked scouts, and they plan to leave as soon as possible. They will seek out a new home that is capable of supporting the pack." Lane paused. This was where she had some hesitation. She had not thought twice about the need to move, but Lane herself had always been a bit of a nomad. She had never formed a strong attachment to a piece of land. Meerkat's reaction to the suggestion of moving, however, had caused Lane to reconsider her and Issorartuyok's rather hasty, one-sided decision.

Was moving everyone the best course of action? Could this land support a smaller Duskfire pack, if some moved and others stayed? Instead of seeking out a new land for the whole pack, should Lane be encouraging her followers to join with allies, as Meerkat suggested? Was there some other solution that Lane hadn't yet imagined? 

"I'd like to know what you think of the idea of moving the pack, or if there is another course of action we should consider." This was Lane's question for both Askari and @Arius, but the latter she had called additionally so that he could experience the decision-making process of a leader.
32 Posts
Ooc —
I'm completely fine with it. Thank you for letting me know!

The red woman listened to all that had been spoken intently. A previous discussion was mentioned, as were the outcome thoughts. Lane was correct.. there was nothing theoretical about whether or not their bellies would be full through the winter season. With this outbreak, those left here would starve. Moving did seem like a wise option, but there were measures to think about beforehand.

I understand what you mean. If we remain here, it is more than likely that we will all starve and what youth and elder live may pass before the winter's end. However, while moving the pack somewhere more sustainable does seem like the most beneficial option, there are things to consider before that can happen. As the most obvious point, we cannot simply just pack up and leave without an idea of where to go. If we do that, we only guarantee the lacking chance of survival. You had said that Issorartuyok is organizing a scouting trip... this is good. The last say will be up to you and him, but here is where I think we should continue: While he sets off to scout a new home, we here should send a group to try and find some form of sustenance to last us until a new territory is found and to keep us on our feet during our travel to wherever we may go. Who knows how long it will take and it would be foolish of us to gamble with our time.

There was much heard and much said. But, decisions needed to be made soon. Hopefully Askari had given a worthwhile answer and even possibly the right idea for Lane to pursue. More, perhaps, would need to be done in preparation, but this seemed like a good start.
604 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Medic
Ambassador
Ranger
Lane had been leaning toward setting out with the pack as soon as the food ran out, whether or not Issorartuyok was back. They could always find him on the road, if need be. However Askari counseled something different. She suggested waiting until Issorartuyok returned, emphasizing how important it was to know where they were going. She suggested further that efforts should be made to secure a new food source while that pack awaited the scouting party's return. 

"Okay," Lane agreed. "Will you take charge of this initiative to locate a new source of food?" It had been her idea, after all. "The Meltwater Lake might be a good place to start. Veteran mentioned something about fish eggs once.." Lane hadn't listened very hard at the time, because fish eggs sounded like they would taste terrible. But anything was better than starving. 

"Also, I'd like to promote you to Eta," Lane mentioned. If Askari was going to take on more responsibility, she should be recognized for it.
32 Posts
Ooc —

There was no denying that Lane was likely surprised by this suggestion. Both had different thoughts set to mind. Lane wanted to get the pack somewhere safe and sustainable and while Askari agreed, haste can't always be sought.

When the alpha then agreed, this pleased the red woman. Given that it had been her responsibility to be of counsel, it was always good to know that her ideas were of use.

The suggestion to take charge, however, wasn't what she would have expected. Lane was quick to put faith in her, but Askari didn't mind this. In fact, on the contrary — it would be a welcomed gesture. The more that trust and responsibility was given only assured the red woman that she had been performing well. This would become beneficial if she ever were to leave and start her village anew; that, or eventually find herself within the leadership ranks of the glacier.

I would be honored to take on such a task. A smile drew upon her lips, tail thumping slightly against her quarters. How would you prefer I proceeded? Shall the venture be taken alone, or should assistance be requested? I can manage with either.. though, going it alone may keep me away longer — depending on how quick I am to travel, of course.

Promotion had been mentioned in addition, but to this, the woman would only bow her head with a silent gesture of gratitude. Allowing time to show for pride would only distract from the most important matters at hand.

604 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Medic
Ambassador
Ranger
Askari wanted some direction in how to proceed, and Lane wasn't sure how to advise her. She'd never had to deal with anything of this magnitude before, and in such a position of responsibility. 

"All of the pack's resources are at your disposal. Take whoever you need." Lane couldn't think of anything more important that anyone could be doing, aside from the scouting initiative. She would trust in her new Eta's judgement.

"Thanks, Askari," Lane spoke with an air of finality. Looking over her shoulder, she frowned. Where was Arius? It was strange for him to miss a summons. She would debrief the conversation with her student later. She thought he might even want to join Askari's task force, especially once he realized it could be a ticket to promotion.

"Let me know if you need anything," she asked, by way of parting. As long as Askari had no more questions, Lane would depart with a nod of gratitude.
32 Posts
Ooc —
Confirmation brought a determined expression upon her face.

Lane was prepared to step aside and allow Askari a chance to show what she was made of. Fail, she would not.

Very well, then. The night will be used well to think upon further course of action. By morning, I will depart.

With a final nod, alongside a small smile, the red woman bid farewell, turning to trot towards her makeshift den.