Nimbus Summit I will give you all that I have and then some
242 Posts
Ooc — R/Rachel
Imaq woke, not because of the low rumbling of thunder. On the contrary, the sound of raindrops pattering against the roof of their illuk and the soft clap of the storm inclined Selkie to snuggle deeper into their bedfurs and curl tighter around their son. It was the call of her name that finally forced the she-dog to rouse -- with a great stretch and a yawn that caused her practically to vibrate with its ferocity. 

Rasping a splotched tongue of pink and black along similarly speckled chops, the ukiligiak slipped from the den and materialized at her husband's side. She settled there, not quite so awkwardly or ungainly as before, on fluffy and scarred haunches. It would take a while before the falling drops would penetrate her thick coat, even as they freckled her patched and spotted fur with new patterns.

"Silaluk," the medicine woman lilted softly by way of greeting, for to speak loudly felt to break the gentle ambiance. "Mean 'rain.' Many word for rain. Suagutak. Rain fall," she added, an explanation, as she cut a line through the air with her muzzle -- as if tracing the arc of a raindrop falling to the earth. 

"Siusiukuluk", Imaq grinned, gesturing with a jerk of her snout to a thrush that had descended from the canopy to splash joyfully in a puddle some metres away from where the couple sat watching the showers.

thought I'd start adding some translations! 
Illuk: house
Ukiligiak: spotted dog
Silaluk: rain
Suagutak: rain showers/rainfall
Siusiukuluk: Rain-bird (thrush)
"...and all around was the bitter arctic cold and the immense silence of the North..."
Messages In This Thread
RE: I will give you all that I have and then some - by Imaq - May 12, 2022, 02:53 PM