Meadowlark Prairie Swear to shake it up
120 Posts
Ooc — Hela
All Welcome 
Hymnal was reaching the age where pushing boundaries didn't seem so scary. Her parents being angry with her didn't seem devastating. It wouldn't be pleasant if she got caught, of course, but now the risk outweighed the potential consequences. 

She had sneaked over the borders early in the morning and started her adventure. Eventually, she found herself in a snow-covered meadow. It was one of the prettiest things she had ever seen. 

A scent drew her attention; she wasn't quite sure what it was, but she began to track it through the snow as best as she knew how. Most of it was based on instinct.
415 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Historian
hope you don't mind me snagging this older thread!

She wasn't following Hymnal, per se, but noticed the shadow leave the bounds of the caldera on her own patrols. She kept her distance, moving at an angle and watching the girl from the corner of her eye. If there were danger, Lilitu could leap in at a moment's notice.

But the plains were quiet, and—

Oh GOD, OH MY GOD! she shrieked, having inadvertently stepped into a hole and onto something squishy; withdrawing her paw to see a whole goddamn SNAKE shoot out at her. She fled quickly, teeth gritted, looking wildly behind her to see if the reptile was in pursuit.

And ugh, great. She was within shouting distance of Hymnal and had no doubt gotten the girl's attention, and now they were no more than a few paces away from each other. Excellent.
120 Posts
Ooc — Hela
not at all! i appreciate it <3

Shouting broke her concentration, and she recognized the voice as belonging to Lilitu. Hymnal immediately stopped what she was doing and ran towards the sound. Though what they hell could she do? It didn't matter; Lilitu was part of Brecheliant, and the blackthorn girl didn't want anything bad to happen to her. 

She didn't see the snake as she trailed closely behind her packmate. What's wrong? she shouted from behind the woman. She hoped it was nothing too serious or scary. They would need mama or papa if that was the case.
415 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Historian
She was grimacing, feeling awkward as she trotted toward Hymnal. Snake, she said tersely, and glanced behind her, as if the thing was close on her heels. Doubtful; it had probably slithered into the tall grasses again. Why would it be so concerned with her? Just startled me. That's all.

Lilitu gave the girl a pleasant smile. Sorry. I don't mean to bother you, she remarked. She kept a slight distance, letting the girl go and do whatever. If Hymnal wanted to depart her company, Lilitu would allow her.

But they were strangers, which was odd given her closeness with the girl's mother. Perhaps this was a chance for them to bond.
120 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Hymnal made a squeamish sound and her face wrinkled. Ewww. Is it gone? she asked, her eyes searching the ground worriedly. She didn't like snakes very much.

You're not bothering me, she said amiably. Hymnal smiled at the woman. I was exploring. Do you know this place? Her words were rushed and excited. She hoped Lilitu didn't know she wasn't supposed to be out here on her own, but now she wasn't alone. She had an adult to help her explore.
415 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Historian
She let out a small breath in relief, knowing how much young wolves valued their independence. It's gone, she promised, trying to make her voice sound more confident than her mind. Just waiting on the thing to slither back up on her and. . . Yeah, ewwww, she added, with a shiver.

Lilitu shook her head at the question, looking around. Not really, she replied. I mean, I've seen it from the caldera, and on trips, but I haven't really spent time here.

She began to pad toward a higher point on the prairie, hoping to be able to spot more things from that vantage point, and flicked her tail toward Hymnal to follow. It's beautiful. . .it's like it never ends. I bet deer live here, when the weather is nicer, Lilitu remarked, glancing back at the girl with a smile.
120 Posts
Ooc — Hela
You think so? she asked when Lilitu mentioned that deer might live here. Have you hunted deer before? she asked. It had been something she was interested in learning for some time. Both of her parents had expressed interest in teaching her, and she wondered if Lilitu might want to do the same. 

As she waited for an answer, her nose was drawn to something under the snow. Hymnal quickly got to work digging, hoping to find something interesting.
415 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Historian
She smiled softly. Yes, I have, she replied. But only in a group. Lone wolves can't take deer by themselves; they are too large. 

Before she could speak further, Lilitu noted the path of Hymnal's nose, and lowered herself to mirror the other's posture. 

What do you smell? she asked.

It was quiet around them, with only the far-off birds and slight humming of insects to keep them company.