Stavanger Bay percee scan
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
'Much days' flight' sounded like a pretty long distance. Charon wasn't very good at estimating how long, but his mind simply translated it into 'much days' walking', which sounded super far. He wasn't sure if Ragnar and Thistle would allow him to go that far. "That sounds far," Charon responded, though he was glad that Shiv seemed positive towards seeing him again, too.

At the mention of Ragnar and Thistle Shiv asked if they were friends, and told him he could bring whomever. "They're more sort of like parents, I guess," Charon said hesitantly in response to the 'friends' question. "Not my real parents, or anything. They're often busy and stuff, and I guess it's just not the same like if my real parents were still here, but they try and stuff." They could've just left him to die, after all, so Charon supposed he should be grateful. Still, they didn't quite fill the hole in his heart that his departed family had left.

Not really eager to get into a talk about family, Charon hastily continued the conversation and said, "I'll see if I can bring a friend over sometime. But if Ragnar and Thistle aren't okay with it it may be a while 'til I can visit, when I'm older and able to go there myself." It could take a while before he'd ever visit the Heartwood if it took growing up first (well, in Charon's youthful mind anyway, where a few months was a really, super long time).
111 Posts
Ooc — Laur
It was a far away place, Shiv did admit. While flying seemed quicker, her tiny wings didn't carry her quite as far as say, an eagle's, so she had to rest more often and the distance covered probably took the same amount of time as it did for a wolf to walk it. The thought of the flight back to the Heartwood made Shiv nervous, but she knew once she set out it wouldn't be too bad. All she had to do was avoid the eagles and coyotes and foxes. She wished she could take Charon along with her.

As he explained his situation with these Ragnar and Thistle folks, the magpie cocked her head to one side, taking a moment to figure out his words. So, he was adopted? She replied with a sad-sounding rumble, wanting even more to simply kidnap the young boy and make him live in the forest with her. He went on to mention he would try and visit, though, even with a friend perhaps! Bowing forward, Shiv bobbed her head in excitement. "Yes, yes! Shiv keep Charon and friend safe!" she said. "But Charon can also visit when bigger!" She sized him up then, wondering how much more growing he had to do. Would he reach the size of Prima? Or perhaps that very large, red-coated brute she had seen in the forest with the other female wolf?

Casting back her gaze to the sky again, the bird anxiously scratched at the sand with one foot. It was getting darker, she would have to leave soon before the other birds of prey began their hunting. Charon, too, probably needed to be back with his adoptive parents before night fell completely. "Shiv need to hide soon," she announced, looking back to the pup's blue eyes. "Don't want to be eaten!"
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
It would be pretty cool to visit Shiv and get a tour of this place called Heartwood from her, Charon thought. He hoped that he would be able to do as he told Shiv and visit there. "I'll try!" said Charon, really hoping he would get there sometime. Considering he was only young, he didn't think to ask about directions. He imagined just walking in the right direction right off the bat, and maybe asking a friendly stranger for directions once or twice, before reaching Shiv's home.

"Yeah, I gotta go too," Charon said when Shiv mentioned she had to leave before getting eaten. He wouldn't likely get eaten, but he didn't want Thistle or Ragnar to get too worried if he stayed away for long. "It was nice meeting Shiv — It's pretty cool having a bird friend!" Charon's tail wagged a few beats as he said this, not realising he had somewhat taken over Shiv's self-addressing-mannerisms as he mentioned her.

"Anyway, have a good trip home, Shiv, seeya!" With those parting words, Charon turned around and started to head on home, where he'd have soooo many cool stories to tell Levi and Gunnar, neither of whom probably had a cool bird friend like Shiv.
111 Posts
Ooc — Laur
Thanks for the thread! :D

And it was pretty cool having a wolf friend! Shiv mentally responded as the boy spoke with a few wags of his tail. She attempted her own version of this, bending down with her chest almost touching the ground, waving her long tail in the air. She felt a little silly, maybe that was just a wolf thing. Standing back up, the bird nodded her head as Charon wished her well on her journey back home, before turning and heading back to wherever his home was.

She watched him go a few moments, already missing her young friend (even though he hadn't even left her sight yet). Her attention quickly shifted, though, and the magpie bounced back to the crab shell, scraping her beak against it to pull out the last bits of meat. Claiming a small piece of flesh, Shiv then took to the sky, gliding high over Charon as he walked away before doing a 180 and heading into the forest that bordered the beach, intending to finish her small meal in peace before settling in for the night.