Lake Rodney outside the sky waits, beckoning
Ghost
backwater peon
627 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Although Ruenna tried to reassure him that thing were okay, he didn't feel like it was the truth. His own anxieties about his family and the yearning he'd held for these few weeks now ate at him, creating a mountain out of the mole hill that was Ruenna's appearance here. Why would she be here and calling for him unless there was something very bad happening?

She went on to explain things quickly, while Reyes focused - perhaps too intently - upon every word. He did not notice that there was a second body lingering in the periphery; that the guard who had been so eager to cast him away from the borders previously, Azon, was present and lurking.

As if Ruenna needed protection on the short trip between packs - as if anyone from the Redhawks needed protection from Reyes. The fact that he was present would have stung Reyes had he not been so focused on what Ruenna was saying.

I should feel honored that she's creating a whole new rank just for me. He cut in, his tone barbed. That wasn't the best way to accept such information - this was a chance to return home to his children and prove himself to everyone, which was more than he ever expected. Knowing how distant he felt the last time he lives among the Redhawks, Reyes didn't think he'd have much of a chance to gain anyone's trust; plus, Towhee wasn't exactly a forgiving creature.

It was a low blow to offer this sort of thing. To dangle his children before him as a carrot on a string, demanding good behavior when he hadn't done anything wrong in the first place. Reyes thought about what that might look like to his children: that their mother was in the highest spot and their father was in the lowest. It wasn't like Reyes really had a choice if he truly wanted to be in their lives again.

I'll have to talk it over with the leadership here. He thought of Teya suddenly. They were kind enough to let me stay, I can't just abandon them without any warning. But I do want to be in their lives again - the kids I mean. And... Towhee's he almost said, but caught himself. He wasn't sure he trusted her anymore than she trusted him.

This olive branch was the bare minimum she could have offered.

I'm just... surprised. That she'd offer this at all. He ended, lamely.
Messages In This Thread
outside the sky waits, beckoning - by Ruenna - August 02, 2021, 12:39 PM
RE: outside the sky waits, beckoning - by Reyes (Ghost) - August 02, 2021, 08:39 PM
RE: outside the sky waits, beckoning - by Ruenna - August 03, 2021, 12:18 PM
RE: outside the sky waits, beckoning - by Reyes (Ghost) - August 04, 2021, 02:52 PM
RE: outside the sky waits, beckoning - by Ruenna - August 05, 2021, 08:38 AM
RE: outside the sky waits, beckoning - by Reyes (Ghost) - August 05, 2021, 08:54 PM
RE: outside the sky waits, beckoning - by Ruenna - August 15, 2021, 10:31 AM