Redtail Rise etude
600 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
He knew. But he wondered, then, what would have happened if he had not learned to heal. Was friendship, and family, a currency that was enough in itself for her? It wasn't a question that meant anything for his own place. But for any children who grew up, if they had happened to be like him, it could mean the difference between a life of acceptance and rejection.

You said the Rise was a place of warriors. It was a place of strength. He still spoke plainly, though with less intensity. It was harder, but Ashlar's discussion with Prophet had put a lot of his thoughts in order. I'm helping build that. But I know where I stand in it. You do too. He didn't accuse her, but he did think she would understand if she only thought about it. It wasn't mine to decide.

Perhaps that was the true unfairness of it all. In this place that she had built, he had striven to make himself a role in it. She'd given him a title, but she had not defined what that meant against the likes of Tulimaq or Prophet or the rest. Ashlar would not have asked her to - he liked having nothing to defend. It was just unfair of her, resenting his hesitance, when his place held little respect to the contrary.

And if they decided they did not want to fight, I would want that to be okay. They should know that isn't all there is. His parents had shown him. Ashlar wasn't sure that it was something Avicus had ever acknowledged before, but he could see it here now. The Rise was far different than the valley had been. It wasn't an army - it was a family. And he would help her children to learn it, if he could, so long as she did not stop him.
Messages In This Thread
etude - by Ashlar - August 06, 2022, 04:30 AM
RE: etude - by Avicus - August 06, 2022, 09:04 PM
RE: etude - by Ashlar - August 06, 2022, 11:27 PM
RE: etude - by Avicus - August 10, 2022, 05:32 PM
RE: etude - by Ashlar - August 10, 2022, 05:59 PM
RE: etude - by Avicus - August 12, 2022, 03:53 PM
RE: etude - by Ashlar - August 12, 2022, 04:16 PM
RE: etude - by Avicus - August 12, 2022, 04:30 PM
RE: etude - by Ashlar - August 12, 2022, 05:57 PM
RE: etude - by Avicus - August 12, 2022, 06:09 PM
RE: etude - by Ashlar - August 12, 2022, 06:27 PM