Bearclaw Valley When your footsteps conquer the street
600 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
All Welcome 
idk if this is joining or not.... tbh I just want to see what happens >>;

When the other man's scent had mingled with bear, Ashlar almost turned back.  But despite a tucked tail and a body that could almost be melded with the earth, the boy persevered.  He could not explain why he chose to follow Illidan.  The other wolf had seemed sad and hadn't been particularly charming, but Ashlar was lonely, and time on his own was fast losing it's novelty.  He wished he'd followed the man from before, but there was little chance picking up his trail.  This was the closest he could find.

Ashlar was in luck this time.  His search paid off in the form of a pack boundary.  He stopped well short of it, elation tempered with the familiar sour of anxiety.  He'd never attempted a pack without his parents present, and he wasn't sure how to begin.  He would need some reason for them to take him, but as Ashlar thought, his mind went blank.  What.... what was.... could he do anything?  

The young wolf let out a soft whine of indecision.  He could call or he could go, but at the moment, he was frozen at the mere prospect of the choice and all it meant.
192 Posts
Ooc — Chishio
Away
As it turned out, the other wolf wouldn't need to call at all. Skoll had been on a daily patrol, one he always did. The first thing that Skoll noticed was the scared deposition the wolf had. If the wolf had come to the border on their own why were they scared? Was he one that Ursus had a distaste for? Didn't seem that way - Skoll had not heard of them picking a fight with a wolf so pathetic looking as that one did. If he wanted to look confident he was greatly failing at it. 

"You are at the borders of Ursus." Skoll rumbled out. 

This guy better not have been thinking about crossing over the borders - but it didn't seem to be that way. 

"Why are you here?"
600 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Ashlar winced as the other wolf confidently broke through the silence, and instinctually hunched more for a moment.  The boy was bad at conversation on any given day; when faced with this intimidating beast, his tongue was practically welded.  At length he managed to melt the binding, but it was a rough and shoddy job.

I.... I just....  First he wanted to cry, then run, then disappear.  He felt the panic like a rising wave within his chest.  It threatened to crash over, overwhelm and carry him spinning from this place.  But he remembered his breaths, and the timing mama taught him.  In.  Out.  In.  Out.

I was wondering h...how to join.  He managed just the one sentence, but he did rise a bit, and glance at the man before him.  He was greatly intimidating, standing at a height far above the spindly boy and with a power of presence Ashlar could never hope to match.
192 Posts
Ooc — Chishio
Away
Skoll hadn't realized until now, but this guy was a yearling. He was just a kid. Why on earth did he want to get into a pack like this? Ursus wasn't for the heart of the weak, and this kid looked weak just based on how he presented himself. This kid wouldn't make it in Ursus. Skoll almost had the heart to turn him away. Except maybe with some training, Skoll wondered if he'd be less afraid. The dark man wasn't powerful enough to accept wolves into the pack, however, which meant speaking with one of the leaders. 

"You would talk to one of our leaders." Skoll voiced out. 

Perhaps he should have waited to see if one of them would appear instead of himself. But Skoll could call for them easily enough - if any of the three had time, that is. Skoll wasn't going to bring someone into the territory without one of them evaluating the wolf first, just in case something happened so he wouldn't be responsible for it. Even if this was just some weak yearling. 

Lifting his head up, Skoll let out a short howl. If none of them showed up he didn't know what he would do, but that was a thought for a later date.
Looking for either @Astara @Merrick or @Evien !
this is my book
and i know how to work the spells and charms in it
i know them all
1,610 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Warrior
Master Missionary
flare of nostrils and quick steps carried him to where the faithful soldier had called. a boy there, a dark brunet pelting him around a pair of frightened eyes. skoll was fearsome in his own way, merrick supposed with a bit of mirth; he snuck closer and chuffed toward the two.
"who's this?" though his single eye burned upon the young newcomer, and moment by moment he stole closer to grin down owlishly into the poor youth's soft visage.
600 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
The silver-tipped boy thought perhaps he'd made a mistake, but any question of that was hammered to certainty when the summoned man came.  The first thing that caught Ashlar was the ruined hole upon the man's face.  Ashlar had never seen such a clear depiction of violence, and he stared immediately, caught by the horror and nausea it envoked in him.  Immediately Ashlar's tail tucked lower and he gaped, unable to explain anything while he took in this "leader".

A....Ashlar.  By some miracle, he managed to stutter out a name.  He had the strange feeling, somewhere, that he was being mocked.  But that feeling was so buried under trepidation that he could do nothing about it.  He'd gotten himself into this mess by stupidly asking the man a question; now he was bound to remain and hear the resolution.
192 Posts
Ooc — Chishio
Away
Skoll waited until one of the leaders appeared - it was Merrick. Surely the man was thinking just about the same thing Skoll was himself, about how the kid appeared too weak for his own good? That kid really wasn't going to survive Ursus like that, with that personality of his. He'd be better off going to one of the softer groups, and staying far, far away from what this pack was doing. 

"He says he wants to know how to join." Skoll rumbled out. Giving a look at Merrick that really could only voice what he was thinking. If he was this bad at talking to the two of them how would he even survive knowing what was going on between Ursus and the Saints?
this is my book
i know them all
1,610 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Warrior
Master Missionary
merrick cocked his cunning head at the boy. such a shrinking violet, to apply for entry at ursus. but then he thought of snowskip; she seemed to fare well among the more bloodthirsty of her comrades.
"ashlar." he tasted the name, found it pleasing and ancient. "what can you do?" a glinting smirk to skoll; he would let the bear loyalist lead this particular interview once the bonny young fellow had answered. perhaps this ashlar would surprise them both.
600 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
When Merrick asked the question, Ashlar's mouth went dry, but all was not completely lost.  Fortunately he had just had this conversation with another, kinder stranger, and the words he'd said somehow leapt into his brain unbidden.  He couldn't know how they would come across to these strangers but he needed to try.  How would Ashlar make his own way if he always relied on mama to introduce him to others?  To speak for what he could achieve?

Ashlar swallowed and tried to straighten, but only succeeded minutely.  He did lift his eyes to glance at Merrick, but quickly looked away from the distressing sight of his face towards Skoll instead.  I.. umm.. I c..can help.  I help hunt and f..find plants.  A..and...  Ashlar had almost gone on to share the thing that he loved most to do, but he paused.  Sometimes he was encouraged, but sometimes he was teased, and the mocking manner of the leader gave him hesitation.  Singing was not a skill a pack could value no matter how he loved to do it.

But what else could he share?  I want to l..learn.  He finished, a little lamely, the decline in volume seeming to match his declining hope that he might match up to what they were hoping to hear.  Ashlar feared what being turned away meant for his independence, but he also feared what being accepted would bring.  This place was not home and these wolves were not like his family. 

Who did that to his face?  Why?
192 Posts
Ooc — Chishio
Away
Skoll made momentary eye contact with Merrick's single eye when the smirk came his way. What exactly was the man planning? Merrick's plans didn't instill fear in the dark man anymore, maybe once upon a time when he first started being within the pack. Whatever it was, it looked like the kid was tormented by the way the two wolves looked, or maybe talked. He could understand being afraid of the man next to him, missing an eye, scars littering his pelt. Skoll had injuries too, his healing stump at the end of his body where the tail used to be, the injuries on his face. It wasn't really anything intimidating, though. 

The kid stuttered his way through answering the question, and it didn't sound like he had any particular skills. But he was a kid, so. 

"Do you have anything you specifically want to do?" Skoll questioned. If not, well.... He didn't really know what the kid would do if he was let into the pack.
this is my book
i know them all
1,610 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Warrior
Master Missionary
insofar as merrick was concerned, ashlar was accepted on basis of his stuttering nature. in him was a clay that requested the molding of the bearwolves, and he had confidence in their ability to hone ashlar in such a manner.
gaze shifted between the two. "you could learn anything we wanted?" merrick questioned, lightly, airily. skoll would be the determinate, and this child need not expect entry despite his own willingness to bring him among them. winter was fast approaching, and with it, the needs of the pack would change. add to that the hunting scourge of sellfangs and irate packs; if the pretty joiner with the wide eyes wanted to compete, he must prove himself willing to shed blood.
600 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
ohhh nooooo

Each asked a question, and neither was easy to answer.  Ashlar stood with it and tried to get his breath together, hearing his mama's voice in his ears as he did.  One... two... three.... breathe.

He did not know if he wanted to learn what these wolves might teach.  He had a sense, but that sense was small, and he'd been raised among wolves who were good and kind.  He had no way of knowing, really, that these wolves were not the same.  Beside that, he was lonely, and this pack was one of few he'd found here.

I... I don't know.  he said, softly, to the ground.  The first question.  He did not have any clear image of what he wanted to do for sure.  But I'll learn anything.  Ashlar's voice grew louder and more sure for the second part.  It had to, because he knew that if he didn't, it was likely these wolves would not bother with him.  He needed to be sure and he was.  Ashlar could not promise that he could do, but he could promise that he would try.  So he confirmed the second and looked from one intimidating face to the other, unable even now to hide the tremble in his legs and the urge to tuck, hide, submit.
192 Posts
Ooc — Chishio
Away
Merrick asked his own question, and really, Skoll shouldn't be the one determining things. Merrick was the leader, so why was Skoll allowed to ask so many questions? It didn't make much sense, in his mind, and this kid seemed.... Too soft. But so did Snowskip... So. He didn't really have any imput on that part. They had a whole lot of wolves in the pack that would be able to teach this kid various things, but Skoll had an inkling that Merrick wanted this boy to learn how to fight. Just from how he presented his own question. 

"Tell me, Ashlar. Would you be willing to learn how to battle?" The kid said anything, so... It made some sense. Especially with the incoming war if it happened. 

The man looked to Merrick to see if he asked the right thing. This whole situation was strange. Skoll might have held some sort of pride if he wasn't so sure of his leaders plan.
600 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
skipping with permission!

Ashlar had hoped that this would be enough and that the stressful ordeal would be over.  It was exhausting for the poor boy to be standing like this before two terrifyingly competent wolves.  The next question only made the rift between what they represented and what he knew all the more terrible.

B...battle?  Um, I don't...  his voice faded to nothing.  He didn't understand the question.  He knew what it meant to fight and to defend yourself, but Ashlar had never imagined he would need to.  He'd always been surrounded by wolves with nothing but good intentions, and the idea that these wolves saw battle frequently resonated and put true fear in him for the first time.  He swallowed.

If I have to.  He finally said, his ears pressed sideways.  He knew there was honor in defending your pack and your family, and that sometimes helping others meant bringing pain to those who would harm.  He didn't mind learning to defend them, if that was what they asked of him.  If thats h...how I help.
this is my book
i know them all
1,610 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Warrior
Master Missionary
he listened, but it would be skoll's decision. yet already merrick was sizing the boy, considering what might prepare him for the place in ursus he sought to hold. winter soon, and winter was a savage bitch all her own.
192 Posts
Ooc — Chishio
Away
Merrick stayed silent, it intimidated Skoll despite him being the taller wolf. Was he just leaving the decision up to him? What qualities did Merrick even look for in wolves that join the pack? There was something for everyone to do - that wasn't a question. So maybe the kid could learn, he said he would, too. Maybe Skoll could help out with some of those things - he could hunt, fight. Though he wasn't the best, no one was. 

"I can teach him - to hunt and a little bit of fighting." Skoll said aloud. 

Would Merrick approve of that? Surely he would - though Skoll couldn't do much else. 

"I'm sure the others would help him."
600 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Frightened to join, frightened to be turned away.  Ashlar was truly stuck between a rock and a hard place.  Fortunately, the decision was out of his paws.  He would be unable to argue if they turned him out, and he would be unable to refuse if they allowed him entry.

It sounded as though they were considering him.  Through the fear, Ashlar felt a small glow of pride.  These wolves were formidable and here they were, considering him to be worthwhile to teach.  He knew that he was worthwhile; baba and mama had told him endlessly.  But he was not used to proving it to others and having them see it themselves.

Ashlar risked a smile, but kept his gaze down as he waited to hear what the true answer would be.
this is my book
i know them all
1,610 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Warrior
Master Missionary
last for me <3

"that's all we can do. we'll make a fine fighter of him," the bruin-witch remarked to skoll, pleased. a gentle sway of his tail. "welcome, ashlar." such a name, and a shifting youth to wield it. the young skeptic would know the might of the bear one day, and it would come about through the consistent struggles fought by ursus.
a nod to his guard, a knowing grin to the boy; merrick brushed his pelt against that of skoll and was gone. if the man remained to show ashlar about, so be it, but merrick himself had rather taken to a 'figure it for yourself' role.
192 Posts
Ooc — Chishio
Away
Merrick welcomed Ashlar and then walked off, Skoll could feel the brush of the other wolf's fur against his own and that only proceeded to make Skoll more confused. There was no use thinking about it, though, seeing as the man plodded off and left him alone with the kid. What was he supposed to say? 'Sorry you got looped in here' ? 'you're going to die' ? 

Ugh. 

"I can show you around if you want, otherwise we can start training after you've looked at everything."
600 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Just like that, Ashlar had been accepted.  His tail risked a wave while he watched Merrick leave shyly, then turned back to his newfound mentor.  The offer was a kind one and Ashlar was quietly delighted by it.  He would make himself worth it to them, he knew it, and then they would become his family as well.

Umm... yeah, th..that.  I'd like to see.  His ears tipped back at the stutter, but he watched Skoll eagerly.  He would follow just as avidly, taking in everything the wolf told him about this new home.

WC: 94