Sun Mote Copse You start to wonder why you're here not there
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
All Welcome 
Not that Wildfire thought they needed to be shielded from the world's troubles, but when she became aware of the recent drama afflicting the Redhawks, she decided to ask @Sequoia and @Kiwi to head to the copse sooner rather than later. Instead of waiting until morning, she sent out a soft howl for them shortly after nightfall. The woods would probably be lovely in the dark, especially with the crescent moon illuminating the snow.

Maybe it was irresponsible to leave, however temporarily, when the pack could probably use a seasoned diplomat right about now. Yet Wildfire figured the leadership was capable of sorting matters out for themselves, especially with three retired leaders on hand to advise. She was willing to pitch in but she didn't want to overstep and meddle in the top tier's business when she was still getting settled. And then there were the girls...

She hit the tree line and stopped to look over her slim red shoulder. Wildfire had been so caught up in her own thoughts, she hadn't spoken the entire way here or even checked to see if Sequoia and Kiwi were still behind her.
565 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
While I'm sure her talk with Niamh had been rather enlightening, Kiwi was still briefly aimless in the RedHawks, and so accepted Wildfire's invitation happily, especially when she learned it didn't include Bat.  She was still rather mum on the subject of her sister if pestered about it, not wanting to get into her anger and instead preferring to wallow in it.  She tried not to hold it against Sequoia that she'd been hanging out with her a bit. It mostly worked, but she was still a tidge jealous.

Where are we going? She finally asked, after Wildfire had been silent for a long while.  She hadn't wanted to bother, but she was curious.
Kiwi will internalize lies and twist things to her benefit until this becomes her reality.  Her thoughts are not my own <3
408 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
She felt she'd had some kind of breakthrough with Bat the other day, but Sequoia was beginning to learn how to navigate the relationship between the two sisters well enough that she hadn't brought it up with Kiwi. It wasn't the right time just yet. She decided she would know when the right time was... eventually. For now, she hung out with each of them one-on-one when she could, usually defaulting to Kiwi since they had spent more time together back in Drageda. The trip was mostly silent, Sequoia lost in her thoughts on how to eventually get the sisters to like each other again.

When Kiwi asked a question she could answer, Sequoia was on it like white on bread. Sun Mote Copse! she declared, answering even though it had been directed at Wildfire. Wildfire says it's very pretty. It had never occurred to Sequoia to ask why they were going there, because "being pretty" was a good enough reason for her.
No longer speaks Trigedasleng regularly.
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
They were there, right behind her, just like always. Wildfire wagged her tail, her heart swelling as she looked at the two girls. If only Bat was here, then the picture would feel a little more complete. But she didn't want to dwell on that sort of thing right now. She wanted to share something with Kiwi and Sequoia and simply enjoy the beauty of nature on a frosty December night.

Sequoia answered Kiwi's question and Wildfire bobbed her head. "There's just something about it I like. I don't think I can explain it. But I can show you." She lifted her tail now and pointed her nose into the woods, leading the way into the trees. They were tall and slender, giving the place an airy feel. There was a soft carpet of snow underfoot, some pine needles here and there too. Fortunately for her, they were easy to avoid.

Eventually, she wanted to lead the two youths toward the base of the mountain to see the river winding there. For now, she stopped at the same small clearing where she'd met Phex, pointing at the log. "It reminds me of where I birthed and raised you and your brothers and sister," Wildfire murmured, leaning over to bump Kiwi's neck. "What do you think so far?" she queried of them both.
565 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Sun Mote Copse.  It sounded pretty, and she was happy to be going even if she didn't understand why.  Places were all different to her and yet mostly the same.  So far she had yet to pick a place she liked best, now that Drageda was gone.  But she had really liked that Ravine, the one where she'd met that strange man.

It's nice. she said, sniffing at the log, then hopping up on it.  There's a lot of trees. I mean, duh.  But that was a positive for it, right?  She looked at Sequoia questioningly, wondering if maybe she got what her mom thought was so great.
Kiwi will internalize lies and twist things to her benefit until this becomes her reality.  Her thoughts are not my own <3
408 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Sequoia followed along, taking in the sights as best as she could and trying to see the forest through Wildfire's eyes. The only home Seq had really known was Drageda. The plateau was still new and fresh in her mind, but she could see the appeal of this forest, too. It was cozy, in it's own way, but it was nothing out of the ordinary to Seq. When Kiwi gave her a questioning look, Sequoia shrugged in response.

You think there's good hunting here? she wondered aloud. Maybe it would be a place they could visit for that. Not that Sequoia was an accomplished hunter or anything. Quite the opposite, in fact.
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
She could tell that neither one was enchanted by the copse the same way it captivated her, yet that was all right. Wildfire smiled at their observations, bobbing her head in response to Sequioa's. "I'm sure there's plenty of big and small game here." To Kiwi, she huffed a soft laugh and agreed, "You're not wrong. I like how they're spaced this way. Most woods are... closer, you know? I bet this place is always bright and airy. Can you imagine what it looks like in the summer?"

She could... but would they be around to see it then? Wildfire frowned at the intrusive thought. But she couldn't stop it, nor the train of others that chugged along behind it. She thought of all the conversations and events that had taken place since their arrival on the Redhawks' doorstep. Her gaze settled speculatively on the two young girls and she suddenly wanted to ask them a question, even if she feared the answer.

"When I left Drageda, I knew exactly where I was going to go: the Redhawks. But I didn't know how crowded it would be. And I didn't know your brother," Wildfire said, looking sadly at Kiwi, "would come find us and threaten us. I know we talked about how we shouldn't let that chase us off. But I've been doing a lot of thinking lately. I was considering going to visit my old home, the caldera, in the spring, and then maybe just... not stopping there. Traveling abroad, basically. I'd love if you two—and Bat, as well—came with me. But I understand that you might not want to be uprooted all over again. So," she finally circled around her conclusion, "I just wanted to put that out there and see what you two thought." She didn't think she needed to encourage either to be honest: Kiwi was never afraid to speak her mind and Sequoia was always pretty candid too.
565 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
"I guess," Kiwi said skeptically, though she brightened at the mention of 'more game'.  It was true that a forest would likely give lots of new and interesting things to track down.  Drageda had been nice, but prey on the cliffs was the stuff she was used to, and finding new things was always fun.

"I'm not scared," she said firmly, needing that to be known.  "But I don't care.  This place is good."  She shrugged, looking around.  She hadn't exactly... bonded... with any of the Redhawks yet, and Bat's presence there was a weight she wouldn't mind not dealing with.  Now that was a thought.  Wildfire said she hoped she'd come, but Kiwi found herself even more interested in the higher chance that she wouldn't.  She'd already clearly shown she didn't care one bit about mom's feelings.  "I like it."  She declared after a second, nodding, then casting a glance at her friend.  Kiwi wasn't about to say it, but a lot of her choices so far had depended on her friend's willingness to take part too.  If she could keep this family, the one right here, then she'd be ok anywhere.
408 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
You wouldn't be uprooting me, Sequoia noted. She hadn't been uprooted from Drageda, either. She had left of her own volition. Nobody had forced her to go, and ever since her conversation with Wraen, she had become more and more at ease with the idea of hopping from one pack to the next. The way Wraen had talked about it, it seemed like the most natural thing in the world. What was it she'd said? "I do not value such people much - who stop being friends for such a stupid reason as moving elsewhere." Sequoia had never hated Dalia or Bat for leaving, and she had never understood those who had.

I love seeing all the places, too! If Kiwi wants to go, so do I. And really, that was the gist of it. Sequoia wanted to stick with Kiwi, no matter where that ended up taking her. She truly did like her red bestie, and she couldn't imagine a life without her. They'd bonded early on with their dislike of litter mates and they'd gone through watching a sibling leave right around the same time. Now that they'd left Drageda together, Sequoia was pretty sure the glue between them was even stronger. She looked back at Kiwi with a big, confident grin.
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
Neither one of them seemed in the least upset by the notion. Wildfire let out a breath she hadn't even realized she'd been holding. Then licked her lips and cocked her head, trying to process Kiwi's words in particular. What did she mean about liking this place? Was that just her way of indicating that she would like to see other new places too?

"I like it too, a lot," Wildfire said slowly, still trying to parse the girl's meaning. She might as well just ask. "What do you mean by 'good' though? Good for what?"
565 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Sequoia was down to stay! Kiwi gave her a real, honest, and grateful smile, which wasn't something she passed out frequently and usually was reserved for her best friend.  Sequoia was one of very few wolves she felt comfortable talking to honestly, mostly because she never felt like she was competing with her.

She was put on the spot again, though, and Kiwi shifted somewhat uncomfortably.  I don't know, she replied, then realized how noncommittal that sounded and tried to backtrack.  I like it.  It's pretty, and as long as you're happy and Sequoia's here, I like it.  Her priorities in a home were pretty simple.  It was the people, not the place, and if it was only those two, then she had a better chance at really growing into the role she wanted to take.  She knew she was still meant to be in charge someday.
408 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Sequoia felt like Kiwi and Wildfire were on a different wavelength than she was. It was almost like their words didn't quite line up with what they were talking about. Not that that made any sense whatsoever. They kept talking about this place, but Sequoia had been under the impression that they wanted to go exploring... not stick around here forever. Kiwi in particular made it sound like she wanted to stay so long as Wildfire and Sequoia were part of the deal. The Drakru would have been happy wherever Kiwi was... and increasingly, where Wildfire was, too.

Are you thinking we'll stay? she asked. The question wasn't pointed directly at either of them, but more open to interpretation. Would Artaax be able to find us here, too? she wondered aloud. Would the rest of Drageda come after them if he went back and blabbed? They had known where the natronas were going, so that wasn't an unlikely scenario. Sequoia couldn't recall anybody from Drageda actually hunting down somebody who had left the pack, but she had only been alive half a year. Plenty more could have happened before that.
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
There was a communication breakdown somewhere, Wildfire realized with a huffed laugh that sent a burst of warm water vapor from her jaws. She tilted her head, wondering what she might have said to mislead Kiwi. She peered at her daughter, a considering expression on her face. Misapprehensions aside, she was very intrigued by what Kiwi was saying. As much as she liked the copse, the idea of relocating here hadn't even crossed Wildfire's mind... until now.

"Are you thinking we'll stay?" Sequoia wanted to know. When Wildfire's chestnut eyes drifted to the younger girl's face, she saw the puzzlement there. She didn't answer right away. Her lips pressed together at the subsequent inquiry, then parted as her thoughts suddenly started churning. Her gaze now roved upward, combing over the silvered boughs of the naked trees, back-lit by moon and stars. It then wandered earthward again, peering at her daughter and niece standing still against a backdrop of peaceful, snowy forest.

"No, I wasn't," the mother belatedly admitted, smiling almost secretively as she stepped closer to Kiwi and nuzzled the youngster's cheek. "But now Kiwi's gone and planted a seed in my head. Hmmm..." She strode away from the two juveniles again, drawing in a deep breath of wintry air. She trapped it in her lungs until it burned, then released it in another, longer stream of wispy white.

"This could be a safe space," she murmured, mostly to herself, then added louder, "In any case, I'd really like to explore it. How about we split up, each of us going in a different direction, then meet back here in an hour and share the most interest thing we found. Sound like a plan?"
565 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Oh.  Wildfire had been talking about traveling, but Kiwi had assumed travel always ended somewhere.  Right? Add that to the fact that she kept asking about the place and Kiwi had completely jumped the rails.  Oops.

She flushed a little, but shrugged.  You just seem to really like it.  And we can't travel forever right?  Why had Wildfire wanted their opinion so badly if she wasn't intending to stay?  

Yeah ok.  A part of her balked at exploring alone, but she was too proud not to, and she was sure she could handle it.
408 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Seeds are for planting in the ground, Kiwi, she teased. She'd learned as much from Portia, although she clearly understood that Wildfire was not speaking of it in the literal sense. As for not traveling forever, Sequoia was pretty sure they could. That's what Wraen made it sound like, anyway, and Sequoia had certainly latched onto the idea that she would grow up to be just like the wandering soul. The thought pleased her.

Wildfire hadn't even gotten her last few words out before Sequoia darted away, more than up to the challenge and without any of the reservations Kiwi had. Her snout guided her this way and that, although she had no idea what she was looking for. She decided she would know when she saw it. Sequoia spent the entire time exploring every nook and cranny she could, even passing over Wildfire and Kiwi's scents a few times, before she finally found the most interesting thing.

Like a champion horse bringing in the blue ribbon, she arrived back where they had started with a giant elk patty in her mouth. And it wasn't the kind you put on a sandwich.
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
When Kiwi realized her mistake, Wildfire affectionately bumped shoulders with her. "I do like it and I'm glad you do too. I think you might've just had a stroke of genius." She favored the girl with a gentle smile, hoping she didn't feel too embarrassed. It wasn't like she'd done any harm. Quite the opposite, really.

Sequoia eagerly darted away into the trees. Kiwi seemed a lot less enthused about the game. Wildfire batted at her playfully before spinning on a lithe red heel and capering off toward the east. When she hit the river, she glided south without so much as slowing, and found something absolutely breathtaking. If Kiwi hadn't already planted the seed, her find might've done the job. Although it would take a few more days for Wildfire to realize it consciously, this discovery was (quite literally) the water that would nurture Kiwi's seedling.

She lingered for the rest of the hour before reluctantly backtracking. When she found her way back to their meeting place, she found Sequoia was already there. Wildfire took one look at her souvenir before throwing her head back and laughing as loudly as she could manage (which wasn't very, considering the scars on her throat now bared to the dim starlight).

"I couldn't bring mine back with me," Wildfire said, eyes bright. "I'll wait for Kiwi to get back before I reveal what it was."
565 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Oh now she had to find something interesting.  She watched Sequoia dart off, and her friend's enthusiasm was infectious.  She ran too, casting about.

She explored a few areas, and got sidetracked following a new scent she'd never smelled before.  What was it?  She tracked for a bit, but it was going to be too long.  Hmm.

Looking sideways, she caught sight of a strange something lying on the ground.  She nosed it, then picked it up delicately and trotted back, luckily carrying it from the correct side.  Resting softly between her teeth as she came back to meet them was a long porcupine quill.
408 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
It seemed Sequoia was the only one interested in turds. I'm not sure why this is becoming a theme for her, but I digress. Wildfire laughed at her treasure, and Sequoia only shrugged sheepishly. Couldn't all be winners, could they? Besides, she felt like Wildfire had cheated by not actually bringing anything back. Kiwi returned not long after, and she held in her mouth... something. Sequoia took a closer look. What's wrong with that feather? she asked, turning to Wildfire as if she had all the answers. It looked like the hairs on the outside had all been stripped off, and all that remained was the part in the middle.

The weird feather reminded her of Dacio, and she frowned for a moment, but she wouldn't let him ruin her fun.
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
It wasn't long before Kiwi came trotting forth from the trees, something long and slender held in her teeth. Wildfire inspected it curiously, noting the ticking and the pointy end. "I'm not sure this is a feather," she said slowly. "I think this might be a porcupine quill. Just be careful to avoid the sharp end, 'cause once it sticks you, it's stuck." She gave Kiwi a pointed (and decidedly motherly) look.

"Look what Seq found, Kiwi," Wildfire said with a mirthful look on her face, before telling them both, "The thing I found that was most interesting was way too big for me to carry back." She held her breath, peering between them and letting the anticipation grow for a few seconds before she breathlessly told them, "There's a beautiful waterfall at the base of the mountain. Not just that but while I was sitting there, staring at it, I saw a silver rainbow. It's the coolest thing. We could go check it out together before we head back home."
565 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Kiwi dropped the quill and poked at it curiously, but decided to let it stay.  Porcupine?  The spined critters didn't exactly frequent the coastal cliffs she came from, so she had never seen one.

She grinned at Sequoia too, giving her prize a good look over and a hearty sniff for good measure.  It was from something big!! Imagine hunting it.  Her eyes lit up with the thought of it.  She could just imagine herself leading the charge, directing a pack as they took down something super impressive....

Wildfire's announcement broke into her daydreams, though, and she nodded.  Okay! Waterfalls they had had a few of by the cliffs, but instead of being boring, Kiwi actually liked the sound of something familiar here.  Where there was a waterfall there was probably rocks to climb, and she could use a drink also.
408 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
She listened as Wildfire explained that it wasn't from a bird at all, nor was it a feather. Something from a "porcupine," which wasn't something Sequoia had ever heard of (or encountered, apparently). Kiwi seemed pretty interested in her (literal) shit, and Seq stepped back to let her friend have a good sniff at it. She couldn't tell exactly what Kiwi was thinking, but she sure did get all glassy-eyed for a minute there.

Wildfire suggested they go check out the waterfall she'd found, and Sequoia wagged her tail excitedly. She bounced from one side to the other, raring to go. Let's go!
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
The two girls seemed eager to check out her discovery. Shooting Sequoia a cheerful smile, she nodded and motioned for them to fall into step as she retraced her steps toward the looming mountain. As she led them to their destination, she felt a shiver of delight pass through her. It seemed impossible that she should feel such simple joy not so long after uprooting her life and suffering the fallout. But she did; she felt it furl in her belly like a toasty warm fire.

"Porcupines are like groundhogs with long teeth—quills, like the one you found—sticking out of their butts," Wildfire shared with an airy laugh, a puff of water vapor silvering the air. "They make for some challenging prey. Maybe we'll find another and hunt it here someday..." When we live here, Wildfire couldn't help but add silently, a daring feeling thrilling through her to mix with the happiness. With another laugh that echoed through the wintry night, she broke into a gallop toward the waterfall and its mysterious moonbow.