Wapun Meadow a game ever so cruel i would rather lose
sʟᴏᴡ ᴅᴇᴀᴛʜ ʙᴜᴛ ɪ ᴋᴇᴇᴘ ᴡᴀʟᴋɪɴɢ
123 Posts
Ooc — summer
Away
All Welcome 
nighttime 18th @Evien

At any other time of year the little meadow here might've been something beautiful. But not for now- winter still held the land tight in its grasp despite the arrival of March, and so the field was littered with patches of partially-melted snow. Flowers were no where to be found, and the temperatures weren't exactly vacation weather. 

Within a patch of snow Toad stood- or trembled, suffering the consequences of foolish actions. The pale--face boy keeled over, emptying the contents of his stomach onto the white floor with a gross hurling noise, over and over again. And despite his usual poker face, his expression made his disgust and discomfort clear. Tears stung sharply at the corners of his dark eyes where pure physical reaction had driven them out, looking just right next to his sourly downturned lips and furrowed brows. 

He gazed down into the vomit with sickly half-lidded eyes. Yep, there was the fish bone he'd expected to see. He coughs once, twice, and falls back onto his haunches with a great thud, hoping it was all over for now.
325 Posts
Ooc — Van
Thank you for getting this up <3

Evien rather enjoyed this weather - just beginning to warm up enough to melt the snow. Flowers would bloom soon and baby animals would be born and the world would be alive once more. It was nighttime, and the meadow was calm.

Well, mostly calm.

The sound of retching came from his left, and Evie turned in surprise. He'd thought he would be the only one out tonight, but it seemed some poor sop was as well. No doubt enjoying his night far less than Evien was, if the sound was anything to go by. The brown wolf immediately sought out the source of the smell, and soon caught wind of the wolf who'd vomited. 

It didn't take long to approach him - thankfully not from behind, because Evien didn't want to startle the poor, sick wolf. He cleared his throat and stepped around the puddle of vomit, nose wrinkling up and his own mouth flooding with saliva, but the urge to help far too strong to care. 

"That's really gross," he admitted, peering into the puddle. It reeked of fish, and a bone stuck out of it - perhaps something the boy had eaten. Green eyes flickered up to the younger wolf and he tipped his head to the side. "Do you think you're going to be sick again, or can we move you somewhere away from this mess?"
123 Posts
Ooc — summer
Away
np<3

A glance upward as a little voice kindly informs him that vomit was gross. No shit, sherlock! He thinks to exclaim, until his eyes land on the little chocolate boy who had said such a thing. Kinda pathetic looking, and... cute. Toad couldn't muster up the will to reply with anything bitey, and so he focuses on the second half of the boy's words. 

Think I'm done being sick. A pause. Another little cough, nothing comes out except a bit of spit. I'll like to move, yeah... somewhere away from this shit, He adds, standing up now and shaking out his ratty pelt. Another glance at his company with dark half-lidded eyes. And who do you think you are, some kind of guardian angel? He scoffs mockingly, a mask for the warmth he was already feeling thanks to the pretty boy.
325 Posts
Ooc — Van
In a world of what seemed like nothing but beautifully striking white fur and blue eyes, it was nice to meet someone of a more average appearance. There was something charming in that as well; something that made Evie feel more at ease in his own fur. Even if the other boy was vomiting by himself in the middle of a field at night. 

Evien relaxed a bit when the other wolf acquiesced and admitted he wanted to leave. The little wolf was about to suggest they go to a nearby creek he'd passed earlier in the day - as it wasn't far off - before the other boy mocked him. A brow rose just so and he rolled his eyes, a small smile canting his maw. "I'm saving your ass, aren't I?" he asked in return, tone even and slightly amused. Evie prodded the boy in the flank with his nose, once, before starting off in the direction of the water. "Come on, we need to get you hydrated," the teen urged, peering over his shoulder at the ill boy.
123 Posts
Ooc — summer
Away
Lucky for Toad, the boy didn't seem too bothered by his little jab, rather amused. He chuckles in return, Yeah, I guess you are. His company gives him a little poke with his nose, and easily grabs his attention. As Evie began towards the water, Toad followed eagerly, catching up alongside him to walk in parallel- wanting to feel less like a burden of a patient, and more like a new friend. 

Once they presumably arrive at the water's edge, Toad pays Evie another glance, before leaning his head down and sipping up greedy gulps of the freezing water. Gulping down a final swallow, he pulls his head up. That does feel better... how'd you know that? You a doctor, man?
325 Posts
Ooc — Van
It wasn't much in the way of doctoring, but if this made the other boy feel better, then Evien was going to take what he could get. Though he did think he saw some skunkbush not too far away that would settle a stomach if it got any worse over the night. He'd just have to keep an eye on the light-furred wolf for a little bit to make sure he didn't get sicker. 

"Officially, no," he explained, leaning down to take a few laps of the water himself before he lifted his head to look at the other boy once more. "I had a few in my family though." One good, one bad. Fortunately, he learned from both. "If you're throwing up, you need to make sure you drink a lot of water. It dehydrates you." He might as well teach a little while he was there - every wolf needed to know how to take care of themselves on a basic level. 

Evien settled down on his haunches, letting his left hind leg relax and stretch out. "I'm Evien," he finally introduced, offering the boy a smile. "How'd you end up throwing up by yourself in the middle of the night?"
123 Posts
Ooc — summer
Away
Evie clarifies that he's not exactly a doctor by title- though Toad wondered quietly to himself, at what point was someone "officially" anything? He said nothing of it though, instead taking note of the little tidbit of advice the boy gave him. If you're throwing up, you need to make sure you drink a lot of water. He stuffs it into the back of his brain for later- maybe next week he'd find himself throwing up out here again, but this time, without any pretty chocolate boy coming to save him.

Speaking of the boy though, he'd finally introduced himself as Evien. I'm Toad, He offers simply in return. At the next question he laughs, joining Evie in a seated position as he begins to explain, When I entered this area- there was a swamp, over that way- A little gesture of his wet muzzle towards the mire. Caught a couple fish in all that filth, probably shouldn't have but I ate 'em anyway. Too hungry to complain. He chuckles. 

And what about you, Evien? Why are you wandering around here at night- don't you got a pack to get home to, or something?
325 Posts
Ooc — Van
Evien was a fisherman through and through - that wasn't a secret. He probably shouldn't have been so disgusted by the idea of swamp fish, but here he was, staring at this handsome boy and wondering who in their right mind would eat a fish out of a swamp. That had to be festering with bacteria - it was no wonder this guy had gotten sick. 

"Okay, so first, you only eat fish out of clean water. If you wouldn't drink it, don't fucking eat out of it," he lectured, voice rising in pitch just slightly with stress at the very idea of consuming something out of nasty swamp water, brows drawn together in a deep frown. "It's important to keep yourself healthy, especially if you're all by yourself. Fuck." His own stomach churned at the idea. He barely even registered the other boy's odd name, but he wasn't going to comment on it. It was kind of funny that a wolf named Toad had gotten sick from a swamp. "Second, it's nice to meet you. Even if the circumstances are shitty." It was true. This companion was a far better conversationalist than most he'd run across, and his compliment was genuine, perhaps to make up for the lecture.

Brows lifted a bit at the question and he smiled amicably. "No. No pack. I've just been exploring the area for a while," he replied, turning green gaze from his companion and watching the stream under the moonlight. "I like it. There's a lot of water here. Plenty of places to fish that don't involve swamp water." Eyes flickered almost playfully back to the larger wolf then.
123 Posts
Ooc — summer
Away
When Evie begins to lecture him, Toad smirks slightly, amused by the boy's little voice. If he were a person he'd be pushing his glasses up his snotty little nose right now, feigning intelligence. Who do you think you are, my fucking mom? But no matter how ungrateful he was for advice, Toad didn't say a word, only listened as if he was really going to comply. 

Thanks for the advice, man. Really appreciate it, He lied smoothly. And then some truth, Nice to meet you too. And hey, the circumstances aren't that bad- I'm basically done puking so no big deal. He shrugs his shoulders with a playful little grin at the chocolate boy. 

No pack, huh? That's too bad... would've asked you to take me there and show me around... He flirts quietly, blowing it off as a casual statement. But when the boy tells him about places to fish being nearby, and flashes him that playful little look, Toad's heart thumps in his chest. Oh, really? Maybe we can find a spot to fish together, if you want.
325 Posts
Ooc — Van
The thing was, Evie didn't really care all that much if his advice was taken to heart or not. Just that he got to say it. The best he could do was to share what the best course of action would be, but if the others didn't listen to him then that was their problem. He'd helped where he could. 

His ears angled forward at the boy's words. "Basically done?" he questioned, eyeing him up. But then he caught the playful expression and realized he must've been joking, and his shoulders relaxed some. 

"I'm thinking of looking for one soon," he admitted, and was rather surprised to hear the words come out of his mouth. The boy hadn't realized he craved companionship so much, but it did make sense. He'd been months on his own - perhaps it was time to settle down. Find some other wolves to call home. 

A smile crossed his maw at the next words. "I'd like that," he replied genuinely, eyes crinkling just a bit. "Maybe not in the middle of the night, though." It was rather late, and Evien was tired. He'd be willing to wager the tawny boy was too.
123 Posts
Ooc — summer
Away
fade? <3

Toad laughs boyishly at the way Evie worries for a moment over his word choice. If there was one thing this guy needed to do, it was ease up. Stop taking everything so seriously and let himself go- like Toad did. Egotistically, the pale kid thought his way was best. 

When the pretty boy shares that he's searching for a home, Toad nods almost kmowingly. Me too. Gets lonely, without a home... maybe if you find one, we'll happen upon eachother again. And we could fish then... He suggests. His voice wasn't playful anymore, his tone had been something almost sad, longing- he knew their time together was coming to an end now. And the thing about strangers is that you never know if you'll see them again, and Toad gazed at the pretty little doctor for a moment, taking a picture in his mind.
325 Posts
Ooc — Van
Yeah, thank you for the thread <3

Yes, Evien did need to relax, but he hadn't yet realized it. Perhaps he could take some pages from the paler boy's book and loosen up a bit. Maybe, if he ever saw him again, it would be easier. 

It certainly did get lonely, and Evie was beginning to feel it. It was in the tug in his chest when he decided he had to leave this boy - he couldn't stay. This wasn't the right time. If they met again, perhaps, but not now. "It does get lonely," he said thoughtfully, and before he could think too hard about it, he pressed his muzzle against Toad's shoulder. A reassurance for them both that they might not be as alone as they thought. "If I find one, I'll let you know. In the meantime, stay away from swamp fish." He laughed lightly then, and, with a heavy heart and reluctant paws, turned to leave the tawny boy by the river.

It didn't feel very much like a forever goodbye.