Turtle Island take what you can, then onto the next
7 Posts
Ooc —
All Welcome 
All welcome! Overcast, 22°C, 3pm

Waves crashed against the sharp jagged rocks which formed Turtle Island's shore, casting a fine spray of salty seawater over the colony of sealions basking further up the bank. The sound of their barking and hollering was almost overwhelming as they protested loudly and aggressively to being clambered over by those wishing to return to the sea.

Marlow was not one of them. The masked silver male had only just managed to haul himself up onto the coral covered rocks. As he crouched there for a moment to catch his breath, with his dark fur slick to his skin and salty puddle forming beneath him, he almost resembled one of the noisy sea dogs. Except for his fiery amber eyes. They were hard to miss, even amongst the crowd of wriggling bodies, as he gave a long scan of the beach.

In the overcast skies above, seagulls swooped and dove through the air, calling to eachother whenever their beady eyes fell upon something of interest. The coastal wolf associated large numbers of them with the prospect of food. Marlow observed the large birds with interest, keen to see if they would signal an easy meal that he could potentially steal.
1,006 Posts
Ooc — summer
Ecologist
Master Ambassador
It was not often that Huā attempted to explore the other islands. They were few in number, small in size, and though she never could make out much from a distance, they did not seem as... full of life, as her own home was. Nevertheless though, she was the queen of the northern coast. It only seemed right that she know the land better than any other- and so that morning she awoke with an urge, which she pursued. 

Huā swam and swam, and by the time she'd reached the unfamiliar island chain, she was drenched from head to toe. A shake-out of her fur, and then she was off to explore the little place, sandy fur clumping in wet spikes. She trailed down the rocky shore of the island... and for a moment her eyes tricked her, and she thought she had found Nukilik again, washed up in a new place. 

Of course, it was just Marlow.  A handsome fellow with a warm gaze who seemed to observe the seabirds that called overhead and soared in lazy circles. Huā eyed the stranger for a moment, and then, lapping down some unruly fur upon her chest, approached. 

Hungry for bird? Or something more? She questioned as she settled onto her haunches a couple yards off.
7 Posts
Ooc —
A few moments of observation was all he needed to decide if the birds were worth pursuing. The seagulls flapped and cawed above him, and a few of them circled around, but their numbers were small. If one of them had found anything substantial, the large birds would have swarmed in like crows to carrion.

Marlow's steadfast stare faltered, his bright amber eyes drifting down to ground in mild disappointment. The male would have to work for his fill and track down a meal on his own. Or maybe not? Nostril's tingled at the faint scent of lavender which was carried to him on the sea breeze. Glancing behind him, he was surprised to spot another wolf approaching him from a couple of yards away. The sea wolf eyed the smaller female curiously, taking in her soaking sand and slate-black fur and ocean-blue eyes.

Dark ears pricked at her question. "I was hoping for something more substantial." He replied neutrally, turning then to cast his gaze over a pair of squabbling sea lions a few metres away. "You know this island well?" Marlow asked with a lift of one brow and small half-smile. Not many wolves would swim to an island simply for the sake of it. Only those in the know would be aware of the treasures it could offer.
1,006 Posts
Ooc — summer
Ecologist
Master Ambassador
As he replied that he was looking for more than gull, her gaze followed his to the comical beasts that bellowed loudly and flapped their tails upon wet stone. Were it at the shore that Yuèlóng frequented, she might've criticized him for picking off the large game so close to home. But this was nobody's land, and if he wished to hunt, she would hope him the best of luck here- perhaps assist him if he needed. 

His next question. Not this one, She replied coolly, But I learn it, soon enough. I know other island well. That one, Huā explained with a gesture of her muzzle to the distant smudge on the sea, whose great hill and spacious green forest seemed now the size of a pebble and a leaf. Funny how one's perspective changed things. Her gaze fell back to him then, inquisitive. You live here? She wondered curiously as she looked around the rather bleak place. She doubted it.
7 Posts
Ooc —
It would not be easy to take down one of the many sealions which inhabited the island, but Marlow knew from experience that it was possible. He had done it several times before, though in all cases he had be aided by family and pack mates. Now, as a lone wolf, he was at a disadvantage. There were many of them, many snapping jaws which could be aimed in his direction, and only one of him — two, if he could persuade Huā to join him. The sealions were also larger and heavier than him, so if he wanted to stand a chance of killing one he would have to be smart and strategic in his hunting. 

He focused his attention back on the smaller female, interested to learn everything he could about the island they now stood on, and those that surrounded it. Marlow's head tilted in question as she admitted to not being too familiar with the island, but did know about another island to the east. The male turned to peer out to sea in search of it. 

He frowned at her question and gave a dismissive shake of his head as his amber eyes returned to focus on Huā. "No, I just arrived here actually." He corrected her, before asking. "I assume you live on the other island then?" It would make sense since she had informed him that she knew it very well.
1,006 Posts
Ooc — summer
Ecologist
Master Ambassador
His gaze did move to the island- and she watched, wondering whether he would have any reaction. She could not read him, and instead focused on his next answer. Newly arrived. Unfamiliar with the island, and likely with the surroundings lands, then... it was too soon yet to offer him a home, she did not even know of his name, but she considered that he may want a place in which to settle and adjust. Then again... there were the wanderers, rangers, explorers, who could not bear to tie themselves to one place, destined to roam. Maybe he was one of them.  

I assume you live on the other island then? Huā nodded her dark head, gaze swiveling once more to her home. Yes. I lead pack there, is nice place, big forest and lovely beach. She hummed thoughtfully, little smile settling on her face. So, you just arrive here. You have plan for where you heading? Or just see, as you go? I come here without plan, but find myself over time where I am today. She murmured, shifting somewhat closer to him then with the newfound trust, and sitting down beside him comfortably. As she waited for an answer she would lap at her ruffled fur, squinting slightly as the taste of the saltwater and sea.
7 Posts
Ooc —
The other island had appeared to him as a mere smudge upon the ebbing sea, nothing that he could get too excited about. Not before closer inspection. So, the sea wolf simply acknowledged its existence with a nod before turning to focus back on the female, curious to find out more about her and the foreign lands which he had washed up on.

Dark ears pricked up in sudden interest when Huā mentioned she led a pack over on the western island. His warm amber eyes glinted curiously and he turned to fully face her now, his focus completely shifted away from the noisy sealions and onto the more eloquent wolf. Marlow mirrored the small female's smile with one of his own. Her island sounded lovely, idyllic even, and not too disimilar from his place of birth. That hint of something familiar struck a chord inside his heart. It was enough to lure him in emotionally, physically too, as he now moved to slowly close the distance between them. 

"No plan, I've just been island hopping up until now." Marlow admitted with a casual shrug of his shoulders. "Your island, you make it sound so lovely." He said with a smile, glancing back across out sea to peer at the dark smudge of land. "I should like to visit it, if I may?" Marlow asked then, his amber gaze meeting hers once more, his expression sincere as she moved to settled down beside him. The sea wolf shifted down to rest on his own haunches, his fur still slick and dripping wet with sea water. 

It seemed though, that he had forgotten his manners. He swept a salmon pink tongue across his maw and pressed back his ears in apology. "Forgive my lack of manners, I'm Marlow." He greeted with a boyish smile. "It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance, your majesty." Marlow gave a polite dip of his head. He always had been a bit of a charmer when it suited him.
1,006 Posts
Ooc — summer
Ecologist
Master Ambassador
It seemed others were always charmed by Huā's description of her home. To her, it really was paradise- and so it was hard for the empress to see any of it's bad qualities, even moreso would be to acknowledge them. When she spoke of a treasure, an oasis, she really meant it- because the isle was safe from the evils of the outside world, populated by her friends and family.

Perhaps when Mar arrived he would not find it as enchanting as he did now, as it would not have the same meaning... but Huā was not going to shut down his expectations. The siren believed any who stuck around long enough would find in the place what she found. And so, it was rather understandable why one such as Strand would go to such great lengths to attempt to steal it back... but of course, nature had favored Yuèlóng there. 

Ah, an island hopper. Intriguing, and she was sure he had seen many places more interesting than herself. Once Huā had been a beach hopper in the months before, but had never visited an island before the one where she now made home. Both the scout and naturalist in her heart wished to hear the stories of his visits... but later on, perhaps. 

It is lovely, She purred, no exaggeration to her, You can visit in the coming day. I make sure you welcome with open arm, and stay long as you want. Huā agreed. As he introduced himself with a smile, she was charmed- enjoying something about this fellow who seemed to live his life with such freedom. Like the hero of a tale. Your majesty caused her cheeks to warm as her ears flattened shyly to her skull, bashful. Huā might never get used to such pompous terms... though it did feel great to be respected. Marlow, I very happy to meet you. I am Huā Jiang... ah, of Yuèlóng- my pack. She returned with a bow of her head in spite of her rank, before shifting back to her original position.
7 Posts
Ooc —
The way Huā spoke about her island home truly intrigued Marlow. He was interested to see if it really did resemble his own native home, or if it would differ in some unexpected ways. Every land he visited held its own charm, after all. The inhabitant too. He would have been lying if he said that Huā did not posess some charm about her. The sea wolf was certainly enjoying her company thus far.

"I can't wait. Perhaps you can show me around, if you have time?" Marlow responded, a genuine smile tugging at the corners of his dark lips, in light of her offer. The female seemed a little embarassed when he addressed her by her formal title, though Marlow brushed it off as nothing when she failed to correct him on it. The silver male was the type of value traditions, which included treating surperiors with the respect they deserved. To lead a pack was no easy feat, only those truly worthy of such a title were able to hold on to it for long.

Marlow comitted the female's name and pack to memory as she mentioned them, his warm amber eyes studying her expression as Huā introduced herself. Dark lashes blinked shut as she dipped her head, a subtle sign of acknowledgement, before he watched her settled back down comfortably beside him. The male however shifted up onto his paws and moved a couple of strides away before finally shaking out his coat, sending a spray of salty water over the nearby sealions and hovering gulls. He turned back to Huā with a half grin on his face and a mischevious glint in his amber eyes as he looked over his shoulder, checking to make sure he had not caught her in his spray, before he asked. "You mentioned wanting to learn more about this island, fancy exploring it together?" 
1,006 Posts
Ooc — summer
Ecologist
Master Ambassador
if you want to wait to start the next thread so as not to make assumptions, that's fine! : ) but since a few days have passed if you throw up a thread on WGI I'll hop in! or I can start one if you wish : )

And as Marlow enjoyed Huā's company, her charm, so did she value his. His warm smile and gentle manner had her nodding an eager yes to his question. Of course, I will be your tour guide, She laughed. It was good, too- she was not suspicious that he would pull anything terrible there, but sometimes people were not what they seemed. Her own cousin came to mind, and she sliced the thought away- but Huā appreciated the chance to keep an eye on him and his actions. No children could be harmed, no food stolen- and yet if he asked kindly she would not mind gifting a meal in return for his good behavior there. 

She watched as Mar pulled himself upwards, shaking out his stormy coat onto the nearby stones and gazing around, and then back to her. That sparkle in his eye, that grin- she could tell he had an idea, and as he began to ask his question Huā was already standing up to join him, shaking out her own damp pelt in turn. His mischievous grin was mirrored on her own dark maw. Sure. She hummed, coming to join him at his side. Seaglass eyes swiveled over the rocky island, but there wasn't much to see. Not a tree in sight- though ferns and shrubbery dotted the place here and there. Huā paid him an awkward glance, not yet finding any one thing that drew her... but perhaps it would be discovered as they went. So she scampered forward, scaling the rising stones slowly while waving her tail, as if signaling him to follow.
7 Posts
Ooc —
Marlow flashed the dark-hooded female another smile, delighted that she was personally willing to show him around her island home in the coming day. It signalled to him that she trusted him, and enjoyed his company enough to take some time out of her busy schedule to indulge him with a tour. The grey male wondered if her subordinates would also join them, giving him a chance to mingle with the native coastal wolves, or if it would remain a private arrangement. He wasn't put off either way, for he predicted he would enjoy the experience whatever the outcome. 

Relieved that he had not managed to spray Huā whilst shaking out his pelt he paused a moment, water dripping from his dark grey coat, as he waited for the smaller to join him. She did so without much hesitation, seemingly just as curious as he about the island they now stood on. However, upon first glance, it seemed that the island did not have much to offer except the noisy sealions and cawing gulls. Noticing Huā's awkward glance, Marlow's ears dropped and his dark brows pinched together as he turned to inspect the scenery again, determined to spot something of interest. 

It seemed Huā was not yet willing to give up on exploring either, for she pushed forwards, scaling the uneven rocks with ease before silently signalling for him to follow. Marlow trailed after her, easily balancing on the wet rocks as he had done time and time before. Though the island seemed lifeless, he knew that treasures could always be found, as long as you knew where to look. Catching up to her, he snaked his way forwards whilst weaving from one small patch of vegetation to the next, jaws snapping to scare off any gulls which might have been resting there. He knew from experience that it was the time of year when seagull chicks began to hatch out of their eggs, which meant that there had to be nests around which were ripe for pillaging.
1,006 Posts
Ooc — summer
Ecologist
Master Ambassador
As the pair traced their way up the island, Marlow snapped here and there at the birds that tried to settle, causing a warm smirk to settle on the siren's face. Part of her feared their wrath; an angry bird could be quite a hassle, but luckily for them seagulls were not the fiercest of avian beasts. Some would let out cries but ultimately they were easy enough to part, like a sea, and Huā joined in, snapping pearly fangs to any in their path. She weaved their way upwards upon the stones as they went, and most of the scenery looked the same, but now she was on a lookout for nests too.

Finally she snapped to one that did not wish to go without a fight. It reared upward, exposing the nest of chicks that sat underneath it, flapping its wings wildly and screeching. Huā's ears flattened to her head at the noise, but she leaned out to snap more fiercely this time- catching it as it tried to make a final futile attempt at escape, to save itself, if anything. She dragged it back to earth, snapping its neck in a matter of seconds and laying it beside the chicks. They were too small to go anywhere, and she could not even tell whether their eyes were open, but they squealed wildly, sensing the warmth that had vanished from above them. Huā turned her gaze to Mar, happy about the bounty they had found here. She was a sweet woman, but prey was prey, and she was eager to devour the miniature feast.

After they had eaten together and explored a little farther, Huā eventually took her leave, bidding him goodbye but happy that they would soon see eachother again.