Cassiopeia's View murmur of yearning
XII. The Hanged Man
74 Posts
Ooc — Werge
All Welcome 
A successful string of hunts had led the four-year-old wolf further into the mountains. It was the first good turn of events he'd seen since he'd started his trek south-westward, having him beaming at least for the duration of him being full and happy. Perhaps things were starting to look up for him, his journey would soon have to come to an end either way. His belly poked out awkwardly from his skinny body, fattened by his most recent meals but not yet having enough time to build his muscle back from months of slim pickings. Yet.

Here and now, he sat along the edge of the high shelf quietly surveying the amazing view of the land below, with his tail wrapped daintily around his awkwardly large front paws. In his view he could see a sea of forests, valleys, distant peaks looming in the distance... He could even see a part of what he believed was a large lake. There was so much here, and he could smell the variance on the wind wafting up from below.

As well as other wolves.

With Autumn raising her beautiful head, Winter's frigid maw wouldn't be far behind her to make his life harder. It would be the first Winter he may actually spend alone, and that wasn't a thought that brought him comfort at all. He was sure many wolves can and have successfully survived a winter as a lone wolf, but he'd become accustomed to hunting with another. It had been so long since he'd suceeded an elk hunt on his own- not since his second year when he started his dispersal. He simply hadn't needed to since then, there was always another by his side to work with him in mutual favor.

But things change like the leaves, don't they? He could feel a soft sadness tugging at his heart and he pushed those thoughts to the back of his head, coming to focus instead on his current view with a hopeful glint in his eye. The brown wolf could hear very distant howls being carried on the wind. The songs of his brethren tempted the instincts deep within his soul to be a part of something again. 
600 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
this is probably a mistake but I missed him, so here we gooooo

i made some assumptions, so this might be subject to edit <3 

It took some time for Ashlar to return here.  He'd gone home, to mama and Baba, and in that time he'd helped them with the new arrivals.  He still could not believe that he was a big brother now, but the weight of that responsibility fell on his shoulders with thought.

He could not teach what he did not know.  Returning to the familiar wouldn't work either, as he considered going back to Legion, or to where Liffey and her family had moved so long ago.  They had all found their places, and now, Ashlar needed to look for his own.  It was a search that might well take him back to Mona's side, but after a quiet conversation with his parents, he knew that he wished to travel first.

Autumn agreed with Ashlar.  He breathed in the damp scent of the leaves deeply, then exhaled as he walked.  He let the breath carry into a quiet humming melody.  Before winter he would need to find a place.  Ashlar considered this, his golden eyes alight with the excitement and nerves of it.  He had grown from youth to a lanky adult, identical to his grandfather, but not dissimilar from his adopted father either.  Mona's vivid heart lightly held beneath Gannet's quiet hesitance.

Ashlar was observant, and he noticed the other wolf almost as soon as he drew into view, the quiet humming tapering to a halt.  He was always anxious with strangers and felt himself clam up, but he knew it would be rude to simply pass without saying anything.  He was a traveler here.  H...hello,  he said, in a voice barely loud enough to be carried.  He could not bring himself to yell.
XII. The Hanged Man
74 Posts
Ooc — Werge
The sound of humming and paw-steps became noticeable before he could see anyone, ears keeping tabs on the faint sounds before finally turning his head when it seemed to stop. His eyes spotted the stranger a ways behind him, another brown wolf somewhat akin to himself in build from what he could tell. The sound of a quiet Hello had just barely reached his darker ears, and he questioned if he'd even heard him right before deciding to respond.

Hello. Came the pointed wolf's bland reply. He wasn't exactly a social butterfly either, but having been so long since he'd been in the presence of another wolf, he definitely felt compelled to try.

... What song were you humming?
600 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
He hadn't realized the other wolf might hear.  Ashlar flushed bashfully, but managed to answer.  This is woof seemed friendly from first impression, or at least not unfriendly.

Oh... it's n...nothing, just some notes I like.  It wasn't one of mama's but one he had heard in his head at the moment.  Do you live here?  My name is Ashlar.  His name sounded weird in his ears.  It had been a long time since he had to introduce himself to another wolf, but he was glad that his voice stayed steady.
XII. The Hanged Man
74 Posts
Ooc — Werge
It was pleasant. Henryk replied. Truthfully he hadn't actually heard that much of it to say whether it was or wasn't but, he thought it was a nice thing to say nonetheless.

Ashlar. He'd keep that in mind, or at least try to. He found it much harder to memorize words over places. My name's Henryk. I actually just arrived here recently. I'm... still getting acquainted. There seems to be a lot to get acquainted with. He contemplated, casting his gaze across the view again.

You?
600 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Oh!  Uh, thanks.  His appreciation might be muted, but Ashlar's smile that followed these words was not.  He was deeply touched by the unexpected compliment, and practically glowed with it.

No.. I just left home.  So I'm trying to find... he trailed off.  Not because he was shy, but because as he started, he realized he did not know an honest resolution to that sentence.  What was he trying to find?

I guess I don't know.  he finished after a brief pause, dropping his eyes to the ground sheepishly.  He really didn't feel at all an adult yet; adults, in Ashlar's mind, knew what they wanted to make of themselves.  And much as his parents reassured him, he knew he would need to find something soon enough.
XII. The Hanged Man
74 Posts
Ooc — Werge
Ashlar's smile didn't miss him, tugging at the corner of his own lips. Dark scruffy tail gave a few pleasant wags at his feet, slowly coming to cease when the man's gaze dropped to the ground sheepishly. He understood his hesitance in that aspect... Though only now did he realize upon looking over him in the silence, the other brown wolf looked a bit young- definitely younger than him- although right now he probably more closely resembled an overgrown adolescent himself.

His darkened head slowly began to bob with a knowing nod, seeming to space out for a quiet moment- letting the wind roll past them idly before he spoke up again. Ah. We're in the same position then. I... also don't know what I'm looking for... The man admitted, but with noticeably less doubt in his voice than the other had despite the hesitant wording.

But that doesn't necessarily... Have to be a bad thing. You have time to explore. His voice was as dull as it ever was but beneath it, he tried his best to sound reassuring. He was definitely far from knowing his greater purpose in this land or even if he had one at all, but at least for the moment, he was free to find out.
600 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
This wolf was kind.  Ashlar was put at ease by this and settled gently into the pattern of his words, riveted.  It did not make sense to him that someone like this felt the same.  He had seemed so sure!  How do you know when you find it? he asked, almost eagerly.

It felt extremely good to be validated in his explorations.  In time, shorter than even he could imagine, they'd grow tiresome.  But right now they were still new and still exciting; he reveled in it even as he stressed.  It was freeing to admit that the lack of role was okay when he did not know yet a role he wanted.
XII. The Hanged Man
74 Posts
Ooc — Werge
The man's head slowly cocked to the side. Before he decided to answer the boy's question he pat the ground near him, quietly inviting the other brown male to sit if he wished. He was free to decline and wouldn't fault him for doing so.

That's hard for me to say... I think it's different for everyone. He started, pausing for a moment to contemplate further. ...It could be something that never gets boring to you... Or something you never shut up about. The last sentence he remarked with a jocund huff. One of his brothers was a naturalist who favored the stars in his family pack, and they poked fun at him for constantly- as he'd ramble on and on and on despite being told that the others had no idea what he was even saying. He simply enjoyed it, and was passionate about it.

As for himself, he'd always had difficulty with finding his place. He still did.

Just try things and see what drives you the most. For me... I love to travel. So I'll probably find myself in something that has to do with that. Maybe... Probably.
600 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Ashlar eagerly accepted the invitation to sit, staring with a face much akin to one famous Miles from one famous gif.  What the man said made a lot of sense, but it was still a hard decision.  Ashlar wasn't sure anything ever did get boring to him, yet he was not sure there was anything he always wanted to do.  Certainly he shut up about a lot of things, but he was good at shutting up in general. 

Do you travel alone? Ashlar thought perhaps he had loved to travel, but he had found he much preferred traveling with Baba to alone.  He was glad the man had found something for himself, but he could not help wondering if he would ever be so lucky.  I... I guess I like helping.  But that isn't specific.  He was happy to hunt with someone, or travel with someone, or view the stars with someone.  All of these things lost their joy when done alone.  His features fell into a thoughtful frown as he listened for an answer.
XII. The Hanged Man
74 Posts
Ooc — Werge
I haven't always. Came his somewhat somber reply. He did travel with a friend most of his days, all through the second and a half years of his life. But he didn't care to dwell on the outcome of his former friend, as it was what drove him as far away from his homeland as possible. But sometimes... Things change. And I find myself alone these days.

He wasn't sure if he liked it or not either. Introverted as he was, he liked having the option of interaction and was actually uncomfortable with feeling isolated for too long. He was perpetually caught in the middle of being an awkward soul who wanted to be more social at times but found it hard to have the energy or the charisma to maintain such a connection. 

Dark ears wavered slightly at the young male's words, followed by a frown that Henryk felt was sorely unneeded. It doesn't have to be specific. If you like helping... That is a valuable task in of itself. Follow that, and see where it goes.

Ashlar didn't need to feel bad about that, not to him at least. A helpful wolf made for a great pack member, whether they had focus on a specific task or not. He had time to find there his heart would take him... Though he understood his worry. As a new adult it did feel like he had to figure out everything right away.

It was actually his former friend that taught him to explore beyond the societal pressure... It was a shame things turned out the way they did.
600 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Oh. Sorry.  Ashlar was sad to hear that, but at least Henryk was nice.  He did not seem too upset or lonely.  It did not occur just then for Ashlar to ask if he could come with the man, but in a few days, he would be kicking himself for missing the chance.  

I will, he promised, and his respect and adoration for the older man's wise words was clear in his voice.  It was almost a little reverent.   B- Papa and mama always said to do my best, and all would be well.  I think, m...maybe that's what they meant?  That was easier, and Ashlar hoped it was so.  The young wolf would have a much easier time navigating if he could lean into his enjoyment for helping rather than stressing over excelling alone.
XII. The Hanged Man
74 Posts
Ooc — Werge
The chocolate-colored man smiled. Of course! Don't worry so much, just keep doing your best and doing what you love. He reiterated softly, then suddenly turned his gaze up to the sky with the realization that the light had receded from them considerably. He turned back to the young male with light concern on his face.

It's gonna be dark soon... Climbing the mounts up or down might be harder at night. You can stay up here, if you need to. He offered politely, but Ashlar had full room to decline if he had somewhere else to be or anything else in mind really. As for Henryk he'd continue doing much of the same, maybe stare at the stars for a while so he can try to catch that rare occurrence of one of them falling from the sky- or zipping across it. Unless of course the clouds would roll in and squash those plans completely.
600 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
last for me! Thanks for the thread, Henryk is so cute!

When night came, that was the only time Ashlar truly felt alone.  In the dark he missed the company of a pack, mama curled nearby, their relatives patrolling the forests and speaking quietly around.  Henryk's offer was full of kindness and Ashlar could not have refused even if he did have elsewhere to be.

Thanks.  He lifted his eyes and smiled at the stars.  For the next while, he slowly began to speak, telling tales that mama had told him of them, facts and stories.  He listened in return as Henryk spoke and, at some point, fell quietly asleep in the company of the kind man.

WC: 106
XII. The Hanged Man
74 Posts
Ooc — Werge
Yes thank you so much!! I enjoyed their dynamic, Ashlar is precious <3

The man was pleased he stayed, and even more so that he decided to share some of his family's tales. So he would do the same, telling Ashlar about the legends of the four seasonal winds, and the wolves that personified them. He'd speak lovingly about Autumn's beautiful pelt, Spring's vibrant eyes, Summer's hot temper, and Winter's frigid touch. And then as the young male fell asleep he'd point out the stars, only then realizing that the boy had nodded off. He'd stay awake a bit longer in thoughtful quiet, before tucking his nose under his tail and falling asleep as well.