Duskfire Glacier When you were young
187 Posts
Ooc — hela
All Welcome 
@Calida @Lane
i know you have 80 billion threads, zoo D= we'll try to make this short
set for directly after this thread

He was happy that the injured woman agreed to follow him to the glacier. With her injury, it would be unsafe for her to be on her own, and it wouldn't have sat right with the northerner to just let her go her own way.

Tuulu worried the trip would be more than she could handle, but she made it. He had made sure to keep a slower pace on the way home, too, whether or not she would admit she needed it. 

When they reached the borders, he immediately called for Lane. If she could just tend to the wound and then tell him how to care for woman while she rested, then he could handle the rest.
604 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Medic
Ambassador
Ranger
No apologies necessary! I'm just so happy to see Calida came back!

Lane answered Tuuluuwaq's call quickly, wondering what sort of trouble he'd gotten himself into this time. His leg would have barely had time to heal. Lane hoped this call didn't mean it had worsened. 

Lane was delighted to see Calida was with Tuuluuwaq. Had she been recruited, then? Good for Tuuluuwaq! Calida had been a tough one to crack. Lane hadn't managed to inspire any interest in Duskfire Glacier herself, but maybe it hit a little differently when the invitation was issued by a strapping, northern gentleman with chocolate eyes. 

Lane's smile dropped away when she drew close enough to see Calida's face. Lane wasn't stellar at reading emotions, but she could absolutely tell when someone wasn't feeling good. 

"What's wrong, Calida?" she asked. Her gaze flickered to Tuuluuwaq briefly before landing back to the shy woman.
162 Posts
Ooc — The System
Hey Elle! I edited your post with the code you were asking about, so you could see it for yourself in action. Just click the "edit" -> "full edit" buttons at the bottom of the post to get to the edit screen. <3 Zoo

Calida couldn't miss the heavy scent of many wolves lingering in the area, and it set her teeth on edge, try as she might to dispel her anxieties. She realized they must be at the borders when Tuuluuwaq called for Lane. Her balance being shaky at best, she decided a sitting position would be best. The world around her span dizzily in and out of focus, so much so that she didn't even notice when Lane had joined them. It was only when she heard Lane speak that she flinched slightly, then tried - and failed - to stand.

"Sorry, Lane - I... I hit my head..." Calida didn't want to explain how she'd almost drowned, and had it not been for Tuuluuwaq's interference, would be dead. Instead, she glanced hastily at the male, then back to Lane, before bowing her head slightly so Lane could get a look. She had to close her eyes against the spinning world, as nausea was swiftly settling in. She felt like she could vomit - only she'd not eaten anything decent in a week.

Breathing slowly to combat the nausea, she said through gritted teeth, "I didn't want anyone else to see me - he had to convince me..." Grimacing, she added, "Though I think he was right to bring me. I... don't feel very good."
Physical Health (100/100)

Calida is healthy.

Mental Health (100/100)

Calida is mentally well.
187 Posts
Ooc — hela
The woman's story about meeting Lane previously checked out. It was clear they already knew each other. 

She also fell into the river, he added. It was important for Lane to have all the information. I didn't think it was safe to let her continue on her own without getting her injury addressed.

He could tell Calida didn't feel well without her saying it, but he still looked her over with concern. He glanced back to Lane. I thought she needed a safe place to rest, as well. But since she doesn't feel comfortable with multiple wolves, I thought about finding her somewhere just outside the territory. He looked between the two women. I can stay with her keep watch, he said next. Then his dark gaze settled on Calida. If that is okay with you. We can probably figure something else out if not.

Then he looked back to the alphess, waiting for her instruction.
604 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Medic
Ambassador
Ranger

Mature Content Warning

This thread has been marked as mature. By reading and/or participating in this thread, you acknowledge that you are of age or have permission from your parents to do so.

The participants have indicated the following reason(s) for this warning: trigger warning for mention of self harm/suicide

Between the two of them, the whole story emerged. Lane fixed her gaze on Calida, concern and curiosity evident in her expression. The woman looked positively green, like she was going to toss her cookies on Tuuluuwaq's feet at any moment. 

"I would like to treat her for a concussion," Lane imparted, "And have her on observation for dry-drowning." If the woman started to dry-drown, there wouldn't be much they could do for her, but at least she would be safe and warm when she passed. "She'll need to stay nearby, where I can treat her, for at least a week." 

Tuuluuwaq's heart was in the right place, but his suggestion to settle her outside the territory was a bit impractical. Even if he was completing the bulk of the observation, Lane would still need to regularly visit for check-ups. 

"I'll tell you what," she began, looking to strike some middle ground with Tuuluuwaq. "I'll take her to the medicine den by the lake--" Tuuluuwaq would be familiar with it; it was where Lane had treated his hunting injury. "--for intitial treatment. Once she's treated, if she's up for it, we can move her just outside the territory.. by the Qeya River, maybe." It would be a short move, at least. 

"Do you want to run ahead and start digging out a den in a good spot by the Qeya River?" Lane asked Tuuluuwaq hopefully. She had something important she wanted to ask Calida, but she didn't want to do it in front of Tuuluuwaq. 

Once he departed, Lane would ask Calida directly, "Calida, just answer me yes or no. Did you jump into the river because you wanted to hurt yourself?" If Calida was a suicide risk, that would be important to know. But also, Lane couldn't think of any other reason she would be in the river at this time of year.
162 Posts
Ooc — The System
sorry for the delay/shortness! got a sick niece at home :(

Tuuluuwaq and Lane conversed, with Calida struggling to follow the conversation. When Tuuluuwaq spoke to her, she didn't quite know what to say. Instead, she looked to Lane, who mentioned a lake den, then gave the male further directions. Calida watched him leave, then turned her fuzzy gaze back on Lane. "Hurt myself?" she echoed blankly. "N-no... I was trying to cross the river... the ice was like stepping stones... only I didn't make the last jump." She recounted this with difficulty, as nothing was making sense at the moment.

Calida is healthy.

Mental Health (100/100)

Calida is mentally well.
187 Posts
Ooc — hela
nw! <3

Lane's plane was sensible, and it made more sense than his own. He hadn't realized how long the woman would take to heal, either. He was thankful Calida had decided to come back with him. 

Lane wanted to treat her first at the medicine den he knew by the lake. And then she would let her stay somewhere close by. Tuulu nodded to show his acceptance of the new plan. When she asked him to go ahead and start building a den, he nodded again. Yes, of course, he said.

Then he turned and left Calida to the healer, knowing she was in good paws.
604 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Medic
Ambassador
Ranger
I believe Tuuluuwaq is exited, so @Calida may be posted next.

"Okay."

Calida said she wasn't suicidal, and so that's how Lane would proceed. Honestly, Lane didn't really have the bandwidth or even the desire to prevent a suicide if that was truly the intention. She would offer help where and if it was requested, but what a wolf did with their own life was ultimately their choosing. 

She would lead Calida to the medicine den beside the meltwater lake, and then she would assess her cognitive functioning. She would check her memory-- for recent events as well as those which were more distant. She would supply Calida with some anti-inflammatory medication (for the headache) and an herbal remedy for nausea. After diagnosing a mild concussion, Lane would ask Calida if she preferred to rest here within the Duskfire territory, of if she would like to make her way to the den that Tuuluuwaq prepared. 

"What do you think? Do you want to rest here, or do you want to go find Tuuluuwaq and see about your den?" It would really just depend on how she was feeling.
162 Posts
Ooc — The System
"I'd like to stay here for now," Calida said; the brain fog was lifting, and she could think a bit more clearly now - she was even beginning to remember exactly how she'd injured herself. Almost drowning somehow made Calida much less fond of water now, or at least, less fond of fast rivers. Glancing up to Lane, she continued, "And I was hoping I could stay in Duskfire for the winter." Plans could always change, but she knew it was best to stay here for now. And after all, Calida felt like she owed Tuuluuwaq and Lane a debt for saving her life.

Calida is healthy.

Mental Health (100/100)

Calida is mentally well.
604 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Medic
Ambassador
Ranger
Calida's sudden change of heart surprised Lane. Was this just the head injury talking? Or maybe Calida really had taken to Tuuluuwaq-- he had saved her life after all, and those chocolate eyes were very dreamy. 

"You are welcome to stay through winter, and longer if you like. You'll hold the entry rank of theta." When Calida was healed ready to start contributing to the pack, she could come to Lane for direction on how to start earning a better position in the ranks. 

"Rest now," Lane requested, "I'm going to go find Tuuluuwaq and tell him the good news." He would need to be told that a den outside the border was no longer required, as Calida had decided to join the pack. 

"Welcome, Calida," Lane would say with a smile before she turned to leave. It was not favorable circumstances that had brought the new recruit to her doorstep, but adding a member to their ranks was certainly a silver lining.
162 Posts
Ooc — The System
sorry for the delay! so excited for future plots <3 @Lane

"Thank you." These two simple words were spoken with a quiet sort of fervor, and Calida exhaled slowly as she relaxed herself into a laying position. It meant a lot to her, to be accepted without question; as of right now, she would be a burden to the pack, at least until she healed. And after that? She certainly knew what she would like to do... Calida had always wanted to be strong - a warrior of unrivaled strength. Perhaps it was the concussion, but Calida could see herself in her mind's eye, older, wiser... stronger. And in some ways, she was already strong; she was hot-headed at times, but she'd never given in to what life had thrown at her thus far. But no... she wanted a warrior's strength. As Lane turned to leave, Calida spoke.

"When I'm better... I want to learn to fight. Or patrol the borders at first. I'm - well, you already know I'm... a loner," she chuckled, then yawned. "Thank you, again, Lane. I... I owe you." When Lane left, Calida would rest her head on her paws, her gaze on the entrance to the den. She wasn't able to truly relax until half an hour had passed, but finally, Calida fell into deep sleep.

Calida is healthy.

Mental Health (100/100)

Calida is mentally well.
604 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Medic
Ambassador
Ranger
Calida's request to learn the mercenary trade was a bit out of the blue, but by no means unwelcome. "Of course," Lane agreed. It was great that Calida was already brainstorming how she might contribute, although she really needed to be resting. "We have others who're training in those areas too. You'll fit in well." In time, Lane would introduce her to Veteran, who was also an aspiring guardian. She was sure they would get along; Veteran had a way of drawing others out of their shells. 

"You already know I'm... a loner."

"Not anymore," Lane replied. She turned away with a half-smile pulling at the corner of her mouth. 

Calida thanked Lane once more, and Lane nodded. "You're welcome." She had no doubt that Calida would make a fine pack wolf, and she would be well worth whatever time and resources she required to get better. 

Lane departed the medicine den, headed for the southern border in hopes of finding Tuuluuwaq before he put too much effort into constructing an unnecessary den.