Redsand Canyon I'm a woman, Mary. I can be as contrary as I choose.
856 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Master Ambassador
Advisor
Coach
All Welcome 
"Malila? May I enter?" Ruenna called softly outside of the little cubby in the canyon wall that she knew to be @Malila's room. She was aware that Malila had sparred with Germanicus earlier in the day, and so she carried with her a salve that Malila could apply for her aches and bruises. It was, perhaps, a peace offering-- if the girl was willing to accept it.

Ruenna experiences chronic lower back pain as a result of an accident from over a year ago. She moves with a very obvious, heavy limp.
175 Posts
Ooc — Mai
Malila had in fact, been meaning to speak with the Matrona very soon. She had planned to seek her out when the soreness riddling her muscles had subsided. That was still a day or two off yet. Groaning, she shifted uncomfortably on the ruddy floor of her den. She had acquired any pelts to line it with, but she did manage to make due with a thin layer of dry grass, yellowed from the cold.

As she got up to move about in a circle, curling for the twentieth time to try and reposition herself, she heard Ruenna's voice outside. It surprised her, blue and yellow eyes darting to the entrance in a flash. She barely hesitated. "Yes, please come in." Her voice was tired but not strained. Gingerly she laid down, towards the back of her dwelling. She had never worked her body so hard like that in her life.
856 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Master Ambassador
Advisor
Coach
Ruenna place the herb bundle on the floor of the den. It contained a majority of daisy greens, as well as a bit of dried lavender and marjoram. 

"I was pleased to hear that you trained with Germanicus," Ruenna noted softly. Her pride in the girl was evident in her warm expression. "How do you feel? These herbs can be made into a salve for your muscles." She nudged the bundle toward Malila. There was also a hunk of willow bark in the bundle, which could be chewed to relieve pain.

Ruenna experiences chronic lower back pain as a result of an accident from over a year ago. She moves with a very obvious, heavy limp.
175 Posts
Ooc — Mai
She glanced down to the herb bundle briefly. She could inspect it later, for she was more interested in what the Matrona was saying. "It was...difficult. But worth it. I learned a lot." She shifted, to try and get more comfortable. Going by the passing expressions of discomfort crossing her face, she was sore. "As for how I feel...everything hurts. I never used my body like that before."

Despite how she felt, Malila was not complaining. "Thank you for bringing this..." She nudged the bundle gently. "I'll use them as you recommend." A pair of yellow and blue eyes searched for her own. "I am glad you stopped by, actually. I...wanted to apologize for the way I conducted myself a few days ago. I was too hasty." Her ears splayed down, hoping the apology would be accepted. She would not end it there though. She wanted to try and keep an open mind, and learn further.
856 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Master Ambassador
Advisor
Coach
Ruenna nodded encouragingly, listening to Malila's impressions of her training session. Ruenna thought she sounded optimistic about it; there may be hope yet that Malila could choose a path as an auxilia. 

Ruenna was even more pleased to hear that Malila had rethought her hasty answer. She accepted the apology readily. "You're forgiven, Malila. It was a lot to process all at once, and I understand the feelings you expressed. I also wanted to apologize. I spoke too harshly. Truthfully, my feelings were hurt. In the moment, it felt like you were belittling my position here, and that of the other wives." Ruenna searched Malila's face. 

"We are already fighting tooth and nail for the sliver of respect we receive from the soldiers. If I can't convince my own civilians that we serve a purpose here, how am I ever going to convince the soldiers?" They were big questions to pose to such a very young woman, and Ruenna didn't really expect an answer. She just wanted Malila to understand the extent of the situation here, and why it was so important that they stuck together and supported one another.

175 Posts
Ooc — Mai
The Matrona extended an apology of her own. Malila didn't see it coming and exhaled softly, visibly grateful that they were back on even ground. Truthfully, she felt that Ruenna didn't owe her anything. She shook her head, shuffling forward to gently place the bottoms of her paws against the others. "That was never my intention. I never meant to disrespect you and your ways."

"But...I can already see why you fight so hard to earn the respect of the soldiers. It mustn't be easy." She sympathized with her struggles. She reached out with her muzzle, a hairs touch away. "Please, tell me then. Tell me what it is like to be a wife in Mereo? I said I am determined to learn and I want to show you by having an open mind." Maybe marriage would not be so bad after all...
856 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Master Ambassador
Advisor
Coach
Ruenna nodded. She believed that Malila hadn't meant to be disrespectful. She was just overwhelmed, and still adjusting. 

Malila wanted to know what it was like to be a wife. Ruenna smiled, and there was a hint of shyness in her expression. "Ah.. well, I can't speak to much experience. I haven't been a wife in Mereo all that long... Mereo is still young, as is my marriage to Germanicus." Maybe Malila was not aware of just how new everything was here in the canyon. 

"It will be up to us, as the first wives of Mereo, to set the precedent. This is an exciting thing," Ruenna assured Malila. "As a wife, you would have more time to pursue your interests and develop your skills with medicine and herbs. You would not have to work around the regimented schedule of a soldier." If Malila joined the auxilia, the free time she would have for her studies with Aquene would be limited-to-none.

175 Posts
Ooc — Mai
She nodded, understanding of Ruenna in that she, in her role, and Mereo itself was young. "Yes, but still, who better than to learn from the best?" Her soft voice had a playful edge. Malila knew more of the Matrona and Imperator best, as a couple, than she did Tamar and Arsenio. Another married pair, neither of whom she had gotten to know personally yet.

Her tail tapped the floor of the den gently, her eyes visibly brightening when Ruenna affirmed she'd be able to pursue her interests as a wife. Just as quickly, a small dose of confusion followed. "But aren't you and Aquene already qualified medics?" She tipped her head in an innocent, cute way. Typical of her personality. "I could try to hone my skills elsewhere, if you don't need a third medic." 

She chewed her lip, glancing down to her paws while digesting the information. "Not having a strict schedule does sound nice. Fighting...was never something I was much interested in. I just...wanted to know I could hold my own, you know?" She looked up to the Matrona, to see if she understood. "Ever since I was little, plants fascinated me. I was...happy just being immersed in them. Studying." Her brows pinched, softly. "If I were to stay a civilian, would I have to find a suitor? Is it mandatory? And what if none of the men express an interest in me?" She shook her head quickly, her voice becoming apologetic. "Sorry for all the questions...I just...really wanna make sure I have the facts straight here."
856 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Master Ambassador
Advisor
Coach
Malila spoke her praise sweetly, and despite the playfulness in her tone Ruenna couldn't help but feel like she was being buttered up. She and Germanicus were the most powerful couple in Mereo, but that certainly did not make them the best. Perhaps one as young as Malila would not see the difference.. or perhaps her words truly were just meant to be flattering. 

Malila thought she was a medic? 

"I've picked up a trick or two over the years, but I am no medic." As for Mereo's needs, Ruenna would note, "Aquene meets Mereo's medical needs right now, but I cannot predict what Mereo will need in the future." This was why Ruenna was keen for Malila to marry now and continue her studies. She could serve a present need while preparing to serve a possible future need. 

Malila revealed that she was happiest when she was studying plants, and Ruenna gave a sympathetic expression. Spending large amounts of time immersed in plants might be fine for a pup, but a grown woman would have other responsibilities. Perhaps Malila had been indulged too much as a child, and this was why she was having a hard time swallowing the dose of reality that Ruenna provided. 

Many more questions came, and rapidly. Ruenna focused on the ones that seemed most pressing.

"It is mandatory for civilians to serve a need in Mereo. The way I see it, the only need that an untrained and unskilled woman can immediately fill is the need for a soldier to have a wife. However, if you think you can serve a present need in a different way, I would be interested to hear it." Ruenna was open to her mind being changed; she would welcome the chance to be proven wrong. 

What if the men did not express interest? Ruenna stifled a chuckle. 

"Many men do not know their own interests, until a women makes the suggestion. With Germanicus and I, it was I who first expressed interest." The small disclosure was offered in a conspiratorial manner. Would Malila find that tidbit interesting?

175 Posts
Ooc — Mai
"Oh, then I was mistaken. My apologies." She offered, at hearing that Ruenna was not a medic. Her head had been swirling lately, and she got some of her facts criss crossed. She considered her options further. "I would like to pursue the role of an assistant to Aquene, if she needs it? Or I can focus more on herbalism. What do you think of the idea of a well maintained garden?" Her brows lifted curiously. Malila was aware that in this type of environment with the ruddy soil, growing herbs may take a little creativity. But she was up for the challenge. "I also could scout for the materials as well."

Truthfully, she wanted to explore her options. Test them, find what she was the best at. This, would take some time. She nodded, understanding that as a civilian, she needed a purpose, or else was to serve as a wife. "I am not completely opposed to the idea of being a wife. If the right person comes along and we feel a strong enough connection for it, then sure. Until then, I think I would prefer to hone my skills while seeing if anyone catches my eye. Or vice versa." Malila displayed more maturity than before. Clearly, she knew well enough that she did not want to marry just for the sake of a partnership.
856 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Master Ambassador
Advisor
Coach
Assistant to the medic, gardening, scouting... Malila's ambitions were all over the place, and none of them related directly with the paths that Ruenna had presented to her. 

"You will need to pursue the paths that I've outlined," Ruenna voiced, sticking firm to her prior decision. Malila seemed to sense how much Ruenna wanted to help her, and Rue wondered if this was why she thought she could manipulate the situation to change the expectation. "By the end of three months, you will need to have chosen one path or the other, wife or soldier. That is the only way I can guarantee you a place in Mereo after the thaw." These other pursuits-- assisting Aquene, gardening, exploring.. these were the past-times of a wife. If Malila planned to spend her time on such things, she had better make sure she was also getting to know the men of Mereo. 

Malila insisted that she was open to the idea of being a wife, but Ruenna wondered if this was really true. By voicing that she would wait to see if anyone caught her eye, it sounded like she was setting herself up to be overly-picky, and ultimately "fail" to find a husband. 

"I would like you to speak with at least two of the unmarried men and get to know them. Then, come back to me and tell me what you think of them, and what you have learned. When you have done this, then I will hear more about your ideas for a garden." Ruenna hoped she was being clear-- Malila needed to take direct, intentional steps to become a wife to one of the soldiers, or else her lessons, her garden, whatever other ways to pass her time she could dream up-- all of that would be lost to her.

175 Posts
Ooc — Mai
Ruenna was firm, making it clear that Malila must first choose either the path of a wife or a warrior. Malila nodded, failing to display the slight tension she still felt within. Once she had made her choice, then she could pursue her pastimes. "I understand." Three months was all she had.

Furthermore, she was to learn of and get to know the eligible males. It was a sensible idea. She needed to give them a chance, to express her want to know them, if she were to make a choice for a potential husband. "Of course. I will do that and get back to you." She said honestly, fully intent on following through. She leaned forward, to reach for the herb bundle to use. A pause. "Is there anything else?" She asked, unsure if their time together had come to a close.
856 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Master Ambassador
Advisor
Coach
Ruenna shook her head. "That's all. I look forward to hearing what you learn." Noticing that Malila reached for the herbs, she added, "I hope you feel better." She gave the girl a wan smile, and then she turned to depart from the den. 

Even after a whole conversation, she was still uncertain of whether they had truly made any progress.