a lion still has claws
<font style="font-family: small fonts; font-size: 15px; text-transform: lowercase; line-height: 6pt;"> <i>heart so wild it needs a cage</i></font>
23 Posts
Ooc —
<style type="text/css">.mal {margin:auto; width:600px;text-align:justify;font-family:small fonts;} .mal q {color:#66B58F;font-weight:500;text-shadow: 2px 2px 4px #E6E6E6;} .mal p {margin:0px;text-indent:30px;}</style>

Mallaidh was tired. Her paws ached, her stomach growled, and her eyelids were heavy with the threat of exhaustion. She knew she had to stop soon, the last few months constantly on her feet and the last few weeks had been an extra stress induced mania that was slowing wearing thin on her young battered body. A home would be the answer to what she needed, temporary or otherwise, because her chance of survival during the upcoming winter months wasn't looking too good with each passing day. She had enough to another day, another hunt, as long as she kept going what what she needed but each day she went without proper and consistent care of herself just addled her mind.

She couldn't remember the last time she applied her salve to her wound. It was significantly smaller than what it originally looked like and it would have been long healed by now had she been in one place to care for it. Places that had the herbs she needed for the mixture but each gap in application would set her back and open it, pus collected and threatening to take over. It caused weakness, leaving her with a difficult time hunting, and luck had only been able to carry her so far.

Sure she had run dry on what luck was left, she quietly hummed to herself before her nose ran against the side of a large boulder. The scratch caused an involuntary groaned, allowing herself to step back carefully and repeat the scrap of her muzzle. The rough massage temporarily distracted her from her aching paws and weary travel, not realizing she was creeping close to a claimed territory. Mallaidh too a long breath, held it in, and released. When her lungs refilled, she noticed the change in scents scarce beginning to thicken. She cursed her distraction before she shuffled back but without leaving. The musk of other wolves wasn't so thick she felt danger of trespassing but she knew the closer she got, her chances were wide with error.

For now, she waited; rested. Mallaidh was not in prime condition to be a new recruit but it didn't hurt to try and make friends in the meantime.

2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior
HI I'VE MISSED YOU
<style type="text/css">.ame {margin:auto; width:530px; text-align:justify;font-size:11px;} .ame q {color:#7a2638; font-family:georgia;font-weight:bold;letter-spacing:1.3px;} .ame p {margin:0px;text-indent:30px;}</style>

Rest was fleeting with efforts divided between increased vigilance and tending to her wounded, and the effects were beginning to make themselves known. First Rain's paw, which was minor, sure, but now in the aftermath of Vienna's attack, she had found herself particularly glad for the weeks devoted to building stocks of plants. Now, she only wished she knew of more beneficial ones and their uses; her limited expertise could scrape them by, it seemed, but she was not exactly happy about it.

And now, she descended the slopes with a quick trot, intending to turn her frustration into something useful -- patrol. She might as well, and with any luck, Vienna's cougar of an attacker may be lurking nearby. A long shot it may be, she could still hope. Soon, something more proactive would have happen regarding their renegade cougar neighbor. Before it brought them more harm.

Amekaze took to a path and swept her nose low while she jogged. In doing so, it was the unfamiliar that caught her attention and shifted her course. When she spied the wolf, female and in less-than-pristine condition, she approached silently and took that time to look her up and down. The stranger was no cougar, but perhaps there was something interesting to be had here, so Ame's tail raised up and her minty eyes narrowed appropriately. What brings you? she asked briskly, for she didn't feel like being overly patient today.

[Image: 5ifpFkc.png?1]
i want to bleed in the 「r a i n
<font style="font-family: small fonts; font-size: 15px; text-transform: lowercase; line-height: 6pt;"> <i>heart so wild it needs a cage</i></font>
23 Posts
Ooc —
HI I MISSED YOU TOO.

She rolls her neck around her shoulders, closing her eyes, and breathing in the air. The cool air was nice against her lungs, giving her a renewed feeling temporarily, and left her calm as the approach of another appears. Her own eyes narrow, watching posture and placement, but she reduces her stance nonetheless. The position of power the black female held herself was enough to give her the information she needed. She relaxed and dipped her head, her tail drooping lazily behind her. She didn't look directly at the wolf but she didn't immediately look at the ground. Mallaidh wanted to keep her in her immediate peripheral vision, studying her carefully.

Reprieve, Mallaidh says quietly. The word lingers on the air, unfinished, but she hesitated before speaking. Her tongue runs along her lips, moistening the curl over her teeth. I am aware of my condition but I know what I need to return to health. I have a wide knowledge of medicine and other skills. I do not require much from your own resources, unless you have a medic to consult with, but even that is not paramount.

Mallaidh fell silent then, glancing upward only to try and catch her expression, but when she wasn't able to successfully get enough she looked back down. For the first time she realized she'd never been through this process, inside or out. Too young to greet newcomers, too recent of a reject to have searched for a home. She relied heavily on instinct, hoping she wasn't pushing her buttons with the authoritative wolf before her.

2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior
<style type="text/css">.ame {margin:auto; width:530px; text-align:justify;font-size:11px;} .ame q {color:#7a2638; font-family:georgia;font-weight:bold;letter-spacing:1.3px;} .ame p {margin:0px;text-indent:30px;}</style>

The answer was simple. It was what they had come to this mountain for in the very beginning, and certainly, they had found it. Having others seek the same here seemed only natural.

Nevertheless, she did not need to press for more explanation. The female offered the beginnings of it then and there, and Ame nodded subtly while delicately masking her unmistakable interest at having encountered a wolf with medical know-how. At first she had felt vaguely uneasy about welcoming wolves not at full strength -- especially with a small handful of her own established members having fallen on difficult times lately (Vienna, Rain, and questionably Summer came to mind first), but this catered directly to the dark alpha's interests and wants for the pack's future.

I see, she breathed, and prepared a thoughtful response. We do not have a formal healer here at this time, although I have filled in out of necessity, so your.. knowledge interests me, she explained outright. Have you been alone for long? What is your name? she asked.

23 Posts
Ooc —

She saw the subtle change in expression and she couldn't help the slight twitch of the corner of her lips. Her head angled in the opposite direction left the movement hidden. Mallaidh was pleased with what she accomplished in a few short sentences. They did not have a medic or healer or shaman or anything of the sort and that gave her a leg up in the situation. She had yet to be chased off or felt any distaste from the other female that she was sure she had a paw in the door that stood between her and her knew dwelling place. The woman was hopeful to have found a place to rest, her bones for too weary for her age.

I would be happy to exchange what I know for residency among your ranks. My paws have missed the mountain adobe, she explains with a swish of her tail.

She was built for the terrain and perhaps why she had meandered in this direction. It was not a decision she would be able to make lightly; selecting a home to stay permanently. Or at least an extended temporary stay. Should it not pan out, she knew she would not be able to find a home in nearby lands.

A few full moons at best. Maybe three, Mallaidh tells the leader. There was a deviating turn of events in my home that led me to leave, she sternly says but it was something she didn't wish to elaborate on and she hoped to leave it there. My name is Mallaidh, she introduces smoothly, as if the word has escaped her tongue a thousand times. Her chest even expanded, shoulders rolling back in their sockets. There was a slight exposure to her neck as her nose angled in another direction but the full intent of her motive was entirely questionable with the flare of a grin in her eyes.

2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior

While she would welcome more warriors, wardens, and gamekeepers with winter nearly upon them, there were few trades she wished to see more of than the healers. It was with a touch of regret that she looked back on when they housed a few promising prospects and wished that she had taken more time to learn from then. It had been leagues easier to assume they may stay longer than they had, or not all seem to scatter to the winds at once.

And, listening through a satisfied nod, she had made up her mind. The exchange appealed well to her interests and wants. Even if this female decided not to stay for any impressive span of time, Ame would glean what she could while she could. Although she did hope her presence would be more than fleeting at best -- the recent string of departures taught her not to keep too high of hopes. In any case, it would do the pack good to have her expertise expanded on and more proper stocks established, instead of only having her hodge-podge collections to rely on throughout the course of winter. Good, she breathed, intending to revisit the topic in greater detail at another time. I will ask to learn from you, in time.. she added.

It was then the hint that she had resided on a mountain before that only served to solidify her thinking. Perhaps it was only natural for her to seek out the slopes once more, and the dark leader was pleased that it was her spire that had caught her eye. Ame smirked subtly, and listened on to the answer that was suitable enough. While not particularly decorated in detail, she noticed it was likely not a place to pry at. She let it be, for although she wondered where she had gained her knowledge from and what it was that had sent her packing, the answers provided had been satisfactory enough. I am Ame, and this is the Sunspire.. she pointed her muzzle towards the peak at her back. You are welcome to find your reprieve here, she said, turning her sharp eyes back to Mallaidh as she spoke.

23 Posts
Ooc —

Mallaidh was more than happy to share information that she had, step by step, as it was needed. She had been the charge of a female when she was just a child, learning everything she could until one day she had been gone. Then she was on her own, learning things from the herbalist and other wolves and putting together her own medicine book. She was proud of what she knew and it was the very source of her that would carry her from then on out when she didn't have the padding of her parents to back her up.

I look forward to it.

The leader introduced herself and Mallaidh offered a smile, turning her head so it could be seen. She nodded, letting her body move her a step closer to the other female and her new home.

Thank you, she says finally. Is there anything I need to know that's more important than learning on my own?

2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior

Ame nodded with a slow exhale and accompanying sway of her tail, which was now more relaxed than it had been. She was eager to learn more but it was allowing Mallaidh time to settle and recuperate that came first. Nevertheless, to her thanks, she bobbed her head again and watched her edge closer.

The mountain itself is best learned on your own, she said, although there was no doubt that she did not realize this already. A dark male named Jace serves as my Beta. You will probably meet him soon, as this was information she often passed along to new joiners.

The next piece, she figured she ought to share as well. It was likely something she was going to cover in detail to the pack as a whole, but the recent encounter with Scimitar kept it fresh in her mind. And when traveling beyond this territory, be mindful of wolves from Swiftcurrent Creek.. She began to turn aside, readied to continue her pass across the borderlands. We have a history with them and some of their members may not be all too hospitable based on your affiliation alone. But, not all. We have agreed to not hunt near them, just as they have for us. Although, she rarely heard of encounters. It was only worth keeping in the back of the mind, just in case.

23 Posts
Ooc —

She nodded, knowingly. Growing up on a mountain would benefit her but this was still new in some ways and she had a lot of learning to do before she was comfortable in her new home. Wolves to meet, to make aware of her presence, and she hoped for the best. She continued to speak about another wolf, Jace the Beta, and she nodded again.

I will keep my eyes open for him.

Amekaze moved on, though, to matters that settled a little funny in her gut. A history with another pack? She didn't elaborate on it and only advised her to be careful. Her grey eyes narrowed slightly as she mulled quietly for only a moment before before her ears cupped forward eagerly.

What is this history, if I may ask? she asks, keeping her gaze pointed toward the black wolf.

2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior

A piece of her had been ready for the warning about the Creek to inspire more questions. She had been somewhat vague in places. As much as she didn't want to get into the whole story, for it was quick to dredge up tiresome recollections, it was worth having the new wolves know nonetheless.

Drawing a breath, she hoped to compact this explanation in the best way possible. Their former Alpha and our founding one had their differences, and she did not like where he chose to settle us.. She made it her business to start trouble whenever able, which we deflected but it always left bad impressions, Ame explained, debating whether to mention the captive situation. She decided against it, as that did not seem like a light she wished to paint the pack with at this time. Times had changed both here and in the Creek, so she assumed, and their relationship stood on shaky grounds at best.. but it was better than it had been in the fall. While she doubted they would ever be friendly, this suited her well enough. The Creek was hardly a day to day concern of hers. When she left the helm of the Creek, we settled a truce with the wolves she abandoned. However they are led by a more sensible individual now, so tensions are not nearly so immediate; it is only worth being aware of, she finished with, and stood watchful for any further questions this may prompt at this moment.

23 Posts
Ooc —

The more Amekaze explained, the more questions she had. For the moment, she bit her tongue, curious about the founder of the pack, the differences they had. What if she agreed to the wrong side? She narrowed her eyes and focused on something in the distance, listening as the dark female continued and tried to soothe any potential worry about conflict with another pack. Mallaidh didn't expect to back out of her invitation to join but she would keep herself on alert until she felt comfortable.

What do you mean our former founder? she questioned with a slight tilt of her head. It is good, however, that things aren't as bad.

2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior

She flicked an ear. He is gone. Not.. related to the Creek in any way, she said with a briefly distant look, she fought the frown by licking the backs of her teeth. There had never been a reason to suspect them. It had been all of his own fault, with a cougar tangled into the mix to finalize what she suspected to be his fate. He had come here to settle peacefully.. and when their leader finally stopped antagonizing by removing herself from the picture, he sought the truce, she said, to clarify that it was not like his removal from the situation was what helped soothe the tensions. Amekaze believed the change in Creek leadership had been a major part of what did it.

It is. Time eases it, but I feel it is best not to strain what is only just now mending. I prefer to have little to do with them, and wish the same of the wolves here. They were not worth more than that to her. She could pass on the suggestions to stay away and not hunt near them, and that was about it.

23 Posts
Ooc —
You can fade off here if you want? Or continue, I don't mind either way. :)

Each time Amekaze tried to explain the situation with the creek, more questions arose in Mallaidh's mind. She lingered on them for a few moments, debating whether or not she was going to ask or save them for later and find out. She didn't know how sensitive the subject was and she didn't want to be seen as prying; but as much as a leader should pry a joiner, the opposite should be the same. She settled on silence for now, not exactly getting a negative vibe about the situation.

Deciding to get off the subject, Mallaidh adjusted, shifting most of her weight off the wounded leg. Do you have a collection of plants or herbs or medicines? she questions with a slight tilt of her head, hoping to get a better feel for what she had to work with and what she had to pick up from.

2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior
i'ma fade it bc i'm slowpoke anyway lately but we will def have a new one soon

Explaining the history of the Creek and the Sunspire was never easy. Amekaze could answer her questions, but she knew it could not be simple to understand from an outsider's point of view. She would readily revisit the topic at another time, once a greater understanding of the pack's dynamic in action was had, or she had been given a chance to pick up anecdotes of the history from others. In either case, when she did not question it further for now, Amekaze let the topic slide.

There is a small collection of plants -- mostly of a few that I know of their uses, and some older leftovers from when aspiring medics did live here that I have preserved. I can show you, but it has been a work in progress lately, and is minimal at best right now.. she said, beginning to turn on her hind paws to aim her muzzle towards the forested grove where she had moved everything to. It was not much besides the bare minimum.

With that said, she picked up a smooth trot and headed that way, underneath the assumption that the tawny-coated female would follow. Ame would not pressure her to expand their stocks now, but did appreciate her apparent eagerness, so wasted little time in showing her what she wished to know.