Sawtooth Spire racing in my mind, doing 100 in a 60
ᴀ ᴠᴀʟʟᴜᴍ ᴏғ ғᴀɪʀʏ ᴛᴀʟᴇs
sᴍᴀsʜᴇᴅ ɪɴᴛᴏ ʀᴇᴀʟɪᴛʏ
248 Posts
Ooc — daphne
Away
the child just needs a snickers, shes not her when shes hungry 

she heard her name spooled like charmeuse from the mouth of a woman who phaedra knew was not her mother. yet for a soothing few heartbeats, the image of her mother played behind her lids. wylla was heckling her daughter's dramatics as thade bounded to tackle his sister.
so long as she didn't turn around, it was true.
howevermuch she hoped, the gentle, uncertain lilt of the voice behind her was so unlike mother that all hope evanesced. hope, failing her again. the smile she didn't realize was upborne by her mouth broke like a twist of rotten silk.
when she finally turned around, she kept her eyes anchored to the bedewed clover underfoot. she was willful with refusal to accept her reality, but endured the disappointment with mannered deference even so. 
favoring her left rear-leg, she sulked towards the crooning voice.
phaedra's eyes never lifted. presently closing the distance between them, she nuzzled her face into this stranger's chest, imagining for a moment this was mama.
a brief departure into pretend, then; away from amidst the morass of confusion she felt.
"you fowgod mah breatfass," phaedra murmured, still unable to will herself to look up.
this isn't mama.
she chose to ignore her head because her heart needed a break.
"da sun came up and i couldn' fine you or thade. id made me scared. the dree grabbed my footd an' bidt id but i didnd cry. now i was here." she mused on. her lip throbbing where she had bit it, she swathed her tongue over the dried blood and felt the puffiness of flesh.
breathing deep of star's scent, only the light dusting of recognition sat on the mantelpiece of her memory. she smells familiar, she smells like milk. but this isn't mama.
a whimper for her father budded her throat but she fought against it. "no! we don' need him all the dime." the child's small voice whispered, as if she was speaking only to herself gollum gollum and was unaware of the woman she'd embraced without consent.
papa has new sons and daughters to take care of. and this isn't mama.
finally, the child looked up to admit the truth to her heart and seeing the truth tore it apart. she did not recognize this woman wearing winter as a gown, curvilinear with child. a sob that came from somewhere deep and hidden away burst from her like an overripe nectarine.
"wh-where m-mamas aaad?" she implored through shuddering breaths. "s-s-dag! S-ST-SDAG!" she wept into the chilly air, pulling away from star to find the male of sawn ivory.
Messages In This Thread
racing in my mind, doing 100 in a 60 - by Phaedra - June 10, 2020, 08:53 PM
RE: racing in my mind, doing 100 in a 60 - by RIP Star - June 10, 2020, 11:36 PM
RE: racing in my mind, doing 100 in a 60 - by Phaedra - June 12, 2020, 03:11 AM
RE: racing in my mind, doing 100 in a 60 - by RIP Star - June 15, 2020, 09:16 PM
RE: racing in my mind, doing 100 in a 60 - by Stag - June 15, 2020, 09:25 PM
RE: racing in my mind, doing 100 in a 60 - by Phaedra - July 07, 2020, 03:13 AM
RE: racing in my mind, doing 100 in a 60 - by Stag - August 07, 2020, 08:26 AM