Gyrfalcon's Keep a great spirit lies in wait
2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior
<style type="text/css">.ame {margin:auto; width:530px; text-align:justify;font-size:11px;} .ame q {color:#7a2638; font-family:georgia;font-weight:bold;letter-spacing:1.3px;} .ame p {margin:0px;text-indent:30px;}</style>

Hours bled into days which lent themselves to weeks. Thankfully, the days were warmer now, even sometimes touched with humidity and the promise of springtime showers. Amekaze continued to enjoy the seaside climate at least, and the hunting was enough to exist on, despite a certain leanness about her that she could still not surpass. She had found a monotonous routine, underlined vaguely by unfitting complacency and homesickness, that kept her survival out of question at least.

The afternoon was getting late and this was the last few good hours of warm sun left. She decided to steal a pause to lounge and renew her energy, as her mountainside path had taken her to this small flat spot in the open that would be a pity to pass up. So Amekaze settled upon the warm rock surface, contemplative with her perception tuned to a low buzz. She intended to relax but instead, she busied herself with scanning the mountainside below.

Although not that far up in elevation just yet, the view was surprisingly sufficient. Considering the forest of the surroundings, much of the sight was obscured by the trees, yet this she found.. pleasant. She liked the energy here and exhaled a slow breath. Unfortunately, she knew she would not stay for very long..

[Image: 5ifpFkc.png?1]
i want to bleed in the 「r a i n
ís & steinn ♔ hjarta & sál
583 Posts
Ooc — Java
Hi! Hope you don't mind me poppin' in. ;D

After exploring the territory surrounding the mountain's base, it was natural for the outrider to seek out what lay beyond. In this case, it was a great mountain - not nearly as great as the Sunspire which loomed over the creek, or the substantial mountain chain that bordered them, but it was still immense. Mountains were prone to be megalithic, naturally. And he was fit enough to follow the natural curves of the mountain. There was little desire within him to scale the entire thing, and little time to carry on with his whims (as Njal's goal was to double back and return home with news for Fox), but he would allow himself this little adventure. It was worth it to see what lay where, and who lay claim to it.

Aside from the lingering scent of Jinx which had become prolific in the area, the man could discern no true claim. It was an empty mountain. Covered in a thick forest which smelled of pine and fir, ratted and jungle-like with it's dense undergrowth, the wolf patrolled the lower reaches as he made his way northward - having decided to explore the area while he was near it, to save himself an extra trip. Any news he gathered would be sure to garner extra points with Fox.

He wandered with heavy steps, failing to disguise himself in any manner (mostly because he didn't bother trying). It was hard work to scale a mountain when the air began to thin, and at that point Njal did not wish to peruse higher. He rested, briefly, and began his descent. The crags and uneven terrain proved to be a good hike. He was even graced with the scent of a stranger - something that piqued his interest immediately - when he reached a lower level. With a smooth call in to the darkness of the trees, he queried the surroundings. Is someone there? For surely he was not mistaken. There was a scent lingering here, quite fresh and quite unknown, which he was eager to identify.

2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior
ahh not at all, thx for joinin!
<style type="text/css">.ame {margin:auto; width:530px; text-align:justify;font-size:11px;} .ame q {color:#7a2638; font-family:georgia;font-weight:bold;letter-spacing:1.3px;} .ame p {margin:0px;text-indent:30px;}</style>

While the landscape permeated nothing but stillness, her eyelids eventually grew heavy and she allowed her body to relax. Here in the company of the solitude along with the mountain air, she could find nothing to fault. It was calm, easy and simplistic. A welcome reprieve before she would continue on with her almost constant prowling.

It seemed to only be a fleeting moment before her senses quivered back to alertness. She peeled open an eye and swiveled an ear -- something approached, heavy but steady in its progress, closer to her still.. unless the winds were lying to her. Ame listened carefully and tried to pick apart its scent from that of the mountainside forest.

When a voice was raised, both ears pricked. She gathered her legs beneath her and sat up straight, for nothing of the tone spoke of familiarity and she wished to listen fully. Her guards were put up accordingly despite the lack of suggested violence in the tones as well. To err on the side of caution was most advantageous, but she would not shirk on the curiosity. After only a beat more, she was on her feet and lurking slowly nearer, for instead of vocalizing her greeting, she would just go straight to him. Although these stretches of land were not hers, she did inhabit them often. The dark-furred Rikudou saw it fit to investigate any who came close to her.

Stranger, she called out lowly in greeting once she could see his grayscaled coat and the imposing figure he cut. Even from here, she could see he was a sizable, bulky-looking beast -- yet she knew not to discredit his ability for speed so soon. Looks could deceive with alarming ease.

Her head was lifted and she maintained a distance, with a few tree trunks left to obscure the view further, until she could gauge his reaction to her.

583 Posts
Ooc — Java
It was the man's nature to be amicable whenever possible. Even in the initial acclimation to the Seahawk Valley he had been stern but accepting - inviting towards others where it was appropriate. Here was no different. Njal wasn't a particularly social wolf by any measure (nor was he a skilled diplomat), but he was content to be in the company of others. Had he found the vagrant near his home then perhaps things would be a little different - he would have been defensive, antagonistic, and eager to drive them away. In this case when the stranger responded, Njal was quiet. He searched the surroundings with a generalized sweep of his golden gaze, only really spotting the dark figure when she shifted to raise her head.

Njal slowed his pace, and fought the instinctual urge to bristle; for he had been the one to initiate things, and it was unwise to waste energy fighting. She did not appear to be any sort of threat - only a wanderer - and Njal could appreciate such a whimsical lifestyle. He rumbled a similar greeting towards her, and dipped his head. "It is a surprise to see another wolf around this area," he commented with the abrupt change of his gaze - taking a look at the surroundings and in that action, showing restraint and calm towards the other. The sweep of his eyes eventually returned to the woman when he began to study her silhouette.

She was fit, but a bit ragged. A grim creature as far as he could tell. Someone who had lived alone for quite some time. It was not his place to make any judgement and so he withheld them, only bobbing his head as he rounded upon her position. When Njal finally came to a halt, he stood across a rocky ledge and looked over it - his back to the stranger, which was perhaps a stupid thing to do.

2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior

Alone, she knew her strength paled and drastically so. Initiating fights and aggravating tempers of the various faces she met would only cost her more in the long run, what through the possibilities of injury and making the packs more hostile towards loners, so she did her best to exist quietly and out of the way. Usually she stayed away from known borders, excepting of course the Ridge on occasion, but scouring their fringes out of sheer curiosity was becoming a dying habit.

I can say the same, she quipped in turn, tilting her muzzle in the briefest of expressions. A reason why I am here at all, the dark loner added as she straightened her stance just some. Still, she was mindful of his posture and careful not to overstep. It was not always easy to find the line to walk between outright submission and dominance with individuals she did not know. Expectations varied, but it was a careful dance she had come to almost enjoy, in a small way like welcoming a challenge.

And he seemed easy-going enough and either confident or unwise enough to show her his back. What brings you? she asked, looking at the sterling furs on the back of his head.

583 Posts
Ooc — Java
Perhaps he was overconfident. Njal lingered on the precipice for a few minutes longer, staring down the side of the cliff face. He could discern a few paths that were wide enough for wolves to tread, but many more that were for the agile sheep of the mountains. As he observed, the woman observed him. Words billowed forth next, and the man turned to regard the silhouetted woman with a careful kindness.

"What brings you?"
"Pack business." he stated softly, and was going to leave it at that - knowing it was only proper to keep Swiftcurrent's dealings close. He wouldn't be much of an outrider if he spilled forth information for Fox's ears only.

Still, he wanted to appear amiable to the wanderer. If only for courtesy's sake.

"I hail from across the mountains to the east, amongst the plains." That was enough of a clue, if she had ventured so far. It was quite a distance though and Njal doubted she had gone adventuring close to them - her scent was too foreign, too mountainous. "Do you fare well?"

2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior

His answer was unsurprising. She grunted softly in recognition of his suitable response and she would not be prying any further on that particular notion. Pack business summed it up plenty for her, and she had no reason to doubt the validity of the statement. She could smell pack on him. It made sense for him to be tending to pack business -- even if that was a broad statement.

With her ears twitching to his words, she mapped them mentally. At the very best she could recall the easterly territories vaguely. The Creek, yes? she asked, sniffing noticeably to reaffirm his scent in her memory. It was a pack that seemed to demand her attention lately, for it had suddenly come from nowhere to be a fairly regular occurrence in her existence. He was not the first of their lot she had seen recently where once, she had hardly known the pack existed at all. It is a decent travel away, if memory serves correct.. She wondered if he would confirm this or not, and then if they were ranging out this far to perhaps scope for hunting grounds. Since she knew little of the pack, its numbers, and otherwise, being leery of them seemed appropriate.

Amekaze was not sure why he had asked. Her appearance was a good indicator of how she felt. Well enough. I survive, she chuffed with certainty. Thriving may not have been the case here but no matter. He would not be privy to the details and her eyes narrowed suspiciously.

583 Posts
Ooc — Java
Her identification of him as a creek wolf was liberating, in a way. It proved to Njal that his ilk were a strong group; something to be wary of, or at least aware of. When she uttered the name of his home territory, Njal lifted his head and turned to regard her - plain and calm, confident. Her further answers were met with a small smile, for he wished to be friendly and amiable. He hadn't considered how off-putting such a question would be to a wanderer - many had asked him similar things when he was but a vagrant, and Njal had been happy for the attention. Not everyone was like him though. It was entirely possible that the northerner was being invasive, alienating a potential ally - or a recruit. The thought made his ears twitch.

"You know of us, that is good." Njal commented lightly, as he descended from the ledge. He fought the urge to nose around in the soil and continue his exploration, settling in to a seated position near the dark figure. "You seem able bodied. Survival is difficult for many, and you are succeeding, but," his head tilted slightly, thoughtful. "If you ever have a need, I am sure my family could help you; although, spring is coming." A new expression trailed across his rugged face, something akin to glee, but contained. "I am sure it will be easier for you than the winter."

With that said, Njal shifted back to his paws. He began to tread along an uneven trail which wound nearer to her, but also down and away from the mountain. His going was slow in case she had more to say, and as he reached another ledge Njal paused and turned to look at her again; tracing her dark face amongst the rocks. "I wish you well, stranger."

2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior

With every face she met, the Creek's reputation was only growing more solidified in her mind. While she still could not tell what sort of pack of wolves they might be, evidently they were comfortable enough to range out even here and each she had crossed paths with had seemed to be self-assured wolves with enough strength to their name. She knew none of them overly personally, but these were the impressions she was gathering.

Especially him, marked in his grays and occasional tans with scars, seemed a formidable creature. The black male with one ear had inspired the same thoughts (despite his lack of fishing skills). She wondered how much of their ranks were wolves like them and perhaps, if maybe one day she might find a place contentedly among them. She was not ready to rush to that kind of conclusion yet though.

Mhm, I know of the pack and a few of its faces, but not much else, she explained. It was not yet christened last time I was near its area. Naturally, she did not know the history of how it had come to be either. It was not a topic she had ever considered. When he spoke on of her status as an able-bodied individual, she was silent, although inwardly relishing in the sensation of having her survival abilities recognized. He did not disregard her in favor of trying to nudge her towards the recruitment of his pack. That, she would appreciate. I do hope so. Even the solitude can be a tiresome weight to carry at times, though, and not one that spring can ease, she murmured back, but her seclusion was still of her own choice; she could not complain too terribly.

Amekaze then watched him rise, and begin to move away. She didn't pursue but studied him instead. Likewise, was all she said, and would be on her own way once whenever he was out of sight.

583 Posts
Ooc — Java
Her words were quick, and he cast a pleasant gaze upon her as he nodded in acquiescence; shifting again in an arc to head down the mountain. Njal hadn't encountered many stray wolves in his time away from the creek - or at any time, even within the boundaries of Fox's land - and he found himself pleased to have had this spontaneous meeting. Mentally he wished for the wellness of the dark girl, even if it wasn't in his own interest. He had spent so many days on his own prior to the founding of the creek pack that he could appreciate the lifestyle, although, a part of him hoped that the stranger would find her way to their doorstep. Life was easier in a group - he now firmly believed this. The silver man worked his way down the mountain, becoming a metallic speck before disappearing towards the eastern mountain range.

Exit!