King Elk Forest Night Sky
18 Posts
Ooc — Raven
All Welcome 
She looked up at the clear sky and the sparkling stars in the night. As she did she checked her direction, making sure she was still heading west. She used the stars to guide her and looked at the moon to gage the passage of time. It had been a few weeks since she left her home and the moon was in it's waxing gibbous phase; it would become full within the next few days. The image of the sky came and went as threes began to come into view. She looked at the trees and began to see markings. Small streaks on the bark of the trees. Going up to them and smelling the air she came to the conclusion that the markings were from bulls rumming their antlers on the trees. Looking down at the grass it was flattened, not too much, but it wasn't straight. This was a commonly walked path, a possible game trail, or maybe just a common spot elk herds came through. Small indications around her painted an entire picture to her about the events that happened in that very spot.
Always looking to do more naturalist threads!
Just tag or PM me.
775 Posts
Ooc — Rosie
Astronomer
Master Ecologist
Master Midwife
It was always the night where Olive felt most comfortable. When day consistently cascaded into night, Olive felt as though she was plunged in another world. Nearly all her faculties of sight, smell, hearing, taste, and touch were altered during the obscurity of twilight. Her sensitive ears could perceive no sound - although the silence was intermittently punctuated by the singing crickets and a snap of twigs off the distance.  Olive’s vision was better at night, but alas, there was less to see. Most of the small animals and things of interest had retreated to the safety of their forest homes. Even the cool night’s air carried a woodsy overture and dulled the myriad of scents Olive’s could perceive in the heat of day. 

Olive knew that she not alone, but like the other creatures of the night she slunk between trees and through the forest, silent and light on her feet. It was her witching hour!

For most, night meant vulnerability. However, the darkened environment afforded Olive a sense of anonymity that she did not have the luxury of otherwise. At night, she surrendered her identity and truly became one with her environment. Trotting as a brisk pace, she could nearly felt her soul leave the structure of her body and disperse through the forest, omnipresent yet unpretentious. Here, Olive was not limited by what she could do and perceive as a wolf; without the light of day to define her, she was infinite. 

Olive’s tour of the forest stopped short as she discerned the energy field of another wolf. Her paws slowed her gait to a halt, and cocked her head at the curious grey wolf. In an entire forest that seemed devoid of movement, she had happened upon this particular being. Olive did not believe in coincidence, only cosmic influence. Whoever this wolf is, she was meant to meet. 

With the confidence of someone truly in their element, Olive approached. She was sure to shuffle her paws loudly, so as not to entirely startle the strange she-wolf. Olive opened her maw and her soft voice dripped like honey. “I’m glad that I’m not the only one enjoying the grandeur of this forest.” 
and all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams
are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams
in what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams

18 Posts
Ooc — Raven
The wind blew at her pelt. She flent it pushing against her lightly and bringing with it a message. It told her nose that another had entered the forest. Tivona pressed her paw into the ground to feel the minor vibrations as they approtched from behind her. They were not attepmting to be quite as their steps rustled throught he brush. 

She looked over her should to watch a female appear from the night. A small wolf, silimar to Tivona. She was a bit timid. Never meeting a wolf from this part of the world ment they could act much differently from those that used to reside within her pack. Her nerves settled as she was greeted and praised for her appriciation of the forest.

With the female's comment her attention was brought back to the forest as she looked up at the tops of the trees and sky. "It's marvelous." she said with a sigh of serenity. "So peaceful and beautiful. You must love comming here." she continued assuming the female had been to these parts before.
Just tag or PM me.
775 Posts
Ooc — Rosie
Astronomer
Master Ecologist
Master Midwife
Olive watched with observant eyes as the female responded to her, turning her head towards the tree canopy. "It's marvelous. So peaceful and beautiful. You must love coming here.” Olive turned her head upwards to follow the she-wolfs lead, a smile tugging at the sides of her mouth. Finally, a wolf who appreciated the forest around them and recognized the power that lay in nature’s serene chaos. She found that so many wolves only focused solely on what was on the ground or right in front of them, failing to recognize the infinite ecosystems and universe above them. To Olive, the earth wasn’t theirs to claim as territories and she always felt a twinge in her heart as mother nature wept for the blood spilled on her behalf.  The abuse (or rather, neglect) never sat well with her.

Secretly, Olive hoped the female would be open to these ideas or already subscribed to them - not many wolves did.

The wolf in front of here did not carry the overwhelming scent of a pack and instead smelled of expansiveness and prerogative. That was something Olive deeply respected, as she was also without a pack.  Olive inhaled deeply, hoping to learn as much as she could before engaging her.

“Peace and beauty are so subjective - what do those words mean to you, when you speak of the forest?” Olives eyes never failed to leave the wolf’s as she spoke.  Some wolves felt this challenging, but Olive found it to be the best way to learn about their true intentions, feelings and desires. Eyes are the window to the soul, after all. "I truly want to know." 

18 Posts
Ooc — Raven
The female further inquired about how Tivona felt about the forest, wanting a deeped explaination to "peace and beauty". Tivona thought for a moment, to put the world to so few words was a true injustice, but many thought them simple enought. This wolf seemed different and seemed to empathize with Tivona. Looking around at the sky, the trees, the ground, and even the air made Tivona feel at homes. Calm and safe no matter where she was as long as the world was with her. 

"It feels like home. The way it makes me feel... its hard to put into words...... The air seems to hold me and whisper in my ears. The ground supports me and everything of the world. The trees, plants, and life give me company leaving me never alone. And the sky watches down on me keeping me safe and away from harm. The safely I feel is peace and the beauty is in everything. Many don't see it and I wonder why not." Tivona seemed to get caught up in the moment as she looked around and spoke from her heart. After a deep breath and a sigh she though of how weird that might have sounded to one not as accustom to the world as she was. 

"I'm sorry if that seems strange or weird. It truely is difficult to put to words." she finished hoping this wolf wouldn't think her too odd.
Just tag or PM me.
775 Posts
Ooc — Rosie
Astronomer
Master Ecologist
Master Midwife
Olive always tried to surround herself with honest beings: those wolves who felt no need to misrepresent their emotions and intentions. There was no room in her life for others who spoke untruths or pursued hidden agendas. Even more, this stranger appeared to subscribe to the same spirituality as she. Her words resonated within Olive's heart and the femme couldn’t help but grin. 

“I deeply understand you.” Olive spoke lightly, dipping her head in respect. “I too feel connected to everything around us. It knows more about us than we know about ourselves… our purpose in this world.” Curiously, Olive took several steps forward and wagged her tail - an unspoken offer of friendship.

“I have a feeling that I can learn much from you. I am Olive, and you are?”

18 Posts
Ooc — Raven
A mental sigh of relief came over Tivona as the female expressed her similar feelings about the nature around them. She reminded Tivona about the other wolves that had been in her birth pack. A bit of sadness came over her but as the female stepped forward, wagging her tail, she couldn't help but smile in return. The female introduced herself as Olive and asked Tivona her name. "Oh ya. I'm Tivona. Nice to meet you."
Just tag or PM me.
775 Posts
Ooc — Rosie
Astronomer
Master Ecologist
Master Midwife
Again, Olive tipped her muzzle to Tivona in an act of reverence. "It's great to meet you, Tivona....my friend." It was great, these lands were replete with friendly wolves, skilled wolves.... interesting beings of light who each held a significant purpose in this existence and were in the middle of their lifelong journeys. It was like a drug to Olive [who thrived off of community as much as she did solitude].

"Perhaps we can help each other - though I was born with some natural ability and insights, there are many questions I have about the world we live in. There is so much infinite wisdom that I don't yet have he ability to aggregate." As she did often, Olive looked up at the sky, down to the ground and at the surrounding forest in admiration. There was so much, it was almost overwhelming. The strong emotional, gut reactions that often Olive received weren't just instincts, but instead an innate, sensitive reaction to the vibrations of the earth. It was time to harness this ability and nurture it into something truly magnificent.

Olive felt a little less alone in her passions now that she had found an equal. For far too long she had preached the word of her Gods to wolves who did not truly understand and listened in amusement. Eager to further cement this relationship, Olive perked her ears forward. "Tivona, would you be interested in going on a hunt with me?" The nymph chuckled. "To be honest, i'm looking for any reason to continue our conversation - and my hunger is a perfect excuse!"

18 Posts
Ooc — Raven
Tivona smiled as Olive refered to her as a friend. Tivona had only been in these new wilds a short amount of time and already she had a friend. Even though the two didn't know too much about eachother, or had spent much time together, they both shared similar values, which cimented their friendship. 

As she began to speak about how they each could learn from one another. Tivona went over her own experience as Olive spoke about it. All her like she had grown up with naturalist and learned from their ways. Almost not knowing how to live another way, Tivona had too become a naturalist. "I was raised by a pack of naturalist. It's basically all I know, besides the basics of hunting and stuff. I would be happy to try and anser any question you may have in the future." she smiled as she offered her wisdom to her new found friend. 

Olive began to look around at the scenery again and so did Tivona. Olive seemed almost more enthusiastic about nature then Tivona did. Between the two it seemed that nature made Olive exited and for Tivona she felt respect and comfort in it. Whatever the difference was it was clear they both enjoyed it. Then in the midst of their wonder Olive asked if Tivona was open to a hunt, confessing that she wished to continue the conversation. With a humbled smile she agreed saying "That sounds wonderful."
Just tag or PM me.
775 Posts
Ooc — Rosie
Astronomer
Master Ecologist
Master Midwife
I tried to get them moving – please let me know if you’d like anything changed! Also, do you know if we need to roll dice for the hunt’s outcome, or is that optional?

Olive wagged her tail in delight as Tivona accepted her offer of a hunt. Truthfully, Olive was not the most skilled of hunters and appreciated the extra set of eyes, ears and teeth.  As a young child, the silver femme avoided her father’s teachings on the art of the hunt as it affronted all of her senses. The act of seeking out a living, breathing conscious creature simply for the act of taking its life deeply unsettled her. However, her instincts told her that consuming the flesh of others was a natural act for her kind and part of the cyclical tides of nature: small prey animals were plentiful and wolves existed to keep their numbers in check.

Still… it never sat well with the spiritual and magnanimous woman.

Recognizing that she had an ally who understood her [and possibly agreed with] her reservations, Olive turned her shoulder in a direction of a thicket of trees. In this place the titans [both old and new] grew in a close proximity to each other, often times falling and creating a foothold for bushes and other low-lying flora.  It was a great shelter for prey animals that enjoyed the security of the roots, tunnels and dark spaces that the beautiful chaos of nature created.  It was placed just far away enough from their current location that any prey would be undisturbed by her and Tivona’s conversation. Grabbing prey would be difficult in the thicket, but Olive knew enough to coerce her target into the open where a foot chase could ensue.

They padded through the forest silently. Olive left her gaze unfocused as her green orbs drifted over the distant ground in front of her - not focused on one area but the environment as a whole. She fervently searched for any signs of life; a movement, a noise, the vibrations of life carried gently through the air. The duo seemed to drift over the ground - Olive carefully placed each of her paws on the leaf litter and felt for twigs [that may snap] before placing her whole weight on it.

Their efforts weren’t for naught, as dark figure soon appeared. It was a boar. It had its flat nose snuffling around in the leaves, blissfully unaware of the wolves watching from afar. Olive looked at Tivona and gestured towards the pig, silently asking if they should pursue this option or move on.

18 Posts
Ooc — Raven
Sorry bust week at school trying to catch up and do roleplay here and there.
 - I'm pretty sure dice rolls are optional. I don't use them often.

Tivona followed Olive as they began their search for prey. Tivona looked out signs of prey in the area both general and direct to a specific animal. More scratch marking on the bark of tree both high and low, from antlers and tusts. Flattened glass highlighting a highly traveled game trail. She was also carful of herslef and how she could make herself quieter and more hidden. 

Then Olive came across a boar and gestured towards Tivona. Tivona wasn't too fond of larger game, even if it was just a boar. She only really hunted small game and prefered to eat foliage if that was the option. But with the two of them Philos figured it would be the same amount of meat if she had caught sometime like a rabbit by herself. She gestured to Olive that she was ready to move in if she was.
Just tag or PM me.
775 Posts
Ooc — Rosie
Astronomer
Master Ecologist
Master Midwife
Grace? ;)

At the moment Olive was given the okay from her partner, her mind quite suddenly sharpened. With her target in sight, Olive succumbed to instinct - that pit in her stomach to drove her to take life from this earth. It was the opposite of a blessing; it was a nightmare that made the nymph face the ugliest part of life again and again. She literally couldn’t live without it. It was this particular duality of existence that often unsettled her and left her questioning.

But the smoky fae would face the music later, as at that moment her entire being was channeled into the act of stalking. Olive felt her muscles activate within her, each in turn; so acutely controlling her body that she nearly glided over the earth. Bending down to hover above the ground she moved, floated, over the leaf litter. Olive was a wolf and a hungry wolf always knew what it was doing. Moving her gaze was not necessary because, with a flick of the ear, Olive perceived the infinitesimal sound of Tivona moving into alignment. Soft winds gently buffeted Olives body and directed the slender warrior downwind, past the pig.  She did not want her scent would not forsake her: her prey had senses that equalled her own, designed to protect its life and would easily be able to sense the two wolves should they make any misstep.

But then they were in position. The round creature remained unaware, snuffling around in the dirt. Again, Olive turned to Tivona and tipped her chin up in a motion that directed past the boar. In this sign language, Olive tried to silently instruct her to drive the animal into the nearby clearing. Olive would assume the task of meeting the animal in the open. It wasn’t ideal, but Olive felt the need to spare her new friend from the experience. If the boar were to lose its life, it might as well be at the teeth of wolves who would not relish the experience.

18 Posts
Ooc — Raven
LOL I have no idea brain auto pilot - edited it

When the two were in agreement then both lowered themselves. Olive lead and Tivona followed. She moved at a slow steady pace, her steps never interupting her movement. She set her paws down jently then transfered her weight into them as they left a print in the ground. The feeling of the earn beneather her was settling in this slightly stressful situation. Never having hunted before with another wolf, other then her past pack mates who simply taught her. 

Smelling the air she noticing her direction she thought o move down wind, which it seemed her companion had the similar realization. Olive looked back at Tivona and tipped her chin in a direction. Tivona nodded and headed in that direction. She watched the boar and also looked on past it towards the open field. 

Once she was in place she began to move towards the boar making herself known as she stood up and pounded the ground as she ruched towards it. Not at her full speed she wanted the boar to outrun her and towards the field.
Just tag or PM me.
775 Posts
Ooc — Rosie
Astronomer
Master Ecologist
Master Midwife
Let me know if you want any of this changed :)
Also I totally forgot this was set at night :O

Tivona moved quickly and quietly; Olive, from her concealed location among the scrub, watched the scene unfold in front of her.  The boar [ever present, vigilant and constantly fearful of its own life] took notice of the wolf and scrambled away. It, at first, stumbled in a hasty hysteria – but soon found its footing and moved in a breakneck gait. Olive kept her gaze unfocused, keeping the entire landscape in view. She wanted to accurately read the situation in order to tell the exact moment when she should take flight and reconstruct herself the inconspicuous terror [that all wolves were, in order to fulfill their most basic of needs].

When the boar was several seconds away from intersecting with Olive’s trajectory, she sprang into action. Her paws pounded the ground as the fae adeptly closed the distance between her and her prey. The woman collided with the creature, jaws agape and desperately seeking the sensation of flesh between her teeth. The force of impact dizzied Olive, but the solid mass of the boar kept her with all feet on the ground. The boar, however, was not so lucky – it had been knocked on its side.

When her jaws found what they sought, Olive could feel the creature’s panic drain into her mouth – the salty, coppery taste coated her tongue and, involuntarily, the fae began to salivate. A rose-hued froth ran from the corners of her mouth and wetted the fur of her neck, stringing it into tendrils. Olive tightened her hold on the boar but it continued to thrash about, in any way it could manage, impervious to the pain and desperately trying to wrench its shoulder free. It was then that Olive noticed that she had missed her target: rather than lacerating the poor creatures neck and completely draining the lifeblood from its body in a quick manner, her jaws found the round of its fleshy shoulder. The pig’s thick skin and layer of fat folded in her small mouth and filled her jaws completely, preventing her teeth from reaching vital muscles and arteries underneath. Had her prey not been flailing about as it had, Olive would have readjusted her grip in favor of a more critical blow – but she feared that the boar would overpower her and escape [only to suffer a prolonged and inconsequential death days later… and that was a worse sentence than anything the two wolves could pass unto it].

Eyes wild and darting, Olive urgently searched for Tivona and prayed that she would be able to recity Olive’s misjudgment and end the wretched thing’s life.

18 Posts
Ooc — Raven
I feel bad because I know I wrote a responce but it didn't seem to get posted. I'll sum it up I don't want to rewrite it all.

Tivona saw the two wrestling and hear the pigs squeils for life. She almost couldn't bare it as her ears flattened to her head. She thought to herslef that it would be over soon, but soemthign was wrong it kept on going. Goign around tot he other side of the pair she saw that Olive was on the boars should not the neck and that it was a non fatal attack area. Almost out of instinct Tivona lundged onto the boar making sure her jaws landed on its throat. She wan't even killing it now for food but to end it's misery.
Just tag or PM me.
775 Posts
Ooc — Rosie
Astronomer
Master Ecologist
Master Midwife
Oh, that’s just the worst!

The animal continued to struggle beneath her, fighting and screeching for life. In reality it only took Tivona several seconds to spring into action [to bring about the wounded boar’s death], but it felt as if it were a lifetime. The grey girl came out of Olive’s periphery and lunged forward, sinking deadly ivories into the plump creatures throat. The hold Olive had on its shoulder caused it to wretch and convulse towards her, easily exposing the tender flesh of it’s neck to it’s second assailant. At that point, it resisted no longer and welcomed the sweet release of death, falling limp between the jaws of the humanist sisters. 

With the blood spilled across the autumn ground and weight of a lifeless body, Olive felt secure enough to relinquish her hold upon they prey. She gently laid the corpse on the ground and regarded the bloodied and distressed scene in front of her. Not all had gone according to plan, but still the creature had received a quicker and less painful death than most. Olive lifted her viridian gaze to Tivona and huffed from exertion.