Duskfire Glacier moonlight sonata
167 Posts
Ooc — mercury
All Welcome 
things seemed, these days, breathtakingly fragile. as if one misstep would send everything to the wind, scattered. Siarut was still on the mend, her daughter yearned for warmth, face after face disappeared. . . what was happening?

she wasn't that superstitious, but sometimes Tahani wondered if their luck had turned for the worse. what had they done wrong? she thought they had followed every rule of nature, toed the line between savagery and civility just right. had made the glacier their home, and given lost souls care along the way.

the names of all they had lost whirled through her mind as she walked over the ice, pelt illuminated by the crescent moon gleaming through the clouds. she lifted her eyes to the shrouded stars, a question writ over her face.

why?
Common · Inuttut
948 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Sleep came even less these days as her worries grew. They had lost many members, and she found herself questioning her leadership skills. Most had left without even a word, so she had no idea why they had been unhappy, and even Taki, as reticent as she was, would have been willing to listen to the problems of her packmates and try to find a solution had they just simply reached out.

She made her way to the border but was intercepted by the sight of her sister looking towards the sky. She moved to her Tahani's side, announcing her presence with a chuff before sitting next to her. Are you okay, sister? she asked, concern crossing her snowy face.
Inuttuk
Common

167 Posts
Ooc — mercury
she turned toward Takiyok and pressed her forehead against her shoulder for a long moment before turning away, drawing a deep, shuddering breath. what has happened to us, sister? the healer asked, gazing over the ice. our numbers have dwindled, Siarut ails. . .why has our good fortune slipped away?

Tahani sighed again, glancing over at her sister. you've done a fine job leading--don't take this upon yourself, she murmured, thinking that perhaps Taki would bear the emotional weight. she was young and prone to misgivings, but so far, nothing she had done had led to this. their misfortune seemed to come from an external source, beyond their control. fate, or what have you.
Common · Inuttut
948 Posts
Ooc — Hela
She sighed, not surprised by her sister's worries; they were the same worries that had been plaguing her recently as well. She offered a comforting nuzzle to Tahani's cheek before speaking. I don't know, sister. I have been wondering the same thing, she answered with a shake of her head. 

Her sister's reassurance did little to soothe the self-doubt that had started creeping into her thoughts recently, but she appreciated the sentiment. She shrugged a little. Thanks, Tahani. She was constantly amazed and thankful for her siblings' faith in her leadership ability even when she didn't always make the best decisions. I sometimes wonder if wolves aren't exactly prepared for life on the glacier, she added. Life here was not for the weak, and she felt like most wolves probably didn't quite understand that fact when seeking a place among their ranks. It was good to weed out the weak, though; she couldn't argue with that. She just tried to hold on to the hope that stronger wolves would join them eventually.
Inuttuk
Common

167 Posts
Ooc — mercury
she pressed closer to her little sister, lending her warmth and strength. Tahani was a woman very much rooted in touch--she knew no other way to show affection. wise and beautiful words she may have, but she preferred the silent grace of nonverbal communication, especially the gentle. she inhaled softly, shaking her head.

i don't know, the healer murmured, looking down at the ice. i think perhaps that is so. the wolves here are not bred for this. not all the time, anyway. they need their summers--rain, warmth. the changing of the seasons. currituck--

the name stuck in her throat and she choked slightly on it, turning away. tears blurred her vision as she spoke again. currituck is uncomfortable. it is too cold for her on the glacier. i think--i think i will have to find another home for her, before it gets even colder.
Common · Inuttut
948 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Taki easily accepted Tahani's affection; as a rule, her family was generally the only wolves she was comfortable receiving touch from. She listened quietly to her sister's words, concern painting her normally stoic features. She had noticed the girl's discomfort as well, but she held on to the hope that she would adjust. She liked Curritcuk, and she didn't want her to leave, but she wouldn't condemn her to a life of conditions her body just wasn't made for. She looked to her sister. If you think that's best, then you have my support, she offered first. She released a small sigh before continuing, I'll miss her. She didn't like admitting her feelings, and it made her a little uncomfortable, but Tahani was her family and wouldn't use it against her. Did you have anywhere in mind? the atausiq asked next, hoping to skim over her admission.
Inuttuk
Common

167 Posts
Ooc — mercury
she shook her head, feeling miserable. no. i don't even know where to start looking, she admitted. what an absolute, complete failure she had been for Currituck. all i know is that she is not comfortable here. and i can't. . .i can't sit back and let that happen. her happiness has to come first.

Tahani breathed deep, glancing at Takiyok. i may or may not stay with her, the healer murmured. depending. how well she settles, where the place is. i don't know if i can let her go, Taki. another sob rose in her throat, and she let it out, a low moan. why has life been so cruel to her, sister?
Common · Inuttut
948 Posts
Ooc — Hela
The thought of Tahani leaving to live somewhere else caused Taki's chest to tighten; she didn't want to be separated from any of her family ever, but she understood. Currituck was her daughter, and so why wouldn't she want to be wherever the girl was? Instead of making her sister more conflicted by informing her how much she hated the idea of being separated from them, she offered possible choices. What about Elysium or one of the packs on the coast? she asked. She didn't know the coastal packs very well, but it was certainly much warmer there. Elysium was still in the mountains, but the temperatures were far warmer than on the glacier. At least if they moved to an allied pack, she would be able to visit. To Tahani's last question, Taki sighed and shrugged a little. I don't know sister. I guess life doesn't really care whether or not you deserve for bad things to happen, she stated. It was a lesson learned by the northerner a long time ago and was not easily forgotten.
Inuttuk
Common

167 Posts
Ooc — mercury
she pursed her lips tight, thinking. perhaps, Tahani said. i'm not familiar with any of them. but if they're warmer. . . that was a gamble she would have to take. for her baby's sake. all for Currituck. even if it broke her heart in the process.

Tahani touched her black nose to Takiyok's snowy shoulder, resting it there for a while. come, sister, she whispered. let's walk for a while. perhaps that will help to get our minds off the bad. she began to move, but only slowly, waiting for their leader to catch her up.
Common · Inuttut
948 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Expect frequent visits from your little sister, she said, trying to lighten things a little if that was even possible. It was the truth, though; she would at the very least be checking on them to make sure they were being treated the way they deserved. 

Taki leaned into her sister's affection. She always felt more centered around her family, even now when they were talking about things that weighed heavy on the atausiq. At the invitation to go for a walk, Taki nodded and moved to Tahani's side. A walk sounds good, she answered with a small smile. She did a lot of walking when her mind was too busy, which was honestly all the time, so she gladly accepted her big sister's offer. Anything to take her mind off of her and Currituck's imminent departure. It would be hard for Taki here without them, but she knew it all was in the best interest of her niece, which was really all that mattered.
Inuttuk
Common