Lost Creek Hollow the love of your life lives
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
All Welcome 
They couldn't leave until Okeanos had met the kids. He said it was to make his farewells, and she knew she needed to do that too, but... It was hard, after having the confusing, teen-angst-riddled conversation with her father, to figure out where they stood or whether it was appropriate to approach him.

Ibis couldn't think of anyone else to say farewell to. Treason hated her (as far as she could tell, and for no reason she could fathom), Liffey and Rannoch had just gotten back from a long trip and were holed up with their kids (which wasn't something Ibis wanted to interrupt), and her bitey half-siblings would probably not remember her even if she did get permission to visit with them for any length of time.

So, Ibis had to wait. She was antsy to get a move on but unclear with the full plan, if there was any. The girl visited her usual haunts: the clover field that had become her sprawling green homestead, visiting each pocket of earth where she had hidden away her flowers and collected plants. Her path wound to where Korei had approached her and she smiled as she recalled how nice it was to meet a new face.

With a deep sigh she pirouetted in the clover field, startled, because the scent of @Terance had grown stronger and she thought she could feel the warmth of someone's gaze upon her — and in the back of her mind, Ibis told herself to relax. If it was her father she should be happy to see him. It was her fault that any ill-feeling was there in the first place. Her and her stupid, thoughtless, emotional self.
guardian of the galaxy
1,292 Posts
Ooc — Magdalyn
Master Guardian
intuition was correct. in was, in fact, terance. he'd finished talking to @Treason, taken a break of his own to do his grieving, and was back on his feet. all within the day. ibis and @Okeanos were his next stop.. after this, @Sarah. but for now, he would talk to ibis. the most amount of mending needed to be done here.

ibis? he called across the clearing to his daughter, can i talk to you, please? he continued closing the distance between them, looking generally a little upset but to no extent angry... especially not at ibis.
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
Her father stood there for only a moment, speaking, drifting closer - and she let him close the distance, standing as still as she could manage. Her tail-tip flicked idly, filled to the brim with uncertainty.

Hi, dad. She murmured — and went silent again, watching him and wondering what he would say, and what she could say. All she wanted to do now was apologize but there was tension between them that hadn't ever existed before, and Ibis was at a loss.
guardian of the galaxy
1,292 Posts
Ooc — Magdalyn
Master Guardian
whoever needed to apologize... it didn't matter, not to terance, and not right now. he paused a few steps off, just for a moment, and then stepped forwards again. i'm sorry about the other day, little bird, he said gently, with an even gentler sigh, i didn't mean to upset you... i just get frustrated sometimes -- and i've never been really good at talking. it wasn't any different now, unsurprisingly, though terance was at least proud he was so articulate when he spoke with rannoch earlier. 

i love you a lot, and i'm really glad you came to join the hollow, he added with a flick of his ears. this was the most important part of this conversation -- why? he wasn't entirely sure... he just knew that he needed to make mends with his daughter. even if it maybe wasn't his fault -- that wasn't what parenting was about. and besides that, he had something very big to ask of her, and he needed her to know this important tidbit of information.
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
Ibis was a good girl. She'd always done what was expected of her and upheld the goodness her mother had taught to her, fostered in her. She had never been put in to a position where her doubt was so strong before, and it wasn't something she liked to experience. It felt like she was preparing for a dressing-down before her parent — she was antsy, unable to meet Terance's eyes as he paused and began to speak. Ibis looks so childish; she's so small, feeling smaller by the minute as she's dwarfed by her father.

She doesn't say anything to the first half of his awkward little speech. The fluttering of her heart distracts her a little bit; she knows Terance is telling the truth and that it was all a misunderstanding — more-so her fault than his — but she can't find the words to explain herself.

Then he's showering her with love again. Love, and talk of the Hollow. This place he had retreated to after his split with her mother. This place he had turned in to a home with another woman. Where her half-siblings would grow up loved, cared for, respected, by two loving parents. Ibis felt the familiar jealousy pulse through her heart but she would not confront him with it.

I'm... glad I came here too, she drawled carefully.

I thought it would be fair to give you a chance. I love mom, and Olive, and Elysium - but I love you too, dad. I wanted -- her voice hitches in her throat and she pauses to think, compose herself. I wanted to get to know you better, to understand why it didn't work with you and mom. I get it now. It wasn't your fault, and it wasn't mom's, it just... It was unavoidable. She didn't want him to hurt over this anymore. Ibis didn't want to hurt over it either; but most of all, she wanted to say: I'm sorry about before. This is all very... confusing.
guardian of the galaxy
1,292 Posts
Ooc — Magdalyn
Master Guardian
he was glad to hear her talk... even though it was a bit strained. maybe she just didn't know what to say -- she certainly got that from her father.

the more she spoke the more than terance felt the familiar heat rise to his throat, pressing against the back of it. it meant to much to terance to hear that, that everything else almost faded away for a minute -- almost. thank you... ibis, he murmured gently to her comment, his dark head dipping low. she apologized, then, and his head shook. there's no need -- this is very confusing. 

then terance hesitated, again, but took a few moments to collect himself, breathe, and then he continued. i'm sorry i -- i have to make this more confusing, he said first, looking at her apologetically before continuing, rannoch and liffey are... leaving -- his voice cracked, and he paused to clear his throat, teeth gritting before he continued onwards again, forcing down the emotion that bubbled at the surface, -- they're going to join another pack -- with their kids, too. i don't know where that leaves the rest of us, exactly. it'll be me and treason and our pups... and your aunt sarah. i don't know who else will stay. 

and.. i have to make a trip, somewhere. i know you wanted to leave with okeanos to go on an adventure but... i want you to stay here, with me, with us. i don't know if we'll stay here or go somewhere else... but i can't stand to lose you again, ibis. he finally built up to it, and it hurt so much to say out loud. he hated asking this of her -- knowing how excited she was. but terance almost couldn't bare the thought of never seeing her again... what if she returned to the hollow and he wasn't there? what would she think. i won't make you stay, i would never do that. but i am asking if you would consider it, he added softly.
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
They were on the same page for all of thirty seconds before Terance muddled it all up again, closing a chapter to one issue of Ibis' short life and making the narrative all about himself. What he needs; what he might lose; she listens because she has to, and Ibis is overwhelmed by the thought of everything disintegrating around her again.

Uncle Rannoch was leaving? That meant Aengus, Sionnac — Breccan! All of the friends she'd made during her stay were going away? -- they're going to join another pack -- Why --? she peeped between her father's syllables. I don't know who else will stay. What was he talking about -- was this damage control?

Ibis entertained the thought of staying for a moment but it was hard to focus, what with the news that everything was changing again. I have to make a trip, somewhere. Ibis felt the weight of her emotion growing heavier, like the air had grown too heavy. She was frowning and didn't realize it. He didn't want to lose her again but -- where was he going? Why would he need to go anywhere? Was he chasing after Rannoch and the kids?

Why would he do that, but not do the same for her? Fight for them but not for his own kids when they had needed him?

You want me to stay -- but you're going away, and everyone else is -- is leaving? She wanted clarity but there was no clarity here. Terance wasn't kidding when he had said it would all be more confusing. You're leaving again? Crackled her little voice, as it lost the rest of its power.
guardian of the galaxy
1,292 Posts
Ooc — Magdalyn
Master Guardian
terance sighed gently to her first comments, mostly because the subject matter themselves was draining enough, it was even more to hear it from his anxious and conclusion-jumping daughter. to be fair, though, terance did give a lot of information at once. kind of, but i'm coming right back, i'm not leaving for long... i want to stay with treason and my sister. rannoch and liffey are leaving to be with some of liffey's family, i don't really understand why, he returned with a small frown, clarifying that much right off the bat, i'm going to visit a friend in the mountains -- her name is hydra, we used to be in the same pack, before i knew rannoch or treason or even your mother. i need to ask her a favor. and.. if you chose to stay with me, i wanted you to travel there with me. i know how to get there, but i'd a scout with me, and i trust you. 

he paused, waiting to see if that was just more information overload or if it registered with her more. i can tell you more about the favor, if you want.
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
Okay, so it wasn't a permanent thing. Then again - with what Okeanos had proposed to her, the two kids wouldn't need to worry about Terance or the pack because they'd be on the road themselves. Thinking of her brother helped to ease some of her worries and lighten that pressure weighing upon her. Ibis knew she should try and keep a level head, not take things so personally — she was doing her best despite the thought of all the change that was on the way. It would be sad to think of her little buddy Aengus romping with strangers somewhere outside of the Hollow, the same unsettling feeling plagued her when she thought of how lonely and quiet the forest would become without all the kids around. There would still be kids here, obviously. Treason's trio weren't going anywhere. Was that what her father wanted? For Ibis to stay and help take care of them with her step-mom?

I'm going to visit a friend in the mountains — her name is Hydra, Terance explained, cutting through whatever thoughts clouded Ibis' brain. She was silent as she listened to her dad explain things. He wanted her to go along with him on this trip - the thought of being on the road with her dad made her eyes gleam; but she thought of Okeanos, and her promise to him. How could she abandon her brother again in favor of her father? The girl's frown returned and she dropped her gaze from Terance's face, looking at her feet, thinking, considering all the options that she had.

I can tell you more about the favor, if you want. Offered the man.
No. She answered, sharp and quick.

There was a lot buzzing through her mind right now and while it was difficult to process the bulk of it, all that mattered to Ibis in the moment was Okeanos. Could she somehow do both? Go with Terance, prove that she loved him and could be there for him (in all the ways he could never be there for her), all the while leaving Okeanos to the open road - or should she cut her ties now, save herself the inevitable heartbreak of their return to a nearly empty pack where she'd be judged by her step-mother? Ibis knew she could never measure up in Treasons eyes because she was physically small and mentally flighty, and the two of them had nothing in common — did she want to endure that?

I'm sorry dad, Ibis finally murmured towards the dirt at her feet, but, she made herself lift her gaze to look at her dad properly. To trace the scars on his face with her bright but sad eyes. Please don't make me choose. Between her father and her brother, there was only ever one choice.
guardian of the galaxy
1,292 Posts
Ooc — Magdalyn
Master Guardian
terance wasn't sure what he expected. the curtness... it hurt, sure, but he was glad he tried. i -- he started, quickly cutting himself short. there was silence between them for a minute before ibis spoke again. she apologized, and when she looked up at him terance watched her look upon his features. he nodded, only once, his own expression and head lowering. 

i would never make you choose, little bird, he murmured gently, i just wanted you to know that.

and then terance fell quiet again, unable to look at anything but his daughters paws for a moment. he wanted to rest. more than anything. close his eyes and grieve for just a little bit longer -- today had just been... so long. but despite all the tension, he knew he only had a few more days with her. maybe a bit longer. when do you and okeanos leave? he asked her, finally looking up, pressing a weak smile to his face, are you excited?
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
Ibis wanted to be present for her father, to show her love for him and to keep the Hollow from crumbling away completely — but she just couldn't choose between these men in her life.

One came equipped with adventure and wonder and all the goodness of familial love; the other had the ball-and-chain that was Treason: chilling, judgemental, and difficult, but that could change if Ibis put the effort forth to try. She knew it was a futile thing to hope for a family reunited in any capacity, and her decision to abstain from a choice might've hurt them both right now, but was the only option that she had left. Ibis could see the pain cross her father's features and wished she could kiss it away, yet she made no move to comfort him. She didn't know how to be his daughter.

After some quiet, he asked about the trip. Maybe he hurt more than she realized and merely wanted them to be gone already — the question stung a bit, but Ibis chose to take the high road. When he's finished meeting the family, and saying his farewells. It wouldn't be long — he didn't know these people like Ibis did, and most of them would be gone before even she could say anything. That hurt the most. Selfishly she stepped forward, pressing her tiny self in to the plush fur of her father's — desirous of his affection and the comfort he could still impart to her.

Are you excited? He asked with a tiny smile.

Ibis wasn't sure - but she smiled back, nuzzling her cheek against him. I think so.
guardian of the galaxy
1,292 Posts
Ooc — Magdalyn
Master Guardian
i hope that means at least a few more days, terance admitted as ibis stepped closer to press herself to him. he wished she wouldn't, it only made the burning in his throat grow hotter -- it grew tighter. he felt like he was choking. he gave her head a few gentle kisses instead, focusing on literally anything else. currently, treason, thanking every god he could think of for her level-headedness... among other things. he prayed he'd never lose her -- above all.

good, he rumbled anyway, somehow maintaining a steady voice, my sister and i set out to adventure at your age, too. that's how we ended up here. he did, at least, understand that part honestly. kids just... left the nest. he just wished it didn't have to be now. you'll both have a great time -- you'll learn a lot.
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
It occurred to Ibis as her father spoke of his own past - beyond the fact she knew very little about his life before she was born, or her grandparents and family on his side - that maybe the similarities between Okeanos, Ibis, and Terance's own experiences might've been.. Frightening. Her father was a warrior, a leader, and it was hard for Ibis to picture him afraid.

She swallows a lump in her throat and draws back from him, letting the cool air slip between the two of them. Ibis looks at her father with a curious expression, and with a voice far more level than she's ever used before, and a calm that went beyond her youth, she asked, We won't go far away. And we'll visit -- She thought that maybe Terance was afraid that something would happen to his kids. That they might leave the Wilds and settle somewhere out of his reach - but Ibis didn't want that. He didn't have to be afraid of this change. And maybe we'll be back sooner than you think.

The fact that the pack would not survive without the additional bodies had not entered her mind; she'd forgotten because Java is distracted by Netflix so lets just say she's airheaded, just like her author.
guardian of the galaxy
1,292 Posts
Ooc — Magdalyn
Master Guardian
terance nodded, smiling at the sentiment... but she must've missed what he'd said earlier. i'd hope so, he purled to her despite the hole that sucked the cheer from his breath -- he tried, though. i worry we will leave the forest, though... i wouldn't leave the wilds, but i don't know how far we'll be when you return, he added, more gently this time. he wondered if she'd understand this... there wouldn't be enough wolves left in the hollow to properly defend it from scavengers.
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
She nodded as she remembered; how silly of her to forget the exodus that was occurring as they spoke? But she had only her brother and the upcoming adventure in mind, and the news of the pack's disintegration - however fresh - sounded too apocalyptic. Terance corrected her quietly. Mentioned that things might not ever be the same, making Ibis feel more on-edge for a split second. She opened her mouth to say something but didn't know what would fall from her lips, but she need not have bothered. Okeanos' voice called from the borders and the girl was briefly distracted by it. Then, glancing to her father, she passed him a thin smile and stepped away from his company, leading the way to where her brother waited.