Whitefish River When the thunder calls for me
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
Private 

She had run for hours, fueled by adrenaline, until her legs collapsed beneath her and she fell to the ground in some dark forest. She was too upset to think about her surroundings and whether or not she knew that place. Tears had flowed from her eyes until she numbly fell asleep, waking a few hours later in a panic when she realized she had lost precious time. The healer had no idea if they had even chased her beyond the borders; she had been too scared to look back and much too focused on running as fast as her legs would allow.

She came to the familiar river as the sun settled high in the sky. It felt like a lifetime since she had been here last, and she could hardly remember what it was like to be that carefree wanderer. In fact, it only made tears well up in her eyes again to try and picture her life before Moonspear. How could she have made such a mess of everything? This wasn't who she was; she didn't hurt others. But, there was no denying that she had left a disaster on the mountain, one that was likely to have many far-reaching consequences. 

Her shoulder was hurting quite a bit; the running had made the wound bleed a lot, and she had torn it open more when she fell. She knew she couldn't let it get infected, so she walked into the cold water until it flowed against the injury and began to remove the debris from it. She watched as dirt and blood moved from her skin to be washed away by the water; if only the water could wash away her mistakes too.
I'M JUST A BELIEVER THAT THINGS WILL GET BETTER
i don't wanna let it go
566 Posts
Ooc — mista
Patrolling Whitefish River is a habit by now, yet it never ceases to leave the bearish wolf feeling accomplished. Each marker a step closer to maintaining their territory, and letting others know that the Kaistleoki wolves are officially beginning to move in. Alas, as the sun starts to set, Evergreen moves like clockwork; striding across the boundaries with practiced ease.

Of course, as his journey continues, he finds himself parched. Jaws parted, he shifts his direction towards the river he’s grown to know and love. The shallow parts are a favorite of his, if only because he enjoys lazing amongst the cool pools as the summer heat slowly starts to seep into the Wilds.

Round ears swerve ahead, and he pauses in his steps. It is not bizarre to hear the splashing of water any longer, for Kaistleoki grows more in number by the day. Shaking off the feeling, Evergreen continues. Only to spot that it is a stranger, and… she’s hurt.

“Miss?” He rushes forward, pausing at the shoreline. Probably not a good idea to go lunging in. Eve would feel terrible if he ends up startling her. “Are you okay? What happened?” His ears flatten, concern clear as day in his voice and expression.
Working on wrapping up current threads!
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
She jumped at the sound of his voice, eyes briefly widening as they moved from her shoulder to the large stranger at the edge of the water. She opened her mouth to speak but then froze, unsure how even to answer. She was the furthest thing from okay, and she wasn't even sure she could do anything about it. She had ruined her place on the mountain that had been her home since winter, and now she was pregnant and alone. Her eyes watered, and she looked back down at her wound, shaking her head after few seconds. She tried again to find something to say, but no words came. Nothing she thought of seemed to encompass exactly how much she was not okay. 

I just need to get this clean and then find something to keep it from getting infected, she finally said as she limped from the water, deciding to focus on what she could control. She hurt too much to shake the water from her fur, so she just let it drip down all over the ground. Have you seen any golden flowers nearby? she asked quietly, averting her gaze out of habit.
i don't wanna let it go
566 Posts
Ooc — mista
Shit, okay, so he failed with that.

His ears flicker back, apologetic as she startled at his voice. Evergreen feels a lump forming in his throat. While he does not know what transpired for the injured woman, it is easy to see that the situation is far from… alright. It breaks his heart to see so many crumbling, and yet, like those before her, this one remains strong.

Admiration. That’s what Evergreen feels overwhelm him, as he watches her gather tormenting emotions and muster a response. Even, collected. He steps forward, his forelimbs slipping into the water as she approaches the shore. Her limping has him nervous.

“I… yeah, I think so…” He’s seen Sindri, their pack medic of sorts, use them before. “Uhm, you can… sit here! And I’ll be right back with them, okay?” Without waiting for an answer, Evergreen turns and rushes in the direction he thought he saw the flowers.

His mind races, colors flashing within his limited vision. He almost grows frustrated as more time passes without him able to pinpoint the yellow flowers he spotted. Hell, he isn’t even positive if these are the ones she needs.

Eventually, he spots them, and with an “aha!” he storms his way back to the shoreline in a rush. The flowers safely in his mouth, he does his best to keep from destroying them completely.
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
She found herself smiling a bit as he spoke, his eagerness to help a welcome change from the last few weeks of her life. She didn't have much energy to do much else than sit and wait for him, so she nodded and offered a small: Okay.

She watched him leave and then darted her gaze around the grasslands around her, checking for any sign that anyone had followed her. The longer she sat there alone, the more her mind convinced her that someone had definitely followed her here and would be jumping out to attack her at any second. Her heart began to race, and she jumped at a movement from the corner of her vision, closing her eyes and releasing a heavy sigh when she realized it had just been a bird flapping its way from the tall grass. 

She thought she might cry again when he finally returned. She felt safer now that he was here again; she didn't know him at all, but there was something calming and reassuring about his energy. The plants he brought were, thankfully, the correct ones; it didn't even matter if he damaged them because she was just going to chew the flowers up anyway. 

She waited for him the place his mouthful on the ground before slowly lowering her head and taking some of the golden petals into her mouth. She chewed them until their texture resembled a paste and then carefully applied them to a section of her injury. Her gaze flicked up to meet his for the barest of seconds as she moved her muzzle back towards the flowers to gather more. Thank you, this really helps, she offered right before she pulled more petals from the plants.
i don't wanna let it go
566 Posts
Ooc — mista
Feeling out of breath simply for rushing as he did, Eve is relieved to see she really did stay. He feared she would have left, and while the bearish wolf would not have blamed her for doing so, he is glad she hadn't.

He slows to a trot as he approaches, a mess of golden flowers hanging from his mouth with the majority pulled at the roots. Once he is close enough, he sets the clump gently on the ground in front of her. His ears swerving with uncertainty, but a small smile curves on his dark brown muzzle.

Uhm, yeah, of course, he rambles, and gives a tiny nod of his head. Deciding to stop hovering awkwardly, Eve takes a seat, and makes sure he isn't in her personal space. I can, uh, grab more too, if you need... or show you where they are. We got a healer, too, and she's really nice. So far Sindri has saved a lot of wolves simply out of the goodness in her heart.
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
She chewed the petals and applied more to her wound. She was about to shake her head and tell him that this would be plenty for now, but his last words made her freeze. We? Had she unknowingly stumbled into a packs territory? She stood suddenly then, wincing a little despite her panic. I'm sorry if  I'm trespassing, she said quickly. How could she still be so stupid? Even now, when she was the only one left to keep her unborn children safe, she hadn't paid enough attention to her surroundings. She took a slow step back. I can leave, and I'll repay you for the plants, the healer offered next, knowing well the kind of work that went into caring for a pack. She could easily collect more flowers and bring them back.
i don't wanna let it go
566 Posts
Ooc — mista
His ears flatten, worry etched in his face when she stands. It seems as if she had not noticed, and Evergreen could not fault her. The pack is still new, technically not even "official", so they're currently working on strengthening their borders. The bear stands, too, shaking his head quickly.

No, it's okay. Please rest, it's safe here, and we won't harm you, he offers—panic rising in his stomach, too. Evergreen would feel awful, if she left and was out there injured and possibly alone. There's no way he would be able to sleep tonight, from guilt, if she turns away now.
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
Tears blurred her vision, and she couldn't stop them from spilling out onto her cheeks this time. That's very kind of you, she offered shakily, sitting back down. Truthfully, she wasn't even sure how far she could have even made it from here; her shoulder was throbbing, and she was so tired. Still, she felt she needed to be truthful with him before she accepted his help. She was done lying. I need to be honest about my situation first, though, she said, her voice steady now with resolve. I messed up...really messed up, and the beta of my old pack gave me this wound, and she and her siblings chased me from the borders. She stopped and swallowed, lifting her gaze to search his expression for the condemnation she deserved. And I'm...pregnant, she continued, afraid she would cry again as she uttered the word, but she held it together. That's how I messed up. I deserved what happened to me, but I don't know if any of them followed me, and you've been so kind, and-- She began to cry again. I don't want to bring all of that here. No one else should have to pay for my mistakes.
i don't wanna let it go
566 Posts
Ooc — mista
At this rate, everyone is destined to tear at Evergreen's heart strings. He wants so badly to offer comfort when the dams finally break and tears begin to shed from women's eyes. His ears twitch, and the bear can't resist leaning forward to gently press his nose to her uninjured shoulder.

Of course, he does not expect the unraveling of her story. Chased out similar to how Winterbourne had been, but in this instance injured both heart and body, the woman tells him of the grave mistake she made. Mismatched green eyes blink, widening in surprise as his mouth goes agape. He is more saddened and shocked than anything. How could someone chase out another in need like this? Why are other packs so damned to punish with the loss of homes?

You made a mistake, he says, and she knows this—having spoken clearly that she deserves such a harsh punishment. But that does not mean you deserve to be alone, especially now when you have other lives to take care of, too. If they come for you, we'll deal with it when it happens. Your children don't deserve to suffer further, and neither do you... She has already been through so much, and seeing her crumble before him makes the bear wish he could do more.
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
She leaned into the touch, grateful for the comfort and even more grateful that, when she searched his face again, she didn't see the hate she had seen in Hydra's expression. Tears flowed steadily from her eyes, beyond her control at this point. How could he just accept what she told him and vow to protect her? But, it's what she would have done had their roles been reversed, and she knew then for sure that he was a good man. It would be a long time before she could forgive herself, if she ever could, but she knew she needed help, and she would do anything to keep her babies safe. 

Unable to stop herself, she pressed her face into his chest. She needed the comfort he was providing, and she was too weak and raw to deny herself what she didn't think she deserved. Th-Thank you, she said quietly. 

She pulled back a little so that she could look at him with puffy eyes. I'm a medic, too. I can help you guys in whatever way you need. Even with her life in shambles, she couldn't just leech off of his pack; she wouldn't allow herself to be anymore of a burden than she could help.
i don't wanna let it go
566 Posts
Ooc — mista
It will take time for the wounds to heal, but Evergreen can at least extend this hand out to her. He knows the rest of the pack will feel similar, and welcome such a sweet wolf into their ranks. Despite what happened, she still deserves a second chance.

He stiffens in surprise as she presses into the thick of his mane, yet quickly relaxes and moves to gently press his chin overtop of her head. He leans forward, one forearm lifting to hug the tearful mother. A soft coo escapes his lips in an attempt at soothing her further.

That would be amazing. Eve's smile softens, appreciative of the help she extends back to them. Medics were always important. Thank you for helping us, too. Oh, uhm. I guess I should tell you who we are. Eve seems to skip out on that detail a lot lately, but to be fair, this is all new to him, too. We're called Kaistleoki, kind of focused on... new beginnings, so you ended up at the right place. Maybe too soon for bad jokes, but hey, if it somehow manages to get a smile out of her he'll be happy.

And I'm the leader. My name is Evergreen.
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
She felt him stiffen at first and almost pulled away, immediately feeling guilty that she had made him uncomfortable. But then he relaxed, and she let him envelope her in a hug, tears forming again and falling down her face before she finally reigned them in. 

He surprised her again when he thanked her for her help; it was really the least she could do, especially since she never minded offering her help as a healer. She listened quietly as he told her the name of his pack, sniffling in the aftermath of her tears. His joke  did actually make her smile a little, mostly because she was just incredibly thankful for his kindness.

He introduced himself, stating that he was the leader of Kaistleoki, and she dipped her head a little. She felt a little embarrassed that she had been crying at the leader, but he had handled it all with compassion. She certainly owed him more than she was sure she could ever repay, but that wouldn't stop her from trying. She could start with her loyalty.

My name is Speedy, she replied in return. I don't know how to ever repay you for helping me, but I'm going to start by pledging my loyalty and healing abilities to you and your pack.
i don't wanna let it go
566 Posts
Ooc — mista
Speedy; it's a cute name. The sort his mother, Oki, is thrilled about and would likely be tempted to gush over. He can imagine her poking and smothering the to-be mother in so much affection right now. Sort of wished she was here, if he's honest, because then maybe she'd know what to do when it came to babies.

Eve keeps tucked close to her, nonetheless, and finds warmth bubbling in his chest as Speedy goes so far to pledge herself loyal to Kaistleoki. He wouldn't have asked her to go so far, but this turn of events is more than welcomed. This shows in the way his tail beats fast behind him.

Thank you, Speedy. Appreciation is something he ought to express more to the people around him. And it's nice to meet you, despite the, uh, circumstances. If it wasn't him, or Kaistleoki, he wonders if she would be safe like she is now... fate seems to work in mysterious ways.

I can... show you around? Or we can find a spot for you to rest, at least. She looks tired, is injured and pregnant... resting sounds good. Sindri would probably be nagging the same thing right now. That reminds him... Oh, and uh, the other medic we have, her name is @Sindri. I'm positive she'd love to meet you. And there's another wolf, named Winterbourne, that I think you'd get along well with. Really, he's certain all of them will adore Speedy and her kids, but these two stick out especially. He won't tell her why in regards to Winterbourne—it isn't his place—but maybe they can help each other with what they've both been through recently.
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
She wished they could have met under better circumstances. She could have easily run into him during one of her explorations, and they could have had a nice conversation with no tears or tragedy. But, she was glad to have found him here regardless. 

That would be great, but I'm afraid I'm too tired for a tour right now. She smiled again, glad to have a reason to after so much sadness. I'd love for you to show me around later, though, if that's okay, she offered. She wanted to know more about him and his pack, and she thought having a safe place to rest for a bit would have her feeling much more up to the task.

The mention of the other medic's name piqued her interest, and she made a note to seek her out soon, as well as the other wolf he mentioned. Thank you, Evergreen, for everything, Speedy replied, pressing further against him. I'll make sure to find them both and introduce myself.
i don't wanna let it go
566 Posts
Ooc — mista
Understandably so, Speedy is likely exhausted. A much needed break is in order, and hopefully she can nap comfortably underneath Kaistleoki’s umbrella.

“Of course! I would be happy to.” After all, Whitefish River is something he is honestly proud to show off. There are still places that the bear wants to investigate further, too.

Pleased and shy all in one, he feels his face grow warm. Honestly, he’s just relieved she seems okay now, and isn’t out there without anyone to rely on. Resisting the temptation to reply with more “thank you”s, Eve simply presses a kiss to her forehead.

“You should get some rest, and if you need anything, let me know? There are others around, too, and they’re all friendly.” He thinks anyone in Kaistleoki would be more than willing to give Speedy a helping hand.
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
She felt so relieved that she thought she might cry again, especially when she felt his kiss to her forehead. She wasn't really sure how she had been so lucky to find him and his pack; she had left too much destruction on the mountain to deserve all of this kindness.

She nodded at first to his last words, looking forward to meeting everyone eventually, but then sudden panic made her heart race, and she looked up at him with wide eyes. Will you stay with me? she asked, looking away shyly. At least until I fall asleep? She knew it was a little much to ask right away, but she didn't want to be alone; she knew she wouldn't be able to fall asleep if she was. Her mind would race and dwell on everything that had happened recently, and she would end up an anxious mess with no possibility of sleep anytime soon.
i don't wanna let it go
566 Posts
Ooc — mista
cuddles speedy forever

Just about to pull away from the comforting embrace, Evergreen halts in his movements. Panic quickly consumes Speedy, and he cannot fault her for it. Having gone through such a harsh situation, he wouldn't want to be alone either—Thistle's death had been proof of this. So he tucks close to her, pressing in as if to promise he would not go anywhere.

Yeah, of course. The shoreline is not a comfortable place for a nap per se, however, so Eve gives her a reassuring smile before gesturing for her to follow him further into Kaistleoki territory. He lays down next to a tree, one side of him shaded, the other basking in the sun, uncertain which the mother-to-be might prefer.

I'll take you on that tour once you're up. He offers, thinking maybe that way, Speedy might become more comfortable, too, so Whitefish isn't so unknown.
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
<3

Relief slowed her heart back to a more normal rate when he agreed to stay with her, and she nodded, getting to her feet to follow him wherever he was going. 

He settled next to a tree, and Speedy limped over to the side that would allow the sun to warm her fur and curled up against him. When he spoke again, she smiled, comforted further by the implication that he was staying until she woke; she had only asked for him to stay until she fell asleep but secretly, she was glad he would be there when she woke up.

Deal, she answered with a yawn, snuggling closer. The sun and his soothing presence mixed with her complete exhaustion quickly made her eyelids heavy and seconds after laying her head on her paws, her eyes closed and sleep overtook the healer. His presence would continue to comfort her while she slept, making her slumber dreamless and restful, which was exactly what she needed.