Emberwood I would be complex, I would be cool.
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
All Welcome 
Anyone going for Medic; or maybe @Sativa, if you'd like a thread?

Ibis really wasn't feeling so hot. Well, she was, but it was fever-hot rather than healthy-hot, and the warmth emanating from her body was enough to make the cold of the season feel all the more tangible. She had been scouting another segment of the forest when the chills hit her hard, and so she'd stopped trying to map the area and sequestered herself beneath the boughs of one of the trees.

It wasn't entirely barren of snow here, but the branches were dense and interlocking, holding the snow at bay for the most part. She turned on the spot a few times - until she was too dizzy - and curled up upon the exposed dirt, trying to warm up. Her nose continued to run, streaking her whip-like tail with fluid, and her eyes felt weepy even as she closed them. It wasn't a good feeling at all, but Ibis didn't know who to seek out for help, and she certainly didn't want whatever-this-was to spread to her friends.

While she lingered in her little hide-away she thought of Reiko, and wondered briefly if the pale beauty had any tricks up her sleeve for this illness; or maybe Bhediya would know something? Soon enough Ibis was drifting in to a soggy half-sleep, and whatever considerations she tried to make soon vanished from her mind.
435 Posts
Ooc — Me
Contrary to Ibis Sarah's health had gradually improved. The body had fended off the infection, a month and a half after the fight over the dead moose on the other side of the map, the wounds had begun to close. A tender pale skin had grown over, where the flesh had been exposed. The she-wolf no longer suffered from fevers, her mind was sharp, clear and analytical. A precise and perfect instrument that was back in action again. 

All this time she had remained with Ibis's group to monitor, who came and joined her. Surprisingly the number of girl's followers had increased by quite a lot, she had even spied a familiar face of a certain tall dark stranger that she had met many months earlier. It was a little suspicious that an alpha of a pack would now find himself submitting to a barely two years old wolf, but she decided to ask the questions, when the timing felt right. 

Hunting was a little harder, her movements were a little rusty, it took time to kick her joints and stiff muscles in action and her lungs had not quite recovered from the infection, which meant that she tired more easily than before. But for now she was glad for every bit of energy and function she could get hold of. This morning had left her breathless, but no longer hungry. A muskrat was warming and fermenting inside her stomach, while she carried another in her jaws to give something to Ibis.

It is worth noting that Sarah did not share her food ever. So the fact that she thought of her niece, who had been under the weather recently, is admireable. It does not exactly show that the grizzled battle-axe had a heart, but that she did favour the young girl more than anyone else. She found the girl, hiding, curled up and away from the rest of the group. Ibis did not look well at all, but, if she was a relative of Sarah's, then she would get better. Even if the girl had taken 80% of her mother and only 20% from father (genetically impossible, but Sarah does not know biology), there had to be some tough survivalist streak in her.

She put the muskrat down and gently touched the girl's shoulder to wake her.
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
Anyone else might have arisen at the smell of the muskrat, of the death and the meat and the freshness of it. Ibis was too far gone; her brain buzzing with fever dreams and her body too exhausted while fighting the illness. She had spent too much time travelling, too much energy talking to everyone and making sure everything was working out—she had not treated her body very well in the past few weeks as a result. To add in to that the effects of the famine, well, she wasn't doing well. When Sarah pressed her shoulder she shifted sleepily and would've kept on sleeping — but that's pretty boring and that's not conductive of a collaborative writing thread.

So she wakes up. Slow, groggy, blinking a dampness from her eyes. The corners are crusted. Her nose is crusty too, and dry, and she cannot help but run her tongue across it even if it feels rough like sandpaper. The smell finally hits her at that point but she isn't really hungry; another effect of her fever. A little yawn draws out of her and she huffs, coughs a little, turns to look around, and sees her aunt. Sarah, Ibis lilts, swallowing phlegm. That's when she notices the muskrat beside her, and perks up a little bit.

Is this for me...? Sniffle, sniffle... Hopeful stare.
435 Posts
Ooc — Me
Ibis woke up and did not looked pretty, Sarah's gaze travelled the length of the girl's stature, saw exhaustion and sleepiness, she sensed the heat radiating from the fever that was raging within and the smell of illness. Still it was nowhere as bad as it had been for the older wolf, so, while not being any medic, she was convinced that with food and care her niece would pull through. As a leader of a new pack - she had to. As a loyal guardian, her aunt would make sure that she would.

"Keep it for later, if you do not want to eat it now," Sarah told her calmly. Her manner was business-like - Ibis would not hear a "oh, you poor baby" or "don't worry, you will get better soon". Those were just empty words, the old hag was a person that saw more reason in finding practical solutions, not wailing. "But you have to eat, even if you do not feel like it. You may be sick, but your body is starving." 
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
Sorry for the wait!

The suggestion to keep it for later was a good one, but even with Ibis lacking any sort of appetite she knew she needed to eat something, anything, and it was better to gorge herself while she was awake and had the energy to do so. So she began to pick at the offering, nibbling at some of the flesh; going through the motions without stowing away much of the meat. It tasted stale on her tongue—and as swiftly as she'd begun pecking at it, now the young woman left it tucked against her side.

I'll try later. She offered in response to her aunt's commentary, and weakly smiled. How are you doing—have you been up to much? Ibis couldn't tell how long she'd been sick and she wasn't up to speed on any of the recent goings-on, what with her hermit status right now.
435 Posts
Ooc — Me
Sarah wondered, if she should come back later and check upon Ibis to know for sure that she had finished her meal, but decided against it. Though young and very inexperienced in her opinion, the girl was a leader. They had certain freedoms that other subordinates did not. Besides, it would not look good, if a soldier would boss her superior around. That would be beyond embarrassing.

"I am on the mend," she replied, referring to the first weeks she had spent with her niece's group and how useless she had been then. "I have been patrolling borders and I spoke with Awol about sparring and getting back in shape. You need a good set of mercenaries," she stated the facts.
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
Hunters were the highest of her priorities, and scouts - based on her personal focus, her desire to live vicariously through their stories and their adventures. But when her aunt mentions mercenaries her ears twist. She doesn't know what use they could be; her life has always been so sheltered that Ibis cannot fathom turning her friends in to warriors for her cause - whatever that might entail. However, it was good to think about.

Mercenaries— she parrots back, as if to cement the idea in her brain. Do you think that's necessary? We haven't run in to any issues so far. Unless they have, and people chose not to bring it to her attention? A fleeting doubt spoils her for a moment, sours her expression and fills her with concern. I'd suggest talking to Kavik about that, either way. I have no such training or skill, and he... I think he would be useful in that regard. Delegation was a key component to leadership, right?
435 Posts
Ooc — Me
Sarah let out a small sigh, when Ibis disregarded the need for mercenaries of any kind. That was the thing with young leaders - they thought that, if they were good and nice and kind to the rest of the world, then it would offer the same attitude in return. When the reality was much harsher in Sarah's experience. It was safer to assume that all people were selfish bastards and be pleasently disappointed, if it turned out that they weren't. Not the other way round.

"The best way to keep peace is to be ready for a war," Sarah replied in serious tone. "I will speak to Kavik as soon as possible," she nodded. "Anyone else could be a good candidate to address?"
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
It was good to have her aunt here to ask these questions and make these determinations; she would have been well-suited as the pack's Paladin if Kavik were not available, and truthfully Cerulean should have thought of her aunt before enlisting the ex-leader in the role, but at the very least she could still learn from Sarah regardless of her station. It would be an eye-opening experience should the Emberwood wolves be the subject of an onslaught. As far as Ibis knew, the world was simple - good triumphed over evil, and the worst she had ever seen had come by way of the shaking earth, not via the teeth of any enemies. She was oblivious to the dangers.

There is also Kukulkan, if he's available. He's a rogue-type but I believe his experience might be of use. Awol too, maybe, although he has become quite a scout and I am not sure if his skills in combat would match. She paused a moment to think, trying to recall all the names of their mixed bag of wolves, and added: An older woman was invited to stay with us by Kavik, so perhaps he can direct you towards her as well -- I think her name is Gretta? Grizzle? Its a G-name, um... And there's also Marten. They did have quite a few larger wolves at their disposal, which would help Sarah's quest to build up some mercenaries.
435 Posts
Ooc — Me
Ibis did not protest much after Sarah had explained her reasons and she was glad that she did not have to do it twice. This, however, made her wonder, how easily influenced the girl could be and whether those, who surrounded her in the leadership tier, were trustworthy enough. Kavik, for example, having been an alpha before, could have ambitions. Bhediya character was very odd as well. She had not figured either of them out. Yet.

"I will see to it," she replied simply and raised to her feet, ready to go and start the job. "I will bring you something tomorrow as well," she promissed. "Get well soon," she wished with a sincere look in her eyes.

Last one from me, but we can start a new one, if you have time.