Chimera Fields Do we both confide?
I've learned to lose you, can't afford to
813 Posts
Ooc — hela
Warrior
Private 

The familiarity of the field was a comfort after her day of traveling. Her shoulder felt a little better directly after her soak, but after scaling back up the side of the quarry and beginning to make her way home, it was as sore as it had been before and seeping the watery fluid again. As she had been all day, she ignored it, especially knowing she would be home soon and could soak again and find a spot to rest for a while.

She walked at a slower pace, unable to keep from limping just a little. She took the time to scan the grassland around her, though, wishing the sky was more clear so that she could see the stars. She caught glimpses of them as she moved, but mostly it was just the grey mist of the clouds. The air had grown colder as the sun set, but she never minded the chill. If she had felt better, it would make her frisky, but she was content to make her way slowly back home.
Inuttuk
Common
102 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
His wanderings took him this way and that. Draper the wanderer, as he had taken to calling himself in his head. He was a Featherwind by blood, and he still claimed that name, but what use was it when there were no others like himself in the area? The only one he had come across was half-wolf, and Charles hadn't even known where his blood came from. He claimed to be without a father, but one look at him had told Draper everything he'd needed to know. Which reminded him, he should swing by and see if he couldn't check in on the kid. That was at least one friendly face he could count on being around, right?

Draper didn't know exactly where Charles lived, but he figured if he could get close enough to his home, his scent might be prevalent enough for the coyote to pick up on it. He headed in the general direction of the fen, remembering that was where he'd met Charles. He couldn't live too far away from there, right?

The clouds overhead made it more difficult to see as the sun went down, and Draper figured this was as good a place as any to settle in for the night. At least, he thought that until he spotted the lone figure in the distance, stark white coat against the backdrop of the night. The coyote's enlarged ears honed in on the other canine, watching from afar to see if she might chase him off. If experience had taught him anything, it was that waiting and watching was a good first step. Approaching wolves had long since been removed from his first moves.
Bramblepoint

[Image: coyote.png]
player preferences
813 Posts
Ooc — hela
Warrior
She didn't notice the presence of another at first; she just continued along at a slow pace, the tips of the trees that made her forest in her sights when she scanned the horizon. It wasn't until the breeze brought the scent of the creature with it that she knew she was no longer alone. Her last interaction with a coyote had not gone well, and she wasn't sure what to make of this one. She wasn't really up for a fight, but she would do what needed to be done to stay safe. 

She paused and looked around, catching a glimpse of his large, sandy ears among the grass. She was able to follow the lines of his ears down to his head and then focus on his face. He looked to be wary, just like she was, but still she was unsure. She didn't necessarily have anything against her cousins, and she was willing to coexist, so long as they offered her the same in return. She watched him silently for a few moments, her posture uncertain but holding no aggression yet.
Inuttuk
Common
102 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Every encounter with a wolf was a new one. No two ever went the same, and each one seemed to have a slightly different (though usually negative) reaction. It wore on Draper, even though he had come to expect the uncertainty of it all. He wore plenty of scars, though most were small, to reflect the many times he'd been approached by the larger species. Very occasionally, he found some polite conversation, which he yearned for as any creature did. Socializing with his own kind was preferred, merely due to the fact that they were less likely to rip him to shreds, but he wasn't opposed to making acquaintances with larger canines.

The white wraith was quiet, peering at him, but not yet moving. Draper was reluctant to be the first one to speak or make a move, so he stayed where he was, ready to flee if the need arose.
Bramblepoint

player preferences
813 Posts
Ooc — hela
Warrior
He seemed just as wary as she was, which made her slightly less suspicious of him—enough that she visibly relaxed some and began to dip her head, the gesture eventually switching over to a stiff nod—a silent greeting and hopefully the beginning to an agreement that she wouldn't do anything so long as he didn't.

If he didn't take off or charge her, she would turn to face him and take a seat. Her expression didn't completely let go of it's uncertainty, but there was definitely an obvious interest there now. She would wait to say anything until he returned her interest. Maybe she could learn something useful from him.
Inuttuk
Common
102 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
She gave him a silent agreement that she did not wish him harm, and although Draper was still uneasy, he knew it was about as close as he would get to being wholly accepted. He relaxed, just a little, and rolled his shoulders back as he folded his haunches beneath him.

Name's Draper Featherwind, he said. If she made even one hostile move toward him, he'd be outta here fast. If she didn't, Draper would welcome the conversation, even though they were from different worlds.
Bramblepoint

player preferences
813 Posts
Ooc — hela
Warrior
I'm Simmik, she offered in return, choosing to leave her own last name out because it wasn't really habit for her to add it in with an introduction. I live in the forest back there, she said next, lifting her head in the direction of her home. 

Okay, so now what? They introduced themselves, and now she wondered what kinds of questions she might have for him. Do you live somewhere around here? she asked, although she wasn't sure he would answer. She thought maybe she shouldn't have asked, but too late. She watched him as she waited, studying any emotions if they flickered across his face.
Inuttuk
Common
102 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
It was rare for Draper to know the name of a wolf. Oftentimes, he would give his name and receive nothing in return. Simmik seemed of a different variety than he was used to, and he allowed himself to relax a little bit more. He couldn't allow himself to be completely at ease, but he could give her more leeway than he might with any other wolf. With a name, and now the location of her home, Draper thought she might even be trying to build trust with him. Being the anxious, paranoid type he was, he assumed this would only be used against him.

"You're being an idiot," he thought to himself.

Not really, he said. I've been traveling for awhile. Do you often make company with coyotes?

His question was pointed, but he did want to know. Was this a one-time thing, or was this part of her regular routine? It was curious behavior. Draper was far more used to being attacked by wolves. To have a friendly conversation with one was almost unheard of. Not that it had never happened, but those instances had been few and far between.
Bramblepoint

player preferences
813 Posts
Ooc — hela
Warrior
He relaxed a little, and so did she. It seemed he wasn't intending to cause any trouble, for now anyway. His answer to her question was vague but then he elaborated a little more, telling her that he had been traveling. Simmik nodded, and then he followed his answer with a question of his own.

Simmik shrugged. Not really, she answered, giving him his own words in return. But then she continued: I can't say that I run into many coyotes. The last one had been then one she helped kill, but it was a mercy for the creature, really. Another had already started the process and was being somewhat cruel in her opinion. Is that weird or something? She asked. It was kind of an unexpected question, and she wondered if there was some reason behind it.
Inuttuk
Common
102 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Why was it that so many of these wolves he ran into seemed to play dumb when it came to coyotes? That is, those who weren't trying to eat his face.

Usually, wolves go all bitey face on me. I guess coyotes have a 'reputation,' but I swear it's largely unfounded. All the coyotes I know just want your scraps that you leave behind.

"And some want your women," Draper thought, but he kept that one to himself. As for himself, he wasn't as picky as he thought he would be when it came to that sort of thing. He idly wondered if Simmik was hitched. She was a bit tall for his tastes, but if the circumstances were right... he could almost kinda see it.

Fat chance of that ever happening, even if she had been his type.
Bramblepoint

player preferences
813 Posts
Ooc — hela
Warrior
I see, she said first, then she shrugged a little. Well, I don't typically go around attacking others who haven't done anything to me first, She told him. Of course, she was not one to leave a fight, but she didn't generally start things, especially with strangers. There were a few wolves whose faces she would bite off if she saw them, but that was a different story. 

She studied him curiously. They could have a beneficial friendship, she thought. He traveled a lot and probably knew things before they would, and she had resources not very easy to come by when you were on your own. And what about you? she asked. What is it that you want?
Inuttuk
Common
102 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
He was not sure how much he believed her (especially with her use of the word "typically"), but she had not attacked him, so that was a step in the right direction. As long as he did not have to go through another round of "kill the coyote," he was happy. His body could use the break, and maybe he might actually have a productive conversation with a wolf for once.

When she asked what he wanted, Draper was surprised. He had not been expecting that question at all. It was so rare for anybody to ask what he wanted. He thought about saying the obvious (to not be the victim of attempted murder every other day), but he got the feeling that was not really what she was asking. Maybe he could do a deep dive on what he actually wanted. Not just things he did not want.

Stability. Friends. Maybe even a family someday. That last one seemed especially far-fetched, given his circumstances. Draper had yet to meet a lady coyote who he had liked, and while meeting Charles had given him ideas, the thought of shacking up with a wolf still felt a bit odd to him.
Bramblepoint

player preferences
813 Posts
Ooc — hela
Warrior
What he gave her all seemed like pretty normal things to want. In fact, she would bet most creatures would have a similar answer, even those that were not coyote or wolf. She could not offer him a family, but she might be able to offer him the other two, or at least some variation of them. She wasn't sure why she felt compelled to do so, but there was something about him that she liked, and of course, she saw the potential for an advantage. 

She studied him quietly for a few moments and then shrugged, wincing inwardly when the movement made her shoulder ache. Maybe we could be something like friends, she offered. We could talk every now and then, and you can tell me anything of interest you have learned while traveling, and I can give you companionship and a free meal as well as protection from the wolves of my pack. To be honest, she was interested in what all she might learn from him beyond useful information; he must have good stories to tell.

She looked at him and waited for his response, expecting him to decline, which would not upset her. He had no reason to trust her.
Inuttuk
Common
102 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
"Something like friends" was a bit vague and sterile (as was her description) with a pinch of condescending (Draper knew what friends were supposed to do). The real clincher was protection from the wolves of her pack, though. That was something he could use to his advantage, and it was probably the biggest reason he had tried to befriend wolves in the pack. The more he spread the good word about coyotes not being something to kill on sight, the fewer problems he would (hopefully) have. In fact, thinking about it now, perhaps that would become his mission.

That sounds like a solid plan, Draper replied.

Any knowledge in particular you're lookin' for out in the wilds? And is here a good spot to meet? Maybe we should figure out when we meet next.
Bramblepoint

player preferences
813 Posts
Ooc — hela
Warrior
Here is a good place, she answered first. If you call for me, I will hear you. I will tell my packmates of our deal, and order them to leave you alone. She didn't see any reason they would go against her wishes, especially if he was going to be an extra set of eyes for them. 

I'm mostly concerned about loners lurking around or anyone that seems like they might be looking to cause trouble, Simmik explained. Also, if you ever need protection and you're in the area, call for me, and I will help you. She would easily return the favor if it meant they could have a little more security from those that might want to hurt them or cause them problems. 

She looked up to the sky, then back to her new companion. Let's meet the next time the moon is full, she suggested. That should be a good amount of time.
Inuttuk
Common
102 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Last one from me!

Draper nodded, thinking this plan was good enough, minus one thing. Can't guarantee I'll be here at the next full moon, but I will try and narrow it down to a full moon so you aren't always waitin' on me.

He didn't exactly follow a schedule, and he didn't want to make any promises he couldn't keep. Besides, who knew where he'd be in a month from now? For all he knew, he'd be dead. Hah!

I'll see ya around, Simmik. Gonna go find a nice, safe spot to curl up and catch some Zs.
Bramblepoint

player preferences