Redhawk Caldera are you discussing or fussing or simply dreaming?
856 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Master Ambassador
Advisor
Coach
Rue thought that the idea of a Council of Regents had merit, although it was clear from the tight-mouthed way Towhee discussed it that the Sovereign was not thrilled with the prospect. Almost as soon as she suggested it, she tabled the idea, saying it wasn't the right time. 

It was Ruenna's time, according to Towhee. She thought Phox would need the time to recover, which might be true. Ruenna also imagined that he would need some time to gain the trust of the pack; he'd been gone long enough that their membership base had changed, and several might not even have met Phox. 

Conceptualizing the promotion as a temporary position while Phox convalesced weakened Ruenna's resolve to resist the suggestion. But Towhee was not satisfied with a hesitant receptiveness, even if it might eventually transform into compliance. She forged ahead, seemingly determined to destroy Ruenna's resolve entirely. She recounted Ruenna's service and accomplishments, but what changed Ruenna's mind ultimately was Towhee's assertion that she wanted Ruenna to rule with her

Ruenna had never denied Towhee anything that she wanted, and she wasn't likely to start now. 

"Okay! Okay, I'll do it," Ruenna said at last, with the air of a wolf being tortured into submission. Truly, all of the compliments were a little much for the humble Redfern, but she smiled even so. To answer Towhee's question, she explained, "I guess.. it will just be very new to me. All my life I've been bound to others in service, which I have liked just fine. I never sought out anything different. I don't even know what it will feel like to live in a different way, to.. navigate the new dynamic. With Phox, the situation seems even more delicate, because he was once a wolf that I served, and this promotion would technically reverse the roles." 

Ruenna paused for a long moment. It would be clear that she was not finished speaking, merely struggling for her next words. 

"The very last thing I want is for Phox to view me as a rival or with any bitterness at all. I had hoped that.. well, since Niamh.. he might- ..oh, I dunno," Ruenna finished with a faltering voice. She shook out her damp pelt vigorously, looking for all the world like she was trying to fling away her own awkwardness.

Ruenna experiences chronic lower back pain as a result of an accident from over a year ago. She moves with a very obvious, heavy limp.
Messages In This Thread
RE: are you discussing or fussing or simply dreaming? - by Ruenna - August 28, 2021, 10:01 AM