Lion Head Mesa what are the odds,
15 Posts
Ooc — anon
All Welcome 
It was not the wolves who told Mouseberry of her role, but Jawahir.

Mouseberry revolted at the idea of it, though only to they. In nature, it was true, The Runners served The Great Ones... from a distance! Not so close to their teeth that they could kill you. Those that were not swift enough had taught The Runners to be quick, and to be always wary.

And so, Mouseberry was a terrible attendant. It was difficult, to fight her very nature. She fought it by staying, and it was exhausting enough, though she was fed. To have a role among her Runners, that would suit her better, but Mouseberry had not the wits to argue. It was decided. 

It might keep the pale Great One away, Pharaoh he was called. Most of all, Mouseberry feared him, but her interactions with the rest were limited. Mouseberry was small, and Mouseberry was quiet. She would not make trouble. She would not seek it, either. It would seem that who she was meant to serve might be just as displeased by the idea as she, for to her knowledge (though Mouseberry mostly kept hidden) she had not been sought.

More wolves were here now. More scents. More beings to hide from. But Mouseberry was hungry today; she made herself small, to seek something to contribute this time. Not so starved as she had been to start, Mouseberry at least could understand there was a debt to repay.

But it was for, and to, Jawahir.
Raventhorpe
Læknir
833 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Medic
Sitter
Therapist
tamar was weary.

her nights had not been filled with sleep but shapeless dreams that plagued her until dawn.

she was listless in her productivity, fetching whatever satsu commanded, performing whatever task she was given.

it was a rare moment she took for herself. the maidservant meant to go out into the world, to find a place away from the eyes of the queen and arsenio and pharaoh, and sleep a black slumber.

instead the weary girl found herself nearly colliding with a delicate, shrinking creature, purpled eyes filled with fear and unease. tamar fell back. another servant? she had not seen this girl with pharaoh, and so she did not think the figure was pleasure thing.

"where are you going?" she asked, voice filled with curiosity.
15 Posts
Ooc — anon
A voice!

It was not ordinary for Mouseberry to be caught off guard, and she cursed herself for her wandering mind. She hastened her step, not too proud to flee, and did not look back. Not even when she heard the strangers voice. It was not the voice of Jawahir, and it could be one of the Great Ones.

The wind, though, was what did cause her gait to slow. Coyote. A Runner. And none with her.

Mouseberry wheeled about, step skittish as she regarded the stranger.

Pretty, she observed, giving herself further pause. That thought had never come to her, for any other. Mouseberry had never before had the luxury of time to assess another in such a way as this. It had only ever been they could kill me, or I could steal from them and live.

It occurred to Mouseberry then that she might die in this place, and if she wanted to live she ought to do as she had done for all of her life. Run.

Life had offered her no kindness or pleasure beforehand, and so a full belly and the breath she still drew had been reason enough to stay. Her paws (that had ached so terribly, but had learned to ignore) did not bleed from going miles beyond what she should, to not be hunted... and the hurts they had felt were fading.

For now, she stayed simply to restore the food she had eaten. To thank them. Then... then she could go.

She could go before all of that; she could do as she was meant to, as her ancestors would after they had done their thieving. She would have, too, had it not been one of their own that led her to this place.

To find food, she answered, to refill what I have taken, to explain further. She had not the social graces to think to ask the same of her companion, who had been going somewhere before happening across her.
Raventhorpe
Læknir
833 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Medic
Sitter
Therapist
she was slight and beautiful. 

"i will go with you," she said upon impulse. she wished to know more of the girl who had come from nowhere. "i am tamar. i serve the queen."

she supposed they all did, in a way. but the redgold girl knew there were two groups within akashingo. "it seems we are in the same debt." her smile was tight yet affable. 

tamar said nothing now, only walked in silence wherever the un-stranger might lead.