Moonsong Glacier in the king's hall without sound or silence
Moonglow
Gamma
w a y w a r d s o n
266 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Limit Two 
Raiyuk — set for shortly after they meet with Ariadne. Pls respond at your leisure.

There were no preparations that needed to be made before his departure, but Valiant lingered anyway. He wanted first to meet the young hunter that'd come up from Moontide. His name was one that Valiant recognized, and his scent was slowly becoming familiar as well.

"Raiyuk, right?" he said as he approached. "I'm Val. Pleased to meet you."

There was more, of course. Valiant did not wait long before broaching the subject that'd been on his mind.

"You stay at that... structure." It was not a question, but the intent look in his rose-gold eyes plainly hoped for elaboration. "The wood den."

He did not know what it was called. Where he'd grown, they slept on the open tundra unless one was a mother with children. They stayed in dens dug into the earth rather than built up from it. He was fascinated by the altar that Ariadne had built, and he was fascinated too by these wood dens he had no other name for.
live and die on this day,
live and die on this day
Moontide
Adolescent
194 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
This was a man that was the same age as his father, or Dutch, and held a passing family resemblance; but Raiyuk was focused on his work so he did not fully register this connection.

When the man spoke of Moontide, Raiyuk nodded and answered, Yes, my father's lodge. It seemed a peculiarity to this man. Those of Moonsong and Moonglow lived in their ulax - was a lodge so different?

Are you a friend to Moonsong? He must be or else he would not be here! The boy didn't know what else to say.
Moonglow
Gamma
w a y w a r d s o n
266 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
His father's lodge — Valiant filed the word away for future reference, glad to fill in that gap of knowledge.

"I am," he agreed. "My brother, Dutch — he stays here. He asked me to help out while he's away. And you're from Moontide."

But this was not what he had come to speak of. He asked again about the lodge: "I've seen you building workin' on it. The lodge." Alright, so that was also not a question. Now he asked: "Is it hard to learn?"
live and die on this day
Moontide
Adolescent
194 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Brother! Immediately Raiyuk was more interested. He knew he had seen this man before, likely when he'd come to his own village and only in passing, but now as he looked upon Val he saw Dutch in his face, and a familiarity which now registered properly.

The man was interested in the lodge, and Raiyuk was glad to speak of it.

It is a lot of work, which he said as a way to answer the question; but it didn't really, and Raiyuk gave a shrug. There is much to learn about gathering the materials, but once that has been taught, it is only a question of effort.

He went on to explain as his father had, about the use of pine boughs, and gathering of bark, and the use of the existing trees as supports. I am working to add a place for my lodge-brother Matteo, so that he may stay with us. And for my brothers and sisters when they are born. For this he was excited, but Raiyuk spoke of it now with such ease, as if all of this was to be expected in the spring.

He did wonder about Valiant, though.

What is it like to be a brother?
Moonglow
Gamma
w a y w a r d s o n
266 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
The process was fascinating to him. Having lived a largely nomadic life, there'd been little time to find a den, let alone build one. But he liked this idea of a lodge. It was a place to store that most precious of possessions: family. Valiant heard louder than ever that ticking of the biological clock. He wanted to be young enough to enjoy his children, and he was quickly running out of his youthful years.

"That's a good question," he said with a huff, realizing he'd never thought to put it into words. Brotherhood, he thought, was something not easily quantified. "First, tell me what a lodge-brother is," he suggested. "Is Matteo blood to you?"
live and die on this day
Moontide
Adolescent
194 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Thus far in Raiyuk's life, his father had not hidden much from him. If he had a question he was given an answer. If he wanted to learn a skill, he was shown. He had come to expect a certain level of interest and involvement from other men, and was attentive when Valiant went on to give his answer; except it wasn't much of an answer, because it was a question.

Raiyuk wondered if this was meant to be an exchange then. He'd already spoken of how the lodge could be built and maintained; now he was asked about lodge-brothers. Matteo.

He is not blood. His mother and father are not among our village, so my father has brought him to our lodge. He is lodge-brother; not blood, but kin now. It felt so obvious to him but he answered kindly, patiently. Now would the man tell him an answer?
Moonglow
Gamma
w a y w a r d s o n
266 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
The answer was about what he expected, but still somehow surprisingly close to home.

"It's like that," he replied. "Only, Dutch is my blood. My cousin. My parents died when I was young, so I traveled with his mother for a time and stuck around after he was born. I remember bein' real proud I could help out with 'em the first go around. Then when she had her next set, I just remember feelin' scared when I saw how small they were. The older I get, the smaller they seem to be. It takes a lot of work and care to get a little baby grown to your size. But shoot — you realize one day it's not just a baby. It's a whole person you're real glad to have in your life. Someone you can grow to rely on yourself."

His smile was tired. Just thinking about the coming season made him weary with worries.

"So I'd say it's good to be a brother of any kind. And you'll be glad to have Matteo even more than you are now once you see those lil faces, sure enough."
live and die on this day
Moontide
Adolescent
194 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
The things that Valiant spoke of were heavy. Of dead parents, of losing a lodge and becoming one with another. Perhaps that wasn't exactly how it went — he had lost his parents and gone to his family, who rightly kept him fed and safe. Raiyuk saw similarities between this and Matteo's situation, and this but his own with his mother who was gone. It would be good to have Matteo with them, he reasoned — agreeing with what Valiant went on to say.

He listened also, and gave the man a smile. He is a good lodge-brother. And when my brothers and sisters arrive, they will be brothers and sisters to him also. This he knew without having to say it, but by speaking it Raiyuk hoped to instill the universe with good favor.

Ah, I should be on my way. He did not want to leave Valiant, suddenly, and wanted to press him with more questions about family; but now was not the time for this, as they both had places to be and tasks to accomplish. He gave the man a small bow of his head and flashed him a somber smile.