Moonsong Glacier or at the altar, standing thin as the air
Moonglow
Gamma
w a y w a r d s o n
261 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
He'd gotten used to traveling with Dutch, and the past several weeks without him had been strange. Valiant hadn't realized just how lonesome he'd felt until he had a wolf beside him once more — and @Raindrop was easy company on the trip, buoying his spirit further as they drew near to the glacier.

"The leader here's called @Ariadne," he explained as they crossed the border into the territory. "And her momma's in charge of the pack next door, and her sister the one next to that. And her brother in law over on the coast — that sister died this year. They don't say her name."

Grim words, but he wanted Raindrop prepared to face the news; Ariadne seemed likely to bring up anything that crossed her mind. It was endearing to the isbjørn, but he didn't want such things to take his new friend by surprise.

He gripped the care package between this teeth. Presumably he'd set it down to speak or something. Maybe he spoke around it? I sorta forgot about this thing but he has it, alright? And he carried it up the mountainside, his pace quickening as he caught the young leader's scent. His tail whisked when he found her.

"Sorry I'm late," he said in greeting, setting the bundle down in front of her. "Your momma gave me that for you — and this here's Raindrop. I asked her along for the hunt."

Please let me know if I should change anything about the post! :)
live and die on this day,
live and die on this day
Moontide
Trader
Rainwoman
223 Posts
Ooc — Maddy
The traveling had become second nature for Raindrop, as she’d done it for many months since early in the year, when she was dropped off in this, at the time, new place. But being that she had gone from the Coast, to the Flatlands, she was somewhat familiar with the terrain, despite the snowfall.

Having company always did make long trips seem much more exciting. Someone to talk to besides oneself. As the neared the Moon pack, he filled her in on who the Alpha was, the neighboring packs and their alphas, and the death of an unnamed woman. “Wow, seems like a family affair.” She spoke lightly, with a smile accompanying her words, but the smile faded in respect for the fallen. “I’m so sorry.” 

Throughout the trip, he, Valiant, carried with him a package of some sort. Perhaps a gift, she assumed? 

They neared a mountain side, and she followed close behind him, however, she’d gotten somewhat accustomed to climbing. As soon as the reached the top, they were face to face with Ariadne, a very beautiful wolf. Raindrop lowered her head in respect, and gave a wag of her tail as she introduced herself: “You must be the Alpha, Ariadne. I am Raindrop, and it is an honor to meet you.”
Active weekdays: 
Most days of the week. (Subject to change)
(PST: Pacific Standard Time)
Moonglow
Eta
writing letters addressed to the fire
551 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
Valiant had taken longer than Ariadne had expected, and she had grown concerned for him. She was relieved when she spotted him climbing up the cliff with another wolf and waited for them with bated curiosity. When they reached the top, he quickly apologized, and she shook her head. It is alright—I am happy you are back. I really appreciate you taking that package for me. She glanced at the parcel on the ground and sniffed it, wondering what Kukutux had prepared for her. Did she say what was in here? she asked.

Raindrop was introduced in the same breath, and Ariadne smiled at her. I greet you, Raindrop she said; it was a fitting name for the woman with rain-colored eyes. Welcome to village Moonsong.

Are you hungry? Thirsty? she asked, knowing how challenging the climb was. Come, I will feed you, and with that she picked up the package, turned on her heel, and began to lead them towards the nearest cache.
Moonglow
Gamma
w a y w a r d s o n
261 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
"I didn't know her," the isbjørn admitted. His tone conveyed that he, too, was sorry for the family's loss.

Ariadne, of course, was a bubbling cauldron of positivity. He'd been just a little nervous that he'd misread the situation and he might be chastised for bringing a stranger into their midst, but the village head's first course of action was to try and feed said stranger. Valiant could see why Dutch had settled in so easily with these wolves — he was always trying to feed strangers, too.

"Some plant mixtures, mainly," he said, following after her. "I'll know which is which once you open it."

Probably.

To Raindrop: "You oughta meet Miss Kukutux, if you get the chance. She knows everyone, seems like."

This was important to a traveler. Without a pack at his back or a territory to be found in, it was only through wolves like Kukutux that he could be reached. It was a place to check in for messages, and a person who could be relied on to know his face. Even wolves who were meeting her for the first time might think to ask such a woman if she knew Valiant, if they were determined to find him.

He held a secret hope that, one day, one of his siblings might try to find him.

To Ariadne: "She asked after you, 'course. I told her you were healin' up."
live and die on this day
Moontide
Trader
Rainwoman
223 Posts
Ooc — Maddy
The two of them, Valiant and Ariadne, shared a few words, conversed over the package. She, Ariadne, had then greeted Raindrop, with a kind and warm voice, like that of honey. She nodded, acknowledging her greeting, “Thank you.”, then replied to her question of Raindrop’s needs: “Water and a bite to eat would be amazing.” She said with a smile, then turned to reply to Valiant, after Ariadne turned on her heels to lead them to the nearest food cache. “That sounds good. Perhaps you can introduce me.” She told him with a playful little nudge from shoulder to shoulder.

The alpha led them to a wonderfully filled food cache, like nothing she’d seen before. “I haven’t seen this much food in quite a long time.” She spoke softly, “The land must be blessed here.”
Active weekdays: 
Moonglow
Eta
551 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
Some plant mixtures, mainly. I'll know which is which once you open it. Valiant said.

Ahh, Ariadne said, voice muffled by the pouch. Well, I thank you for bringing it back—it is greatly appreciated. There was a smorgasbord of smells, some familiar and others not, but soon enough, she'd figure out what Kukutux had prepared; the mention of her mother brought a stiff smile to her face; her wound from their last encounter festered. Thank you for filling her in, she said, trying her best to conceal her feelings.

She brought them to a well-stocked cache, stepped aside, and placed the parcel on the ground as she watched them marvel at the contents. The mention of the land being blessed brought a smile to her face. I have done much work to bless this place, she said, her tail wagging. But glaciers are lucky in my culture—they are the resting place of one of our goddesses, Sedna. She could go on about the subject, but she was sure they were hungry. But, enough about that—go ahead, she encouraged. Pick whatever you would like!
Moonglow
Gamma
w a y w a r d s o n
261 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Valiant thought he recognized a tone when he heard one, but he could only guess at what that slight pinch of the girl's features might mean. He glanced at Raindrop, wondering if it was a woman thing that she might spontaneously translate, but was glad when Ariadne simply moved on without comment.

He wasn't terribly hungry after his unnecessary slaughter of the turkey, so he chose something small from the cache to be sociable while Ariadne glowed under Raindrop's praise. His lips quirked in a secretive smile; he was thinking about his conversation with Kukutux, which made him think about Vairë for the first time since his departure from her mother's home. The two sisters seemed similar in many ways, but Ariadne's youth, he thought, still shined through.

"I was able to check on your altar," he remembered. "Some things did need replenishing — but I took care of it."

He hadn't yet built his own, but it was becoming clearer to him lately that Moontide was not the place where he would stay.

"Raindrop hasn't heard much about the Moon villages," he said to Ariadne. "I thought you'd be better to tell her about it than me."
live and die on this day
Moontide
Trader
Rainwoman
223 Posts
Ooc — Maddy
The alpha, Ariadne, had led to a well stocked cache, rife with food and prey of all kinds. She didn’t want to appear greedy or desperate, so she simply took a chunk of venison. She thanked the kind woman for this food, and politely dug in. The taste of deer had almost been refreshing, something to take delight in. 

Meanwhile, as she ate, he, Valiant, spoke to Ariadne about an alter, then he noted that Raindrop hadn’t heard much about the moon villages. This was an understatement, as she knew nothing of the packs who resided along the coast. She shook her head briefly, showing her lack of knowledge, then she smiled, “I would be delighted to learn of you and your fellow Moon Packs histories and customs. I do enjoy learning new things.” She said with a wag of her tail, and the looked around, “I also wouldn’t mind exploring this glacier. The land is beautiful.”
Active weekdays: 
Moonglow
Eta
551 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
"I was able to check on your altar," Valiant remembered. "Some things did need replenishing — but I took care of it."

Ariadne's heart skipped a beat; he remembered! Oh, she breathed, feeling tremendous relief at the news. That is wonderful—thank you so much for the help. How can I repay you? she asked, knowing the chore wasn't something he'd had to do.

There was prompting from him that Raindrop was unaware of the villages, and she was happy to oblige with his request. It all started with Moonglow, which my anaa founded after her pack had experienced a horrible natural disaster. Moonspear, my anaa's original home, was re-claimed a few seasons later by my sistraa, Sialuk. Then, my sea-dwelling sistraa and her fiance founded Moontide, where Valiant checked my altar. I lived there for a time, too, until my sistraa unexpectedly passed while giving birth. Out of my grief and a need to get away, I founded Moonsong not too long ago.

You are more than welcome to explore to your heart's desire, and I can accompany you if you wish! I am just afraid I will slow us down with this broken leg of mine! she looked down and huffed; she was tired of being bogged down by it. But I am more than happy to join you if that is your wish.
Moonglow
Gamma
w a y w a r d s o n
261 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
"You're already feeding me," Valiant pointed out, embarrassed to be thanked. He was grateful to have Raindrop around to take up Ariadne's focus, preventing them from getting too far into any discussions of repayment. Valiant didn't know what more he could have asked for, nor whether Ariadne might take this at face value or insist.

As expected, Ariadne told Raindrop of the recent loss in her family. He was coming to expect it from the moon wolves, and he'd begun trying to be equally forthcoming. Even so, he was pleased to have Raindrop there as a buffer between himself and the young leader.

"I'd be happy to have you along," he replied. "We don't wanna tire ourselves out before the big hunt, anyway. If you're up for it, you oughta come with."

He looked only belatedly to Raindrop to see if she felt the same.
live and die on this day
Moontide
Trader
Rainwoman
223 Posts
Ooc — Maddy
What a day: She had been able to be fed, be in the company of others who were extremely kind and more than generous with their time, and she got a history lesson. She intently listened to Ariadne’s words, the Moon Pack’s history, which absolutely fascinated her. Times of loss, and times of joy, this is what built people up, made them strong. “That’s fascinating.” She beamed, then stole away her smile, “But I am sorry for your losses. It’s not a feeling I’m unfamiliar with.”

For the first time in a long time, she felt like she was grounded somewhere, not getting blown away by the wind. Comfort, this must be what she was feeling, so comfortable that she let slip a piece of her past. But this was okay…right? — She took her thoughts elsewhere as Ariadne then mentioned that she had the freedom to explore to her hearts content. “Thank you, very much. I will most certainly take up your offer.” She looked to Valiant now, smiling, “I think that’s a great idea.”

Quote:Should we consider fading into another exploration thread? Maybe key points in Moonsong’s territory?
Active weekdays: 
Moonglow
Eta
551 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
I guess you are right, Ariadne said to Valiant with a laugh.

With the plan agreed upon between the three wolves, Ariadne looked between the two wolves with a smile. We have many interesting places, but I think the seals are the most impressive, having seals in her territory was like a party trick; everybody loved seals. Would you like to visit there first?

Sure! Last post from me!