Moonglow
Alpha*
3,122 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
Private 
the shimmer of painful ice in the duck's chest was with her when she rose.

the laughing face of her girl was behind her eyes when she closed them. that expression was the first thing considered before she woke.

but her children also struggled, and to lose their focus and the traditions which had sustained moonglow was not acceptable.

afternoon sunlight dazzled the stones to glowing prisms. here she called to @Ariadne, jadestone eyes granted something more than anguish today.
[Image: pSj9vo4.png]
Moonglow
Eta
writing letters addressed to the fire
552 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
There were many things that Ariadne did to keep her mind off of Samani's death. One of the things was collecting little trinkets that reminded her of Kukutux, whom she deeply fretted over. Her mother had not been doing well the last time they'd been together.

When the hail came, Ariadne quickly collected the items and wrapped them in a rabbit pelt before setting off to see her mother.

Mother, She greeted in their native tongue, panting as she placed the pouch on the ground,  leaned forward, and kissed her mother's chin once she arrived. It is good to see your face. She searched that face as her voice fell silent, wondering why she'd called.
Moonglow
Alpha*
3,122 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
a white feather, detailed and silken.

a shell which held the peach-hue of her late daughter's pelt.

her eyes throbbed.

the last, a rabbit's foot — she ran her paw over the soft fur and looked up toward ariadne.

"i have been thinking of — a time when grief has lessened. rodyn will marry again."

now, meaningfully, her eyes rested on her daughter.
Moonglow
Eta
552 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
Ariadne was oblivious to the lines between Kukutux's words. She found it odd that they start the conversation out like this, but, stranger things had happened and she went with it.

We should start looking for a wife for him, she agreed, feeling her mother's stare. One who is beautiful and kind, and who will raise those boys right.
Moonglow
Alpha*
3,122 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
"i had thought you, ariadne."

it was almost the sea-daughter's name spoken — she reached a paw to her child.

"these are beautiful. i will put them on my ice-altar." rote, polite; words formed in her mouth and fell away, unable to be spoken.
Moonglow
Eta
552 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
I had thought you, Ariadne, Kukutux said.

Me? Ariadne echoed dumbfoundly, feeling as if the rug had been swept from under her feet. I— She thought of Chakliux and his encouragement to think for herself and consider what she actually wanted. She did the same here, and tried to picture Rodyn in that light—

—but, unfortunately, all she could see was his crying face. She preferred her men to be traditionally masculine and strong-faced, especially in moments of great turmoil.

Why me? she asked, her voice quieting and her gaze falling to her mother's paw as she was thanked for the presents.
Moonglow
Alpha*
3,122 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
"because you are sister. because you are nuiruk. because is a fine hunter and a strong provider."

springmelt would bring change for ariadne. at the center-core of her very spirit, kukutux did not wish for more grandchildren.

but new life formed new paths.

the greenjade eyes were searching. "it can only be your choice. i have said no words to him on this, daughter."
Moonglow
Eta
552 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
Ariadne's internal deliberation was plausible. Although she'd been told it was her choice, a part of her yearned to be complicit and make her mother happy. But, ultimately, she couldn't shake the feeling of how wrong this felt; Samani''s death ulaq was still warm.

I ... do not wish to have Rodyn as my husband, she finally said, frowning and averting her gaze. He is a great man and will make another very happy, but I am not the woman for him. She sighed, feeling uncomfortable knowing she was likely disappointing the moonwoman.
Moonglow
Alpha*
3,122 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
kukutux nodded gently. "it is not unknown for a man who has lost his wife to marry her sister. i have seen it done. but it is not for you, so it cannot be for me."

she would let this moment pass into her own mind, to be unspoken once more. and there would be no disappointment for ariadne to bear.

raimo entered her mind, unbidden, and kukutux put him out of it.

her face contorted; she dropped her eyes back toward the gifts and touched the softly accented face of the shell. "sialuk is anaa now, with her own village and her own children. you are second oldest, for kausiut is not here. i will need you in the moons that come, ariadne."

a breath.

"a woman walks forward, always."

the duck, refusing to let her melancholy slight so many things, now mustered a smile warm if not wan. "your brothers, they grieve. but they will become hunters this year. they too must turn their eyes toward a future."

her island child. her sea-traveling-girl. pain clutched at all of her for a dizzying moment. "we will remember her at winter hunting."

she had failed to gather the words for that, and so it had not yet been arranged. "the caribou gather in the taiga. let us come together and remember your sister when we prepare for the long snows."
Moonglow
Eta
552 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
She nodded and put a paw on the moonwoman’s. I will be here for you, anaa, she promised, seeking her gaze. These woman will walk together, always. Just let me know what I can do, and I will.

There was a pause where she thought of her ambitions, dreams, and the ideas she had shared with Chakliux. With the talk to future ends ours, she couldn’t help but feel tempted to speak her thoughts.

So, to test the waters, she said, This woman has been thinking about the future and what I want for myself, and I was thinking about a village of my own, she said, observing her mother with a sidelong glance.
Moonglow
Alpha*
3,122 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
another village.

another place of moonwolves.

it soothed kukutux and her languishing spirit. "aya! where do you seek, daughter?"

in this would she support ariadne, though secretly she felt it would be a better thing that the shining-water wolf stay in moontide, bear children there to support her sister's claim.

a horrendous thought came to her now. 

panuk and rolayne had no spirit names! their mother had died before they could be given.

this must be quickly fixed.
Moonglow
Eta
552 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
Kukutux's excitement was infectious, and Ariadne smile widened as she explained, I am not sure yet—I just know that I want to live closer to you and Sialuk. I also .... she hesitated, looked around and quieted her voice, do not wish to live next to the sea—I have heard stories of how the ocean has destroyed lives, and I do not wish to risk my village that way.

I do not want to anger the sea by admitting this, either. Can I do anything to appease it and ensure Moontide is safe? Even after I'm gone?
Moonglow
Alpha*
3,122 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
at this, moonwoman felt sorrow flow within her. the long dark and the great salt had always been part of her existence since first breath. it belonged to aiolos in this way as well, and even ariadne had been born to the shining water.

but, she reminded herself, the love she bore for the great plain of water was her own. 

ariadne had known the darkness of the sea, what it took. what it had taken. kukutux could not find fault in this, though she did not wish her daughter to turn her back forever on the waves.

"we will give something to the water. good fat. good skins. gifts. we will ask sedna to bring calm. we will thank her for bringing your sister peace."

tears stung her eyes.
Moonglow
Eta
552 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
She made a mental note of what to collect and nodded. I will start collecting everything for it, she promised, placing a paw on her mother’s. And look for a perfect spot—close to the ocean. Would Sedna be able to see it from there?

Ariadne looked up and noticed the tears in Kukutux’s eyes. We will build and move to the future, she said, squeezing her paw once before letting go.
Moonglow
Alpha*
3,122 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
fade? <3

kukutux nodded.

a daughter returned to sedna. another built a home.

the moon turned among them, in cries and in power.

their power meant sacrifice.

ariadne would build for the time that was to come.
Moonglow
Eta
552 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
Whatever was to come, Ariadne had faith that Sedna would guide her. She stayed with Kukutux a little longer, discussing logistics, until she felt it was time to go.

She returned to Moontide later that evening, her mind abuzz with ambition and ideas.