writing letters addressed to the fire
560 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
Read Only 
Tag for reference!

THE FIRST SONG

"A spirit who has left the world in so harsh a way may be angry, may be confused. The blood will hide us from her eyes. We must sing her to Sedna, encourage her to leave this world and travel through the throat of the sea to the dancing lights." @Kukutux had said; Asivaq hadn't anticipated using the lessons she'd learned from singing the death songs so soon.

She made the necessary arrangements: the death ulaq was built, and her son was placed inside, but the entrance was not closed yet. There blood was upon her eyebrows, and salt was on her cheeks.

"it is time to leave
it is time to leave this place of sorrow
it is time to lift from flesh and walk to home
do not be afraid
Our voices walk with you, beloved spirit—"

—her body shook, and her voice hitched, overcome with emotion, and she fell to the ground as she began to wail, consumed by grief once more.

How would she make it through this?

She did not know.
Moonglow
Eta
560 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
THE SECOND SONG

The death ulaq was closed, and her offering of salmon was placed upon fern leaves. She pushed it toward the den; he needed strength for this journey.

Grandson. Son. Beloved.

He had been all of these things and more.

”go now to the path of the lights
lift from bone and spirit and blood
this is the time for you to depart
we will sing you to the dancing lights
be at peace. be at peace.”

How would she make it through this? How would she find peace?

She did not know.
Moonglow
Eta
560 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
THE THIRD SONG

Asivaq knew that her son now walked between the moon and stars, his spirit lifted from their earthly plane. She was careful as she picked her way through the forest, keeping her eyes and ears open for any sign of spirits that came to her, wearing the face of the child gone too soon.

"spring has come
time of budding leaves
the time of the warm air
do you hear them?
do you hear the deer running in the forest?
their hooves make a song to lead you into the night."

She chanted and cried; two forces guiding her son further away.

How would she make it through this? How would she find peace? How would she continue to find her voice as it faltered?

She did not know.
Moonglow
Eta
560 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
THE FOURTH SONG

There would be no singing tonight. There would only be crying—the release of the pain that'd constricted her heart since her son had died.

But with all of her screaming and wailing, there was no relief. She remained on the ground, blood dry upon her brow and salt lining her cheeks. This was unlike anything she'd felt before; how could she let go and release all of it when it felt all-consuming?

How would she make it through this? How would she find peace? How would she continue to find her voice as it faltered? How could she let go of the pain?

She did not know.
Moonglow
Eta
560 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
THE FIFTH SONG

She had hardly known him, but she thought of who he could've been—who he should've been. A son. A warrior. A child who made his mother proud.

”my son
go to the stars
go to the arms of sedna
hear my voice
i am with you
the old gods will give you a new chance to be born
the spirits walk with you
do not be afraid. i am with you
do not turn back
do not look back.”

How would she make it through this? How would she find peace? How would she continue to find her voice as it faltered? How could she let go of the pain? How could she be there for him when he was so far away?

She did not know.
Moonglow
Eta
560 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
THE SIXTH SONG

i ask for healing
the bright leaves and the rich earth do not change
i shed our sorrow
i will weave it into a wrap for your shoulders
carry it to the dancing lights
you have my love
you have my love.

She kneeled before the death ulaq, tear-stained eyes fixed upon the tomb. She repeated the words as though her life depended on it, rocking as her son journeyed further and further away.

How would she make it through this? How would she find peace? How would she continue to find her voice as it faltered? How could she let go of the pain? How could she be there for him when he was so far away?

She did not know—but her doubt slowly began to lift.
Moonglow
Eta
560 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
THE SEVENTH SONG

She did not know—but her doubt slowly began to lift.

There were no tears left to cry; she needed to trust the process and those who guided her son to the dancing lights.

With a brush against her cheek—she gasped!—Tootega whispered the sacred words in her ears:

a time for new things
a time of change
the ice raises its shoulders
it waits to feed upon the earth
son of mine, you are almost there
climb through, climb through
your journey is almost ended
your journey is almost ended.

She repeated, and her heart grew lighter.
Moonglow
Eta
560 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
THE EIGHTH SONG

Another night without singing—the first without tears.

There was comfort in knowing that he had made it to the dancing lights. Comfort in believing he was among his own and hunting with them.

She laid before the death ulaq and watched the sky, imagining her son's image made of starlight. Oh, she was so proud of him! She almost cried.

She did not know—but her doubt slowly began to lift, and she felt peace.
Moonglow
Eta
560 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
THE NINTH SONG

On the final night, she now knew, and her doubt slowly began to lift, and she only felt peace—for now, at least.

be at peace
we will not forget your name
we will not forget your face
goodbye
goodbye.