Moonglow
Alpha*
3,119 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
All Welcome 
her step was brisk to the glacier, and when the cold wind crept into her alabastrine hackles, she saw carried upon its spine was the scent of others.

notably, kigipigak and chakliux.

for this she distinctly did not care, and without preamble she sent up a call for @Ariadne. between falling crimson leaves and the curl of ice beneath her paws, she trotted along a very new trail in searching. along her back was slung another skin, and into it was caught the last sticks of dried meat from the summer, slices of venison and elk left to curl beneath a hot sun.
[Image: pSj9vo4.png]
Moonglow
Eta
writing letters addressed to the fire
542 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
She was much stronger than the last time she saw anaa, and there was even a newfound and subtle strength to her demeanor. She walked as a leader did, proud and with a presence that couldn't be ignored. She was a light, reflecting against the glacier's mirrored exterior.

When Ariadne found Kukutux, who had not been too far off when she'd howled, she quickly pulled her mother into a hug. It has been so long since I have seen your face, she said, pulling away and noticing the dried meats she'd brought. I am sorry for not coming to you sooner—this leg has been slowing me down. Among other things, like the establishment of village Moonsong.
Moonglow
Alpha*
3,119 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
kukutux kissed the soft cheek and shook her head. "it is all right. i know you have many tasks."

her healer's eye drifted over the leg; satisfied, moonwoman pulled the wrap from her shoulders and laid out a small meal for she and ariadne. "the men who are here with you have stories that your ears must hear." her voice was stern, but the firmness was not for her daughter.
Moonglow
Eta
542 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
"The men who are here with you have stories that your ears must hear." Kukutux said, laying out the meal for them.

Ariadne sat, feeling the weight of her mother's words; she did not like how stern it sounded. Her heart's beating began to pick up, and a lump formed in her throat as anticipation overtook her. Please, she insisted, inviting her to begin.
Moonglow
Alpha*
3,119 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
she could see that ariadne did not know, and took no pleasure in what would come.

first, she told the story of sakhmet, kivaluk, and kigipigak, whom her daughter knew as kilgitsuk; that he had not come back for his son, that aiolos and kukutux had married her and given the status of moonglow to kivaluk as if had been born to their hearth.

and secondly, the story of chakliux; how he eyed all the moon sisters and lay recklessly with nasamik before they were married, resulting in children. how aiolos had challenged him. how he did not cease his ways of wanting others.

"i know your ways will not always be mine," kuktutux ended, alluding to the practices of sialuk that ariadne might well emulate. "and i do not think these men to have bad things in their hearts. but you will be a woman before the snows have ended. and they will seek your sleeping-place. before you share it, know the things they have not said and decide if you wish them as fathers to your young ones."

she studied ariadne's face, softening. "your taataa and i have raised many, many children together. i chose him. he chose me. that is all it took."
Moonglow
Eta
542 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
An unexpected weight settled in her stomach and heart; the stories had changed everything. She felt suddenly small, like a child again, and she moved to tuck herself into her mother and bury her face into her breast.

Although the information about Kilgitsuk—no, Kigipigak—was concerning, what she'd been told about Chakliux crushed her heart into a million little pieces. Her voice was quiet, and tears began to wet her cheeks. Do you think Chakliux's kindness is only to get to my sleeping-place? she asked. That he will leave if I give him what he wants?
Moonglow
Alpha*
3,119 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
"aya, aya." her arms came to cradle ariadne close, her chin between the sorrowful ears. "i do not know chakliux. but do not forget he is married. the wife of a seal hunter is first woman, no matter how many others he may enjoy."

"better he leaves than sees you as something to be won, ariadne."

and that too, hurt in the truth. 

"you need women here, in your village. men often leave to hunt and do not come back. a woman returns to her village and her people."
Moonglow
Eta
542 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
All she could do was nod and hold the words close to her heart, knowing this wasn't something she could ignore. She would have to ask him the questions that might break her; the truth was unkind, but maybe it'd set her free in the end.

She looked up at her mother at the mention of women in her village. One has joined me—Tulugak. She is from a village up north but wishes to help stay and help village Moonsong. She is kind, and capable, and smart, and I much like her a lot. But then, that was all Ariadne had: a woman's line when she needed a circle.
Moonglow
Alpha*
3,119 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
raven.

"it is a good omen. listen to her words," she encouraged ariadne. "i am sorry to bring these truths to you, my daughter. but i know you must have them. you will know what to do."

kukutux took a breath, exhaling it; she encouraged the same of her young moongirl, enjoying their embrace even if it had come due to the trials of men.
Moonglow
Eta
542 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
You do not have to be sorry, Ariadne assured Kukutux. It is better that I know. She nestled closer, seeking one of the few smells that always steadied her nerves.

How to I attract more women to my village? she asked next, having no idea how. Pray? she ventured; it was the only tactic that came to min
Moonglow
Alpha*
3,119 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
"ask sedna, yes, but decide what it is you wish for children. will you be the only mother here? will you allow other women to bring new life to their own hearths? even if a woman does not wish for a husband, babies will still be born and a home that embraces them will grow swiftly."

the incentive and encouragement of healthy children in a safe land would bring women, would bring mated couples, kukutux felt. and perhaps not so secretly now, she had the hope that ariadne would find but one good man to make her mate.

her mother, too, would gather names. out of them all, it was kannoyak of whom she was most fond.
Moonglow
Eta
542 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
She thought about this and quickly decided she did not want to be the only mother in Moonsong. I want as many children in the village as we can support, she answered, considering her own words at length. What did that even mean? If there aren't many bodies in the pack, then I suppose it would only be my children ... but I will pray to Sedna that that won't be the case. She wanted her children to have friends, grow with them, and learn from each other. Selfishly, she also wanted women who also reared children so that she could find kinship in motherhood.

I will do what I can to attract women to village Moonsong, she promised, pulling her mother into a hug again. Is there anything in particular I should offer Sedna for this?

Thank you, anaa, for everything. I love you.
Moonglow
Alpha*
3,119 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
kukutux kissed the soft temple. "things from woman animals. the fur of a doe. the tooth of an elk cow. ask sedna to send woman so that your village may grow."

her heart sang for moonsong, even as it hurt for the sea island girl she had lost. they had all lost her.

but her eyes were filled with pride as she pulled back to look at ariadne.
Moonglow
Eta
542 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ambassador
I will do that, she promised, already thinking of the items she could add to her shrine. Ariadne and Kukutux continued their conversation until it was time for village Moonglow’s head to leave. Before she left, Ariadne pulled her into a big hug and then watched as she left.

There was a lot she had to think about; she did not where she was going to go from here.